Low level twinking/fast leveling guide (modified for the SPF) der=

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Low level twinking/fast leveling guide (modified for the SPF)

INTRODUCTION: This is intended to be a guide for diablo2, patch 1.10+ for characters who wish to twink to accelerate the process of getting through normal difficulty. These players will most probably already have played through normal several times before, and be quite bored with it, perhaps even suffering from not wanting to start a new character because of a bit which isn’t as much fun as later in the game.

This guide describes my way to getting chars to slayer and up to level 40, you can use this as a template and cut out steps you might think are overkill or if it goes on to long, but the gear chosen allows me to play any of the 7 chars along till they can hold their own. I am sure for certain builds there will be much faster twinking options, but this guide covers ALL classes and ALL builds.

Level 1: The default weapons you get in d2 can kill things but NO where near the potential you can if you twink on some good stuff. The thing to look for is a good weapon with as many sockets as possible, no level requirement (duh) and required strength and dexterity a level 1 character can either hold, OR be able to hold with the use of either charms, Hel runes (-20% requirements) or –15% requirement jewels.

Before I say to much more, this is the damage of your default untwinked starting gear,
Amazon, 1-5
Assassin, 4-7
Necromancer, 2-4
Barbarian, 3-6
Paladin, 2-7
Sorceress, 1-5
Druid, 1-6

Now look down to see what I am able to give any one of those 7

Gemmed Great Maul
'HelHelHel'
Two-Hand Damage: 48 to 74
Durability: 43 of 60
Required Strength: 40
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0xb039c848
+28% Enhanced Damage
+20 poison damage over 2 seconds
Requirements -60%
150% Damage to Undead
Socketed (6: 6 used)

This uber weapon is an idea I got from RTB, his idea was to get a 15% superior great maul and socket with 6x 10% ED/-15% requirements jewels for a total of 75%ED and –90% requirements so anyone could wield it.

My own creation I wasn’t as patient in finding the uber jewels .. or base weapon, but as I found you don’t need that much more power, I am able to 1 hit kill anything in the den of evil on players 8 except corpsefire, and that is only just.

Here is an alternative I made for in 1.11. It is faster yet less damage.

Gemmed Crystal Sword
One-Hand Damage: 7 to 21
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Strength: 37
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x8513a8fd
+43% Enhanced Damage
Requirements -15%

Please note the maul is very powerful yet very slow, here are some other options. (based on 6 sockets, no level req)

Crystal sword, 43str no dex 5-15 base damage for one hand. range 2 speed 0
Great sword, 100str, 60 dex 12-20 base for one hand, 25-42 for 2 hand. Range 3. speed 10
Military pick, 49str, 33 dex, 7-11 base one hand, range 2, speed –10
War axe, 67 str, no dex, 10-18 base one hand, range 3, speed 0
Great axe, 63str no dex, 9-30 2hand damage, range 3, speed –10
Giant axe, 70 str, no dex 22-45 2hand damage, range 4, speed 10
Maul, 69str, no dex, 30-43 2hand damage, range 2, speed 10
Great maul, 99str, no dex, 38-58 2hand damange, range 3, speed 20
War staff, no str, no dex, 12-28 2hand damage, range 2, speed 20
Spetum, 54 str, 35 dex, 15-23 2hand damage, range 5, speed 0
Pike, 60str, 45 dex, 14-63 2hand damage, range 5, speed 20
Halberd, 75str, 47dex, 12-45 damage, range 5 speed 0
War Scythe, 80str, 80dex, 15-36 2hand damage, range 5, speed -10
Long Battle Bow, 40str, 50dex, 3-18 2hand damage, speed 10
Long War Bow, 50str, 65 dex, 3-23 2hand damage, speed 10
Heavy Crossbow, 60str, 40 dex, 14-26 2hand damage, speed 10

So after you select something attractive, consider what you can put in their, If you have chosen ANY weapon that has greater requirements than you have to start with and charms then look for your Hel runes and any jewels with the –15% requirements AND no level requirement on the jewel. Those jewels can also have other mods such as 5-10% enhanced damage (cinnabar). 10-20 attack rating (nickel), or some other more useless prefixes

The other good suffixes besides of freedom (-15% req) is “of envy†for 20 poison damage over 2 seconds.

You are too low level to use runes, chipped gems might help if you have a spare socket and no probs left with requirements, the emerald variety giving 9 poison damage over 3 seconds ..which is a bit **** compared to the envy jewel you could farm in the blood moor .
The ruby gives 3-4 fire damage, sapphire 1-3 cold damage and the chill, however your goal should be to annihilate rather than chill and cut away at a monster. Or topaz for 1-8 lightning damage.

Don’t bother with amethysts for the AR, you can hit fine anyway, or diamonds for the %ed to undead or the skull for a pathetic amount of leech, you aren’t going to die anyway. Just harden up and drink a pot if you need

One last thing, I suggest heavy investement in strength for the first few levels, for helping to equip even more uber gear in a few levels time. You wont need energy .. even if you are a caster, you will be an uber tank (even sorc or necro) and don’t need vit yet, and you can hit ok so screw dext for now ..

