Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic Find Advice

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Murelio, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Murelio

Murelio IncGamers Member

Magic Find Advice

Hello all, I have been mf'ing recently with my lvl 86 blizz sorc w/ 300 something mf. I have been pretty much everywhere, Mausoleum, Ancient Tunnels, Andy (NM & Hell), Meph (NM & Hell) and in act 4 hell. I have found absolutely nothing. I've been doing these runs for about a week and I have found 1 good item, a rainbow faucet from hell meph. I was just wondering, where do you find most of your best items? Any help and advice is also appreciated. Thanks!!! :D

2. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

Welcome to DiabloII.net Forums. These people know REALLY REALLY much and will help you with almost anything related to D2.

Maybe you should try getting more % MF. 300% sounds a bit low.

I'll list some cheap equipment that can be used really effectively in MF.

The Oculus - Swirling Crystal - Socket it with a 15 Res Jewl or 30% Lightning Resi Jewl (for Meph)
    +3 To Sorceress Skills
    +20% Resistance To All
    30% Faster Cast Rate
    +20 to Vitality
    +20 to Energy
    +5 Mana After Each Kill
    +20% Enhanced Defense
    +50% Magical Find
    25% Chance of casting
    Teleport When Struck

Harlequin Crest - Shako - Socket it with a PTopaz
    +2 to All Skills
    +1.5 Life per clvl
    +1.5 Mana per clvl
    +50% Better chance of getting magical item
    Physical Damage Taken Reduced by 10%
    +2 to Strength
    +2 to Dexterity
    +2 to Vitality
    +2 to Energy

Skullder's Ire - Russet Armor - Socet it with PTopaz
    +1 to All Skills
    +1.25% Better chance of getting magical item per clvl
    +160-200% Enhanced Defense
    +60 Increased Durability
    Magical Damage Taken Reduced by 10
    Repairs 1 Durability every 5 seconds

Gold Wrap - Heavy Belt
    +30% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
    +2 to Light Radius
    +25 Defense
    +10% Increased Attack Speed
    +40-60% Enhanced Defense
    +50-80% More Gold from Monsters

Nagelring - Ring (wear 2x of 'em)
    Magical Damage Taken Reduced by 3
    Attacker Takes 3 Damage
    +50-75 to Attack Rating
    +15-30% Magic Find

Chance Guard's - Chain Glove
    +200% More Gold from Monsters
    +25-40% Better chance of getting magical item
    +25 to Attack Rating
    +15 Defense
    +2 Light Radius
    +20-30% Enhanced Defense

- Dennis

3. diabloredrum

diabloredrum IncGamers Member

300 is pretty low, I think that a bit over 600 is good. (some people probaly think you need even higher but my experience is that 600 is enough)

4. Dennis_KoreanGuy

Dennis_KoreanGuy IncGamers Member

I had over 1100 once... 1000 barely on my own and 100 on merc... act 3 merc... coulda given him more MF stuff and gotten over 1200 :D

(If your merc kills then his mf% + your mf% gets calculated for the drop)

- Dennis

5. diabloredrum

diabloredrum IncGamers Member

But if you kill, your mercs mf doesnt matter at all and an act 3 merc isnt that effective ;)

6. Murelio

Murelio IncGamers Member

Thanks for all of the info guys. Ok, from your advice here is my mf setup.

P Topaz Shako-74
    Occy-50
    P Topaz Skullders-131
    Chance Guards-40
    2x NagelRings-28&26
    Goldwrap-30
    War Travs-46
    4x smfc-20 total mf

all = 445

Any other advice on reaching higher mf? Thx!!!

7. bowndancer

bowndancer IncGamers Member

A rhyme shield, very cheap, and adds 25% magic find and some other good mods.

8. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

It's important where you do your MF runs. If you want items from TC75 and lower and jewelry, kill only Mephisto.
    If you are done with Mephisto, then visit Pindleskin. With pure Blizzard I don't think that you can do Baal runs efficiently solo. In Ancient Tunnels you need to kill 2 boss packs in the same time as Pindleskin to be effective there (and that isn't possible IMHO). Pindleskin couldn't drop Tyraels though. 445 MF is very good amount of MF to start with.

9. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

I hate to disagree with everyone, but I don't think your mf % is the problem. Any additional mf will help, of course, but 300% should be getting you some results. You should wear as much mf as you can and still be able to survive and kill effectively, but mf has diminishing returns, especially for uniques, that make more mf less important than speed and survivability after about 250-300%, IMHO.

A thread that shows what folks use and where: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=350712

You say that you have been doing mf runs for about a week, but you don't mention how many runs you have done. Please keep in mind that it sometimes takes hundreds of runs to find anything truly valuable, regardless of the amount of magic find you are wearing. Also, mf only increases the chances of items being magical, rare, set, or unique, so it is possible to go through a string where you find lots of green and gold items that aren't worth anything, even though your mf is working perfectly. Increasing mf would not help this situation at all.

GL with your hunting; I'm not trying to be discouraging. But finding good items takes patience and a lot of runs, so keep at it, and the good stuff will fall.

10. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

Hehe, I agree with you cotton. 300-400% MF is more than enough.
    Here are some numbers :

Code:
    % MF	Unique	Set	Rare	Magic
    300	211	242	250	300
    400	236	287	300	400
    600	266	350	372	600
    1000	295	421	460	1000
    The numbers speak by themselves :p

Now, two advices that will make a *big* difference :
    - Always make sure you have a good ratio between MF and killing speed. More killing speed => kill more monsters and faster => more chance to drop stuff
    - Hi killing power/speed => you're able to play in 8-players games => lots more items dropped => more chance to drop stuff.

