Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mages minues Infinity

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Bandit, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Bandit

Bandit IncGamers Member

Mages minues Infinity

Hey all....I've recently come to a bind with my new fishymancer. I've maxed warrior and mastery, and now have about 7 spare skill points on hand (and i'm only lvl 47 -.-) Anyway, I've been reading posts on here and am interested about maxing mages now....the only problem is that I've no infinity on hand. I've got an Enigma on hold in stash already so I could use that mage-cannon technique, but I'm just wondering how affective that would be without the use of Infinity. If anything Infinity's the next item on my wish list, but yeah, any opinions would be much appreciated ^_^

2. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

They still provide a fairly good damage support role for you skellys. I don't have an Infinity, but I still roll with max mages on my latest fishy.

For example, 300 average damage per shot may not seem that great, but with 15 magi around that's an extra 4500 damage per gross hit that your army is dealing.

That's on top of the e.g. 1000 per Might'd skelly*15 skellys = 15000 damage your normal skellys are doing per gross swing, not counting physical/elemental resistances.

Not to mention the extra possible Cold magi you may have around, providing you with more of an advantage in fights via the chilled slowing effect they produce = more crowd control in your favour.

3. Bandit

Bandit IncGamers Member

Ahh, very nice, thanks much :D

4. HYKO

HYKO IncGamers Member

Just to add something you forgot to mention, amp from necro himself up that 15000 damage to 30000. woo hoo~:prop:

5. Bandit

Bandit IncGamers Member

Not to mention the beast I got in stash....just aching to be wielded ;)

6. HYKO

HYKO IncGamers Member

Ouch!
    Hell if you want to go crazy, make an iron golem out of pride :jig:
    Thats just pure fantasize though....

7. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

I did state that those numbers were before resists/reduction. I'm aware that Amp will lower physical resist by 100%. But you're right, on an Amp'd monster with 0% physical resist (reduced to -100%) you'll double the damage done.

Keep in mind monster physical resist. Monsters will have from 15% to 66% or more in Hell, it varies for each monster. Check it out.

8. kaervek

kaervek IncGamers Member

Think of mages as your utility summons. a pack of mages will kill unbreakable PI monsters a lot faster than you would if you put the points into PN and synergies.

You also get cold for chill, and rediculously long poison duration to prevent boss healing. It also leaves you somthing to fall back on when all your melee ones go poof in a swarm of IM.

9. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

That's exactly why I haven't spent more then 1 point in Mages (yet), because one point is enough to get these utilities.

But then again, there isn't much else to put points into. You could put points in Clay Golem, to make monsters a bit more slow, but I don't think that's worth 19 more skillpoints.

More points in Golem Mastery is quite useless I think, because your Golem should already survive quite nicely without. And even if he does not, what's the hurt in resummoning him? Unless you want to use Iron Golem, where it would be a must to max this. If you can keep your IG alive, it might just be worth it. Missing a source of slow would hurt, but using Decripify and ice from Mages might make up for this.

If you really want to go extreme, you could put more points in Revive for some insanely large armies. Keeping them at max numbers will be very hard and mana intensive, but who knows it might just work out better than Mages.

Lastly, more points in Amplify Damage could increase the range, so that you don't have to cast it as often and can kill quicker. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't know wheather it's worth it, since the radius is already so big.

I'd say Mages ARE the best way to go, but I'm not sure, so I haven't put more points in them. More Mages means more damage (even it's way less than normal skellies) and longer poison duration gives you more time to recover your army during a fight with a tough boss. I wouldn't summon them until you're about to fight a boss though, since frozen monsters might shatter on death, so that you can't use Corpse Explosion on it. Also, in specific situations they MIGHT get in the way of the others, although this isn't really that likely I've been told.

I've not tested any of this, so I really don't know which way to go. I'm just telling you the most viable ways to spend your skill points that I've heard from other people. Hope it is any help...

10. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Another nice thing about mages is they're a nice little last-line-of-defense type meat shield. Skelly warriors will always rush forward and immediately engage in melee, and if any monsters happen to outflank you, they can come around your warriors and go straight to your unprotected little Necro. Mages always hang back, which gives you a nice little buffer against surprise attacks from the side. I suppose it's not a big deal when you're using Enigma, but it can make a huge difference if you're playing legit. I like to keep 4-6 Mages out at all times (even if it's just 1 hard point with +skills) when running around, just for the added security.

11. borfa

borfa IncGamers Member

I have a lvl 80 summoner ladder Hardcore right now. This is my third summoner, the first 2 were max vit (lil str for gear, like 60), max RS,SM,CE and resist,revive,attract,decripify then in process of lvling skel mages. Tho both ended dieing in the lvl 70s because of small mistake of being in a wrong spot and being instagib from physical dmg in Hell.

Seeing how the last 2 ended up, I tried something new, instead of only maxing vit, I keep enough dex to have 75% block (lucky enough to have trade a homunculus for like 8 pgems since it was socket with a flawless diamond instead of perfect). AND instead of going for max skel mages this time I went for max Bone Armor synergies. This might not be as important in softcore as in hardcore, but I personnally wouldnt look back on this decision either way. Having this 300~500hp+ buffer is a godsent, AND I still have 5 mages with me at all time only from +skill.

12. Bandit

Bandit IncGamers Member

Wow, ok, thanks guys, very informative ^_^ I think I'm gonna go max mages and max CE for the wonderful killing speed...by then I'll hit 80 and all will be well. I've got only one point in revive, but with +skills it's up to about 12 haha so I'm not too worried about that. Thanks alot for the info you guys :D

13. AresXVII

AresXVII IncGamers Member

yea, my first summoner i made the mistake you didnt.
    i put about 5 into revive, and i just had wayy way too many
    now, with only one point, i can get 17 revivies, way more than i ever use(until my and my friend start doin some uber runs...then i max the urdurs)

14. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

I personally maxed mages. Mostly maxed CE (l88 now...)

Put like 5 points in revive so I get 12 skellies, 12 mages and 16 revives in my army. Beast RW helps mages throw faster (i've personally tested..check it out yourself) so if you have it, use it.

As for making pride in an iron golem: OUCH. Too costly for me. I'm forever sold on clay gol now having used both for a looong time. My merc has pride anyway and I found its basically overkill in mF ing :)