Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lvl 18 zealer problems

Discussion in 'PvP' started by tripax, Apr 7, 2005.

1. tripax

tripax IncGamers Member

Lvl 18 zealer problems

Hello,

I'm trying to make al lvl18 zealer-charger, based on this guide:

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=302414

I already have this stuff:

- 3 socket normal mask
    - Twitchtroe armor 60 def
    - Crown shield 4 sox 62ed, 115 ar
    - Death belt and gloves
    - Angelic jewelry
    - Cow king boots

- Superior military pick 6sox +3 ar
    - Superior military pick 15 ed
    - Clegaw's sword

- 7 x plain 15 max dmg jewels
    - 1 x 15 max dmg 13 li res
    - 1 x 15 max dmg 24 psn res
    - 10 x 15 life sc (I'm looking for more)
    - LC 38ar 8fhr
    - LC 3max dmg 17ar 5 dex

I only want to put jewels in sockets if i'm absolutely sure the item is good enough.

Here are some questions:

- Where should I put my best jewels in (the one with resist). And are resistances important? They never mention it in the guide. So I'm wondering if I'll need more jewels with resistance on it.

- Is that mask good enough to put jewels in it? What is the best helm I can get?

- Which weapon should I use?
    * Clegaw's sword (maybe to start with)
    * The mp with max dmg jewels
    * A war scepter with +3 zeal. I wonder if it will be possible to get one, or would that be very hard?

- Any other suggestions/remarks?

thx alot

2. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Resistance is not all that important. I tend to put all my dual modded jewels together, so I dont end up with a couple items with mediocre 2nd mods, I'd rather have 1 or 2 items with all good 2nd mods... But of course, that wont effect this character, only if you were to move the items to another dueler later.

Personally, I like clegs sword... since I play hardcore, the 50% DS helps kill chickeners.

Yeah, your jewels are fine.... 15 max's are plenty good, you COULD hold out for all 19/20 max jewels, but those are a pain to get, especially if you're on ladder.

Another option you might conscider is going to level 21. This will allow you to use sharp grand charms, which will make collecting all the charms easier, and will also boost your damage substantially.

(I'm actually also making a very similar dueler... level 21 charge/zeal paladin.. built like a zealot, but with 1 point in charge for movement, and for pking)

I personally feel you will want some +damage charms on a zealot, but thats just me... (hence the sharp grands)

-Matt

3. Sayton

Sayton IncGamers Member

Here are some questions:

- Where should I put my best jewels in (the one with resist). And are resistances important? They never mention it in the guide. So I'm wondering if I'll need more jewels with resistance on it.

- Is that mask good enough to put jewels in it? What is the best helm I can get?

- Which weapon should I use?
    * Clegaw's sword (maybe to start with)
    * The mp with max dmg jewels
    * A war scepter with +3 zeal. I wonder if it will be possible to get one, or would that be very hard?

- Any other suggestions/remarks?

As Matt has said, resistance isnt really too much of a problem if your dueling casters around your level, they dont tend to hurt much until you duel lld sorcys at 30. Plain 15maxers shouldnt be too hard to trade for so if your starting out i'd use plains, the great thing about LLD is you are constantly tweaking / remaking / improving and hel rune recipe is there if you find better jewels later and still want to use the same scepter/mask/armor.

As far as that mask goes its ok.. superior masks only go upto 30ish def anyway so its not gonna make too much of a notable difference. Superior Crowns can go upto 52 def but the str reqs are steeper ( 55 str ) If you get some really nice jewels id hold out for a nice superior one, but otherwise plains will do.

Clegs can be a very effective weapon even against the very elite 18 pallys, Im on East and one of my old friends uses a clegs sword to great effect reaching over 2k zeal pvm if ds hits on a nice max roll. As far as the other two weapons youve mentioned, one of those scepters would be FAR better than the military pick, same speed but with the right skills pick just isnt on the same level. So Clegs to start with, then choice of clegs or a +3 zeal scepter if you can find one.

Glad my guide is of some use :thumbsup:

Sayton

If you got any questions you can either pm me or place them here and i'll try to help

4. Rice_Farmer3

Rice_Farmer3 IncGamers Member

Yeah i hate people that run because they are losing (if its in a pubby game, those people are most likely to be way higher lvls that your LLD'er too) I apparently couldn't afford nor find ANY +15 max jewels so i got myself a nice rare maul (i even considered getting to lvl 24 for bonesnap) on the switch that does a lot of damage (at least more than my zeal wep) then charge anyone who runs. it is not only good for runners, its virtually tho only way you can do any damage to a teleporting sorc. it is very good for pk'ing runners, towners, jumpers,etc. i usually just do this to show them running is no use and i give them warnings. if they do this again, i do all the bad pk stuff on them :lol:
    yeah its a sacrifice of 2 points (1 for smite, 1 for charge) but it's way worth it if you hate runners like me. I kinda got off topic but this just came into my mind when i read Matt's quote above. also, to other experts on LLD'ing, is what i said above considered bad mannered? I only do it to people who deserve it. tell me if this is a bad thing to do.

5. Sayton

Sayton IncGamers Member

For pubby dueling having a point in charge is probably worth it, my build was for a pure zealot , melee vs melee. Alternatively you could look for a +3 charge scepter on switch to save you some skill points.

As for bad manners in duel games, if youve killed someone when they're fully equipped I never considered it worthwhile activity to kill them without it... to me it prooves nothing and only helps in emptying a duel game even quicker than usual. Just remember that duelers get reputations, people remember those that are good and those that act like jerks, too much bad manners and you'll get the wrong kind of response :lol:

6. tripax

tripax IncGamers Member

Ok guys, thx for your replies.

I traded and found some new stuff:

- A crown with 7ed (49 def).
    - A 15 max dmg jewel with 22 fire resist.

So this is what I will do. As you told me I will put my best charms in one item. I think the shield I mentioned is quite good, so I'll put my jewels with resistance in it. Up to now I have 3, one with fire, poison and lightning. I'll spare the fourth socket in the shield until I find or trade a jewel with some cold resistance.

The crown and amor will be socketed with plain 15 max dmg jewels and I'll use clegaws weapon until I find a better war scepter.

I also found a gc with 10 all res. Maybe I can use that too?

So my resistance will be:

+30 all from hell rush
    +15 all from partial death set
    +50 poison from death set
    +13 lighting from jwl in shield
    +22 fire from jwl in shield
    +24 poison from jwl in shield

Total: 119p/67f/58li/45c

All +10 if I use that gc too...

7. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

7%ed is too low to be a good shield... Also, unless its from someone you trust, you're taking a risk on a white shield... since all the level 18 paladin shields can be found in normal, a white one will not necessarily get 4 sockets.

Even if your shield does get 4, 7% ed is really too low to be conscidered too great, you should aim for 50+, the max is 65%.

Nevertheless, your paladin seems to be progressing well, best of luck :)

-Matt

8. OldMan_Quiet

OldMan_Quiet IncGamers Member

He meant that crown as an helmet.

His shield is already 4 sockets with 62(?) ed. ;)

9. tripax

tripax IncGamers Member

Indeed, I meant the Crown shield with 4 sox 62ed, 115 ar.

The crown itself was found on normal cows, so it will get 3 sockets I think...

10. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Ahh, my bad, sorry Tripax :)

-Matt