Lower Kurast (LK) FAQ

jjscud

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Lower Kurast (LK) FAQ

I've seen two pictures of the bonfires/huts in different threads, and they don't really look the same. Will the superchest bonfires always have the circle of torches around it and be next to a pair of small, single entrance type huts?
Yes, that is the correct one.

Eleyb

Diabloii.Net Member

I was wondering if it's worth it to reroll LK maps to possibly get better weapon/armor racks, in attempting to build my wealth, I figure I might as well be trying to get some of the rarer socketables, good pally shields, claws, merc weps, archons, etc, so my two questions would be, is it worth it to look for a particular rack? And if so, what should I look for. I understand that item type doesn't drop EVERY time, but 10-15 runs should give you a good idea of what drops most of the time. Right now on my current map one drops mostly normal claws (I don't remember any exceptional/elite ones dropping) and the other is crappy axes most of the time.

As always, thanks in advance :D

Ipsilantee

Diabloii.Net Member

If you hit a rack as part of a run anyways, then I think it would be worth it. You can usually figure out what drops most of the time by doing 25 runs or so.

I would look for Sacred Targes, Threshers, and Class Specific Items.

I had a nice armor stand that was right near the waypoint that I hit at the very end of my runs. It dropped sacred targes maybe around 55 - 60 percent of the time and I ended up with some decent ones.

Low Key

Diabloii.Net Member

Good racks are nice, but I would consider them as an extra benefit, at best. Personally I'd just focus on the chests themselves. I certainly wouldn't reroll a great map pattern with meh racks.

Though I do lament the loss of my old LK map that had an extremely stable Sacred Targe rack. :(

Cius

Diabloii.Net Member

Racks are an added bonus. Few if any re-roll maps for specific racks. If you happen to find a non-ideal map with something great like sacred targes or guilded shields then perhaps run it a bit till you get what you are looking for. I have found some nice TC3 items as an example from my LK maps. I once had two dagger racks on the same map and have always hoped for a boots rack to find tancreds hobnails or a cap rack for the TC3 caps.

udgard

Diabloii.Net Member

Since we're talking about racks.. May I ask if the seeds used to determine what item a rack drops like in 1.07 still apply in 1.12? As in, which path you take etc changes what the rack drops? Also, does this even possibly affect superchests drops as well?

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member

XIV - Mercenary

Act 2 are the obvious choice because of the Insight runeword. I suggest the Holy Freeze aura type (Nightmare defensive). Besides providing the meditation aura from Insight, the role of the mercenary will be keeping the monsters away from you while you check your drops. Slowing them with Holy Freeze will work wonders.
Great FAQ!!!

One thing I'd like to add regarding the outfitting of the mercenary. :coffee:

Since his main role is to keep monsters away, one item to consider is the "Delirium" {LEM IST IO} runeword. It has a chance to cast Confuse and Terror, both are great crowd control spells. It is a bit expensive to put on a merc when considering the IST rune, but it shines when used. :thumbup:

VoX Dei

Diabloii.Net Member

This FAQ will come very handy once I decide to start running LK systematically :thumbup:

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

Since we're talking about racks.. May I ask if the seeds used to determine what item a rack drops like in 1.07 still apply in 1.12? As in, which path you take etc changes what the rack drops? Also, does this even possibly affect superchests drops as well?
There might be minor differences in 1.07 and 1.12 where rack-drop-consistencies are concerned, but generally the main principle is consistent.

I had an LK map that dropped Sacred Targes that I ran for ~8k runs (give or take a few thousand), and the biggest factor I noticed was the monster-spawn actually seemed to have a big effect. With a static map monsters often spawn in a consistent manner/location/pack-size from run to run - I'd often get 3-4 doomapes at one specific place, or ~8 buzzards in another, etc... and if DoomApes spawned where they normally did, I would get a Sacred Targe most of the time, but if Buzzards spawned at their usual point, I'd get something else, etc.

I don't remember the exact breakdown, but by paying attention to the spawn I could often guess what was going to drop from the rack before it even dropped. However, this wasn't absolutely consistent - a significant minority of the time (~10%) my guess was wrong.

I don't think superchest drops are affected by the same things as your rack runs, but I don't know if it's really been tested.

Callador

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice job! :thumbup:

You know, I worked on writing a LK guide last summer and I managed to write 15(!) pages of text for it. I wrote the guide with p7/p8 running being the "only" option so after the revelation of p3/p4 runes and stuff in RL I dished the project...