Level 2: Arctic gear. I suggest ¾ of the set, avoiding the bow as you should be able to make yourself a much more powerful weapon, besides the full set bonus is only ‘Adds 6-14 Cold Damage Over 4 Seconds
Cannot Be Frozen’ at only level 2 you just don’t need CBF yet, cold enchanted monsters are very limited .. and you will probably just 1 hit kill them .. back to the gear you WILL want, the belt, gloves and armour, which importantly gives, good defense (86 minimum), much better than you could find untwinked, 50 AR, 10 dext to help you hit things more often, 20 life to help any of those low base vita chars early on and the 40% MF might just give you a pleasant surprise every now and again which is a nice bonus. The set gives 10% IAS which (will need testing for different chars and items) but probably makes you attack faster , the other stuff like resistance is just gravy.

The belt gives you 8 boxes to carry pots with you, however BEWARE of the light gauntlets excessive 45 Strength requirement, I hope you have some +4Strength grand charms with no requirements .. of course they aren’t too hard to find, or cube to. Lastly the belt and gloves and easy to find, the quilted armour isn’t as common.

Level 3: Hsarus Boots, why? 20% faster run walk, whats the point of killing fast if it takes you ages to get where you are going, easy to find, only 30 str needed and bonus of some fire resist.

Level 6: Sigons goodness. This will be based on the weapon you choose if you are full sigon or just without the shield, obviously since I’m 2handed I’m 5/6
So what do you get?

Godly defense for such a low level, around 300 or so minimum and it scales as you grow, 10% life steal, (hopefully you have good phys damage and you will notice this), good resists, so you can keep killing fast even around spectral hit or element enchanced monsters, life, strength, AR, 30% IAS (based on partials) which helps reduce the slow speeds, attacker takes damage of 20 so those things hitting you while you attack others are getting a beating, 50% MF and some scaling AR .. and its DIRT cheap to find anywhere.

Level 7: Nagelring(s) easy to find, the +AR probably helps you for those moments when you wish you had more as you are pumping strength, the MF is a nice bonus and MDR reduced is cool.

Level 9: I do a weapon upgrade here, new modifiers on jewels are available, my own is this beast.

Gemmed Great Maul
Two-Hand Damage: 66 to 112
Durability: 37 of 60
Required Strength: 84
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0x3b81be1
+3 to Dexterity
+66% Enhanced Damage
+24 to Attack Rating
+3 to Minimum Damage
+16 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +6%
Requirements -15%
150% Damage to Undead

For comparison here is my 1.11 version trying a different weapon

Gemmed War Axe
One-Hand Damage: 16 to 65
Durability: 13 of 26
Required Strength: 67
Required Level: 9
Axe Class - Normal Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x76db4d4f
+30% Enhanced Damage
+3 to Minimum Damage
+42 to Maximum Damage

Jewel options avaible now include higher %ed, +min and + max, also don’t forget any –req jewels or Hel runes if still needed. The requirements on this maul are over twice my first one and I had the –15%req on a rare jewel .. don’t forget to look at those.

Level 12: Angelic Jewelry great for scaling + AR to keep you attacking and killing at great speed. I go for 2 rings and the ammy. This is the jewelry I will wear till the end of normal. The rings are dirt cheap to find as 30% of green rings are angelic, the ammy isn’t too hard once u get a few green ammys dropping. Also partial set bonus of +10 dext to help. And 115 extra life (20 ring x 2 and 75 ammy). Normally you kill faster than things can hurt you, except occasions like the act II tombs with a tonne of those LE beetles when you hit lots at a time you need quite a bit of life ..

Level 15: a very important, and VERY easy thing to find .. ARROWS .. but why, because you can use one of these

Raven Claw
Long Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 5 to 17
Required Dexterity: 19
Required Strength: 22
Required Level: 15
Bow Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x100d484f
+3 to Strength
+3 to Dexterity
+70% Enhanced Damage
50% Bonus to Attack Rating
Fires Explosive Arrows

Note the version is pre 1.10, 1.09 actually where it has the high level Explosive arrow. EG:Slvl 30 Explosive arrows = 259 - 301 fire dmg
The key is the huge level of the explosive arrows, so if you are a zon just use normal attack, the 50% bonus to AR plus angelic goodness means you hit lots, you hit hard and you will level insanely fast, you basically can kill everything you see and run at the same time note the phys dmg component is low but will be worked on soon. Also if you want you can socket the bow with something, perhaps a flawless gem, or a low level rune, nef for knockback? Or a lowish level jewel not suitable for something else. If you do put something in its pretty much just gravy as the bow itself is just MAD.

Also Long bows are easy to find, even if you don’t have one, you could make a .09 install and if you started untwinked it wouldn’t’ take you long to hunt one down .. but you will probably want more than 1 as you read down ..

Level 18: certain +max damage jewels are options now, I would recommend socketing your hat and body armour with these so when you hit something its got a good chance of feeling the pain. Jewels at this point get up to 20 maximum damage.

