Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

m0nk's CL/FO sorc guide (repost)

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Borlag, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

m0nk's CL/FO sorc guide (repost)

CL/FO Sorc 1.10 Guide v1.0

Main sections

A) Quick FAQ
    B) Skill allocation and statistics
    C) Stat allocation and statistics
    D) Equipment
    E) Techniques and Tips
    F) Closing Comments

CL/FO is a great all around build that rivals the effectiveness of (and at times surpasses) Meteorb in almost all areas except max damage.

This guide will help you build a viable CL/FO sorc for Hell that is also great for solo MFing, especially in areas rather than bosses (as in The Pit, etc) while providing a bit of customization room.

This is my first real guide to 1.10 so if you have any questions/comments/ideas feel free to express them.

A) Quick FAQ

How is this build for running through hell? Awesome. I think it's the best PvM build out there with the right equipment.

What kind of MFing can this build do? Just about anything. Eldritch, Shenk, other Ac5 Super Uniques, Baal, The Pit, Meph, Andariel, and Countess. Pindle is do-able but it's not particularly as fast as Meteor or Blizzard.

This is my first sorc. Do you recommend this for new sorcs? Probably not. Unless you are rich and have all the items to twink your sorc I think you would be much more suited for Meteorb. But then again, my guide may provide all the information you need to succeed.

Is CL as powerful as Meteor? Yes and No. This is explained in the CL section of Skill allocation and statistics.

Is CL/FO leet item dependant? To be an unstoppable speed freak killing machine, yes. To be decent, no.

Does the low minimum damage that CL has negatively effect the sorc's performance? In most occassions, you will never notice the minimum damage downside. If there are a low number of enemies on the screen, then yes it does come into play but that is why you have Lightning and FO to deal with them.

What is the 4 frame penalty? CL suffers a 4 frame penalty for hitting the same monsters more than once in a single cast. As long as monsters are far enough away that it doesn't violate the 4 frame penalty, CL will bounce back and forth between them for the full number of hits alloted (4 frames at CL's travel speed = about 2/3 of the vertical screen in distance). It can also hit monsters multiple times that are packed tightly. An example is: arcs 1-8 of 11 total arcs strike different monsters. Those hits take up 4 frames in which the last 3 arcs can nail the same monsters again.

What are the sorceress FCR breakpoints?

0%-8% = 13 fpc (frames per cast)
    9%-19% = 12 fpc
    20%-36% = 11 fpc
    37%-62% = 10 fpc
    63%-104% = 9 fpc (ideal for untwinked)
    105%-199% = 8 fpc (ideal for twinked)
    200+% = 7 fpc (impossible to achieve as far as I know)

CL and Lightning have a slower fpc I believe but I do not know for sure. It may start at 15-16fpc and drop from there. At 110% FCR you should be casting 2.5 times per second or close.

B) Skill allocation and statistics

Your typical build will look like this

18-**20 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    20 Lightning Mastery
    1-**5 Static Field
    1 Teleport
    2 in prereqs
    **1 Energy Shield
    **2-9 Charged Bolt (1st point is taken as prereq)

20 Frozen Orb
    10-**17 Cold Mastery
    1 Frozen Armor
    5 in prereqs
    **1 Chilling Armor
    **1 Shiver Armor

**1 Warmth
    ** = customizable skills

The main build is complete at 98 points or level **.

The customizable skills listed can be a bit of tailoring to the build according to how you want to play but you only have 11 hard to get points to play with so it's more of an end game deal. If you want to concentrate on Hell Meph, put more in CM. If you want to run The Pit more, raise Lightning and CB. If you feel the need to increase your Static Field range, go ahead.

Chain Lightning
    Each point in a CL synergy raises the damage by almost 100/arc. By increasing the optional skill CB to 5 you would effectively get a 250 average damage per arc increase to each target. A notable increase.

The damage factor of CL is a bit hazy. It can do massive damage but in a different respect to Meteor.

A quick calculation reveals this:
    (with these stats: 20CL/20L/20LM/1CB/+10skills/+0 monster resists/CL damage = 9-3949):

1970 average damage * 11 targets * 4 CL = 86680 average damage per 1.2 seconds

That's a ton of damage and it's a screen killer. But...with the 4 frame penalty in effect thats only 7880 average damage to each individual enemy. This is what I am talking about when I say CL slows down in high player hell games. 7880 damage doesn't really cut it due to monster/player count scaling. But it is more than adequate for solo or low player games.

The other downside to CL is it is very mana intensive. But there are ways to deal with this in which I will discuss in Tips and Tactics section.

But then you have to consider CL's other good attributes. Where Meteor is confined to a 4 meter space on the screen, CL can hit enemies anywhere within 1.5 screens and start arcing targets from any point. It also decimates packs of monsters that tend to scatter, killing them much faster than a Meteor sorc could. Scattering enemies like devilkin, demon imps, blood lords, Succubus, etc.

