Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Magi_Uzziah

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Uzziah, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Magi_Uzziah

I have been playing MP alot lately with my passive barb who I have temporarly turned into a firewall barb, (wierd I know).

After a bit of thought I decided to start a new build, I am going to play my magibarb build, I decided to track my progress and give some background to this build.

The build will consist of these skills:

20 Iron Skin
    1 Natural Resistance
    20 Shout
    20 Battle Orders
    20 Battle Command (last points placed
    20 Howl (For poison usage, explain later)
    1 taunt
    1 battle cry

I know I know, this has 2 skill trees and I usually only play single tree builds, I thought this one was cool enough without limiting skills.

Because of the nature of this build I will be twinking it heavily in order to get the skills I need and the damage needed for the build. I have made and gathered these items thus far for the build.

• Large Siege Bow 6*Tal runes (451 poison damage over 5 seconds)
    • Trang's gloves
    • Trang's Belt
    • Trang's Armor
    • Lots of poison charms, will be looking to condense and increase these
    • rare ring with slvl 5 firebolt charges
    • Moonfall with slvl 11 meteor charges (possibly pompiie's wraith will be used instead)
    • Upgraded venomward to use until I get trangs armor on (about 16 of the harder levels for this build)
    • marrowwalks (I have these on my passive barb and am considering the bone prison for extreme sitiuations like the FE superfast extrastrong that appears sometimes)

I always play in softcore so the chance of dying isn't a big issue for me, but I will and do play as if I were hardcore.

Thus far I have made it into act 3 normal, and have been using poison damage as my main source of damage, with my clvl 30 barb I deal about 900 poison damage over about 5-6 seconds. Howl and poison is nice, scare them away apply poison with bow rinse wash repeat. I barely get touched, let alone the 2000 defense I already have with the venom ward equiped.

The Idea behind the build, create a fire/poison barb who basically uses no attacking skill, but can handle his own in Hell.

I am using trangs set to gain firewall and fireball, both of which I can get into the 700 damage range without much trouble. As an added bonus Trangs gloves give 25% poison damage.

I will be using the gloves and a bow with poison charms to provide huge poison damage from a ranged attack, well, into the 1000 point range over a few seconds.

My skills focus on control and protection, I will be using howl as my primary natural skill, basically a hit and make them run technique will be used. Firewall and normal melee attacks will be used on most non FI's as I find it works well to hold them in the firewall and attack them physically, I may use pompiie's wraith to have the ctc volcano.

My other items have not been figured out yet, any ideas out there? I have a ring slot, helm slot, boot slot, and shield/other weapon slot to fill.

Also how do you think the build will fair once I get to the level needed for Trang's equipment? Any help on playstyle is encouraged.

2. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Very original! Haven't heard of anything like this, and that's rare to see after this many years on the forums. Nicely done.

As far as tips for play, um . . . don't die? :D Maybe a wand on switch with charges of lower resist would help. Or two swords with twelve poison facets in them. :teeth:

3. isengart

isengart IncGamers Member

Very nice idea. I have been thinking about something similar now and then.
    Concerning your open slots I have some ideas:

Headgear:

Blackhorn's Face could be a nice helm to wear beacause of the Prevent Monster Heal and the Slowing effect. So if you feel to need more crowd control this could be an option.

Andariel's Visage would also be nice. +2 Skills, 20% IAS, CTC Poison Nova and charges of Lvl 3 Venom that would give your bow even more poison damage.
    drawback here is the -30 fire res.

Shield:

Radament's Sphere would suit to the theme of the build. It adds 60 more poison damage, has CTC Poison Nova and charges to Poison Explosion. You could socket it with a PD or a jewel adding poison damage.

Rhyme is always a good shield and here the mana regeneration could help you.

The Second ring should give you missing resists, if you don't miss any, Nature's Peace could help you with reviving monsters. A ring with charges of Attract (do they exist? I can't remember currently) would be helpful too.

On weaponswitch I'd start with one echoing weapon to boost your defensive warcries. A Wand with charges to Lower Resists could be benefical too.

Tell me about the progress please, I am really curious.

