Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mageazon 1.0

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ravenforce3, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

Mageazon 1.0

Ok, this is my first attempt at creating a strategy guide, so bear with me.

Mageazons: Fire and Ice
    A guide for the rest of us.

Table of Contents:
    - Why Mageazons?
    - You mean I can build this myself?
    - Don’t you need all kinds of great equipment?
    - How do I build one of my very own?

Why Mageazons?

For me, creating the mageazon was something I chose to do because I was sick and tired of the usual builds. Lightning Fury amazons are too overpowered and tear through groups of non-Lightning Immune monsters with such speed that it puts even the best Whirlwinding barbarians to shame. Strafeazons and Multizons are both heavily equipment dependant, both in bow and their precious breakpoints. A mageazon is different. This is a girl you can take through the game pretty much untwinked. There are only a few really “godly†items for this build and they are all VERY common.

You mean I can build this myself?

Certainly. Even if you have never touched a bow before in your life, you too can experience the ecstasy of firing bolts or arrows that explode, explode and burn, or freeze hoards of monsters with the click of a button. Yes, you can do the same thing with a sorceress, but even though you can’t compete with their power, every shot you fire is dual damage: Fire/Cold AND physical. This gives you a distinct advantage that truly makes this build viable.

Don’t you need all kinds of great equipment?

Certainly not! There are a few desirable items that would really enhance her greatly, but none that are vital to your survival. Unlike Strafeazons who are dependant of the damage listed on their bow to strike down their foes or Lightning Fury Javazons who I have never seen without a set of Titan’s Revenge in their right hand, you could potentially go through the game with a Cracked Short Bow you found right out of the gate. Granted, it’s not advisable to do that, it can be done. This is because your arrows serve as a means of travel for less powerful versions of sorceress spells more than damaging items.

How do I build one of my very own?

There are many schools of thought to building one. However, it all comes down to two skills: Immolation Arrow and Freezing Arrow. Personally, I prefer to use Immolation with Freezing as a back up, but you could reverse it. A pure Immolation mageazon would look something like this:
    20 Immolation Arrow
    20 Exploding Arrow
    20 Fire Arrow
    20 Valkyrie
    6 Pierce
    1 into all prerequisites
    Build finished at Lvl 80-85

There is one fundamental flaw in this build, though. There is no way to deal with fire immunes. Sure, you could potentially start pumping Freezing Arrow like mad and pray for the best, but it’s not going to work that well.

However, you can hybridize this build some. This opens up a whole world of customization to you. A sample of this would be:
    20 Immolation Arrow
    10 Exploding Arrow
    10 Fire Arrow
    10 Freezing Arrow
    10 Cold Arrow
    20 Valkyrie
    6 Pierce
    1 into all prerequisites
    Build finished at Lvl 80-85

Notice that, even though this build finishes out at the same time, the damage is more well-rounded.

Now, I know what some of you veterans are saying: Why not pump into Ice Arrow to lengthen the freeze time on Freezing Arrow? Simple: cold length stacks. By filling your inventory with some small cold damage charms, you stand to lengthen the time much more efficiently than Ice Arrow ever could, leaving you more points to up the damage.

Now, for the important stuff: stat/equipment suggestions. As far as I’m concerned, it boils down like this:

Str: enough to use your gear
    Dex: Enough to use your gear, plus the occasional pump for an Attack Rating boost.
    Vit: Vitality is life. If you are getting smacked around, put more here. About 100-120 should be sufficient for most people.
    Energy: This is your most important stat, IMO. Just like any other spellcaster, you are worthless without mana. Everything you can spare goes here.

As for equipment, I still think it’s not that important. However, there are some things that will make your life easier.
    Bows: There are three bows a mageazon should look at seriously. These are Kuko Shakaku, Skystrike, and Lycander’s Aim. Let’s examine these bows individually first.

Kuko: Adds obscene fire damage. +6 to Immolation arrow. +3 to all other Bow and Crossbow skills. Low requirements.

