Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lycos popup

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dirkdig, Apr 2, 2005.

1. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

Lycos popup

Is anyone else constantly seeing Lycos.la.com popping up? My friends and I keep having it popup as a new window and we think it has something to do with AOL instant messenger, but we don't know how to stop it, it's really annoying. Anyone else having this problem?

2. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Mozilla firefox. But if it's an aim problem, then you might want to un-install aim and do a scan here, then re-install aim. Use the beta test that tests for everything. Don't know if it's still up there. If not, use that and ad-aware and spybot search and destroy.

3. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Advertisers are beginning to find workarounds to popup blockers, so this could just be a case of that.

4. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

also, lycos have been known to have several spyware/adware programs. try doing a spyware scan as well.

5. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

http://isc.sans.org/presentations/dnspoisoning.php

Apparently, this lycos popup is the result of a larger problem of some DNS poisoning by malware. A lot of sites aren't even accessible anymore from my campus, such as drudgereport.com, msnbc.com, and espn.com. I'm not entirely sure what DNS poisoning means, but I think I get the general gist of what's going on. I changed my DNS so I input it manually rather than getting it from the poisoned source, hopefully that will stop it.