EDIT: What merc are you planning to use? Act 2 HF or Defiance should work well. Grim ward could also be benefical as it would offer you a safe spot to fire your arrows.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

A poison/fire barb? well thats certainly different! But are you sure you'll need to max howl? i would thionk having them run for 12 screens seems a bit overkill. since after the first couple of arrow shots they'll be out of sight so it'll take ages to kill everything.
    I would suggest grim ward instead. Once you place it, you can deal with champions/uniques that arent scared off, tehn ranged attackers (who will continue shooting) thn finally melee monsters who wont go near you but wont run off into the distance and given time to replenish life (will be key. i suggest PMH from somewhere to stop this from happening.
    Good luck, i hope to MP with you when your finsihed!

5. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Well for merc I have chosen the stylish act 3 cold merc :)

I was thinking about these two items, though I have neither of them, I really need to make a MF character, but I hate doing runs, much rather make builds.

The charges of poison explosion would help out both ctc's of poison nova, not huge damage but pretty hefty with the extra 25% from gloves.

By the way Trang's Set and natural resistances fills a good amount of the resistance problems, if I need more resistance I will use charms, as I have a stockpile of every charm my single tree builds have found in their careers (about 400 charms in total).

@fartingbob I may change out howl for natural resistances, thus far having 1 point in howl work fairly effectively, I may only want to place 3-4 more points into it, mainly for the larger radius not the length of the run away. The extra points in natural resistances would be very helpful.

Progress thus far has been like the typical starting of a character, lots of melee and pushing through Acts 1 & 2, I spent some time leveling up in the first 2 acts, I normally don't like taking duriel on before clvl 27 I took him at clvl 30, when my venomward (upgraded has ~380 defense) was able to be put on. I am in act 3 now and have just been able to get the Bow on with the help of 4 dexterity large charms. I will place my next couple of level ups into dexterity, I think 100 dexterity will be enough for this build considering the lack of a shield for most of the game play. The howl technique got me through most of act 2 unscathed, though my poison damage by the end of the act only reached into the 400 per 10 second range (had a mace with 401 poison damage rlvl 26).

I purchased my merc he is clvl 19 atm and is able to control about half of every mob with use of his glacial spike. I took him into the first area and found the jade figurine, completed that quest and found the first waypoint, in looking for the spider cave, I was interrupted and resigned for the evening. I will have sometime to look at it this evening (hopefully). My merc is gaining on me due to my extra leveling, this is a good thing, I will probably level him until he is even with me before pushing on, I like leveling in act 3 and the bloody hills of act 5. I should hit clvl 40 something before facing the ancients, I need to hit clvl 46 IIRC before using fireball, firewall is much later the belts rlvl is a bit high.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

[Criticism]
    Why to spend 20 points in Battle-command?
    I would spent the points to battlecry to make bosses weaker.

The amount of points invested into defensive skills is crazy with the fact that your main attack is ranged.

I am not very poison-wise, but wouldn't the CTC poison nova overrides your much stronger poison from a bow?

You can have some serious problems with AR later.

What about Venom runeword? - Poison charges, ITD, PMH
    [/Criticism]

Nice build. Looking forward to updates. :thumbsup:

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I dont understnad battle comman either. 1 point with +skills keeps you going for 2-3 minutes, so theres no need to put more in. Battle cry will also help with AR (lowers targets def)
    The defence will help alot for monsters who cant be scared away and ranged attackers - which will probably take more life than any other kind of monster.
    CTC poison nova would probably overide the bow poison, but having all mosnters posioed when you can just go back and shoot the 1 you were tryign to kil before will still be useful. Your bow will continue to refresh the poison, so its not a major concern.

8. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

I considered using Battle Cry but though it was to much of an offensive skill for the build idea, for most bosses (especially act bosses) I will be using firewall so their defense isn't an issue. Anyways this is a slow killer so cast and forget skills will need long durations.

Edit: after reading FB's comments as well I think I will try battlecry anyways, so how much should i adjust the points from battle command? make it only 1 battle command? 20 battle cry.

My main skills are unusual, firewall with melee, ranged poison with crowd control. I am not concerned with offensive skills so I can focus on defensive without much problems, anyways ranged enemies will be a pain. And yes thank you I am crazy.

