Lv20 Corpse Explosion

kreality

Diabloii.Net Member
Lv20 Corpse Explosion

From what I read from the fishymancer guide where the gude stated I should invest 20 skills point on the Corpse Explosion.

So I just wondering...how powerful or crazy with Lv20 Corpse Explosion (+7 skills item)..Is it really as good as the fishymancer guide stated?

Scudstorm

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Lv20 Corpse Explosion

Well... Corpse explosion is basically a bomb whose damage is high but you can't control. Adding skills makes that bomb's area of effect higher. So... yeah.

solutionx

Diabloii.Net Member

Nightfish said it well: There's no better place to put those points.

CE is a very powerful spell, almost all you'll be using as a fishymancer is Amplify Damage and CE. My CE is at slvl 30, and I can quickly clearly whole rooms with it; just need one corpse.

Anthraquinone

Diabloii.Net Member

CE is the killing skill of the fishymancer. Your merc & skellies merely provide the first bodies before you can start the CE chain to kill everything on the screen and beyond.

-AnQ

Barbarrister Voldamus

Diabloii.Net Member

The only thing I would add is because CE has a dual physical/fire damage effect it is the principle method that a fishy can use to take down unbreakable physical immunes.

fistofyah

Diabloii.Net Member

The only thing I would add is because CE has a dual physical/fire damage effect it is the principle method that a fishy can use to take down unbreakable physical immunes.
not really, since Amp Damage, which is the fishy's bread & butter curse, reduces phyical resistance by 100% effectively breaking PI

Barbarrister Voldamus

Diabloii.Net Member

Like I said unbreakable. I have run into a few PI Ghosts that spawn with Stone Skin in Hell and for those even after Amp they were showing PI. But maybe I was just reading things wrong.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

not really, since Amp Damage, which is the fishy's bread & butter curse, reduces phyical resistance by 100% effectively breaking PI
Against PI's Amp works at 1/5th efficiency. So a monster needs only to attain 120% PI to be completely immune. Several combinations can be made to get to 120% PI.

Laringar

Diabloii.Net Member

Any good? Yes.

As good as maxed CE plus those same skills? Probably not.

I'm c/p'ing this from Kirbix's Summoner FAQ on GameFaqs (Gotta give proper credit), but it illustrates the point well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~Corpse Explosion~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Required Level: 6
Effect: Destroy enemy corpses to deal damage to everyone nearby

This is the single best necromancer ability in the game. Corpse explosion does
60%-100% of the health of the monster, which means that no matter how far you
are into the game, it will do massive damage. The problem lies in range- you
need lots of points to make it good.

However, despite requiring 20 points to be effective, every necro uses it;
it deals dual fire/physical damage, which means that almost no enemy is immune
to it completely, and with a couple of well-placed explosions, you can
decimate entire hordes in no time flat.

I once made the mistake of underestimating corpse explosion's range. If you
look, the difference in explosion radius between level 10 and 20 is only 3.4
yards. When you've already got 5.6 yards, that's approximately a 50% increase
in radius, FAR less than the bonuses other spells get for 10 points.

...or is it? Let's compare in terms of sheer area covered. For those of you who
are not math oriented, area of a circle is Pi (3.14) X radius squared. So with
a level 10 CE, your total area is about 99 square yards. With a level 20 CE,
it's 254 square yards, over twice as big. Suddenly we see that the increase is
much better than we had originally thought, and there's a good reason to put
all 20 points there.

No matter what your skill preference, corpse explosion can always be useful.
Some people prefer not to max it, but no good summoner goes without it.

Don't look at just the raw # given for range increase, consider what that means as far as actual area covered. And isn't killing things from even further away what this game is all about?

Starcrunch

Diabloii.Net Member

Yep, the really good thing about CE is the linear increase in radius means that the area increase geometrically with point investment. This means that each hard point invested into the skill makes the +skill gear effectively worth more than it was before the investment. Just don't push too hard on CE before your character has his gear and high level as it's a real mana hog at high skill level on a low level character.

-Starcrunch

Nightswipe

Diabloii.Net Member

Hm. I am making a poison nova with maxed synergies and some raise skeletons. I have only put 1 point into corpse explosion...
question is if I should put more into CE or add skills so I get summon resist(or more into skeleton mastery)

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member

I say max raise skeletons. It provides better (and more) skeles than mastery does. Definitely get summon resist as well. You should have so much +PnB that CE is at a decent lvl.

Borje

Banned

I loved CE on my fishymancer. It was a pretty pimped out one, with a merc using Infinity = -85% Fire res and -100% phys res from amp dmg. CE's 50/50 Fire/Phys dmg made me able to gather like sick amounts of cows, or in other areas large mobs, and just clear enitre screen with two CEs =)

Don't under estimate this skill! =)

Borje

Banned

No, it doesn't, you just need to spam it more. The problem is that its very mana intensive. Unless you have an infinity you can put an insight on your merc for the medit. aura - you wont have mana problems no more!

Remember that Amp dmg curse > infinity. If you could only have one, amp would boost your CEdmg more! Make sure all monsters on screen are cursed, shoot 3 CEs, see what happens, spam more if needed...

kreality

Diabloii.Net Member

I finally see the light about Lv20 Corpse Explosion.

I never think highly of maxing this skill but I glad that I did try to max Corpse Explosion and I pretty satisfy with the result...It easily kill alot of enemies easily without even knowing that I did killed few unique monster in my screen...

yeah...I am now officially Lv20 Corpse Explosion Fanboy !

Borje

Banned

Well, yes, you are right.. This skill is really usefull when monsters get a bit tougher. You need to get a good mana pool or Insight Merc/Iron Golem to utilize this skill fully!