Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lvl 76 Zealot not viable for SP Hell? :-(

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by SideWinder, Apr 8, 2018.

1. SideWinder

SideWinder Diabloii.Net Member

Hi!

I've recently reinstalled D2 and started a Zealot. Got through N and NM rather smooth, found Aldur's Rhythm (http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Aldur's_Rhythm) in NM and was able to kinda rush through it. Started Baal-Running for XP before Hell and got up to Lvl75.

Yesterday I started Hell Act 1 and I'm losing SO MUCH. My 700-1100 dmg is doing absolutely nothing to anybody. It took me ages to complete the Den of Evil and there is absolutely no way I'm killing Bloodraven.

Are Zealots not viable for SP Hell? Am I doing something wrong?

Stats: 130STR, 150DEX, 200+VIT, 35EN (put nothing in energy). Skills like a Zealot with already 20 Zeal and 20 Sac and 20 Fan. I did everything according to various Zealot builds found on the internet.

My equip is possibly too low, however, I don't wanna cheat or get stuff from Open Battle.NET sources...where to find better equip then? Is it necessary to run a year for Baal until I reach LVL85 to find equip and be a viable SP Hell char?

Most guides have very awesome equip recommendations, however, they speak of rune words which I can never bulid because the runes only drop in Hell. My highest rune is a single Um rune, nothing else.

Actually I thought my weapon is not so bad, with 66-96 dmg and +50-75 lightning dmg, but it takes me a few seconds to kill a single zombie :( Also no way I'm killing a PI ghost in the mausoleum...

Any ideas or recommendations?

2. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

Can you list the equipment and full skill layout?

An option is to do some (can be several dozens) countess runs in normal and NM to get some runes for stuff like Honor, Strength, Black (runewords) that will help to at least finish hell.

As for fighting undead, try to use sanctuary aura instead of fanaticism while fighting them.

3. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

A full list of equipment (including mercenary) would be good. Do you have a might mercenary? What runes do you have? Obedience is an easy upgrade for act 2 mercenaries and will help you out. Once you've provided a full equipment list, I will try to provide a more useful insight. Good luck!

4. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

you need a better weapon. Try run nm meph for Headstriker or Butchers Pupil or Fleshrender, and get a Pul rune to upgrade it.

T72on1 likes this.
  5. SideWinder

Equip:
    Weapon - Aldur's Rhythm
    Helmet - Peasant Crown
    Armour - Crow Caw
    Shield - Rare: 130DEF, 50%BL, +46 ColdRes, +67 LightRes, +45 FireRes, +45 PoisRes , +3 to Mana, MagicDmg red. by 1
    Shoes: Rare: 29DEF, +35 ColdRes, +9 FireRes, 17% MF,
    Belt: Rare: 92DEF, +2STR, ReplLife +8, +26 FireRes,
    Gloves - Bloodfist
    Rings: Rare: +10% faster CastRate, +2mindmg, +3Energy, +24%ColdRes, +18%PoisRes

Also some charms with +3-6 colddmg and attackrate boosts, one +25% lightres, and 1 +50 poisdmg over 5 secs

===

SkillLayout: 20 Zeal, 20 Sacr, 20 Fana, about 10 in HolyShield, requirement skills, some minor points in the resistence aura

===

In regards to your rune word recommendations:
    - Honor/Strength: seems to have too less dmg compared to my aldur's rhythm?!
    - Black: i hate knockback in combination with zeal, also no life leech :(

6. SideWinder

@drmalawi: your uniques seem to have slightly better dmg than aldur's rhythm but not too much either....but of courese I will switch weapons if I find one ... are you sure, you can find them in NM meph runs?

7. drmalawi

yes you can find them there, and they offer deadly strike and other good "hidden" damage buffs plus then can be upgraded (set items can not be upgraded). Perhaps you will also find Guilliams face and Goblin toes/Gore Riders aswell :)

With the Um rune you have, you can make Duress armor.

If you use the Runeword mod that is allowed to use on this forum, you can make Lawbringer and have it on weapon switch to cast decrepefy

8. Apila

Apila Diabloii.Net Member

What's your player settings? Hell can be tough on higher settings. Um-rune can be used to make Crescent Moon or Duress-runeword; though a good base for Crescent Moon (such as Phase Blade) can't drop in Nightmare.
    What did you socket the Aldur's Rhythm with?

Consider running simple targets such as Pindleskin; he can drop quite a few useful items in Nightmare and can be reached more easily than Meph.

9. Eriklop

Eriklop Diabloii.Net Member

Black has crushing blow, in a elite base it rocks.

10. Locohead

Locohead Diabloii.Net Member

In my experience, non-caster types are always going to be really difficult in hell without high-level gear. You (meaning anyone) have a lot of requirements as a melee char:

- DPS
    - Attack rating
    - Enough Defense/CLVL/Blocking to survive standing close to enemies
    - Enough resists

Casters like sorc can ignore most or all of those with positioning, and their damage comes from skills which aren't primarily based on drop luck.