With the change from IAS to FCR dependency in 1.10, it is much easier to obtain insane casting speed with CL. It is possible to cast 5-6 CL by the time one meteor hits the ground using 105% FCR. FCR is very important to increasing your damage output. The faster you can cast CL the more damage you will do over time. You just can't do that with Meteor. FCR to a CL sorc is just as important as IAS to a Bowazon.

Lightning
    You should also have Lightning maxed for the CL synergy. This is a great finishing skill for those left over monsters. It is also a great CI super unique killer for monsters like Shenk. Not much to say here as it is a pretty straightforward skill.

Frozon Orb and Cold Mastery
    For more information on FO and CM, I decided to include an excerpt from sajsa's Meteorb guide. Very informative and everything sajsa explains applies here.

CL/FO stats very item dependent. If you have the equipment to twink your sorc you will find you have much more room for VIT and Max Block. I do recommend a bit of planning on what equipment you will be looking to use. Winging stats for this build, while do-able, is not advised. You can do decent I suppose but you want to be the best you can be.

The typical Max Block spread

STR - enough for equipment
    DEX - enough for max block which depends on your shield
    VIT - everything else
    ENE - 100-125 depending on +mana equipment

The typical VIT sorc spread

DEX - Base
    VIT - everything else

A highly twinked sorc could save further stat points to accumulate more life, add mana or easily obtain max block.

I highly recommend Max Block but it does require a bit of twinking equipment to make it effective. You are stationary while casting CL which means you are a target for ranged. Blocking 75% of ranged attacks is a good deal. It is also a good idea to put one point in Energy Shield since you will be pumping DEX with stats that could boost your life by over 200 points in VIT.

For more information on Max block and Energy shield visit wc3pomet's very informative thread here

I will say one thing in defense of ES. It's better to see your blue orb disappear than your red. If you find you are having problems staying alive, try a point in ES.

D) Equipment

To help those that will be playing untwinked I will list the mods to look for, followed by a list of ideal/adequate equipment. A CL/FO sorc responds very well to better equipment. The more +skills and FCR you can obtain, the faster your CL will kill. With a synergized CL at slvl20 and no +skills, you will do 6-1954. With +10 skills you will do 9-3949 which doubles your damage. And it nearly doubles again with +20 skills to 11-6606.

Very important mods
    - +Skills
    - Fast Cast Rate
    - +Mana/+Life
    - Cannot be Frozen (Being frozen absolutely destroys your killing power. This mod is a must!)
    - Resists
    - Magic Find
    - High chance to block (for max block sorcs)

Good to have mods
    - Fast Hit Recovery
    - Faster Run/Walk
    - Absorb
    - +Mana after kill
    - Higher Defense
    - Damage to mana
    - Damage reduction

A quick word about choosing your equipment
    If you don't have some of the things here, choose items with similiar mods or at least items with mods I have listed above. Also don't forget about the wonderful world of trading. You don't have to find all this stuff on your own. These are listed in no special order.

Armor
    Enigma runeword
    Chains of Honor runeword
    Vipermagi
    Tal Rasha's Gaurdianship
    Que-Hagans Wisdom
    Duriel's Shell
    Skullder's Ire
    Naj's Light Plate

Helm
    Harlequin Crest
    Tal Rasha's Crest
    Nightwing's Veil
    Andariel's Visage
    Tarnhelm
    Peasant Crown
    Rockstopper
    Lore runeword
    +2/3 skills Rare/Magical Circlet (could get some very nice secondary mods on these including FCR, MF and Resists)
    Griffon's Eye Diadem
    Kiara's Gaurdian Tiara

Weapon
    Occulus
    Death's Fathom
    Eschuta's Temper
    Wizardspike
    Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye
    +2all or +3Lightning skills Orb

Shield
    Whistan's Gaurd
    Storm Shield
    Rhyme runeword
    Sanctuary runeword
    Gerke's Sanctuary
    Visceratuant
    Wall of the Eyeless
    Lidless Wall
    3-4 socket shield with Ist, Um, or Pdiamonds
    Moser's Blessed Circle

Belt
    Arachnid Mesh
    Verdungo's Mighty Cord
    String of Ears
    Tal Rasha's Fine Spun Cloth
    Nightsmoke
    Thunder God's Vigor
    Gloomstrap
    Trang Oul's Girth
    Credendum

Gloves
    Frostburns
    Magefist
    Chance Gaurds
    Trang-Ouls Claws
    Caster Gloves (see Tips and Tactics for creating caster equipment)

Boots
    War Travelers
    Silkweave
    Waterwalk
    Sandstorm Trek
    Natalya's Soul
    Cow King's Hooves
    Aldur's Advance
    Caster boots

Amulet
    Mara's Kaleidascope
    Saracen's Chance
    The Mahim-Oak Curio
    Telling of Beads
    Tal Rasha's Adjudication
    +3 skills Magical Amulet
    20% FCR rare amulet

Rings
    Stone of Jordan
    Ravenfrost
    NagelRing
    Dwarf Star
    Wisp Projector
    Manald Heal
    +Mana/Life/Resist/MF rare rings
    10% Dual mod FCR magical rings

A cheap way to get 78%MF is to wear Tancred's Wierd amulet with another Tancred's set item, preferably the boots.

