Magi barb guides

rickyson1

Diabloii.Net Member
the magibarb sounds somewhat similar to that gunter character by mongojerry during the 1.10 beta(although he didnt use poison and only used firewall/fireball and not meteor)

Urlik_Skarsol

Diabloii.Net Member
Ah man, this is just cool as heck!

Thanks Uzziah, for this excellent write-up on a truly innovative approach to playing a barb. :thumbsup:

Nice work!

I'll definitely be building one of these guys in the not too distant future. :D

Urlik

happyfamine

Diabloii.Net Member
i really like the hybrid idea, would be tons of fun. something to aim for. a couple of other interesting weapons:

Eternity - Amn + Ber + Ist + Sol + Sur
Level 8 Revive (** Charges)

would be fun with beast (after you find another ber.... and an ist... and a sur...)

Oath (rwm/bnet only) - Shael + Pul + Mal + Lum
Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

could let you swap out stone for trang armor and still have a golem around.

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
happyfamine said:
i really like the hybrid idea, would be tons of fun. something to aim for. a couple of other interesting weapons:

Eternity - Amn + Ber + Ist + Sol + Sur
Level 8 Revive (** Charges)

would be fun with beast (after you find another ber.... and an ist... and a sur...)

Oath (rwm/bnet only) - Shael + Pul + Mal + Lum
Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine (20 Charges)
Level 17 Iron Golem (14 Charges)

could let you swap out stone for trang armor and still have a golem around.
careful though a creature from a weapon is hazardous a weapon switch will kill it. if you wanted an iron golem better to use metalgrid.

This was designed and built for single player so the beast will be hard to come by and the Bnet runewords even hard (impossible with out a mod)

the hard part is getting to the level needed for the hybrid. from my playing I realized that fireball >> firewall for the hybrid build and a mix of fireball and firewall is really the best for the magi build. either way you need a back up and poison works well for that.

Urlik_Skarsol

Diabloii.Net Member
Started playing around with a Firebarb test build..

It appears that the Inferno 0skills on Flamebellow do not synergize the Meteor 0skill (the fire/sec dmg part) that comes with 4 pieces of Trang's... dang...

I'm leaning toward a combo of Warcry and Meteor, mainly as I find Meteor easier to aim and it has a shorter casting delay than FW. With 2 Spirit swords I can benefit both at the same time quite nicely. The FCR is nice too. Shouldn't have too much trouble getting to 90% FCR for 9 frames...

Just need a bunch of Warcry GC's now :uhhuh:

Not sure if I have seen a rare ring that spawns with firebolt charges and FCR... will keep gambling away though :D Still probably easier to obtain than some stones.

Urlik

dnacra

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice build!

I would myself concentrate on a pure FB barb though. Just let me know what you think of it:

Helm: Shako
Body: Enigma
Amulet: Rising Sun
Weapons: HotO x2
Gloves: Trang's
Belt: Trang's
Rings: SoJ, Rare Great Wyrm's charged(fire bolt!) ring of the apprentice
Boots: Marrowalk (Bone prison for crowd control)

Merc would be A5 equiped with:
Doom (Holy Freeze really helps)
Delirium (Mind Blast, Terror, Confuse)
Shaftstop or good Leviathan

Basically you get lvl31 FB plus synergy from the ring, you hit the 105 FCR breakpoint and you get TP. Plus with the help of some mana SC you end with a big blue reserve on the lower right corner of your screen.

One question though, would the fire GC work for this barb?

Cheers!

Edit: I know it is far from being a cheap build. In 2 years of play I managed to gather the unique/set stuff plus the Delirium. I have the runes it takes for one HotO, for the rest I don't think I will gather it in the near future playing SP. But we can still dream of such a thing!

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
dnacra said:
Nice build!

I would myself concentrate on a pure FB barb though. Just let me know what you think of it:
. . .

Basically you get lvl31 FB plus synergy from the ring, you hit the 105 FCR breakpoint and you get TP. Plus with the help of some mana SC you end with a big blue reserve on the lower right corner of your screen.

One question though, would the fire GC work for this barb?

Cheers!