Yeah it would but the ctc are when struck, So they would only go off when I am in a pinch and they would hit the whole mob surrounding me. May not be a bad thing. Though yeah my bows damage would be alot greater.

Ah come on I can make it through with 200AR :uhhuh:

Venom is a nice runeword, and works in bow, the chance for flee is nice as well, I may consider this if AR becomes a huge issue, the drop in poison is not that great it's only 451-288 = 163 over 6 seconds, but having the attack stick is much better.

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Ahh, that's why you need defence. The ranged attackers are there too, I see.
    But it is a good reason for having Battlecry stronger. Their damage will be weakened and defence too.

And maybe the fireball damage will be better than Firewall?

I just don't like spending more than 1 point into Battle Command skill.
    Another good option could be Find Item skill.

And sorry for saying this: - style point for using 2 trees. ;)

10. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Ok so new skill layout:

20 Iron Skin
    5 Natural Resistance
    20 Shout
    20 Battle Orders
    1 Battle Command
    20 Howl (For poison usage, explain later)
    1 taunt
    10 battle cry
    1 find potion
    1 find item

look better?

I find that without + all skills the firewall damage is just better than the fireball damage, by like 10 damage. I think I use firewall because it covers more overall area, though fireball hits multiple times in a smaller area, the over all damage of fireball is higher on one enemy but hitting 5-6 enemies at a time can be more effective.

2 skill trees stylish (I think not) having a build that no one else has, now that's style.

11. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I'd say its better, but not perfect yet.
    with the low number of +skills, nat res is pretty good before it tails off at later levels, but i suggest 1 in grim ward and 1 in increased speed, since you may need to run about a bit to shake off some fearless champions.

12. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Yes this setup is better. I vote for Inc Speed and Grim Ward too.

13. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

ok ok 1 point increased speed,

I don't like grim ward and wont use it so "no soup for you"

20 Shout
    20 Battle Orders
    1 Battle Command
    18 Howl
    1 taunt
    10 battle cry
    1 find potion
    1 find item

20 Iron Skin
    5 Natural Resistance
    1 increased stamina
    1 increase runwalk

There you have it folks the perfect setup for the magibarb. and yeah I haven't messed up my skill points. :)

14. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Perhaps it might be useful to use the Trang's helmet and free up the armour slot? Or to put it in to get Meteor? (does that work as synergy for Fireball?)

15. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Actually the oskill would ruin the charge bug, it would cause the meteor to be 0 skills thus making the fireball weaker when moonfall is equiped.

I would be willing to trade out for the helm, Especially if I could get some use out of having the armor, gloves, and helm before the belt was equipable. Problem is I don't have the helm, and have spent a fair amount trading for the equipment already. edit just checked the helms rlvl is higher than the belt so it would only be useful later in the game, it takes a while for harder builds to get to clvl 65.

With the helm I would trade out for my stone armor from my dual elemental druid, and use pompiie's wraith in place of moonfall, the volcano damage would be huge with that combination. Or I could use a double upgraded venom ward in place of the armor to take care of poison damage I take. Either way, I could get a much larger defense by using the helm in place of the armor.

16. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Update

Magi_Uzziah reached the last waypoint in Act 4 last night. He is clvl 34 1/2, I spent some time leveling up in the jungles :) . Gaining levels has slowed down significantly, bound to happen I guess. He has the following skills thus far.

1 howl
    1 taunt
    1 battle cry
    11 shout
    11 battle orders
    1 battle command

10 iron skin
    1 natural resistances

He has his 6tal bow equiped and another 400 and some poison damage from his charms. In total he deals 902-95x damage over about 5 seconds. I have not moved any of my equipment over but have been muling off all gems, runes, jewels, and charms I have found as well as the uniques and sets as usual. The bows damage held out quite nicely in the jungle but really slowed down in the lost city area, most monsters now take a full round of poison and another hit before they fall, the tight areas caused howl to be quite ineffective so I ended up switching to melee for most of the hell forge area.

My stats are currently (with charms)

strength - 101
    dexterity - 95
    vitality - base +remaining (dont recall offhand)
    energy - base

life ~560 with BO
    defense 3200 with shout
    mana ~100 this may need to be suplemented in the mid 40's clvls.