Set bonuses with Tancred's Wierd amulet and Tancred's Hobnails boots would be:
    +15 Lightning Damage
    Heal Stamina Plus 25%
    +10 to Dexterity
    30% Faster Run/Walk
    Damage Reduced by 2
    Magic Damage Reduced by 1
    +78% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

Not too shabby indeed. Another would be to use Vidala's Rig with the amulet and boots.

Set bonuses with Vidala's Fetlock boots and Vidala's Snare amulet would be:
    Cold Resist 20%
    +15 To Life
    50% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
    30% Faster Run/Walk
    +150 to Maximum Stamina
    All Resistances +8
    +75 To Attack Rating

It's always best to plan your equipment before hand, especially if it has rigorous requirements. Remember that you can fill unwanted voids in mods by using charms and by socketing items. This allows even more flexibility when designing your optimal equipment.

My picks:
    Vipermagi or Enigma or Skullder's Ire
    Harlequin Crest
    Storm Shield or Whistan's Gaurd(alt Lidless Wall)
    Frostburns or Magefist or Chance Gaurds
    Stone of Jordan or Dual Mod FRC magical ring
    Ravenfrost or +Mana/resists rare ring
    Occulus or Death's Fathom(alt Wizspike)
    War Traveler's
    Arachnid's Mesh or Verdungo's Mighty Cord or Tal Rasha's Fine Spun Cloth
    Mara's or Tal Rasha's Adjudication or Dual Mod +3 Lightning amulet

My current equipment:
    Vipermagi Ptopazed
    Harlequin Crest Ptopazed
    Whistan's Gaurd Umed (alt Lidless Wall)
    Occulus Isted (alt Wizspike)
    Dual Mod 10% FCR/19% MF magical ring
    Ravenfrost
    Dual Mod +3 Light skills/25% MF magical amulet
    Frostburns
    War Traveler's

E) Techniques and Tips

Level Progression

Starting out in Act1 Normal try to find a +skills staff to get you through to clvl12. Only put points in prereqs as every point you have is essential finishing the build sooner and to maxing the power of your 3 main skills. At clvl12 start pumping Lightning exclusively. It is mana intensive so find some socketable items and put some chipped sapphires in there to increase your mana pool. Continue to use your +skills staff for most enemies and use Lightning for the big ones. At clvl18 start pumping CL exclusively. At clvl30 place 1 point in LM and then Max FO and get CM to 5-8. This will get you through Nightmare with amazing ease and it's much less mana intensive than the Lightning tree. Once FO and CM are done, get CL and Lightning to slvl10 then max LM. Finally, finish CL first and then Lightning last. Your remaining skill points can go to customize the build to fit your priorities.

Gameplay Tips
    Open with FO. This will drain most monster's health to half. CL easily dispatches them after that and it saves you some mana while keeping most of the speed.
    Use FO or Lightning to kill single or few enemies. It's much less mana intensive and much more powerful than CL.
    Use a defiance merc for Meph. Try to keep him alive and go back to town quickly and talk to Ormus to heal him if you need to. Use the extra money saved from reviving your merc to gamble circlets and coronets. You don't have to use a merc for Meph but I run The Pit and Meph in one game and it's just easier and cheaper to keep him alive.
    Bind your offensive spells to your left click and Static/TP/Buff to your right click. This allows you cast your spells while leaving Teleport active on your right click for fast moving or quick escapes. When done correctly you are a speed freak killing machine.
    Bind your skills off of the F# row. My skills are ERTSDFGCVB and my info screens are F1-F6. This allows for quicker changing of skills which you will need to be effective. It takes a bit to get used to but it works much better. You will see what I mean in my next tip.
    You will be using FO against Act bosses. You can squeeze an extra attack with 70& FCR and 2 extra attacks with 110% FCR inbetween FO casts. FO-Lightning-FO-Lightning-FO or FO-L-L-FO-L-L-FO etc.
    If you are having troubles staying alive, try a point in ES, get more resists, or add life. Also review your techniques in how you approach and kill monsters. Learn which to be careful around.
    This build is mana intensive. Pick up greater/super mana pots on the ground to keep your belt full and lessen trips to town. Use Lightning and FO more if you need to.
    Mods that you will want to aspire to are 70%FCR, 700 life/mana, 50% resists, +10 skills. In a perfect world it would be 110% FCR, 1000 life/mana, max resists, +15 or more skills. I can't even reach that so don't worry

Merc Recommendation

You need a tank. This limits the good mercs to Act2 and Act5. While Act5 mercs are decent, you can't beat the auras that Act2 mercs give to you and your party. The best of them is Defiance or Holy Freeze.

