Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic Finding Areas for the average Fishy.

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Kryyn, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Kryyn

Kryyn IncGamers Member

Magic Finding Areas for the average Fishy.

Well, my MFing runs are getting boring. I have 200 magic find, my merc has an added 50, the problem is that I've been doing pretty much every popular MF and I'm bored, are there any places people don't normally go to yet have good drop rates? I have Enigma, so getting there fast isn't really a problem.

2. Shock

Shock IncGamers Member

Re: Magic Finding Areas for the average Fishy.

In terms of anti boredom factor, full clear WSK'ing is your best bet imo. Anything can drop there and it has the random monster generation thing. If you're really bored, why not run all the act bosses, and clear all the lvl85 areas in 1 run?

3. Kryyn

Kryyn IncGamers Member

What are all the level 85 areas, do you know? I hate the worldstone keep. Lol. Damn Black Souls/Gloams are mean. I suppose I'll just pop on my Wizzy and T-gods. That sounds fun.

4. Shock

Shock IncGamers Member

I'm not sure why you only have 200mf if you can afford an enigma. You should have at least 500+mf imo. lvl 85 areas are pits, mausoleum, ancient tunnels, chaos sanc, and of course the WSK - there's more (maggot lair lvl 3, sewers lvl 2, etc) but they are not worth the effort imo.

Fishys probably have the easiest time vs. gloams - just dodge the lightning and wait for 1 to go down, then CE the lot. If there's a group of them far away, then cast a golem in the middle of them.

5. Kryyn

Kryyn IncGamers Member

200% works for me. I don't like having less troops. Even with my 600 MF sorceress it didn't make a noticeable difference.

6. braincrasher

braincrasher IncGamers Member

Just full clear WSK and Baal. Souls are probably the easiest opponent to fishy. Dim vision ftw.
    For mf %, remember: killing power > mf, about 300% is good in most casses.

7. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Summoners are good at clearing areas with lots of monsters, but not very quick with bosses. So good areas are The Pit, WSK and possibly Chaos Sanctuary.

8. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Personally i wouldn't worry with chaos sanctuary. there are very few random unique spawns(possibly none ive been out of it too long to remember).

Pits is probably the best bet(albeit boring) for speed of clearing and ease. WSK is good just for the challenge

9. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

Clear act 5 dungeons, but not the little ones in the middle of the fields (Abadon, etc...). There are plenty of casters and archers to keep you on your toes. I also enjoy doing the Act 5 fields, but that's me. Also, have you tried Plains of Anguis/Despair/City of the Damned (Act iV before River of Flame)? IMO one of the best areas graphically and many chests and cool looking creatures. I never get bored there, I always feel like I'm in a Dante poem when I clear those areas. The TC's are good too.

If you're running bosses, MF over 350 won't add too much, but if you're clearing areas 400+ will increase your unique drop rate significantly. In my mind it's like playing slots. You can play the big machines a few times with less money, but the chances of getting the jackpot are much lower no matter how much money you spend. Playing the little machines with a lot more money will yeild much higher success rates, because you're increasing your trial density (yes I just made that up), or to bring the idea to D2 terms, you're increasing the amount of items per time played, and I believe each of those drops has the increased MF% applied to it, so it will act as an aggregate toward your unique occurence.

I could, of course, be dead wrong.

10. solutionx

solutionx IncGamers Member

I was doing hell pits and andy until recently. At the moment I'm doing CS in nightmare for the mid lvl drops such as SoJ, magefist, and a better Gheeds charm. It's a lot more fun than pits/andy in hell difficulty, at least; and although the droprate for high level items is low, good mid-level items have a higher droprate.

Also, since it's nightmare CS, I just storm through to Diablo pretty damn quickly with CE even without Enigma or high-end gear.

If that's too boring for you, I suggest doing Nihthalak and Countess in hell for keys. It's a nice change from repetitive MF runs.

11. solutionx

I take it all back. Clearly I have no idea how to use ATMA.

12. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

Huh? My summoner takes down any boss with no problem really quickly. Maybe we have different concepts of what is quick though.

13. Pillz

Pillz IncGamers Member

I run pindle to countess to baal with my fishy. I forgo running through WSK because i'm impatient and souls+OKs annoy me :)

14. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

a fishy can go and MF anywhere they damn well like.

short of Uber Trist (which is certainly possible for a fishy geared up for it), a fishy can solo anywhere in hell, naked.

there is nothing PvM they can't do.

15. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

8 player cows...
    But that's really the exception - not likely to MF cows in an 8 player game anywhow...at least not solo.

I would say Smiter, Lit sorc, H-din, etc... are fast. But time isn't everything, I think fishy's get style points for just being able to sit back and watch :)

16. solutionx

Am I missing something? Why do people say 8-player cows is difficult? I've yet to run into *any* problems at all other than having to make sure cow king isn't around. WSK and CS are harder than hell cow level on 8 players, in my opinion.

Uber trist... I can not speak from personal experience, but you only have to do some youtube searching to see a necro with enigma tearing it apart solo using nothing more than revive, teleport, decrep, and terror. Smiter no doubt solos it a whole lot faster (5 seconds per uber boss what the hell?) but the point is a fishymancer can do it, too.

17. nerdly

nerdly IncGamers Member

I'm not saying it's hard, but because of the 8x life modifiers of the Cows and no bonus to the skeles, this can make life a little interesting at points. Also, CE doesn't scale up the damage for 8 players either, making the fishy somewhat less effective. I'm not saying it can't be done, but the prep time could be a pain.

As far as uber tris goes, I don't think I mentioned that one, but once again you run into prep time, and I'm using speed as a major factor. There is a difference between "can do it" and "owns it". The smiter with a cheap CB/stacked res setup can have the Three down for the count while the fishy is still building his army. I'd say that's a clear victory. Of course, argument will ensue...

18. mephiztophelez

mephiztophelez IncGamers Member

rubbish.

judicious use of Amp Damage, Dim Vision, Confusion (be careful with this one) and Attract curses make even 8-player cows a walk in the park for a fishy. the odd bone-wall is also helpful.

once you get a couple of corpses, you can set up a corpse-explosion chain reaction that can damn near clear out the whole cow level. just keep leading the cows back to a patch of corpses and let 'em have it.