Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

macintosh?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Uchiha Sasuke, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Uchiha Sasuke

Uchiha Sasuke Banned

macintosh?

What's the difference between a mac and a pc?

Pros and cons?

2. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

the operating system.

3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Before this turns into an OS sniping contest let me tell you about my experiences.

My first computer was an Apple ][c and it was good at the time, but I always wanted the games and stuff that my friends with PCs had. Aside from the games (and there were some pretty good Apple games back then), the Apple did everything I needed it to... which pretty much began and ended with word processing and simple programming.

Skip ahead, past the decade I went without a computer, to 2000. I bought a second hand G3 400 iMac (it was a year old). It had 64mb RAM and a 10Gb HDD. I still have, and use, that Mac. In the nearly seven years I have owned it, the only problem I ever had was when the CDD failed. The CDD failed after over five years of constant use, and by constant I mean a minimum of 16 hours of spinning game and music CDs a day, so it is not surprising. I replaced the CD drive with a DVD burner. I have a pet ferret and the other problems are all attributable to her thieving and curiosity. First, she decided that she wanted the mouse, so she tried to steal it several times. My Mac sits on my coffee table in front of the TV and I have tiled floors, so when she knocked the mouse off the table it broke when it hit the floor. I replaced the mouse. Another time she decided she wanted to drink beer from the bottle I had on the table but instead of dealing with a drunk ferret I ended up with a beer sodden keyboard. I had to replace the keyboard. The only other things I have done is upgrade the operating system (from OS9 to OSX), buy a 30Gb external HDD and some extra RAM. This Mac still works perfectly but is now hopelessly out of date, despite the fact it can still do almost everything I need it for. In all that time the Mac froze less than 10 times, each time because I was trying to render too many things at once.

When I started university this year it became apparent that I would need a new computer so that I had a version of Word that synch'd with the uni computers. MS Word:Mac 2000 doesn't like to work with MS Word 2003 files. I also have been wanting to get some new games for a while and the Mac was simply too old and slow, not to mention the tiny 10Gb HDD. So I got a PC. When I say I had more problems in seven hours on a PC than I did in seven years on a Mac I am not joking, nor am I exaggerating. The damned thing ****ed up non-stop for a week all because (apparently) I had started D2 as soon as it was finished installing, instead of rebooting (on a Mac if it's installed, it's good to go). I had to send it off to get fixed before the first week was out. Though it was cheaper in terms of up-front costs, I would have ended up saving money had I bought another second hand Mac. Now that it is working properly I have been able to notice a few things. The most obvious is that even though the PC has three times the RAM and double the speed, I do not see a performance increase, in fact it is slower in some cases than on the Mac. The only good things about it are all the new games I can get and the cheap upgrading.

If you want a reliable computer that will last you for years, is user friendly, incredibly stable and immune to viruses (I didn't mention the ability to surf pr0n and hacking sites with impunity on the Mac did I? I never even had a firewall, let alone anti-virus software and can name the sites that gave me pop-ups off the top of my head) get a Mac. Especially get a Mac if you want to do anything involving video or graphics. It is more expensive in the short term, but it more than pays itself off in the long run. If you want a cheap computer with even cheaper replacement parts just so you can play some games, get a PC.

People that ***** and moan about Macs come in two flavours - those who have never used one, and those that only want a games machine.

'Nix for stability, Mac for productivity, PC for Solitaire.

4. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Every experience I've had of Macs has left me deeply annoyed. And they've given me constant critical bug problems; meanwhile my PC with Win 98 (notoriously buggy) has hardly given me any BSODs at all. And most of those were the fault of some crappy programs.

Mind you, had I owned the Macs myself and not been using ones at school or work things might have been different.

I've also seen the horrors of Windows gone bad (on other people's computers). However I think that if you know what you're doing and don't have a lot of no-name hardware you'll actually be fine.

I've also been using the internet constantly for eight years or more with absolutely no firewalls, blockers, virus protectors or anything else. I only installed Spybot recently. I get a fair bit of adware, but still not one single virus. And I go to PLENTY of disreputable sites, although I am careful with what I download (that's irrelevant since I'm talking about executables, and they aren't compatible with Macs anyway).

People will tell you a lot of things, but ultimately it varies from person to person. There is no easy answer. Well, unless you want to play games because in that case you have no choice.

5. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

A PC is a dorky middle aged dude, and a Mac is a hipster annoying emo kid?

Or that's what tv told me, anyways.

6. themachine

themachine IncGamers Member

There is no difference. A Macintosh IS a PC (Personal Computer) as is a Windows computer.

MACS:
    **pros:
    •Space saving
    •Nice designs
    •Trendy
    •Very few cables
    •No need for virus protection (since virus code writers dont want to waste their time targetting 1% of the world's computer population)
    **cons:
    •Very few games available for Macs
    •VERY expensive to purchase and maintain(price is dropping now though, now that they arent being built with Mac only hardware)
    •Not very upgradeable. Want a new, faster cpu? May as well buy a new Mac!

WINDOWS
    **pros:
    •GAMES! and lots of them
    •Very upgradeable,tweakable systems
    •Inexpensive to buy and maintain
    •Very customizeable (cases/towers come in all shapes and sizes)
    •More software available for WIndows than for Mac (Im not talking about games)
    **cons:
    •Takes up more room than a Mac (but still not lots)
    •Lots of cables (so?)
    •Lots of viruses for Windows (AVG is free - get it! And quit downloading pron!)