Act 2 Defiance mercs are found in Normal and Hell modes under "Defensive". The Holy Freeze merc is in Act 2 Nightmare also under "Defensive".

Holy Freeze is better versus monsters as even Cold Immunes are frozen. Defiance is better versus act bosses.

Merc equipment should be essentially the same whether for Defiance or Holy freeze. High defense armor, high damage-decently quick weapon, plenty of life leech, max resists. Ideally it would be similiar to Reaper's Toll cryptic axe (polearm, Bonehew works good too), ethereal armor with 1200 defense or more, and Tal Rasha's Helm for more life leech. Socket them according to his needs.

Caster Items

Caster items can be invaluable but are not available to you until Nightmare mode. A complete list can be found here. This is more for people that are just starting out on the ladder or simply don't have any sorc items available. It helps by filling a void in equipment where you have to use an unrelated item with no helpful mods. If you plan on doing this be sure to keep those crappy jewels and every amethyst gem you can find for use when crafting.

Dealing with the High mana consumption of CL

Due to it's spammable nature, CL can cost a ton of mana. You can see how much it costs by multiplying it's mana cost to times cast per second.

A level slvl30 CL will cost 38 mana * 2.5/second with 110% FCR = 95 mana/second

So what can you do about it? Well mana regeneration doesn't help a 95 mana/second drain so it's almost worthless which is why I put very little, if any, in Warmth. It's best to have the highest mana pool you can get. That coupled with +Mana after kill is the best mod you can get. As well as Damage to Mana.

F) Closing Comments

This build plays very differently than a Meteorb build. You will be constantly casting and TPing. Always doing something and doing it with blazing speed. CL/FO is living life on the edge. In contrast to the Meteorb build where moving too fast can get you into trouble and slow/methodical ruled the day.

<3 CL/FO and I hope you enjoy it as well.
    Code:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sasja
    Why Frozen Orb and Cold Mastery?
    1.10 has made the Sorceress' skill points incredibly tight by introducing synergies. Each tree has at least one attack with 3 synergies, which - if maxed - will get the damage of that attack to incredible heights. But maxing this attack to the full will cost you 20 skill points in the attack itself, 3*20 skill points in synergies, and another 20 points in the relevant mastery, so this requires 100 skill points out of 110 being ultimately available at level 99 - a level most of us will never reach! Having a cold spell which slows the fast monsters i Hell is invaluable, and Frozen Orb is a bargain. It only has one synergy, which is not powerful enough to really be necessary, kicks *** all the way through Nightmare, and does decent damage in Hell. Furthermore, the unique function of Cold Mastery makes a few points go a long way. Each skill point in Cold Mastery will increase the percentage which will be subtracted from your opponent's cold resistance before calculating the damage, down to a minimum of -100%. Only cold immune monsters cannot be affected by Cold Mastery. Let's run a few examples to see how useful this really is. I'll compare skill level 0, 1 (giving -30% to the monster's cold resistance), 7 (giving -50%), 17 (giving -100%) and 27 (giving -150%) in Cold Mastery, assuming an average of 265 damage pr shard for Frozen Orb.

Monster with 0 in cold resistance:
    Cold Mastery 0 (0%): 265 * (100 + 0)/100 = 265
    Cold Mastery 1 (20%): 265 * (100 + 20)/100 = 318 (improvement of 20% - not surprisingly)
    Cold Mastery 7 (50%): 265 * (100 + 50)/100 = 398 (improvement of 50%)
    Cold Mastery 17 (100%): 265 * (100 + 100)/100 = 530 (improvement of 100%)
    Cold Mastery 27 (150%): 265 * (100 + 100)/100 = 530 (improvement of 100% - remember that -100% is the lower cap)

Monster with 75 in cold resistance (for instance Mephisto):
    Cold Mastery 0 (0%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 0)/100 = 66
    Cold Mastery 1 (20%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 20)/100 = 146 (improvement of about 120%)
    Cold Mastery 7 (50%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 50)/100 = 199 (improvement of about 200%)
    Cold Mastery 17 (100%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 100)/100 = 331 (improvement of about 400%)
    Cold Mastery 27 (150%): 265 * (100 - 75 + 150)/100 = 464 (improvement of about 600%)

CL/FO stats very item dependent. If you have the equipment to twink your sorc you will find you have much more room for VIT and Max Block. I do recommend a bit of planning on what equipment you will be looking to use. Winging stats for this build, while do-able, is not advised. You can do decent I suppose but you want to be the best you can be.

