Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic finding and rune finding

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by jm8103, Jun 7, 2005.

1. jm8103

jm8103 IncGamers Member

Magic finding and rune finding

I have heard (and read alot of posts here on the forum) that an increase in magic finding should increase the chance of finding runes, but from Lord Urlik's Rune Finder's Guide v2.0 (dont rememer where i got it from anymore ) i got the impression that less magic finding gives a better chance to find runes (go zod :D )... dont know what to believe...if it's true that "less is good", then i really need to get some new outfit for my meteorb sorc when i wanna do runefinding :confused:

hope u guys can share som light om this little mystery

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

MF% has *no* effect on runes whatsoever --- it will NOT increase or decrease the number of runes dropped, and it will not affect the type of runes.

This is because MF only affects the choice of items turning magic, rare, set or unique. It does not affect the type of item that is being dropped...

3. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Well if you havent got any MF on the chance for DII to pick uniques, set and magic items do decrease hence less items to drop. But if it will increase the chance for DII to pick runes... I dont really know. But I sure would like to know! :D

4. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

Increased MF values don't improve rune drop chances. The type of a drop is determined long before any MF checks are done. You can improve rune drop chances by joining or creating games with many players in it since normal monsters drop more items then.

5. jm8103

jm8103 IncGamers Member

Is that the only way to improve runedropping?

6. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Isn't it so that, when doing countess runs, wearing less mf actualy makes the countness drops more runes because she will drop less items?

Bert

7. jm8103

jm8103 IncGamers Member

That was my impression too, but it seems to be wrong when reading the replys ..

8. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

No. MF doesn't have any influence on the number of items. You probably mix this up with the player numbers. In fact the countess may drop more runes when there is only one player in the game. That is because she has a special drop for runes, but the total number of items is limited to 6. You need no-drops from her normal drop to be filled by this special rune drop.

9. slam

slam IncGamers Member

somewhat tied into this, does the number of players in the game affect hellforge drops?

also, in general, does being partied make a difference over not being partied in games of equal players when it comed to magic find?

10. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

if people are in act 4 and havent done the quest, and are partied with u, they will complete the quest and more gems will drop, but not more or better runes.

more players in game = more drops from monsters = bigger chance of good items

11. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

-For the number of items that drop: unsure. (I THINK that if players are partied AND in your area, then they count more, but I'm not guarenteeing that)

-For the chance of any specific item to be anything: no.

12. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

Yeah, people partied and in the same area count as a whole extra player, people unpartied or out of range only count as a half (and halves are rounded down before they are used too).

Note that monster life is scaled with the total number of people in the game, partied or not. So it isn't all that efficient to hang out in a full game but by yourself.

13. CameronFoster

CameronFoster IncGamers Member

Process for dropping an Item.

You kill a monster

we will say it only drops one item.

The game "rolls" to see what type (Rune, Sacred Armor, Scroll of Tp Etc)

Then if it is a Rune it "rolls" to see what rune it will be.

If not then it "rolls" to see if it is unique, set, rare etc.

It rolls to see if it is unique first, the higher the Mf you have, the higher the chance it will be a unique. Lets say it fails to roll unique.

Then it rolls to see if it is Rare/Set (Not sure which one it checks for first.)

Lets say it rolls Set.

Then the game rolls for each of its stats.

As you can see Mf is taken into account long after the game determines whether a rune/ what rune drops.

THis has been said 100000000000000000000000000^1000000000000000000 times.

MF has absolutly no affect, whatsoever on your chances to find a rune, nor does it have any affect on what runes drop.

~CF