Magic Find sorc

Standard Legal Tender said:
Solo cs is pretty easy with din, and quite profitable with GG exp in full games which are the only ones I do. On the good days I can find 1+ soj worth of GGs, on bad days I still get a bulk of exp at lvl 90

Yes it is easy to solo cs with a din. But this is a thread about sorcs ; ).

scotterjay

Diabloii.Net Member
Sup

um i got 5 SOJS and ill 3 of them for free 1 each to people only problem is i cant use battlenet so,if u got hamachi or can setup a game post reply to this and tell me ur ip ill join and bam u got an SOJ or 2... ill keep tryin to get more.

p.s im a 84 amazon and wanna play with any 1 ill even start a new char like that fire sorc or something.

fledgeling

Diabloii.Net Member
can anyone confirm the andy bug described here?
make a game - you need to start in act1
teleport to andy open a portal - come back to town and talk to akara and cain
kill andy

repeat
does this work this way?

2) how many points into cold mastery are needed to kill mefisto? I remeber 17(after skills) is told to be enough for PvM, can anyone confirm?

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
To avoid the Andy bug on a difficulty, you'd need to kill Andy in a game on a difficulty for the first time with that char, the quest open and exit the game before talking to Warriv. Make a new game and talk to Warriv there. This way you will NOT get the quest drops every time you kill Andy on that difficulty with that char.

If you talk to Warriv in the same game where you killed Andy and got the Andy quest, you will be contaminated with the bug.

As for Cold Mastery, I allways just fill it. What are you going to do with those remaining 3 points on a Meph running cold sorc anyway.

Monzee

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok ill give you some info on the Andy bug.
You make your game, and you must be sure you start at act 1.
if you make game and you start in act 4, move to act 1 and remake it.
then you goto catacombs 2.. teleport your way to level 4.. in there you must open a tp and go talk to akara. this is before you kill andy.
now when you talk to akara dont forget to buy some health and mana pots, you will need them for the battle vs andy. then you talk to cain, tell him i said hi, and then you can go kill andariel. oh and the bug is that each time you kill her is like the first time you kill her. so usually better items :)
Just need to correct the info because I'm afraid whoever informed you about this didn't have much clue to what he was talking about. For doing the andy but you simply make your own game with q open. Teleport to andy and kill her. Now for the only "kind of" tricky part. Tp to town and ONLY talk to warriv and make him take you to act2. At this point I just save/exit and from there on andy is bugged.

Monzee

Diabloii.Net Member
To avoid the Andy bug on a difficulty, you'd need to kill Andy in a game on a difficulty for the first time with that char, the quest open and exit the game before talking to Warriv. Make a new game and talk to Warriv there. This way you will NOT get the quest drops every time you kill Andy on that difficulty with that char.

If you talk to Warriv in the same game where you killed Andy and got the Andy quest, you will be contaminated with the bug.

As for Cold Mastery, I allways just fill it. What are you going to do with those remaining 3 points on a Meph running cold sorc anyway.
Teleport for making a great rusher sorc :wink3:

17 points in cold mastery including +skills is ideal for pwn as you cant lower monsters resistance with more than 100%. Only skills that can do that would be conviction and maybe lower resist curse. I do not know about the latter.

fledgeling

Diabloii.Net Member
Uh, my sorc is level 52 at the momement and I can kill Andy any time, but I'm still not sure what to do, in order to get Andy bugged (it will be a Meph glitcher, but well, glitched Andy would be a great asset).

Am I supposed to kill Andy (in a game I open with the sorc), talk to Warriv, go to act2, then exit game? Will this bug Andy for me, so I get 5 good items each time?Do I have to do anything else when I create a new game?

I have tried this method (kill Andy - to get the quest, talk to Warriv, go to act2, then exit game) and it hasnt worked... - I get bad drops e.g. gold, potions etc

In addition, mephisto has 75 CR in hell
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act3-mephisto.shtml
Does this mean, that my cold mastery should remove only 75 cr? Will additional cold mastery make me do more damage vs him (e.g. 150 cold mastery would mean 75% more damage? I dont think so)

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
Uh, my sorc is level 52 at the momement and I can kill Andy any time, but I'm still not sure what to do, in order to get Andy bugged (it will be a Meph glitcher, but well, glitched Andy would be a great asset).