The typical Max Block spread

DEX - enough for max block which depends on your shield
    VIT - everything else

The typical VIT sorc spread

DEX - Base
    VIT - everything else

A highly twinked sorc could save further stat points to accumulate more life, add mana or easily obtain max block.

I highly recommend Max Block but it does require a bit of twinking equipment to make it effective. You are stationary while casting CL which means you are a target for ranged. Blocking 75% of ranged attacks is a good deal. It is also a good idea to put one point in Energy Shield since you will be pumping DEX with stats that could boost your life by over 200 points in VIT.

For more information on Max block and Energy shield visit wc3pomet's very informative thread here

I will say one thing in defense of ES. It's better to see your blue orb disappear than your red. If you find you are having problems staying alive, try a point in ES.

D) Equipment

To help those that will be playing untwinked I will list the mods to look for, followed by a list of ideal/adequate equipment. A CL/FO sorc responds very well to better equipment. The more +skills and FCR you can obtain, the faster your CL will kill. With a synergized CL at slvl20 and no +skills, you will do 6-1954. With +10 skills you will do 9-3949 which doubles your damage. And it nearly doubles again with +20 skills to 11-6606.

Very important mods
    - +Skills
    - Fast Cast Rate
    - +Mana/+Life
    - Cannot be Frozen (Being frozen absolutely destroys your killing power. This mod is a must!)
    - Resists
    - Magic Find
    - High chance to block (for max block sorcs)

Good to have mods
    - Fast Hit Recovery
    - Faster Run/Walk
    - Absorb
    - +Mana after kill
    - Higher Defense
    - Damage to mana
    - Damage reduction

A quick word about choosing your equipment
    If you don't have some of the things here, choose items with similiar mods or at least items with mods I have listed above. Also don't forget about the wonderful world of trading. You don't have to find all this stuff on your own. These are listed in no special order.

Armor
    Enigma runeword
    Chains of Honor runeword
    Vipermagi
    Tal Rasha's Gaurdianship
    Que-Hagans Wisdom
    Duriel's Shell
    Skullder's Ire
    Naj's Light Plate

Helm
    Harlequin Crest
    Tal Rasha's Crest
    Nightwing's Veil
    Andariel's Visage
    Tarnhelm
    Peasant Crown
    Rockstopper
    Lore runeword
    +2/3 skills Rare/Magical Circlet (could get some very nice secondary mods on these including FCR, MF and Resists)
    Griffon's Eye Diadem
    Kiara's Gaurdian Tiara

Weapon
    Occulus
    Death's Fathom
    Eschuta's Temper
    Wizardspike
    Tal Rasha's Lidless Eye
    +2all or +3Lightning skills Orb

Shield
    Whistan's Gaurd
    Storm Shield
    Rhyme runeword
    Sanctuary runeword
    Gerke's Sanctuary
    Visceratuant
    Wall of the Eyeless
    Lidless Wall
    3-4 socket shield with Ist, Um, or Pdiamonds
    Moser's Blessed Circle

Belt
    Arachnid Mesh
    Verdungo's Mighty Cord
    String of Ears
    Nightsmoke
    Thunder God's Vigor
    Gloomstrap
    Trang Oul's Girth
    Credendum

Gloves
    Frostburns
    Magefist
    Chance Gaurds
    Trang-Ouls Claws
    Caster Gloves (see Tips and Tactics for creating caster equipment)

Boots
    War Travelers
    Silkweave
    Waterwalk
    Sandstorm Trek
    Natalya's Soul
    Cow King's Hooves
    Aldur's Advance
    Caster boots

Amulet
    Mara's Kaleidascope
    Saracen's Chance
    The Mahim-Oak Curio
    Telling of Beads
    Tal Rasha's Adjudication
    +3 skills Magical Amulet
    20% FCR rare amulet

Rings
    Stone of Jordan
    Ravenfrost
    NagelRing
    Dwarf Star
    Wisp Projector
    Manald Heal
    +Mana/Life/Resist/MF rare rings
    10% Dual mod FCR magical rings

A cheap way to get 78%MF is to wear Tancred's Wierd amulet with another Tancred's set item, preferably the boots.

Set bonuses with Tancred's Wierd amulet and Tancred's Hobnails boots would be:
    +15 Lightning Damage
    Heal Stamina Plus 25%
    +10 to Dexterity
    30% Faster Run/Walk
    Damage Reduced by 2
    Magic Damage Reduced by 1
    +78% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items

Not too shabby indeed. Another would be to use Vidala's Rig with the amulet and boots.

