Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lvl 14 Cold Sorc - Save Pts Or No?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by TheNorthman, Jun 1, 2008.

1. TheNorthman

TheNorthman IncGamers Member

Lvl 14 Cold Sorc - Save Pts Or No?

I'm going for blizz or orb (by the way, which one's better?) and have so far spent my points like this:

Warmth - 1
    Tk - 1
    Ice Bolt - 1
    Nova - 1
    Ice Blast - 9

Should I keep pumping points into ice blast, or begin saving them for when I get blizz and eventually cold mast? If it's too soon, at which level should I begin doing this to max blizz / cold mast as quickly as possible? Thanks!

2. ale beer two

ale beer two IncGamers Member

Re: Lvl 14 Cold Sorc - Save Pts Or No?

Since you have 9 points in ice blast it pretty much confirms you are going blizzard, as ice blast is a synergy of blizzard, otherwise those 9 points are wasted in end game.

I personally prefer orb, but its your sorc, not mine. :)

Since blizz is available at lvl 24, I would stop using points around 20 ish...

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

It seems you did everything right for a blizzard sorc so far.

Put a point into frozen armor. Apart from that, you can already invest a bit into blizzard synergies and one point going into teleport+prereqs at L18. Also spare a skill point for L30, to be invested into cold mastery. After L30, spend all your skill points. Max blizzard first, then one of the synergies, then invest 1-10 into cold mastery (depends on the amount of +skills gear available... you will be about to enter hell mode then where there are monsters with high cold resistance), then max the remaining synergies. Max cold mastery last - you already invested enough for most situations.

Don't invest anything into frozen orb. It will be pointless if you have blizzard as well and you already invested a few points into a blizzard synergy. See also my posting in your thread about which is the better skill :wink3:

BTW, a pure cold sorc is either a tem player in hell mode or specialized for just a few areas. Cold mastery won't break cold immunity, so there are lots of situations which you cannot solve on your own, even with a strong merc. A cold sorc is a good choice for doing solo Mephisto, Pindleskin and Tunnel runs.

Have a look at the sorc forums for more tips.

4. TheNorthman

Dammit, so I won't be able to solo hell at all? Or just some areas?

5. TheNamelessOne

TheNamelessOne IncGamers Member

Not really any whole areas (depends what you mean by areas though), I don't I think any single elemental build can solo hell, for example blood moor zombies have cold immunity on hell so you won't me killing many of them.
    Well you could probably manage them with conviction merc, but there will be things that are too solid for only cold and your merc, with a bit of luck (and bravery) you might be able you teleport past them but you might get trapped and die...

6. TheNorthman

Damn, that doesn't sound too appealing. I shoulda made a meteorb.

7. Turbocannon

Turbocannon IncGamers Member

Avoiding immunes is like the easiest thing to do with the sorc. Of course, there might be a problem or two. My MFer Meteorb was doing act 4, Diablo, Hell, and Lord de Seis and Infector of Souls was FI/CI. What did I do? Cleared the other monsters, took my merc, got him to kill Infector, trapped Seis in a corridor so he couldn't run away and stood on the other side, and 30 super pots later he was dead as well. No problems at all. There were two other FI/CI OK's there who I parked in the Sanctuary along the way.

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I think that having to do all these things is a problem by itself. It takes too much time and that's why I'm not doing Diablo runs with my meteorb sorc. It's much more fun with a zon.

If it's just about getting the quest solved, then you are right. It can even add to the fun of it. However, a single element sorc is in a far worse situation if she's alone in the CS. The OKs are cold immune and the merc might have a different idea about who is to be killed first and what to do while being IMed.