Here's the stuff of my MF sorceress :
    Shako IST (75% MF)
    Mara
    Oculus IST (80% MF)
    Enigma (92% MF)
    Spirit
    Magefist
    Arachnid
    2*Rare rings (to be changed later) (11% MF)
    War Traveler (50% MF)
    Gheed (40% MF)
    Various MF/resist charms (28% MF)

=> 376% MF
    => Killing speed : insane... (105% FCR reached, 8.3k fireball without any skillers yet, Infinity from merc).

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Tal's Belt, Armor, and Amu is really nice for resists and MF, but you may have trouble getting good FCR since it only gives 20% and the belt and amu take up two key FCR positions. Splendor is a rather underused shield IMO. Only 5 less MF and it gives 10% FCR. If you're primarily doing boss runs, I'd recommend HoTo or Occulus and a good survivability shield and then switching out to an Ali Baba and Rhyme before making the kill.

350-450 is a good goal for MF from what I've seen.

12. Shaven Monkee

Shaven Monkee IncGamers Member

I concur, tons of MF is NOT needed.
    I always MF with @300 or so and have never seen the need for more.
    The only real factors for getting "good" items are your character level and the level of the monsters you are killin.
    That is it.

NO need to kill yourself for tons of MF.

As it has been said already, MF has diminishing returns and killing faster means finding faster. Simple statistics...but dont take our word for it.

Anyone can get any statistics to prove anything...80% of people asked know that!

Hoooahhooooahoooooaaaahahahahaha meow!

13. Miladys-Knight

Miladys-Knight IncGamers Member

Get a gull dagger or alibaba and a rhyme shield on switch. When you get a boss monster down to a sliver press W to switch weapon sets and make the kill. You can also get some magic find on your amulet or you can use Tancreds boots and tancreds ammy that combo gives +78 to MF on the ammy.

14. LiquidIce

LiquidIce IncGamers Member

wow you got those stuff fast, where did you find them?

15. epi

epi IncGamers Member

On my old meteorb I used this setup:
    P.Topaz'd Shako
    Isted Occy
    P.Topaz'd Tals Armor
    Tals Belt
    Tals Ammy
    2x 30 mf nagels
    lidless shield
    40 mf war travs
    40 mf chance guards

I dont remember the exact number or things for each item(this is off the top of my head), but I had around 425 magic find and with that equipment had no trouble surviving or killing fast on hell. A good merc is a must though :D.

For me this was the best medium I could find without sacrificing too much killing power. I had a gull dagger and rhyme on switch but I only used it on bosses, and most of the time I even forgot to switch :lol: .

I farmed NM mephisto as soon as I could(i had around 250 mf to start with mainly crap gear, 4 ptopaz armor and a gull dagger) with the moat trick until I had found for/traded for good enough gear to do hell. After that I did pit runs to level my merc(actually found my tals armor doing it). Then farmed mainly hell meph/ball/andy and occasionally did other spots like the pit.

Hope this helps.

Oh and I just remembered I also had about 45 mf from charms( <3 gheeds fortune ).

16. Murelio

Murelio IncGamers Member

I actually found most of them :) I traded for the nagel and a rhyme shield. I have 450 mf, im guessing. It seems to work fine, I do find a lot more set items and rares than with tals set. I haven't tested out more mf, but when I do I will let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for all the advice!!!

17. CodyTheCrazy

CodyTheCrazy IncGamers Member

If i were you i would try to get Perfect Chancies and Nagelrings and the for a shield i would go for a Splendor not Rhyme because Splendor gives +1 to skills and Rhyme doesn't and also i suggest using a tal ammy or a rare ammy with mf & + sorceress skills & faster cast rate

18. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

Not an expert here, but I've leveled two sorcs to 93 (blizz/fball) and 95 (meteorb). My MF have probably never been above 300, so most people tell me it sucks.

With these two characters only I've found a 29 maras and multiples of: arachnid mesh (3 I think), multiple draculs, vamp gaze (2-3), verdungos, eschutas, tal armor, andariels mask, war travs, leviathan, more titans than I can guess, stormshields, lightsabers, 5-5 facet, 5-4 facet, and so on. I won't even mention the commoner stuff, like tal mask and orb, ik, nats armor and so on that I seem to get every night.

I run Meph 5-10 times a session and play 4-5 nights a week. Compared to anyone on this forum, I'm pretty average in terms of my playing ability.

But - my sorcs kill fast (cold and fire), so like others here have said if you kill a lot then that 300mf can be just fine. Biggest mistake IMHO is to load up on lame mf equipment that hurts your killing speed, unless you really just want to do Meph every time you play -- too boring for me.

19. Shaven Monkee

Shaven Monkee IncGamers Member

One thing to keep in mind as far as "value" of items is concerned and I may be preachin to the choir, but:

"Nothing is worth more than what someone is willing to pay for it."

If you are hording gear for trading then remember the above noted quote.

If you are planning on just using the gear you find for the joy of "untwinked"
    playing then pay it no mind.

If you are trading, don't forget the little guy too, they are always looking to complete the odd low end set. One major source of "godly" trades are for LLD.

I for one am a HUGE fan of LLD. I am guilty of the occassional squeal of delight when I find a "15 to life LC" or a "9max dmg jool".

My point is: perspective matters and perception is everything.

20. Murelio

Murelio IncGamers Member

I was wondering, where would you mf to find upper-medium class items like vamp, shako, ss, and other items like that?

-Thx for all of the info guys, helps a lot!!!