Set bonuses with Vidala's Fetlock boots and Vidala's Snare amulet would be:
    Cold Resist 20%
    +15 To Life
    50% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
    30% Faster Run/Walk
    +150 to Maximum Stamina
    All Resistances +8
    +75 To Attack Rating

It's always best to plan your equipment before hand, especially if it has rigorous requirements. Remember that you can fill unwanted voids in mods by using charms and by socketing items. This allows even more flexibility when designing your optimal equipment.

My picks:
    Vipermagi or Enigma or Skullder's Ire
    Harlequin Crest
    Storm Shield or Whistan's Gaurd(alt Lidless Wall)
    Frostburns or Magefist or Chance Gaurds
    Stone of Jordan or Dual Mod FRC magical ring
    Ravenfrost or +Mana/resists rare ring
    Occulus or Death's Fathom(alt Wizspike)
    War Traveler's
    Arachnid's Mesh or Verdungo's Mighty Cord or Tal Rasha's Fine Spun Cloth
    Mara's or Tal Rasha's Adjudication or Dual Mod +3 Lightning amulet

My current equipment:
    Vipermagi Ptopazed
    Harlequin Crest Ptopazed
    Whistan's Gaurd Umed (alt Lidless Wall)
    Occulus Isted (alt Wizspike)
    Dual Mod 10% FCR/19% MF magical ring
    Ravenfrost
    Dual Mod +3 Light skills/25% MF magical amulet
    Frostburns
    War Traveler's

E) Techniques and Tips

Level Progression

Starting out in Act1 Normal try to find a +skills staff to get you through to clvl12. Only put points in prereqs as every point you have is essential finishing the build sooner and to maxing the power of your 3 main skills. At clvl12 start pumping Lightning exclusively. It is mana intensive so find some socketable items and put some chipped sapphires in there to increase your mana pool. Continue to use your +skills staff for most enemies and use Lightning for the big ones. At clvl18 start pumping CL exclusively. At clvl30 place 1 point in LM and then Max FO and get CM to 5-8. This will get you through Nightmare with amazing ease and it's much less mana intensive than the Lightning tree. Once FO and CM are done, get CL and Lightning to slvl10 then max LM. Finally, finish CL first and then Lightning last. Your remaining skill points can go to customize the build to fit your priorities.

Gameplay Tips
    Open with FO. This will drain most monster's health to half. CL easily dispatches them after that and it saves you some mana while keeping most of the speed.
    Use FO or Lightning to kill single or few enemies. It's much less mana intensive and much more powerful than CL.
    Use a defiance merc for Meph. Try to keep him alive and go back to town quickly and talk to Ormus to heal him if you need to. Use the extra money saved from reviving your merc to gamble circlets and coronets. You don't have to use a merc for Meph but I run The Pit and Meph in one game and it's just easier and cheaper to keep him alive.
    Bind your offensive spells to your left click and Static/TP/Buff to your right click. This allows you cast your spells while leaving Teleport active on your right click for fast moving or quick escapes. When done correctly you are a speed freak killing machine.
    Bind your skills off of the F# row. My skills are ERTSDFGCVB and my info screens are F1-F6. This allows for quicker changing of skills which you will need to be effective. It takes a bit to get used to but it works much better. You will see what I mean in my next tip.
    You will be using FO against Act bosses. You can squeeze an extra attack with 70& FCR and 2 extra attacks with 110% FCR inbetween FO casts. FO-Lightning-FO-Lightning-FO or FO-L-L-FO-L-L-FO etc.
    If you are having troubles staying alive, try a point in ES, get more resists, or add life. Also review your techniques in how you approach and kill monsters. Learn which to be careful around.
    This build is mana intensive. Pick up greater/super mana pots on the ground to keep your belt full and lessen trips to town. Use Lightning and FO more if you need to.
    Mods that you will want to aspire to are 70%FCR, 700 life/mana, 50% resists, +10 skills. In a perfect world it would be 110% FCR, 1000 life/mana, max resists, +15 or more skills. I can't even reach that so don't worry

Merc Recommendation

You need a tank. This limits the good mercs to Act2 and Act5. While Act5 mercs are decent, you can't beat the auras that Act2 mercs give to you and your party. The best of them is Defiance or Holy Freeze.

Act 2 Defiance mercs are found in Normal and Hell modes under "Defensive". The Holy Freeze merc is in Act 2 Nightmare also under "Defensive".

Holy Freeze is better versus monsters as even Cold Immunes are frozen. Defiance is better versus act bosses.

Merc equipment should be essentially the same whether for Defiance or Holy freeze. High defense armor, high damage-decently quick weapon, plenty of life leech, max resists. Ideally it would be similiar to Reaper's Toll cryptic axe (polearm, Bonehew works good too), ethereal armor with 1200 defense or more, and Tal Rasha's Helm for more life leech. Socket them according to his needs.

