Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic Find problems???

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Voidtec, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Voidtec

Voidtec IncGamers Member

Magic Find problems???

I dont have a clue what the problem is, but for the last 2 months, I havent gotten a single decent unique, rare or magical on any of the bosses, not a single one. When I say a decent unique, I mean something better then what you would get in normal games. I am getting crap that low level people wouldnt even touch. I average several hundred runs a day, so you can imagine my frustration at this point.

I'm running with 243% MF or 292% on switch when I remember to switch. My merc has an additional 100% or so I think.

Whats the problem? I figured the % MF I'm using would be fine to at least get SOMETHING out of all these thousands of runs.

Another thing I've noticed is that countess only drops AMN runes for me, nothing else.... Really weird.

Is there a point where the MF becomes "broken" for lack of a better word?
    I have no clue what the game problem is, but after having done thousands of runs over & over in the past 2 months, you would think the random number generator would drop something past a normal game item.

Getting to the point where I'm thinking whats the point...

Any ideas, I'm stumped.

2. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

Bad luck

Really, it's just bad luck. MF cannot become broken; more MF is always good, but it suffers diminishing returns after around 300%, meaning you get less bang for your buck after that point. So around 300% after switch should be fine.

You're just having bad luck. Or perhaps you have so much good stuff now, that the stuff you are finding now that is junk to you, may not have been junk to you before.

But I promise MF isn't broken. Diablo is a program, it doesn't decide one day to stop letting you get "good" things.

BTW, when you say "good things", keep in mind if you want to discuss it technically, "good things" are items out of the higher tc's (treasure classes). In that regard, a crappy elite unique is ALOT BETTER than a Skin of the Vipermagi...it's much rarer.

But something tells me that's not what you meant. ;)

Like I said, bad luck.

3. Georgemofo

Georgemofo IncGamers Member

Where are you doing your runs?

4. Voidtec

Voidtec IncGamers Member

Doing my runs at Hell Mephisto, Countess, Baal, Cowies, shenk, etc....

On a side note & update, I finally got some items to start dropping today after I posted. One of the items was a Nosferatu Coil. However, looking at diabloii.net, either that website is incorrect for the 1.10 stats, or my belt that dropped is a bugged 1.09 version.

Mine has 62 defense & only 5% life leech, however everything else is in line with the 1.10 version. Can anyone else with a 1.10 nos coil confirm whether its 62 defense & only 5% life leech for the new version?

Almost forgot to mention, I had also found a nice 500+ def archon plate with 4os in it, had it on the ground, while I logged one of my other accts on to change it over, and the thing disappeared like right before my eyes. I'm not kidding, it just like poofed into thin air. Dunno, some really weird things going on lately in this game..

5. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

Every time I speak up on this matter I get flamed.
    I have noticed repeeated runs in the same area with the same equipment - especially same MF - results in the "blue death". As this cannot be proven or disproven it is only a matter of empirical evidence. Make up your own mind. Diablo might be a program, but the realms have smart programmers who have done a lot of work to limit botting. Try not to look like a bot and your MF won't get nerfed. Do different areas or start a new char. Again empirical evidence only - I notice good drops when entering new areas.

6. Oddity

Oddity IncGamers Member

If you took detailed notes on this, did a large # of runs and recorded all your drops, including any failed sets/uniques...

But for now... :)

7. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

You're gonna need a whole lot of empirical evidence to back such claims up. Drop rates are well known, and there are no smart programmers on bnet that would change that. Now that WoW is out Blizzard won't spend any more time on Diablo2.

8. Lensor

Lensor Banned

All items on ground dissapear after a set amount of time, some faster than others, the time depends on the "value". Unique items can be on ground for a quite long time (not exactly sure how long). White items, such as your archon plate, money and potions, dissapear much faster. I think after around 15 minutes. Hence, if you are muling socketables, you should work fast, or remember to touch the items now and then, to "refresh" them.

9. SeDnA

SeDnA IncGamers Member

Uniques/Sets/Magic Disappear after 1 hour exactly.

10. ChthonVII

ChthonVII IncGamers Member

You're getting junk sets/uniques, therefore your mf is working fine.
    Mf only effects quality. Chance alone determines base type.
    Overall, your rate of sets, uniques, failed sets, and failed uniques is probably right where it should be -- that is you're finding as many sets & uniques as you should be, or as any other player with the same mf. It's just that you've had the bad luck to draw a heavy number of bad bases on those sets & uniques.