Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic find in classic?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by stanzaman, Apr 16, 2005.

1. stanzaman

stanzaman IncGamers Member

Magic find in classic?

What are some of people's favorite places to magic find in classic? I tend to go after a lot of the super uniques myself, as they seem to drop well. Here are some comments about some things I have tried (mostly with a WW/find item barb):

Travincal Council: Easy to get to, usually not much of a problem to kill, but you have to be careful as there are some lethal combinations you have to watch out for (triple enchantment is the worst). Every once and a while there will be a physical immune one. Seems to be one of the most profitable places to run, especially with dual gulls+find item.

Mephisto/Durance 3 Council: As of 1.10, now nearly impossible to get to in Hell, unless you use a program whose name I won't mention (nice way to thank the legit players, Blizzard). Bremm Sparkfist can be a nasty one to deal with. I usually don't bother with this anymore. Not to mention stygian dolls.

The Battlemaid (Ruined Temple, Stat point quest): Pretty easy to find (usually in the upper left of Kurast Bazaar. Easy to kill, usually a few random boss packs in the Temple too, usually aren't too hard. Seems to get decent drops.

Stormtree (Between Lower Kurast/Flayer jungle. Pretty easy to find, take the lower kurast WP, then head left, then down): Easy to kill unless he's mana burn, then forget about it if he starts his frenzy attack. Usually a few other boss packs nearby too.

Chaos/Diablo: Seems to be too hard to solo with any character in any reasonable amount of time with any decent amount of MF. But seems to have decent drops.

Andy: Takes way too long to find unless I'm a sorc. Andy never seems to drop well.

Rakanishu/Tristam: Lots of bosses, pretty easy to find, but can't drop the high end rare modifiers. Usually don't bother unless I'm getting a leg.

Bone Ash (Cathedral, take inner cloister WP): Trivial to find, lots of boss packs, but usually lots of immunities here. Unsure on whether Bone Ash drop King's mod or other high level rare modifiers.

Fireeye (Palace level 3, take Arcane WP and then go back through portal): Easy to get to, easy to kill, usually lots of boss packs in Palace 3 too. Seem to get good drops here, but don't even think about if you are a fire sorc.

Cow King: Great drops, especially with Find Item. But hard to run, as the killer obviously can't be a maker too.

The Countess/Tower: Lots of boss packs, but can't seem to drop high end rare modifiers.

The Pits: Haven't tried this much. Is it worth it in classic? Can you get high level modifiers here?

2. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Hmm...thats not my exp or too many other ppl's. Compared to meph and diablo, andy is easier to get to, and has a drop that is fabulous compared to the other non act boss super uniqs u mention. Yeah, sorc or barb just leaping around can get to andy fairly quickly. You must know about partying with someone else to get a better drop....

Dont party with ppl who just stand in town and wait for u to find the bosses...make them earn their keep...

If u have a friend in the game, find andy or any other boss with your sorc. Orb any mobs in the room to smithereens and then static andy way way down. Then exit and bring back a mf barb. They should have a tp ready for you. This allows u to max mf on the barb and kill even with gull(s). Take lots of pots and full rejuvs with u, using find potion if necessary, max mf will make u take alot of damage while u tangle with andy to get the kill.

3. dantheman5415

dantheman5415 IncGamers Member

I tend to do Hell Travincial with my mf barb. With a good damage martel, its a breeze to clear, and with dual gulls and a decent lvl Item Find, you can expect lots of rares and gold.

4. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

I typicaly do Hell Andy with a Orb/Static sorc does it quick and painlessly. I don't run to much mf about 100 I would say. I get decent drops some nice rares, but as of now im looking for a high damage 2 handed weapon perferbly spear or poleaxe, I might go mace any one know where the best place to look for one with a static/orb sorc?

5. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

I know this is long gone but,

Does gambling rings with a Nagel and Manald on you qualify as MFing? :p

6. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

that "trick" doesnt work anymore, buddy.

7. Amarande

Amarande IncGamers Member

Too bad, too. It seems to me that restoring the old 1.06 classic gambling rules for 1.10 classic would be an enormous help to the D2 community.

Since many people play hybrid (they field both LOD and Classic characters), and SOJs are very important on the LOD side (mostly because of Diablo Clone and Annihilus), making them easier to obtain would tilt the balance back towards us legit players (a balance which has been tilted against us for a long time now in public games). Restoring the old gambling rules seems to me like it would be the easiest way to achieve this.

It is easy to transfer items from Classic to Expansion (all that is needed is a throwaway mule character which is converted after xferring items from the finder on Classic), so it would really only be needed to do this conversion on Classic.

Also, this would go another step towards making Classic, well, Classic. Since 1.08, we haven't really had classic D2 anymore; it's basically become LOD without the new LOD items or classes, and a few classic rules (such as no dex being needed for block) kept here and there ... it would be very nice if Blizzard were to, if they ever make a new patch, restore Classic to its original (pre-LOD) rules :)

8. stanzaman

stanzaman IncGamers Member

You need a monster that can drop King's mod if you want a truly high damage weapon. Your best bet is probably Andy (I still have never had any luck running Andy, but if you do go for it). Another good bet would be Fireeye in in Act 2 Palace. He can drop King's mod and that whole level is pretty much all fire immune monsters. Otherwise, you can try running Mephisto, but he's a pain the ass.

With the lousy rares I have been finding with magic find in 1.10, perhaps your best bet would be to build a maul barb and get either high end Steeldriver or Bonesnap (either one is good enough to get through hell for PvM). Then you can upgrade if you ever find a decent martel.