I need to gain another 10 strength for my endgame shield choice, the dexterity stat is still in the air and vitality is the same as always.

17. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Well guys I made a mistake last night. I finished act 4 and did the first two quest of act 5 though wasn't able to find the second way point oh well I need the exp run anyways.

Magi_Uzziah is now clvl 37 he has the following skills now.

1 howl
    1 taunt
    1 battle cry
    12 shout
    12 battle orders
    1 battle command

10 iron skin
    1 natural resistances
    1 increased stamina

I increased my dexterity so that the 95 mark needed for my bow would be hit naturally. Working on increasing my strength next to get to the amount needed for my shield and other armor. I need to get 110 IIRC.

Anyways my mistake, I was running diablo's lair at players 8 the kills were kind of slow (found out OB knights don't respond to howl) and the poison damage had to run a full course to course and a half in order to kill, the inital part before the sanctuary was nice sit back fire an arrow and wait. Then I hit the sanctuary, what a bloody mess that was. The first group I hit was a pack of OB knights they only respond to battlecry, howl doesn't work with them (didn't try taunt). Their long range sucked I was downing potions left and right, had to switch to melee for a while in order to gain some blocking. After breaking them apart I moved further in and soon found out that those flying enemies can get stuck behind the walls (where you can not shoot them) and they can attack from there without fail. A few howls found many of them behind walls whilst I try to take out the knights.

After battling that scenaro over and over, the big bosses came out to play. I always run diablo around clockwise so that the extra strong extra fast is my last boss and I have plenty of room to dispurse them. I took on the flying guys well sort of I used howl and behind the walls they all went, after flirting for 5 minutes or so I nudged the boss and most of his minions out into the open to be killed. I moved on north and found the fanticism to be more easily controlled (howl the minions take out the boss, :cool: ). Then the extra fast came out to play, my fire resistance was at 50% but that still didn't help much. a lot of running involved stare downs were the only way I won that fight, I ended up TPing and running from the waypoint 2 times to get them seperated completely, I could handle 2 at a time max. They finally fell and here is where I messed up. I didn't change the players setting yepper, play diablo at players 8.

A battle insued, diablo's lightning breath was no match while standing in melee range but the 15-20% drop in total damage really slowed the process down, I took Diablo and faced him away from my merc to deal the most damage, with the least risk. I ran through a full belt of potions and lost my merc before taking 25% off of big D. I used the well placed TP to escape the battle, resurrected my merc and refilled my belt. another 5 minutes past and my belt ran empty again. another 2 sets of these intervals past and finally the Devil fell. And what do you think the nice guy gave me? you guessed it 4 low quality rare polearms and 2 blue weapons. Atleast the players 8 setting netted me a quarter of a clvl.

18. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

I know you hate grim ward - but it is also very useful for clearing dead bodies... I dont build a barb without it now days - it works as a very useful barier for separating bosses from their pack. Otherwise, have fun!

19. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Great all my updates are gone.

Anywho, I reached clvl 44 last night and am about half way to clvl 45. I finished the first 4 quests in act 1 nightmare and have just reached the outer cloister.

After some decent trades in the Uzziah Wacky Jewel trade as well as a giveaway, I have been able to get my poison damage up to ~1200. I will continue to tweak that damage as I gain levels right now 2 100 poison over 5 second small charms are in holding for clvl 55. At clvl 45 I get to put on the gloves for a 25% boost to poison at clvl 49 I get to put on the armor for fireball then the fun should really begin. Right now I am running nightmare at players 1, I know typically players 8 for nightmare, but it's just so slow, I am gaining more experience running with the lower setting for now.

I plan to run Andy for awhile to gain experience and get use to my fireball/firewall attacking style, hopefully I can get her to drop an SOJ.

I found an Infernostride boot on a normal fallen in the black marsh, These boots are really nice for this barb I hadn't thought about them before, the blaze ctc is kind of fun, though not a ton of damage, running from a fight with blaze on your heels would be a really cool addition to the poison/fire mentality of this build.

20. TenYearsGone

TenYearsGone IncGamers Member

Sorry your posts were lost. I'm following your progress. It's a fun and different build so I'm curious how it goes, especially as you get to equip your 'better' items.

Good Luck!