Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lycander's Aim Strafeazon Questions & Help Plz

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by superdude0526, Feb 13, 2004.

1. superdude0526

superdude0526 IncGamers Member

Lycander's Aim Strafeazon Questions & Help Plz

I building a strafezon and the best bow I have unfortunately is Lycander's Aim. I have 1 skill point in the pre-reqs and am maxing out Strafe. I have a rare ammy that gives +2 to passive skills and rare gloves that give +2 to passive skills.

I have 100% + pierce (wearing razortail) and Valk is at slvl 9 (with + skills). I plan on maxing FA next but should I then max cold arrow or ice arrow or just max them both? I'm just going to use Valk as a meat shield and I'm not worried if I get her to slvl 17 or not ... she's fine right now.

And the biggest question I have is can I be effective using Lycander's Aim and using FA as my killing skill? Would a longer freeze duration be better or just max out Ice Arrow and Cold Arrow and get both higher damage and longer freeze duration.

Also I have just enough strength to wear my equipment and only put 10 points into health and pouring everything else into Dex. If I never find a better bow will this still be ok? I know I will be sacrificing life but I'm willing to live with that penalty. Is there enough killing power with maxed cold tree and strafe combo? even for hell? What about solo runs or party runs? And what would be a good merc for this build, Holy Freeze or Might Merc, perhaps a defensive merc from Hell?

2. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

IMO, you should be maxing Valk before Strafe. I find that with the Mageazon I have that the Valk can't stay alive very long because she's only Slvl 7 in NM. I really regret not maxing her right away.

If you want to get FA, split 20 points between Cold and FA to get a nice rounded damage. If you have the extra points, go back and add on more points to them. It's also better to go with freeze time from items, as it stacks. Things like Eye of Etlich, Frostburns, and Raven Frost are all good choices in this capacity. As well, each affix on a cold charm, regardless of size, adds one more second. Mind you, these times are for Normal, so half them for NM and quarter them for Hell.

You are making a grave mistake only putting ten points into Vitality. What requires so much strength that you think you have to make a Glass Cannon?

As for mercs, I'd say go with either HF or Might. There's nothing worse than those cowardly CI Vampires.

3. slayer37

slayer37 IncGamers Member

Don't fret about having Lycander's Aim for a bow. Right now, I'd give my right arm for that (for my magezon). It's still a good bow regardless of build.

Max FA and CA only. IA is not worth it. If memory serves me right, it only increases cold length of FA by 2 seconds more when maxed. Definitely not worth it. If you want more freeze time, get it from gear and charms.

For a skill like FA, more +skills are better. If you are going to use FA dominantly throughout the game then I think Lycander's Aim is viable.

I've just parked my FA/strafe zon so I say your build is definitely viable for matriarch. I'd say might is best since I use a vamp build to leech back for consecutive FAs. Merc is definitely dependent on your playing style and gear.

4. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

just so you know lyc is a great bow and if upgraded its gets even better

upgraded lycanders aim:

Lycander's Aim
    Grand Matron Bow
    'Amn'
    Two-Hand Damage: 65 to 257
    (Amazon Only)
    Required Dexterity: 152
    Required Strength: 108
    Required Level: 65
    Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 90
    Fingerprint: 0xe328d474
    +20 to Energy
    +20 to Dexterity
    +20% Enhanced Defense
    +188% Enhanced Damage
    +25 to Minimum Damage
    +50 to Maximum Damage
    7% Life stolen per hit
    5% Mana stolen per hit
    +2 to Amazon Skill Levels
    Required Level +7
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    +2 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

5. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

You upgraded a 188 ed bow :( Not that it is that much damage, but a 197 adds 6 more max and 1 more min.

I personally hate FA, such a mana burner, and I wish I had gone for magic arrow instead.............

6. lone_wolf

well it was the best bow i had then. its not that bad and as i have sockeded it i need no other means to get leech :)

7. Krunch_Kidney

Krunch_Kidney IncGamers Member

amn? why? what a waste. Should've shaeled it or maybe even nef. As for the original poster, I'd keep in mind, that you'll need plenty of points in penetrate. Attack rating is a serious issue in hell. (with physical attacks)

8. lone_wolf

waste nah i have plenty of amns besides i use crafted KB gloves so no need for nef in the bow

9. Salo

Salo IncGamers Member

after testing a non upgraded lycanders i have to say its mad sucky. non upgraded.

i really am not a fan of strafezon, not as powerful as people claim.

i eventually found an eaglehorn, well, that made it easier, however, it still lacked power. I sold all the gear for mfing and such and the razor, the atmas, lycander and eagle and pimped out a skellie warrior/skellie mage necro and he ran the pit 2-3x faster at 5 levels lower.

I think a magezon might be better if you dont have stuff like powerful charms, ed jewels, res all charms and other things that make you not -30 with mediocre mf and +50 res all with hardly a drop of mf.

unimpressed :( :( :(

10. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

I am still not sure on which is better between lycanders and eagle.

On my build, I have the optimal amount of ias for lycanders, and eagle, lacking 20 ias, shoots slower. I have ended up using eagle in most cases, as it does kill faster, but, the extra skills on lycanders is nice sometimes too, and its damage is only 150 total damage.

11. Mehemnoc

Mehemnoc IncGamers Member

I would go with ice arrow first. cold arrow extends freeze time, but remember you get less bang with freeze in hell difficulty; I'd go for the damage first. You may not need to max valk, but if you want her to be a meat shield in hell, you'll have to put more than a few points into her.

I maxed strafe first (when I was still using lycanders). I consider FA secondary. It helps with crowd control, but I generally use a combination of decoy and/or slow missiles for that. I do occassionally use FA, but I find it comes in most handy with bosses and champions.

As for the bow, I like it very well, but just wish it had more damage. I haven't tried it upgraded, though, as I have the luxury of owning more powerful bows. There are so many builds I would like to try, but real life has a way of limiting my play time.

My strafezon uses a blessed aim merc (norm offensive, I believe), which seems to work very well. I use the holy freeze and might mercs with other (slower, non-bow) builds.
    Remember, you're trying to get arrows in asterisks, so high AR will help with that goal. Especially with a lower damage bow like Lycanders, more arrows on target is crucial.

12. lone_wolf

salo how did you build her???

besides a summon nevcro covers alot more ground then a zon you cant compare them.

while the necro might be safer and pretty fast the zon damages alot of monster at the same time and she can possible take down any foe she meats alone.

what was your equipment strategy and build please it would be intresting to know.