Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Mac OSX 10.4 (aka Tiger) questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, May 16, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Mac OSX 10.4 (aka Tiger) questions

Just installed Tiger yesterday, and am curious to know what sort of fun things I can do with it. I think beyond the single-button mouse my only real complaint about Macs has always been that they spend so much time cramming fun features and quality programming into their OS' that they don't bother to take the time to write up any sort of guide or "here're all the fun things you can do" booklet to go with it beyond the uber-basic.

So for someone who's more adept than the person who needs instructions on how to turn on the computer, but not adept enough to be cranking out my own widgets, what should I know about Tiger? What fun features am I missing? So far the only things I've really done with it are download a widget to check the server status on my WoW server and one to have MLB scores scrolling on my dashboard.

I'd imagine there's a hell of a lot more to this update than that. KOW, or anyone, have any ideas of what I'm missing or where some good resources are to look?

2. publius

publius IncGamers Member

*ahem*

Though the things that I like are mostly the new spotlight feature and the fact that they finally fixed the bugs in Mail and Safari. I've also used Dashboard a couple of times.

3. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

you can buy a 2 button mouse btw :p

4. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Oh I know, I've had one since the advent of USB. Still just makes me scratch my head at the fact that Apple hasn't made the shift on their own.

And yeah, publius, I've read around in there, but to be honest it didn't really answer my questions. I dunno, maybe I'm just expecting more whizz-bang? Maybe it's just widgets I'm interested in. Apple has a bunch of em listed, but I'm curious about more of them, as there are endless possibilities of these guys.

5. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

*sits and waits for KOW*

Too bad my thread on macs got nerfed.

6. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Man, my friend recently bought a freaking crazy Mac. Don't know the specs by heart but its something like 2 gigs of Ram, 3.something GHZ processor, 800 Gig hardrive. It's crazy. The monitors are HUGE.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Fastest Mac out there is 2.7ghz dual G5s. Everything else is possible, those dual thirty inch screens are crazy.

As for fun little tidbits.

Hitting Control+Command(Apple Key)+D and mousing over a word with get the definition of the word. If you click on the button in the lower right of the window a dictionary pops up, from here you can change to a thesaurus or double click on any word in the definition to bring up that words definition. As always the system wide spellcheck and check as you type functions are there.

If you select a group of photos in finder and Control+Click and select "Slideshow" you can see all the pictures in a straight slideshow or in a tile view by using the one screen controls.

In the screen preferences you can now rotate the screen 90,180, or 270 degrees. It is pretty cool for wall mounted displays when you need to type a paper, that is how I make posters on my PB now.

Widgets from Apple are here.
    Command+Equal will open the Dashboard Dock

Automator actions are here.

Automator is getting better and better the more I use it, the batch renaming of files or running a Photoshop effect on a group of photos saves me a lot of time. I also like how I can trigger then via iCal events.

Spotlight plug-ins are here.

Spotlight is really great. It searches anything and everything. Holding Command when clicking on a result shows it in the Finder rather than launching it.

You can also use Boolean queries to search so using:
    Jobs|Wozniak will find documents mentioning either Jobs or Wozniak
    Jobs(-Wozniak) will find documents mentioning Jobs, but not Wozniak
    Jobs|Wozniak(-KOW) will find documents mentioning either Jobs or Wozniak, but not KOW

You can add metadata to any file on the system by putting text in the Comments field(Hit Command+I when the file is selected)

The RSS screensaver is fun for keeping up with new programs and info. Safari's built in RSS reader handles 300+ feeds with ease. While not revolutionary, still very handy.

I will post more as I think of them.

EDIT: Oh yeah you can add a program in your dock to your login items by clicking and holding until the menu comes up or right clicking and selecting "Open at Login"

You can also make "Smart Folders", like the smart playlists in iTunes, to get info based on metadata. I am using mine to keep track of all my current projects. "Smart Mailboxes" have also been added to Mail.app.

8. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

Oh, hell is slowly freezing over on that one. Apple is bringing out a 2button wireless mouse when they bring out their 1button wireless...

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I doubt it will be a two button mouse, more likely a touch/pressure sensitive piece with the same design as the current. I would also like to note that the rumor of a two button mouse from Apple has been around for years, it just comes and goes in cycles.

10. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member