Edit: I know it is far from being a cheap build. In 2 years of play I managed to gather the unique/set stuff plus the Delirium. I have the runes it takes for one HotO, for the rest I don't think I will gather it in the near future playing SP. But we can still dream of such a thing!
Well mine is not a dream, my dream builds are much more expensive :). And the meteor charges add alot more damage to the fireball than the extra few +skills. I am using a mara's for the +2 skills so yeah there are other pieces that could be used for the equipment. but I agree fireball is the better skill, meteor would be to gear intensive and very limiting.

Urlik - I am playing with no barbarian attack skills so warcry really isn't being used, but the warcry idea is kind of cool since the main affixes for it are similar to those for the fire barb.

dnacra

Diabloii.Net Member
Uzziah said:
Well mine is not a dream, my dream builds are much more expensive :). And the meteor charges add alot more damage to the fireball than the extra few +skills. I am using a mara's for the +2 skills so yeah there are other pieces that could be used for the equipment. but I agree fireball is the better skill, meteor would be to gear intensive and very limiting.
If your dream build includes a double Superior Eth zerker BotD and/or Last Wish then we are on even grounds :D

Liliel

Diabloii.Net Member
As Uzziah has said, an extra HotO won't even come remotely close to making up for the lack of Moonfall's charge synergy if you're concentrating on Fireball damage.

Oh, and no I don't think the Fire Skills GC works.

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
Liliel said:
Oh, and no I don't think the Fire Skills GC works.
Oh I didn't see where he said that, but your right they do not work, the ormus robe staffmod works though, that's a bug with that item in specific.

Uzziah

Diabloii.Net Member
1.11 has ended the viablity of this guide, as the magibarb sulks in defeat to the end of 1.10 so does their clansmen.

Their may be a way for the firewall variant to survive but it will take some reworking until then best of luck.

nickedoff

Diabloii.Net Member
+fireball from ormus works (for some unknown reason),
It's the +%damage, not the fireball...I think.

It could still work, don't give up hope!
What's wrong with putting 20 into warcry - you could run up, Warcry, run back and spew meteors/firewalls while everything's stuck.

We've got new runewords to help him out, too.
The +1 to Warmth on Enlightenment will synergise Inferno on two Flamebellows.
Insight makes mana irrevelant, and Infinity = bye bye fire immunes.

It is a shame we can't make good fireball dins, though :\

Murderface

Diabloii.Net Member
Poison

The Magical Barbarians

But we need a way to deliver poison to the monsters, I always liked ranged attacks for delivering poison, if you control a monster away from you and use ranged attacks to poison them there is no reason they should deal you damage. This leads to the bow, you can get 6 socketed bows in Hell mode, I found a 6 socketed bow and placed 6 tal runes in it for 451 poison damage over 5 seconds.
Why don't you just pop 6 pemeralds, that would get you 600 damage instead of 451.

Thyiad

Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian
PEmerald = 594 over 7 seconds = 84.8/sec (req level 18)
Tal = 450 over 5 seconds = 90/sec (req level 17)

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
Dude, you stole my build! No, I'm just kidding, but I did have a build nearly just like this planned, and have been working on it for two weeks now. In fact, you may have seen me alude to my "experimental build". Glad to see someone else is thinking outside the box, though. I'll have my guide up in a week or two, so we could maybe get together and test out these characters together?

Fluffballer

Diabloii.Net Member
Can you use more than one of mutually exclusive summon types, i.e. a clay golem and an iron golem at the same time? If not, wouldn't the grizzly charge on Beast be effective than dire wolves?

Milb

Diabloii.Net Member
Dude, you stole my build! No, I'm just kidding, but I did have a build nearly just like this planned, and have been working on it for two weeks now. In fact, you may have seen me alude to my "experimental build". Glad to see someone else is thinking outside the box, though. I'll have my guide up in a week or two, so we could maybe get together and test out these characters together?
Check out the date of the original post :wink3:

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice guide, too bad it 'needs' such expensive gear. But what I was thinking was this. I've got a Mangudai (Bowbarb) planned. I've done one before, so I can learn from experience and make this one better.

I was thinking this:

Wolfhowl for helm, Treachery for armour, Harmony for bow. I'm not sure what else to use though, but wisp projector ring would be nice, for the HoW charges. Might merc would be necessary, I imagine, to make the wolves actually do something, and It helps our damage some too.

You get reasonable physical damage (for a bowbarb), nice poison damage from venom (does +poison skill damage affect treachery's venom?), elemental damage from harmony, some revive and wolf minions, and the ability to go melee in style.