Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magic Damage

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Caledon, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Caledon

Caledon IncGamers Member

Magic Damage

A few questions about magic damage...

Which monsters use magic damage?
    How much damage does it usually do?

I have a character with items which reduce magic damage by about 7. It doesn't sound like a whole lot, but then I don't know generally how much magic damage monsters (or players) usually enflict. He's a conc barb and he uses magic damage himself (I have about 8 points in berserk which converts 8% conc damage to magic damage).

Thanks!

2. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

viper magus and greater mummies(i think wit unholy bolt) do magic dmg. Also i think baal does magic dmg wit his mana burn thing. 4 players hdins do crazy magic damage :) 18k the highest, but even crappy hdins do like 5-6k lol. also bone necros do magic dmg thats about it.... well 4 stuff that actually does real dmg

3. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Viper Magi (you only meet them at later difficulties) use Bone Spear, Oblivion Knights use Bone Spirit, Greater Mummies use Unholy Bolt.

Items with -X magic damage aren't really helpful, because all sources of magic damage tend to do a large amount of damage in one hit, so -7 or something like this won't make a big difference.

Fear not, while there is no Damage-Over-Time magic damage, most magical attacks are very well survivable and they never match the danger from direct physical hits from the same monsters. In PvP, however, magic damage is your main nightmare.

4. nicro tower

o ya forgot about oblivion knights... and i think theres magic abosorb 2... and viper magi's bone spear is alot more effective then there crappy melee wich almost never hits :)

5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Their crappy charge hits every time, tho, and they don't crash with charge lock like every paladin that accidently try charge builds...

6. abbithedog

abbithedog IncGamers Member

I beg to differ. Get some -MDR gear and go whack on some of those beatles in act 2, and stand around while the lightning bolts to no harm to your char.

Get two nagelrings (-3 MDR), and with the level 7 requirement, you will wander through norm with little to no problem with magic damage (Big D being the exception).

Same with dwarfstars (up to -15 MDR), SOE (up to -15), and viper (up to -13), and pretty soon magic damage, no matter your resists, is pretty much negated through NM. Very important in hardcore.

7. Caledon

Caledon IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info everyone!

8. BluzMan

BluzMan Banned

Omfg, I'm forgetting the basics. Yes, MDR as a mod negates not only magic, but elemental damages also, so helps vs firewalls, meteor burns, infernoes, CB's and stuff. Not at Hell difficulty, but helps sometimes at normal. But, versus pure magic damage it is completely useless, much like magic absorb.

9. nicro tower

lol i forgot that 2 :) i guess MDR is actually useful...