Now that I think of it, it shouldn't take that much effort to edit it to reflect the current LK drop status and maybe post it...

bassen

Diabloii.Net Member

@ MuddyWaters - I think an update as soon as possible would be a good idea. I'll help you out as much as I can. We shouldn't let this be unfinished :thumbup:

zerth

Diabloii.Net Member

I dug deep to find this one (ended up checking the stickies and there it was - thanks Thy).

This deserves some polishing - anyone working on it?

Any way, I wanted to contribute a video that simplifies racking a bit, for the new reader at least.

Krugar

Banned

My attention was drawn to this thread too, once zerth posted.

I'm curious too if anyone is working on it. jjscud suggestions and corrections went largely ignored. Which is a shame. At least the correction to the gross mistake concerning the laws of probabilities should be addressed.

Stryfe

Diabloii.Net Member

To be fair though MuddyWaters hasn't logged on since 30th of march.

If it's to be updated either a mod has to be coerced to edit the post with the new info (written by someone) or a new thread be posted which gives credit to Muddy, links to this thread and revises the information.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

Nice update.

The only suggestion of significance I have is that while a specific runner isn't necessary, cold-based attacks are very good for your runner since none of the monster types that spawn are cold immune to begin with (random bosses can become CI, but they're rare), and you can use the freezing/chilling/slowing to help with safety when you need it.

So if I had a Fireball sorc and a CL/FO sorc, both with 105 FCR, I'd pick the CL/FO for my runs.

Tying into this, if you don't need mana from Insight, an Act3 IronWolf (Cold) is a really good merc for helping on LK runs. He'll fire Glacial Spike and freeze monsters solid (even more effective crowd control than the HF merc), giving you time & space to grab the drops you want and teleport away before the monster thaws. Plus, you get style points for choosing a merc that's otherwise quite useless. :wink:

Edit:
And if someone wanted to build a dedicated runner (in my opinion, not a bad idea if you're looking at 10k or more runs), you could also have a link to nepeta's LK sorc guide.

Pyrohemia

Diabloii.Net Member

If you are making a dedicated LK sorc I suggest going pure lightning or pure fire instead of cold. If you have cold or are dual-element then you will be able to kill things in LK. If you are able to kill things then you will be inclined to kill things when cornered. It is much faster to be constantly moving and dodge/ignore all monsters. 200% faster cast rate and high faster hit recovery will let you get away from anything but 1-hit kills if you teleport into the middle of a pack.

In the case of my LK sorceress having more than 630 life would eliminate the 1-hit kills too :crazyeyes:

I couldn't possibly recommend any mercenary other than prayer + insight because even if you don't need the mana you will need to recover health whenever you are hit. There are only two ways to regain health that don't slow you down: prayer or replenish life and prayer + insight is way faster.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

If you are making a dedicated LK sorc I suggest going pure lightning or pure fire instead of cold. If you have cold or are dual-element then you will be able to kill things in LK. If you are able to kill things then you will be inclined to kill things when cornered. It is much faster to be constantly moving and dodge/ignore all monsters.
Depends on how fast you kill them. 30 seconds runs = 5 seconds per chest. If you take an extra 2 seconds to make the kill but don't have to skip a chest (or spend 3 seconds dodging) because of it, in my opinion you're actually saving time. Not to mention the occasional decent drop from a monster or the relief of monotony of endlessly running away.

Besides, with a cold spell you get the chilling/freezing, which means you don't have to kill anything. A lot of the time and you can still pop that chest and get out of there safely & quickly before the monster thaws (I kill occasional random bosses or the chest-blocking monsters that get in my way, but I just freeze everything else and move on). If you lack the willpower to leave a monster alive but frozen, then that's no ones fault but your own. ;)

There are only two ways to regain health that don't slow you down: prayer or replenish life and prayer + insight is way faster.
Or you could drink a red potion here or there, and pick up the occasional one that drops from the chests. The amount of time this adds to your run is basically nothing.

I use a Prayer+Insight merc too, but the Prayer aura is really the least necessary aspect. I just like being lazy, and that merc helps me do that. But that's all he does.

ProtoMagus

Diabloii.Net Member

Totally agree with Pyro and 'poops, 200% FCR/Cold skills is amazing for LK running in my experience. I was using 105 FCR for the longest time, but once I switched over it made a world of difference. Not just being out of danger so quickly, but I know it's had some impact on lower run times, and every second adds up when you're doing thousands of runs. And as for cold skills Glacial Spike is your best friend for freezing packs of monsters in your way, although I hate having to pause and attack whatsoever. Thus my trick is to teleport to one side of the hut and draw them over, TK the opposite side chest, and then repeat the process; tele to that side, draw monsters over, TK the other chest and then get the heck outta dodge. That doesn't always work as easily with fast enchanted monsters, but that's when you break out GS.