Skystrike: +1 to all Amazon skill levels. Very low requirements. Chance to cast Meteor on striking. 1-250 lightning damage.

Lycander’s: +2 to all Amazon skills; +4 to Bow and Crossbow total. Leeches mana. Highest damage, but also highest requirements.

Gloves are a different story. Some might say go for M’avina’s gloves for their bonus of more cold damage, but this isn’t a Frost Maiden. The name mageazon means only one glove is truly the best: Frostburns. There are two really important reasons to choose these. They are both for the monstrous boost to your ever-important mana pool and the cold damage. On its own, it can double the length of time on your Freezing Arrow.

Armor is another thing that takes a back seat in this build. There are many fine armors, even rare armors, that can be used to great effect. However, there is one stand out armor: Skin of the Vipermagi.

As for the rest of your equipment, this is the order I believe you should look for it in rares:
    - + to mana
    - % Damage taken goes to mana
    - Resists
    - IAS
    - + to skills
    - Cold damage over X seconds.
    - Damage reduction

For the actual building of the character, there are a few simple rules to follow:

- Always keep the enemy in front of you (duh!)
    - Valkyrie is your greatest ally, but Decoy can save your life if the Valk isn’t around.
    - A mercenary is all right for this build, but the choice is fairly limited due to the fact that none of them are as strong as the Valk.
    - Slow Missiles is your friend. Use it often.
    - Try to avoid recasting your Valkyrie if you can. The cast delay translates over to Immolation Arrow, rendering the skill useless for about 5 seconds.

And there you have it. All you ever wanted to know about the basics of a mageazon, but were afraid to ask.

Credits go here when there are some.

2. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Actually i think a defiance merc would be great for this build since it will pump up the valk def and not to mention makes the merc itself stronger

3. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

It's going good so far, but maybe you can add some info for every skill from the bow skills tree? Like does exploding arrow transfer the physical damage of the bow to all the monstres in the blast area, and you can explain about the freeze time for FA, that kind of stuff.

4. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

Yep ask if you can borrow the FA zon's explanation of FA freezing time.

5. Ravenforce3

I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the advice. Like I said, this was just a rough outline based on my personal experience with one. Keep it coming.

6. Vex_Nemox

Vex_Nemox IncGamers Member

I prefer the FA/Immo Mageazon. You can also get away with a single point in Freezing Arrow and use it just for the "Glacial Spike" effect to hold things in place while you burn them down with Immolation. Personally I think a 1pt FA and pumping the first Synergy (the one for Damage, not freeze time) would keep the mana cost down and up the damage. Also, like others mention, get a bit more into the FA part. A bunch of small cold damage charms can extend the Freeze time nicely enough.

Hope that was somewhat constructive.

7. Ravenforce3

I did get into how cold damage stacks some, but this is less FA oriented itself. I proably could go into it more. You do bring up a good point, Vex, but a few more points into FA is good because Cold Arrow adds to the base damage, meaning that if it has low damage, CA isn't adding that much. This was the reasoning behind the 10/10 distribution.

I'll proably edit and make some changes later this weekend. Look for 1.1 sometime in the near future. Once I work out the major issues, I'm going to submit it into the Zon forum. I'd rather embarass myself here with the little things (and some big) before taking it to the experts.

8. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Other bow of note: Witchwild String. Shoots slvl 20 Magic Arrows, so don't have to waste ammo on normal shots and deal magic damage (a little anyway). The deadly strike makes you deal double damage almost always with few points in critical strike. Chance to cast amplify damage, which ups your physical (leech) damage and increases the damage the Valkyrie and your merc deal. 2 sockets, 40% resist all, faster than Lycander's.

Other items of note: Raven Frost (4 seconds cold, all good mods for this build), Eye of Etlich (cheap and up to 10 seconds chill duration, life steal).

9. Ravenforce3

I'm trying to build a guide that doesn't require a lot of elite items that people cannot/do not have. I agree, Witchwild is a great bow. I have one that I'm planning on using as a midlevel bow for my modified Sniperzon. However, I also don't believe that the damage of the bow is as important. The first part of mageazon is in fact Mage. The arrow simply serves as a medium of travel.