As far as Macs being better for graphics or video editing or anything... THAT IS A TOTAL MYTH. The only software available for such things USED TO BE for Macs only back in the early 80's. There is nothing a Mac can do that a Windows machine cannot do better. (I work as a graphic artist on Macs for a living and would much rather use Windows machines).

7. skihard

skihard Banned

Mac if you wish to walk with your nose in the air

PC if you wish to walk with your nose in a maintenance manual

seriously.....both will do the things the average user needs with roughly the same performance, both have bugs, both have people writing viruses, spy wear etc.. still with only 15% of people using macs you only have 15% of the number of hacker weenies so updates and crap don't need to be done as often

Oh and one more thing, why do Mac people make such a big deal about being able to run Windows and PC environment software if they're Mac is the most wonderful thing ever? I never hear commercials going hey I can run OX10 on my PC now yeah!!!

8. themachine

15%??? Try more like less than 1%.

9. skihard

skihard Banned

1% in business, I agree, but according to this over 18% now use Macs, or this, or maybe this

sorry this many stories can't all be wrong can they

10. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

On my current computer, which was assembled from parts, I've never once gotten a Blue Screen of Death, or any other serious error message. I've been using this computer for about three years now, and I don't have any 'typical Windows' problems. This computer cost me about 800 dollars for the case and everthing in it when it was new, and since then all I've done is doubled the RAM (to 1 gig) and bought a new vid card, (total cost of internals <$1k) and it'll run all the big bad games fine (Half Life 2, Doom 3, etc).

It boots up in less than 30 seconds (not that that matters, it probably gets turned off once a week).

My experiences with Macs have been bad. I worked on the yearbook my senior year in high school, and we had a bunch of Macs to work and play with. Working with them was horrible, and playing around in spare time was even worse. About halfway through the year, we got a slew of new PCs, and the first thing we did was transfer everything over and ditch the Macs, and the rest of the year went very smooth.

That's just my personal experience, I know there are plenty of Windows machines with problems, and plenty of Mac users who are happy with their system. I personally think its a matter of personal tastes, because if you know anything at all about what you're doing, you can avoid most of the viruses that PCs are so vulnerable to.

11. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

One great thing about Mac Notebooks: when you shut the lid, they're off. When you open the lid, they're on.

I'm jealous of my classmates who have this feature over my PC which takes a minute or two to boot up each time.

I'd say OSX is superior to Windows in terms of stability and security. Plus, imo, it's a superior OS for almost everything most people need to do. It's simple, plus it's the "in" thing to use.

If you go with a PC, you'll be using Windows, which for me has been a very frustrating experience, especially as of late.

But, I'm using Linux as my primary OS on both my computers now, and the frustrations of Windows are a thing of the past.

I dual boot so I can play games when the urge arises.

Long story short, if I ever buy another notebook, it will be a Mac, but for the desktop, I'll stick with a PC and dual boot as I am now.

12. themachine

Windows machines only get major issues if you are an idiot and arent maintaining your computer. I have never had any major issues on my machine. I run games like FEAR, HalfLife2, Quake4 flawlessly and spent no more than $1k Canadian on it.

I have had constant problems on Mac computers which I have been working on for the past 5 years. They crash for no reason right out of the blue (yes OSX). They arent any where near as stable as they claim to be. Our advertising dept here at work (which I am a part of) has to have a Windows machine for certain software we need as it just isnt available on Mac. We also use the Windows machine for FTP as our Macs don't communicate with the servers properly (typical Mac crap networkign issues) and only get about 6k/s uploads to a LOCAL FTP server.

13. themachine

According to the sites you linked to, they are talking about Macs in schools. I can see a rise in Macs in schools but in private residences and such there is NO WAY they can be 18% of private home user market. Of all the home computers out there Macs are still only about 1% at best. And even if they were 18%, no coder is going to waste his time targetting such a small market. Not unless Mac keeps up its arrogance in its advertising. Some day soon someone is going to get sick of all the false claims Mac makes in its advertising and is going to start writing really nasty Mac viruses just to shut them up. Since Mac has little to no experience in virus security it would likely take them months to figure out a fix.

14. skihard

skihard Banned

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know the people using those notebooks were leaving them at school and using a PC at home. MY BAD I'll leave this thread to he population experts now.

15. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

He means that school districts are buying Macs, not the students. They actually are left at schools, in the computer lab.

16. skihard

skihard Banned

Those articles which his comments are about say the students are either arriving with or purchasing their apples, not the school buying them and sticking them in the computer lab. Unless they leave the apple they brought with them at school as they go back to their private residence my statement is still the correct one.

So until he backs up his 1% I will stick with those and the other 100k plus articles on Google saying that the current level of mac/pc mix is about 15% / 85%

doesn't matter though I'm a PC guy

17. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Funny you say that. The Mac kid got booted a while back. Turns out people liked the PC guy better.

18. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

A while back? That story was on slashdot like 3 days ago...

19. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Well, it was a while for me.:laugh:

20. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

so mac owners don't like being portrayed as snobby *****es anymore?