Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic Find. How much do I need?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Lilmirander, May 26, 2005.

1. Lilmirander

Lilmirander IncGamers Member

Magic Find. How much do I need?

http://img279.echo.cx/my.php?image=magicfind3fn.jpg

I'm ripping my hair out because I'm not getting the items I want despite all the time I'm spending. The only decent items I have had so far are the uniques are usually get. Jade Kris and that two handed sword with the 9% leach for both mana and health. I've had some run ins with +skill items but I'm an assasin. Am I doing something wrong?

2. befkonijn

befkonijn IncGamers Member

maybe u should try making a sorc, they can do mf much faster because of teleportation, 300mf + should get u better items then jade kris! what realm are u on?

3. Lilmirander

Lilmirander IncGamers Member

I am on US East. And what exactly should I be able to find with that high MF?

4. befkonijn

pitty u're not europe nl :) i would help u get 300mf

stuff that would work =

full tal set with helm and armor socket perfect topaz, that would already take you above 200 then the unique nagelrings (up to 30 mf each) goldwrap belt 30 mf, ur already nearing 300 mf and then ofc you have chance guard gloves, splendor shield (eth-lum in a 2 sock shield)

if you dont wanna go for a full set:

shako (helm) 50 mf --> with topaz --> 74 mf
    skullders (armor) mf depends on character lvl --> +-100mf (more with topaz)
    occulus (sorc weapon 50mf)
    then same rings, belt and shield as above and you will be nearing 300 mf again

also try to get some charms with magic find to fill up your stash a bit

grtz and gl

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Tal's set already contains a belt, but you forgot to mention MF boots, like WT, cow boots or rare ones. Not to forget, Gheed's. Also ptopaz the helm and the armor, put a pdiamond into the shield if it's a Lidless and perhaps an allres jewel in the weapon. For the final blow, use Ali Baba (with 2x Ist if you are so rich that you won't miss them, else with MF jewels... but notice the dex req of that weapon - see below) plus Rhyme on the weapon switch.

I prefer to have 5 fire skillers, poison res and allres SCs instead of further MF charms. If you can afford it, add an Annihilus and your sorc will have maximum resists, so she is more versatile. That charm might also give you enough dex to wear Ali Baba without adding to dex. Alternatives are putting two hel runes into that weapon or wear Gull instead or invest a little into dex.

6. befkonijn

i did forget about the belt for a sec, but some of the weapons you suggest, like ist ist alibaba and fireskillers are maybe not in his reach? i dont know his wealth ofc...

7. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Magic find gives a slight increase in the chances for magic/rare/set/unique items --- everything you can find you will also find without MF, just the chances are lower.

Having said that, the "best" amount of MF% is highest you can get WITHOUT sacrificing too much killing speed/survivability.

Increase your killing speed by 10%, and you'll kill 10% more monsters in the same time, thus giving you 10% more items and therefore a 10% increased chance to find magic/rare/set/unique.

Increase your MF% by 10% and you get almost nothing --- MF% has severe diminishing returns. If you look at sets/uniques:

50% mf -> 41% better chance for unique
    50% mf -> 45% better chance for set

100% mf -> 71% better chance for unique
    100% mf -> 83% better chance for set

200% mf -> 111% better chance for unique
    200% mf -> 142% better chance for set

300% mf -> 136% better chance for unique
    300% mf -> 187% better chance for set

400% mf -> 153% better chance for unique
    400% mf -> 222% better chance for set

1000% mf -> 200% better chance for unique
    1000% mf -> 333% better chance for set

As you can see, the higher you go, the less improvement you get from more MF%. Killing speed, on the other hand, has no diminishing returns at all.

In addition, you can see that trying to get at least some MF is more important than getting to insanely high MF% numbers. The first 100% MF will give you a 71% increased chance for uniques, but if you add another 100% MF you only get 40% more, the next 100% only adds another 25% and so on.

Most players should be able to stick some MF somewhere, and that's really worth it.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

To be precise, it's like this:

The true MF bonus is unchanged for magical items, else it's MF*X/(MF+X) with X=600 for rares, 500 for set items and 250 for uniques. That means that true MF will approximate 600, 500 or 250 respectively with increasing MF bonuses, but never reach it.

That kind of formula (called "diminishing returns") is applied in a lot of parts of the game BTW.

9. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

it also depends on where you're mfing.. are you usually playing in hell, or no? good places are:

NM andy (quest drop bug)
    Hell pits (act 1 tamoe highlands)
    Hell ancient tunnels (act2 lost city)
    Hell mephisto
    Hell River of flames-diablo
    Hell eldritch
    Hell pindleskin
    Hell baal

I like to play nm and hell cows to lvl my mercs and hunt for good charms too; sometimes decent uniqs drop too.

10. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

ALso I'd like to point out loading up on MF doesn't suddenly gaurentee great items are going to fall from the sky like mana from heaven. Generally speaking in Hell normal items drop more commonly than exceptional which drop more commonly than 'low-level elites' which drop more commonly than the highest TC elites. (I know this is a generalisation but I don't feel like going into the exact drop sequence of monsters.)

Due to the fact you have more mid level normal items dropping than high level elites then you will run into a lot more Jade Tan Doos and Shadowfangs than Crowns of Ages or Windforces.

Just for example I've been playing SP for nearly 2 years (heck has it been that long. :( ) and I have 24 Jade Tan Doos and 20 Shadowfangs but have found 1 CoA's and no Windforces.

So just getting a certain level of MF will not give any immeadiate results. It takes multiple repition of many many runs.