Caster Items

Caster items can be invaluable but are not available to you until Nightmare mode. A complete list can be found here. This is more for people that are just starting out on the ladder or simply don't have any sorc items available. It helps by filling a void in equipment where you have to use an unrelated item with no helpful mods. If you plan on doing this be sure to keep those crappy jewels and every amethyst gem you can find for use when crafting.

Dealing with the High mana consumption of CL

Due to it's spammable nature, CL can cost a ton of mana. You can see how much it costs by multiplying it's mana cost to times cast per second.

A level slvl30 CL will cost 38 mana * 2.5/second with 110% FCR = 95 mana/second

So what can you do about it? Well mana regeneration doesn't help a 95 mana/second drain so it's almost worthless which is why I put very little, if any, in Warmth. It's best to have the highest mana pool you can get. That coupled with +Mana after kill is the best mod you can get. As well as Damage to Mana.

F) Closing Comments

This build plays very differently than a Meteorb build. You will be constantly casting and TPing. Always doing something and doing it with blazing speed. CL/FO is living life on the edge. In contrast to the Meteorb build where moving too fast can get you into trouble and slow/methodical ruled the day.

<3 CL/FO and I hope you enjoy it as well.

Borlag's addon to the original post: saved this from the forum crash just incase the original posted didn't save it.

2. ivasar

ivasar IncGamers Member

Thx for the repost... It's nice to have this here for periocically checking... :thumbsup:

3. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

going to repost ALL guides that were here, since I'm sure I have them on my internet cache files, as I compiled a list of all the guides here in these forums. At work now so the ones I've posted here, in the community forum, pally forum and the SP forum are the only ones I had on this computer.

Some of the formatting was lost as I could only copy&paste the guides, but I'm sure this is still better than not having them at all.

Hopefully some of the guide writers have them stored in word documents or something :)

4. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

Ouch! I didn't even notice that! Thanks for the repost. But thankfully I do have a backup copy that I was working on for a revision. If I could just find the time to finish it :)

5. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

reminds me to repost the lvl85 area llist. now where IS that? :D

6. x-Black_Fang-x

x-Black_Fang-x IncGamers Member

Great Guide!!! I just was wondering if anyone could tell me how much I need in dex for max block with a stormshield???? Anyoen know???
    Thanks
    BlackFang :xeek:

7. XxZeaLotxX

XxZeaLotxX IncGamers Member

Hey , Stuck

Hey Monk And da rest iv'e currently used ur strat and im on lvl 75 on uswest account *night_thief and, ur strat works fine just that i die easy and not strong agenst immunites if u could help me please reply back !! :cool:

8. redsand.

redsand. IncGamers Member

Why do you say lightning is good for remnant CIs? Does CL not handle single monsters very well?

9. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

How do you die? Elemental? Physical?

What's your life count at?

What immunities do you have problems with?

Keep in mind, the Lightning tree needs to be finished to start seeing good damage. That's the problem with finishing the cold tree first, but it's worth it because FO will get you through NM with no problems.

Stick it out till 85 and you will see a big improvement. Also keep looking for +skills items, especially for the lightning tree.

10. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

With 20 Lightning, 20 CL, 20 LM and +10 skills, Lightning doubles the damage that CL can do. Lightning is the choice for single CI monsters. But your best weapon against singles is FO.

The real power in the CL/FO build is furious skill switching. You can't do that sometimes because of the mix of immunities but most of the time, switch between FO and CL and L.

When I see a pack of monsters, I open with FO, switch to CL and cast that until only a few remain. Then I either switch back to FO or go to Lightning to finish off the remaining.

11. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

Its this

[ (Desired Chance to Block * (Level * 2)) / Shield Block ] + 15 = Dex you need to attain max block at the level calculated

[] = round up

So at level 80,

[ (75 * (80 * 2)) / 67 ] = 179.1 round up to 180

180 + 15 = 195

So 195 DEX needed at level 80 for max block with Ss.

12. Fizbanmajere

Fizbanmajere IncGamers Member

At level 80 you'll have gotten like 400 stat points right?

So, 195 to dex. And 156 or whatever to str to wear SS. (not counting a -15% req jewel, which would help some)

That only leaves like 49 stat points for Vit. Is that enough that you don't die on those hits that the shield misses? Or am i missing something here?

BTW, very nice guide, m0nk. my Chorbess :) is currently level 42, and doing awesome so far!!! woot!

13. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

Glad to help :) Don't forget about twinking. +dex items like Ravenfrost and Tals Belt can add 35 Dex right there and are also recommended items.

Ss isn't the best shield to grab max block with. Use Whistans if you want that. 70% block is still decent - and more balancing with VIT

14. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Damn... wish i say this guide earlier... I'm building a new MF sorc, and I decide to go CL/FO (my previous one, Mara_Jade lvl92 was a tri- elementalist, 1.09).