I would run convenient areas to upgrade gear, in nightmare for now. Since it's SP, if you roll a quick Durance 2 you can even just walk to meph as any char. If that's too annoying, there's always A5 Shenk + Eldritch and Pindle. Load up some form of magic find with topaz armor and/or helm and grind a bit just to get something. Shouldn't be all that long.

After that, if you get enough to survive decently in easier Hell areas, you could run L85 areas in hell, like the pit, or ancient tunnels beneath Lost City on /players 1. There almost anything in the game can drop, and you only have to deal with hell zombies and similar.

11. CrustyRusty

CrustyRusty Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with running NM meph for a while. Try to find some stuff with deadly strike, %damage reduction, and crushing blow (especially crushing blow). Keep an eye out for gore riders, string of ears, head striker, butcher's pupil, and guillaume's face (especially) and the rest of the orphan's call set. Crushing blow is extremely helpful in hell, in fact it's pretty much critical. Keep an eye out for runes you can cube to Um and make a duress in an elite base, it's a great option if you don't have a fortitude. Once you get to hell and are comfortable, try to get a good map for the countess so you can get some runes. As I said earlier, duress is awesome, but at hell countess you can make things like oath and sanctuary too. Pit runs on hell will yield some good bases eventually as well. Also, save charms that have +damage and AR as they will help to boost your zeal's physical damage. I love playing zealots and they can totally be hell viable, but you do have to grind for gear a bit.

Anyway, I would recommend gearing up at NM meph and moving on to hell countess and pits once you can. once you get some good mid tier runewords you can skate through the rest of the game no problem. Once you're moving pretty well, look into doing travincal runs on hell for some HR's if that kind of loot grinding is your thing.

sanguillen likes this.
  12. JoeBruce

JoeBruce Diabloii.Net Member

+1 for weapon upgrade. See below for a few other options.

Where you are at right now, you could shop a better weapon - although that might take a while. Try gambling for flails. If you have the ingredients you can craft magic scourges (elite base of flail) which have an automatic (small) damage boost. Any decent +ed% roll on top of that would be a vast improvement over Aldur's. I know that weapon looks cool, but it is not great in hell for a melee character. Note: you can also upgrade rare weapons, similar to unique weapon upgrade. So don't discount a good rare if it's in a normal or exceptional base.

You could also switch your skills up to a frost zealot or shockadin, stuff that Aldur's mace with Shael runes and you would probably be okay (if you're into the whole respec'ing thing).

Hit Power Weapon Recipe
    Code:
    Cube:
       Magic Normal/Exceptional/Elite Blunt Weapon (e.g. Flails)
       Tir Rune
       Perfect Sapphire
       Any Jewel
    You get (plus 4 other mods):
       + (35-60%) Enhanced Damage
       5% Chance To Cast Level 4 Frost Nova When Struck
       Attacker Takes Damage of (3-7)
    The rest of your gear doesn't look too bad. Your resists seem high, but they should be as close to max as you can get them.

13. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

14. Zenigma

Zenigma Diabloii.Net Member

Just a couple notes in addition
    You can also craft axes, albeit slightly more 'expensive' (jewel + pruby + Ort + any magic axe)
    But you get the same damage bonus, as well as life leech and life, instead of CTC frost nova and attacker takes damage.

Also know that you can not upgrade the base type of craft (you must use a scourge/berserker axe/whatever, if you want it in an elite base)

15. Shuffleblast

Shuffleblast Diabloii.Net Member

Running nm baal until some good weapon drops would be my plan. Up it to elite if you find a pul. Another option is oath with the runeword mod, if you find a mal.

Attached Files:

sanguillen likes this.
  16. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

1 Point in Sanctuary will help incredibly with undead PI's.

drmalawi likes this.
  17. drmalawi

And regular (non-PI) undeads too, since Sanctuary effectively doubles damage against undeads with 50% physical resists (sets their Physical resist to 0%)

18. SideWinder

Thanks for all your responses!

Unfortunately I didn't find any good uniques @ NM-Meph yet, however, with my runes and your suggestions I was able to build Duress for increased defense and Honor in an Axe which helped me a lot. I still need to find something to battle against physical immune monsters...any ideas in that area?

I'll put one point in Sanctuary, hope it helps against those lousy undeads.

It looks like Hell is A ****ING LOT harder than NM...

19. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Until you find a Reaper's toll for your merc, the Lawbringer runeword might be your best bet against PIs. Put it on switch and use it whenever you encounter them, and when Decrep procs, switch back to your main weapon.

sanguillen likes this.
  20. Grisu

Grisu Diabloii.Net Member

It might not be the best solution or the most mana efficient - but you could always put one point in Vengeance to deal with physical immunes. A pure physical damage build with no backup skill for a secondary kind of damage (Fire, lightning, cold, poison, magic) is really tough to navigate through Hell difficulty if you're untwinked...

Well, you could of course skip those physical immunes :rolleyes: