Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

mage or liberator

Discussion in 'PvP' started by moonlike, Oct 17, 2006.

1. moonlike

moonlike Banned

mage or liberator

or maybe just normal hammerdin
    who has less weaknes vs all ?

2. jsyou

jsyou Banned

depends on your wealth and where your gonna duel mostly.
    mage is very good but foh gets shutdown too easy and you will have trouble vs any es sor wind druids.

liberator has 2 good attacks but got trouble vs wind druids bone necs trappers with high fcr atleast thats what i been running into mostly

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo IncGamers Member

windys will give hdins trouble no matter what. make a mage i have one it does very well

4. DarkMousy

DarkMousy IncGamers Member

I prefer libby or vanquisher myself. Being able to smite/charge druids helps ALOT. Necros are tough regardless, a good necro will stack your foh with 20/11 scs and stack gear so a mage is really not different from a good hdin. Charge + telesmiting necros into hammerfields works at times as well.

5. moonlike

moonlike Banned

why tele smite when u can hammer them ?(btw i dont consider nec especially hard ,my test pvp hammer had problems with druids and fast es fire sorcs )
    grief didn't help at all vs druids after few duels they stop nl but tele close and tornado .

6. matchuk

matchuk IncGamers Member

mage for sure looks fun i wish i had wealth for one

7. oneBlast

oneBlast IncGamers Member

I was thinking about libby as well.
    I'd have to wait untill reset, as I don't have a good spirit on nl.
    I was thinking something like this:

Shako ber/ coa
    eni mp
    20fcr ammy (or 10 fcr ammy+fcr ring)
    raven
    spirit st 35fcr
    trangs
    ww's
    5 pcs
    life/res scs
    anni/ torch
    Grief PB

75fcr/ 86fhr/ 11k hammers/ decent charge dmg/ 50dr/ about 4.5k life.

I 've had an idea tho:

wouldn't lw ba with it's aura, combined with the huge ed from conc do more dmg than grief +conc?

What you guys think, as I'm all that into math :)

8. Gotcha

Gotcha IncGamers Member

I think what makes the grief key for these types of builds is that the +damage helps a ton in the smite department where no other weapon can come close. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also a mages Conv., etc. can get shut down by any stacker (in general) so my vote is on the libby type build however you make it and against windy's I hear smiting up when they tele on you works great yet I am still in the process of building my grieferdin so I have no practice yet.

9. jsyou

jsyou Banned

grief+highlord is better than any lastwish you can get 75fcr by using trang+skill belt+spirit

10. moonlike

moonlike Banned

i tried smiteing with grief but it dont work SO good i was disappointed tbh

11. Gotcha

Gotcha IncGamers Member

I have not tried this yet on windy's since I am still building my pally but I keep reading that when the windy tele's on you smite up fast. Maybe a few smites then hammer while stunned (not sure). I wish more people played libby varients to get feedback.

12. Ronaldo

Ronaldo IncGamers Member

if youre a good hdin not many builds will trouble a mage. if they dont stack, you win. if they do, be a good hdin. 10k hammers works damn well on my mage against people who stack/sorb. im sick of seeing threads that say "make char xxx and not yyy cuz char yyy will get sorbed"

13. Gotcha

Gotcha IncGamers Member

I do not think anyone is bashing any of the builds per say. Mages are a great build. Libby's are a great build as well. The original question was just sorta stated in a way as to understand the weaknesses, etc. A mage has one attack (hammer) which can not be absorbed, well maybe two with charge if they somehow work that skill into their build somehow along with their FOH which can and by good duelers will be absorbed. A libby varient (depending on how they are built) has 2 or 3 skills which can not be absorbed depending on how you make your character (charge, smite and hammers) with only the physical attacks offering a chance for PDR at most.

That said, both characters are great and work well. In past patches I used to play a mage. I was not great with him yet that is due to not putting enough time into the learning curve and obtaining the items needed. Both builds work great and are fun to play so please do not flame me if I made an earlier statement regarding the abs issue. I did not intend it to be a bad thing, just a weakness.