I agree that I proably should have mentioned all the items that could help out your cold length/damage. I'm new to building guides. I'm trying to figure out how to write one in a concise manner that someone who may have never played the game could read once and understand 99% of it.

Besides, I didn't think that "Fires Magic Arrows" worked like that. I must test this further myself.

10. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

I use an Act 1 merc.. I had a Holy Freeze Act 2 merc from Act 2-5 of Nightmare, but he died so damn often when I got to Hell, that eventually I just gave up and sacked him. The Valk can just stand there unscathed by packs of monsters that would have killed my merc in a fraction of a second.

I guess an Act 3 cold merc might be nice for this build, too. Add a little more "hold 'em still so you can blast 'em" power.

11. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Well, if you mention Lycander's, you might as well mention Witchwild, since I believe Witchwild is easier to get ;) A lower level bow worth mention is Wizendraw...the -enemy cold resist never hurts and it's a normal grade unique. Getting one and upgrading shouldn't be a problem unless you're totally untwinked.

On the Magic Arrow part: I doesn't use ammo, that's for sure. I think it also does convert physical damage to magic damage but I'll have to do some testing to be 100% sure. I'm pretty sure you don't get the AR from it. Not sure on the +slvl damage it gives either, but I doubt anyone will ever care there.

12. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Ravenforce, that's a great beginning to your guide. Here are my suggestions for addition.

1.) Add a portion about how you like to play with them. Do you freeze monsters and stack immo on them? Do you mostly explode w/immo at them and not try to keep them in one place? Do you recast Valk/Decoy in a pack and keep them in place that way?

2.) When do you use which skills? Is there ever a time when you use exploding arrow rather than immolation? Do you freeze/immolate and let your valk pick at them?

3.) A levelling guide might be nice. I didn't want to write one for mine, but enough people asked for it. Plus, if you haven't played much before and don't know the mechanics of D2, you might have no idea which skill to max first, etc., especially if you're aiming this to a more untwinked public.

4.) I would probably expect a HF merc? The chilling would keep monsters on your carpet of fire a bit longer.

5.) Perhaps you could explain the ways that you get by the fire/PI's. (WW string is useful for this w/its magic damage when used as a normal attack, as Zarhrezz mentioned) Also, a list of the most difficult places in the game would be nice.

6.) You might want to steer away from comparing this build to a poor sorc. There are many things about this build that make it more fun than a sorc build, and you could mention those. e.g. Valk rules, you don't make the most annoying sound in the world when you die... :p

7.) While you don't want to suggest high-level items, a mention of crushing blow might be very nice. Since your method of delivery is physical, CB would be awesome.

Anyway, this is a great start. I think that if you fleshed out your ideas further, it'd be a great guide not only for your build, but for untwinked D2 in general, since this is a very viable first build...unless you're not interested in writing a more general guide, which would be very understandable.

13. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Good start. Maybe provide some insight towards another magezon build - ice/lightning. I've used it to great effectiveness on my magezon. I could post my build, but I'd rather see what you'd come up with. Its much more effective in dealing with bosses, IMO.

14. Ravenforce3

Ice/Lightning? Are you talking like a hybridzon? :scratch:

15. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

Well, I consider any zon who pumps energy and doesn't rely on leech and uses magical type skills as a magezon. But I guess you could call it a hybridzon.

FA, Charged, LF - not gonna go into details though.

16. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

not bad... i like guides to provide skill level allocations per level up, or at least generally... i have a hard time 'planning' out my builds...

17. Ravenforce3

*NOTE* This is the wrong guide. The links need to be updated.

18. Naraka

Naraka IncGamers Member

ah... YES update the links...borlag, AE... et al. :)

These guides are my life right now, especially seeing as how these guides don't appear to make it on the strategy section of dii.net ......... which needs to be corrected!!

I can't access these forums at work, but I CAN access the guides in the strategy section.

Naraka