Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lying or withholding information to rip someone off in a trade der

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by DukeZed, Feb 8, 2004.

1. DukeZed

DukeZed IncGamers Member

Lying or withholding information to rip someone off in a trade

Have you ever come across someone you traded with where you lied* or withheld information that would help that person make a more informed/fair trade, whether it's about item trade values or usefulness of the item, just so you could get the better deal even if it was a ripoff for the other guy? Or come across someone who did it to you? Did you ever feel bad about doing this to others or annoyed with having others attempting it on you? Tell your trading stories.

*random made up example: "I trade x for an um" (fair price), "I don't have um or any high runes, I will give you shael and lem for it" (blatant lie as they got about 20 runes um and upwards), "erm I don't know, I really need that um for my crescent moon", "hey are you a noob, it is a good deal! those runes are worth loads!", erm er hmmm "erm ok", trade then keep pretending or "you noob!" or some stupid face and 'cya!'.

2. Vladicus

Vladicus IncGamers Member

I told a guy I had a 80% Verdungos once.

The trade went nowhere.

3. breez

breez IncGamers Member

Well sometimes when I'm trading some midlevel stuff and this guy has nothing even remotely useful or good for trade I ask him whether he has done Hell/NM Hellforge quests. If not, I usually say it's a deal if he trades the runedrop to the item (I will be helping the quest). Then I get ist for nord's etc.. :) I don't really feel bad because I sort of promised myself that I would trade the item for any rune dropped (be it sol or hel, the lowest of nm and hell respectively).

Apparently a lot of people never care about NM/Hell hellforge because almost always the answer to the question whether they've done it or not is "no". Maybe because they were disappointed with normal hellforge drops?

Also, I usually try to get some item for far less of it's price. Usually it ends up with "lol dude" and no trade, unless I add :) In worst cases it is "LOL" and instant quit by the other trader :p

4. ScruffyhawkIII

ScruffyhawkIII IncGamers Member

i was in a trading game one day and no one had anything of any remote value. i began trading with this one guy, he loads his end up with items like cathans ring, flawed gems, and el-tir runes. i ask him if his cathans ring is very rare and worth lots. he says "yes, its worth tons, ill trade it to you for ur shako" i ask him if hes telling the truth "yes" he says.

this went on for a few more minutes before i just left, i thought it was pretty funny

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

Grade A material.

6. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

A few weeks ago I made a game "bring hel" because I needed a hel rune for a lionheart armor. Someone gives me one for free right away, so I stay in the game to mf a bit. However, people keep joining the game, looking to unload a hel rune. At first I just told them I already got one, but then I started to mess with them.

I would offer rediculous things for the hel rune, like stormshield or tals armor.

Guy: Who needs hel?
    Guy: Who needs hel?
    Me: I do.
    Guy: Offer.
    Me: Stormshield.
    Guy: NT
    *guy has left game*

He was deluded.

Now this continued and most people were wetting themselves to get a SS for their hel. Unfortunately, Usufruct was in the game with me and we made them win a duel with him before they could trade. No one beat him, and they got so pissed off since they thought they were about to get the trade of all trades. But hey, I got to mf with 4 or so people in the game. I'm such a jerk.

7. helohi

helohi IncGamers Member

Ahahaha priceless :D

8. Rigel Kent

Rigel Kent IncGamers Member

And I thought it was bad when someone demanded P-Topazes for his El rune....

9. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

I never trade unless it's in the Marketplace, so I my answer is no I don't lie, withhold info, or try to rip someone off.

It's all electronic floatsom anyways and none of it is worth me being other than a nice guy. :thumbsup:

10. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

I just love all the peeps claiming perf gheeds or annis in the trade channels...

Tested this once w/ an item I didnt mind losing:

U said 39 gheeds? Ok.

....it was 30.

11. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Sometimes as a prank I offer a stormshield for something, and then put up a cracked buckler in the trade window. You get a lot of varied reactions. On the flip side, I also like making games called things like 20Diggler 4wf - you get a lot of varied reactions from that too - especially when they see that I am actually offering 20 digglers...

12. SnowDrake

SnowDrake IncGamers Member

I don't directly lie, but I will refrain from telling people things. For example, once I traded an Um rune for a Cham rune... (back in 1.09), the guy had just found it off hell baal too, so it was even legit (I saw it drop... so unless he swapped it for a dif cham rune which isn't very likely)

I didn't tell him the um rune was worth more, I told him that the Um rune would be a great thing to put in his herald of the zak and that I needed the cham rune. None of that is a lie, but I didn't exactly tell him that it wasn't a fair trade (but I didn't tell him it was, so I didn't lie)

Now in 1.10 I can legitly say that I don't know the trade values, because I really don't. If I *think* it may be a good trade, I'll do it and say I'm not sure of the values, and I'm not lying. It's actually happened to me here where I thought I was getting a good deal and turned out I got ripped off. Last night I traded an HoZ (near perfect ED) and a +2 heaven's light for IK Armor. I know that in 1.09 that woulda been an amazing trade (well heaven's light didn't exist, but you get the idea), but useast ladder values are a far cry from 1.09 values, so I don't know if it was a good deal. However, I think it was....

13. syphon45

syphon45 IncGamers Member

I once joined a game called "SS for Zak" or something like that, and ended up trading a personalized Hoz for a stormshield. The kid didn't even try to bargain. Guess he really needed it.

14. HimuraKenshin92

HimuraKenshin92 IncGamers Member

I would spam in the trade chat rooms "IM GIVING AWAY A FREE STORM (notice this space) SHEILD! /W ME IF U WANT!!"

i would then get bombarded with replies.

Then i would pick out the person with the stupidest name and tell him to join a game. I make it and i show him this rare Hareld sheild i found called "Storm Sheild". It had very crappy mods too. %3 fire res, +10 AR..... you get the picture. Of course this was back in 1.09.

Another interesting thing. This guy wanted that sheild and he GAVE me a white ring for it. Then 1.10 hit and that wring disappeared.

15. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

Yeah, rare items like that don't spawn often so it can be a collector's item. I keep a rare "storm shield" aegis. Someone had a rare "Eaglehorn" long battle bow too. I think there might have been other ones too.