Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic Find sorc

Discussion in 'Classic' started by pwn, May 28, 2005.

1. pwn

pwn IncGamers Member

Magic Find sorc

Ok, i want to make a mf sorc. Correct me if im wrong, but i think best place is andariel in act 1 hell. Im playing hardcore so Mephisto is a bit dangerous, especially if you teleport into the wrong mob, which can easily happen.

Ok so how would i go about this?
    Do i max fireball and its bonus skills? or Meteor Shower? or Fire hydra?
    Is it ok if i seriously injure the boss and only last second switch to mf gear?

Do i need to put any points into ice orb?
    Also what would be the best gear to get a high mf percentage?

If you guys know of better ways for Magic find, other than fire sorc for andariel runs, please tell me.. thanks..

2. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

Maybe you should make a sticky called: Pwn's Questions (never-ending) ;)

3. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Fire and ice

To the fire questions...Meteor does do the most damage but Andariel attacks rather quickly so unless you are good at leading your targets, you may wish to put those points in Hydra or Fireball.

I like to put at least one point in Frozen Orb (it's really best to put about 10 in but if you aren't going to use it frequently, one will suffice).

And to the Andy question, she is a great boss to run magic finds on, given the infamous glitch associated with her death.

4. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

5. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

Fire sorc is best for mfing andy. you dont want high mf or else only uniques and sets will drop. Use ~50 mf, then use the rest of your gear for blocking, resists, fcr, + skills, and hopefully reduced poison duration.

Teleport to andy,static her then bomb her with fireballs. You should be able to survive the weak fire immunes there (their mostly fallen and zombies)

This is the best way for getting sojs and nice rares.

Fred

6. EonBlueApocalypse

EonBlueApocalypse IncGamers Member

[Quote from fredsta54]
    =====================
    Fire sorc is best for mfing andy. you dont want high mf or else only uniques and sets will drop. Use ~50 mf, then use the rest of your gear for blocking, resists, fcr, + skills, and hopefully reduced poison duration.
    This is the best way for getting sojs and nice rares.
    =====================

The concept of not getting all the mf you possibly can (around 50) is very intriguing to me. I wonder though, wouldn't this also decrease your chance of getting rares, and yield mostly magical drops? Also, you say this is the best way for getting sojs, but that is unique -- wouldn't only ~50 mf make getting soj very difficult?

I did not consider keeping my mf low, but this may be a great idea.

(Also: totally off topic in every way, but can someone please elaborate on the andy bug and how to do it?... thanks alot)

7. pwn

pwn IncGamers Member

Ok ill give you some info on the Andy bug.
    You make your game, and you must be sure you start at act 1.
    if you make game and you start in act 4, move to act 1 and remake it.
    then you goto catacombs 2.. teleport your way to level 4.. in there you must open a tp and go talk to akara. this is before you kill andy.
    now when you talk to akara dont forget to buy some health and mana pots, you will need them for the battle vs andy. then you talk to cain, tell him i said hi, and then you can go kill andariel. oh and the bug is that each time you kill her is like the first time you kill her. so usually better items :)

8. Still-Xey-Lover

Still-Xey-Lover IncGamers Member

So like a first drop bug? I'm pretty sure a first drop bug would be: you dont kill andy in hell and you go in games where people have teh andy quest and you kill andy. Another bug i heard was you do every quest in act 1 in sequential order and then you'll get better drops. This was at www.lld101.com and was for xpac so i dunno.

9. Fumbler

Fumbler IncGamers Member

Yes, it would decrease your chance of getting rares, magical items etc. (and soj's of course). So the best advice is to have as much mf as possible - as long as you can survive and still kill pretty fast (and only you can find that balance) :)

10. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

actually at classic hell andy you dont want too much mf. cuases mostly uniques and sets to drop.

only 1 good unique and rares that are worth several sojs

11. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

I have accually noticed that when I have highter mf more unque/set items drop off of bosses, but they are interdespersed with magic items and net rares. To me it seems that with higher mf the items are at the top and bottom and not at the middle.

12. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

IMO I would go with as much MF as possible. The best legit mf setup would be tancs armor, tancs ammy, chancies, 40mf rings or nagels, gull, milbreagas, rare 20mf boots, goldwrap, 3 perf topaz helm or uniqe skull cap. Though since you're on HC I would go with a more conservitive set up. Get 70fcr a few skills some resi then try to tie in some mf.

13. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

Mf also increases your chance to get rares.....I'm not sure where you are going with this.

Here's a drop calculator for ya:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/dropcalc/

It works for both classic AND expansion.

From my experience, it is as close to dead on as you can get.

Back to the main topic.

Monsters with a higher mlvl will drop higher ilvl rares. This may or MAY not make them better, as some migh lvl mods tend to be rather useless.

That being said, I have found that aside from soloing chaos (which as a sorc in classic = suicide) your best bet is to do hell meph, andy, AND Duriel. On classic, hell duriel has THE best chance for dropping an soj, followed by hell Andy). Now while the fireball/meteor combo will own Andy time and time again, doing runs that fast will get you r/d, and I'm sure that isn't your intent.

I would go with a blizz sorc, with moderate mf. While more mf is allways better, there comes a point where you lose killing power and the ability to survive attacks that comes into play when you sacrifice too much.

My blizz sorc setup:

Current lvl: 81

Skill point setup:

Blizz:20
    Mastery:20
    Glacial Spike: 20
    Ice Blast:20
    Ice Bolt: 6
    Telkenisis: 1
    Warmth: 1 (any additional lvls and this will get increased, as blizz is doing enough damage)
    Teleport: 1
    Static field: 1
    Frozen Armor: 1
    Shiver Armor: 1

Gear:
    Head: 44% Tarn
    Body Armor: Twitch
    Belt: Goldwrap
    Gloves: 24 fr 18 cr 22 mf gloves
    Boots: 20fr/w 39cr 36 lr 22 mf boots
    Shield: 47 ward (I planned on using a 3 p diamond sock grim or bone, just never found and at this point, not worried about the extra 10 rez, I'm maxed on fr and lr, and cold is at 60. Andy dies to fast to worry about poison, that's what pots are for anyways).
    Rings: 1 +15 str +12 dex 18 fr 17 lr rare ring, the other is a soj/nagel depending on my mood. I tend to like the extra skill and extra mana so I usually stick with the soj.
    Amulet: +1 17 priz +38 mana +45 (or so) life 15mf ammy.
    Weap: Shard

Stat placement: Str: enough for gear.
    Dex: ditto
    Vit: Rest
    Energy: 100

When using an SOJ, she has 850 life, 540 or 550 mana (can't remember off the top of my head), does 2.5 k max dmg on blizzard with lvl 23 mastery.

Note: I recommend IF you are botting, you change the Tarn with a 3 sock p ruby helm for added life, and you REALLY need the soj for the added mana. If you can find a real good stacked sheild (30/20 grim or bone) with priz, and stacked cr/lr, pdiamond it instead of using a 3 pdiamond shield or ward. Otherwise use a pdiamond grim (if you have that much str) or a pdiamond bone.

Other popular choices are of course using a gull and a ptarn (150 mf just from there), and then making sure you have 2 fcr rings, fcr in your ammy, and mfists.

14. Murrogh

Murrogh IncGamers Member

3sock bone

"I planned on using a 3 p diamond sock grim or bone"
    bone and grim shields can only have 2 sockets

15. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

Indeed. Hence another reason why I didn't use 'em : )

16. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Sardon you should read the forums rules before posting. This site does not condone the use of 3rd party programs so please restrain from mentioning them because it may get you a ban.

17. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

All I said was "if" someone was to use a bot, they would probably want added life and mana.

I'm just trying to be helpful here.

18. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

As was I. I don't like seeing new members get banned. Which that has been happening a lot latley in the classic forum?

19. sardoniclysane

sardoniclysane Banned

Ok, consider me hushed about 3rd party programs.

20. Standard Legal Tender

Standard Legal Tender Banned

Solo cs is pretty easy with din, and quite profitable with GG exp in full games which are the only ones I do. On the good days I can find 1+ soj worth of GGs, on bad days I still get a bulk of exp at lvl 90