Am I supposed to kill Andy (in a game I open with the sorc), talk to Warriv, go to act2, then exit game? Will this bug Andy for me, so I get 5 good items each time?Do I have to do anything else when I create a new game?

I have tried this method (kill Andy - to get the quest, talk to Warriv, go to act2, then exit game) and it hasnt worked... - I get bad drops e.g. gold, potions etc

In addition, mephisto has 75 CR in hell
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act3-mephisto.shtml
Does this mean, that my cold mastery should remove only 75 cr? Will additional cold mastery make me do more damage vs him (e.g. 150 cold mastery would mean 75% more damage? I dont think so)
1 pt in static is enough to static him down to 1/3 life VERY quickly. the method most of us mephy runners use, is to fire our kill spell (usually a timer based one like blizzard, frozen orb, or meteor) in between spamming static, rinse, lather and repeat.

I use twitch most of the time, with a rezzy shield, and keep a 4 row belt with one column of juvs for an emergency, one column of red pots, and two columns of blue pots.

I average 2 red pots per mephy kill, and rarely have to juv, unless I accidentally teleport into a pack of mana burning/aura enchanted fiends on the way to durance 3, or in the council area

fledgeling

Diabloii.Net Member
Uh, but how can I glitch Andariel???

1 pt in static is enough to static him down to 1/3 life VERY quickly. the method most of us mephy runners use, is to fire our kill spell (usually a timer based one like blizzard, frozen orb, or meteor) in between spamming static, rinse, lather and repeat.
I know that static is good. I have this skill on every sorc, including my blizzard sorc. It really helps vs Diablo too in CS games.

I use twitch most of the time, with a rezzy shield, and keep a 4 row belt with one column of juvs for an emergency, one column of red pots, and two columns of blue pots.
I still havent decided what gear to use. Currently I'm using twich with a 3diamond shield, a 24fhr belt with 2 resists, a pair of 30rw/10fhr boots with resists, and shard/magefists combo. This allows me to get nearly 75 all resists, without any jewelery.

Im not sure, however, how much fhr do I actually need. Currently I have 24fhr (belt), 20fhr(twitch), 10fhr(boots) => total of: 54 fhr
I think the breakpoint is 48? The belt is not the best though, it has fhr, dual res and life but only 2 rows of pots. So perhaps I could stick with 30fhr?
Please note however, that my sorc will be BOed.

I think I will stick with the 3 diamond shield (I could use a ward too), despite it's fairly low block chance. If I find a better shield, I will use it on a sorc I use duel with.

I average 2 red pots per mephy kill, and rarely have to juv, unless I accidentally teleport into a pack of mana burning/aura enchanted fiends on the way to durance 3, or in the council area
I was thinking about using hawkmail at some point, because this "big orb" attack of mehpisto seems to do a lot of damage. If it is based on cold, maybe I could reduce it's damage with hawk?

Monzee

Diabloii.Net Member
About the andy bug this is how I've always done it. Create private game with sorc. Teleport to andy and kill her. Tp to town. DO NOT speak to any other npc EXCEPT for warriv and make him take you to a2. When there save/exit. Worked every time for me. But having this glitch does not always ensure 5x rares per drop. Players in game also affects the amount of rares..

So in a 1 player game I usually see 1-3 rares/sets.

Murrogh

Diabloii.Net Member
One way to do it is, take a character who has not completed andy quest.

Join a game where the maker has completed quest, you can check with your quest log

kill andy if you see: cannot complete this quest in this game.

It will produce the same quality drops as monzee's method. The upside of this method is that it can also be done with mephisto. And is made for public games so you get more items.

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
in the many hundreds of mephy runs I did, I found that his scary frozen orb didn't hurt as much as a lucky "critical" strike from his melee attacks.

but that was also more than likely due to my method of attacking, I fly right up under his chin, and static away, meaning he's more inclined to use his melee attacks, where the block comes in more handy.