I added 10 to thunderstorm though, and i'm planning to focus on getting my Orb damage up after i maxe Chain Lightning. Think it'll work? I plan to use this sorc to run mephisto and the pit exclusively. I may not even Matriach her, ( Abuse the first kill thingy with mephisto? lol)

Planned skills are:
    Fire tree
    1 Warmth

Cold tree
    1 Ice Bolt
    1 Ice Blast
    1 Glacial Spike
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Blizzard
    20 Frozen Orb
    15 Cold Mastery

Lightning tree
    1 Charged Bolt
    1 Static field
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Energy shield
    1 Nova
    1 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    20 Lightning Mastery
    20 Thunderstorm

Total skill points 108... lol

I plan to max thunderstom last... Leveling to 90 should be no problem considering i'm planning to do pit runs, so maybe thunderstorm wont be maxed. I want a good orb, and a strong thunderstorm, because I wanna use this sorc for a litle fun PvP with my friends too... lol (This is built in SP)

I was thinking of keeping my thunderstorm at 10 (that's where it's at now) and maxing ice bolt OR cold mastery instead. Whats your take on this? which would help me more overall? PvP and PvM... lol. When PvM in later hell stages, i plan to party up with an avenger... so my killing will be slightly more dependent on my Orb. But MF runs will be done alone... lol

So far she's level 75. Doing good. in fact, i stepped into hell with 225 unused points! my highest ever record. lol. Now she's down to 140 or so. Please advise.. =D

STR=95
    VIT=145
    DEX=25
    ENG=35

Unused points = 160

Gear:
    Harlequins crest (P-Topaz)
    Skin of the Vipermagi (34% to resist)
    Tal Rasha's adjudication
    Glooms trap
    Occulus (i have a Eschuta's temper with +14% lightning, but the effects are so little. Might use a HoTO i have on my hammerdin)
    Moser's blessed circle (2 diamonds)
    Frost burn
    War travelers
    Stone of Jordan
    Dwarf star (will swap to a raven)

All stripped from my retired MF sorcie... lol

15. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

You will be dissapointed in your CL damage. Lightning is one of CLs synergies and a really good spell on its own.

With your item setup and your current skill allotment:

CL will do 5-2183

If you max Lightning, CL will do 8-3720 and Lightning will do 13-6720

Your TS at 20 with your current items will only give 1428-1909 damage. And that's only one time per second against one monster too. Sure it's decent in PvP so it's up to you if you want to go that route.

16. Fizbanmajere

Fizbanmajere IncGamers Member

Can you explain to me what the big hype on SS is, anyway? Is it just the big damage reduction or what?

And if you don't mind giving me a little advice...

This is what my end setup will be as of right now.

Shako
    Occulus
    Tal's Ammy
    Tal's armor
    Tal's belt
    2x SoJ
    Silkweaves
    magefists (might try to get some frosties)

I've got SS and whistan's. So which would you advise me to use? Is it worth using SS if i don't go for max block? Maybe like 60% or something with more VIT?

Thanks.

17. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

Well, Ss is a really good shield. Every mod is helpful in some way. In contrast to Whistans where the only useful mods pertain to blocking. But, it's a tradeoff since Ss has higher reqs.

Personally, I use an Umed Whistans as a max block sorc. I save 50 stat points from STR and Whistans also attains max block easier saving ~20 dex points. So, I save a total of 70 stat points to put into VIT which = 140 life. I also use ES.

That's a good setup you have there. You won't need Frostburns with 2x SOJ. 800 mana is comfortable for CL. You may also be a bit short on resists so grab some good resist SC. Also try to get some Lightning skill GC.

18. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Oh, i left out two cold skill charms and two lightning skill charms. =D

With my CL with 14 points now and Master maxed, i already crossed the 2K mark. Quite positive i'll hit 2.5k, maybe more. Lemme check...

TS = 1611-2116
    CL = 5-2547
    :xx:

Wish i had read this guide earlier.. lol =D

19. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

At level 80, you'll have points from 79 level-ups and 3 Lam Essen quests = 410 points. You'll likely want some +str equipment if you're going for Stormshield, but assume you don't. Your str starts at 10 so getting to 156 will take 146 points. Getting your dex to 195 (also assuming no +dex equipment) will take 170 points as your base dex is 25. That leaves 94 points for vitality, which means your vit will be 104.

Having +str and dex equipment will of course allow you to put more points in vitality - for instance IK gloves alone would give you 40 extra points to vit. But even better, +life will make a huge difference to your sorc - you can get a two whole levels' worth of vit on a single small charm of vita, and Shako apart from all the other yummy attributes will be the equivalent of 24 levels' stat points pumped into vit.

And - once again - nice guide, m0nk :)

20. aND2

aND2 IncGamers Member

Great guide, m0nk. I was planning on making an enchantress, but now I'm going to try this ;) The best part is.. I already have all of the gear needed for it :)