I guess I'm confused on how/why the andy glitch isn't working properly for you.

all of my sorcs have the andy glitch, that way, regardless of which sorc I use, if I'm bored, I can get quest drops in a game that andy hasn't done.

I did it much like has been described here. Kill Andy the first time, talk to warriv, and only warriv, then exit game. Come back to finish rush in act 2, and voila, I get quest drops every time thereafter.

*shrug*

that being said, my drops from andy have never been super impressive, even when I made a dedicated andy runner. mephy has been far and away better to me in the past year or so.

phool

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a meph glitch sorc who runs andy perfectly well as well, I just join a decent CS run and run meph then andy while they CS. Andy is nastier to tank than meph I find, normally I only static 3-5 times then use blizz to finish, either using the door trick or well timed teleports. Fire sorcs are better andy killers, at least with good gear - you can just tele on top of andy and spam fireball - but in classic can't handle meph as well which is worth doing. Games with 3+ players are recommended for andy especially.

goomba said:
Kill Andy the first time, talk to warriv, and only warriv, then exit game.
yeah, all there is to it. Unfortunately if you didn't get it right the first time you'll have to remake or glitch andy in the manner meph is glitched, by never progressing past that act. Which kinda sucks.

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a meph glitch sorc who runs andy perfectly well as well, I just join a decent CS run and run meph then andy while they CS. Andy is nastier to tank than meph I find, normally I only static 3-5 times then use blizz to finish, either using the door trick or well timed teleports. Fire sorcs are better andy killers, at least with good gear - you can just tele on top of andy and spam fireball - but in classic can't handle meph as well which is worth doing. Games with 3+ players are recommended for andy especially.

yeah, all there is to it. Unfortunately if you didn't get it right the first time you'll have to remake or glitch andy in the manner meph is glitched, by never progressing past that act. Which kinda sucks.
I find andy tougher with a fire sorc, than mephy.

Andy is surrounded by annoying fire immune carvers, that while they usually don't kill ya', they are annoying, and frequently block fireballs, or put you into block/hit reaction mode whilst trying to spam andy if you are right on top of her.

fball/meteor, and static dropped mephy far quicker than my static/orber ever did.

*shrug*

Akukami

Diabloii.Net Member
If I remember correctly, I was eventually going to make an anti-Glitcher to compete with other Glitchers in games towards the end of the 3rd Ladder, and that happened to be an FBaller. Not only would it Orbers at bay, but as Goomba said, it cuts down Meph faster than Orb/Static. However, either Sorc is good to use on Meph as long as you know what you're doing.

- Akukami

phool

Diabloii.Net Member
I would probably go for frozen orb if I wanted to pk glitchers. My current glitcher (blizz) is very prepared for fireball sorcs but doesn't stack cr at all, though I would probably get a 3 psaph shield if it was happening a lot. I'm a bit surprised at your taste for fire vs meph, the dot fire damage component is great if using the moat trick but I still wouldn't like to sacrifice CM against a monster with 75 all res.

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
I would probably go for frozen orb if I wanted to pk glitchers. My current glitcher (blizz) is very prepared for fireball sorcs but doesn't stack cr at all, though I would probably get a 3 psaph shield if it was happening a lot. I'm a bit surprised at your taste for fire vs meph, the dot fire damage component is great if using the moat trick but I still wouldn't like to sacrifice CM against a monster with 75 all res.
it may have been the method I employ to kill, as I never did any calculations, but the perception was definitely one where the fball/meteor/static dropped him far faster than orb.

perhaps in part the pool of burning fire he was standing in from the last meteor whilst I static'ed him? again, I fly right up under his chin, meaning he's not as inclined to run around on me, instead preferring to whack at me with his giant arms. this also puts me right on top of the drops in case another glitcher arrives as I am wrapping up.

as for the pk/glitcher, I love spurs for some strange reason, and usually have a pair on each of my sorcs, or at least in the pack, and frequently also have a hawkmail in the cube for if I get hostiled mid run.

:)