ALL normal body armours have no level requirement, ring mail, breast plate, light plate get 3 sockets max, however the ring mail is classed as “medium†weight, the other 2 are “light†this affects your walking speed and or stamina. I believe. Unless you are uberly poor don’t even think of socketing nice jewels in an armour that could get only 2 sockets, a 3 socket armour would be a good step up, but ideally you would want a 4 socket which have 3 varieties, gothic plate, full plate mail and ancient armour, the full plate mail is “heavy†while the other 2 are “medium†weight, also their strength requirements are 70, 80 and 100 respectively, I hope you have invested in strength and or use +str charms as needed. Personally I used an ancient armour, only because it was the only 4 socket armour I could find when I made my gear .. it works very well and I have NO trouble getting any of the 7 char types to get 100 strength by level 18.

Gemmed Ancient Armor
Defense: 222
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Strength: 100
Required Level: 18
Item Level: 61
Fingerprint: 0xaaef623d
+43 to Attack Rating
+54 to Maximum Damage
Socketed (4: 4 used)

One jewel in their had the +43 AR.

Hats either get 2 or 3 sockets max, don’t bother with a 2 variety though, that leaves, great helm, mask or crown, all no level requirements, and 63, 23 and 55 strength requirements respectively. Notice the highest str requirement is under the lowest of the 4 socket body armours.

This is my own helm.

Gemmed Superior Great Helm
Defense: 41
Durability: 45 of 46
Required Strength: 63
Required Level: 18
Item Level: 41
Fingerprint: 0xd3abd96a
+14% Enhanced Defense
+38 to Maximum Damage
Increase Maximum Durability 14%
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Of course the superior prefix means it’s a bit more expensive to repair, I don’t need that extra defense or durability.

Level 20: Sanders boots, the first of the 40% faster Run walk boots, the extra 100AR, 10 dext and 5 strength are great helps too.

Level 29: whats better than a .09 raven claw in .10? a shaeled .09 raven claw in .10

You may gain a frame or 2 of extra speed depending on your build.
For individual char info put your own details in here

I deleted a link you probably don’t want to see that might get me in trouble here, just look at the table below RTB made to see how much IAS will be good for you

Amazon Barbarian Assassin/Druid/Paladin
IAS Fpa IAS Fpa IAS Fpa
0% 13 0% 14 0% 15
9% 12 9% 13 9% 14
20% 11 19% 12 18% 13
37% 10 32% 11 30% 12
63% 9 54% 10 48% 11
105% 8 86% 9 75% 10
200% 7 152% 8 125% 9

Necromancer Sorceress
IAS Fpa IAS Fpa
0% 17 0% 16
8% 16 8% 15
15% 15 16% 14
26% 14 27% 13
39% 13 42% 12
58% 12 65% 11
86% 11 102% 10
138% 10 174% 9

Level 31: This is based on me wanting a ravenclaw and to be able to at this point attack lots faster so I can level up faster and just get to whatever level you want to either finish normal or just change to your “actual questing gear based on the real buildâ€

Gemmed Superior Full Plate Mail
Defense: 174
Durability: 77 of 78
Required Strength: 80
Required Level: 31
Item Level: 90
Fingerprint: 0x5ea27173
+8% Enhanced Defense
Poison Resist +5%
Increase Maximum Durability 12%
60% Increased Attack Speed
Socketed (4: 4 used)

“of fervour†jewels open up at level 31, at this point you could have multiple sources of IAS and since there are many options I cant list them all, but just know this is where you can socket these bad boys. Options are up to 60IAS armour, 45 IAS helm, 45 IAS shield (if you have no raven claw or you are a wuss) or of course 60 IAS pally shield if you are a wuss playing a pally. Not that I have anything against them.

Since the aim of this guide is to build gear to help ALL 7 char types I think a 60 armour is a good way of not excluding any options.

Please note I only made a 60ias armour, and have not done a hat variety, personally I keep my +max hat on to help against any high fire resistance or immune creatures.

At level 31 there are lots of other potential mods besides of fervour, pick wisely based on what you have, by this point of the game I am in act 5 and leveling up, and because of that fast leveling is most important hence the IAS.

That is the end of my gear, I end act 1 around 18, act 2 around 24, act 3 around 25, don’t care for act 4, make sure I’m 37 before the ancients, then hit slayer, level to 40 and move the twinking gear to the next char. I’ve personally used this gear on all 7 char types for quite a while now so I know it works well, any comments you can write to me at [email protected]

Alternate ideas that were thrown around at another place, IK glove, boots, belt open up in level 29-31 (but need lots of str), Bonesnap at 24 and Steeldriver at 29 are always solid hurty sticks.

One thing I definitely overlooked was hardout twinking on a merc. Personally I don’t like the mercs you can get in normal and they have a hard time staying alive or keeping up with me .. have fun out there.
Tim

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I usually use Khalim's Will from level 1, also Death gloves + belt. I don't bother to equip some socketed weapon with uber jewels, just Ravenclaw at lvl 15.
Vidala's Fetlock for faster FRW and great stamina bonus. Later replaced by Sander's Riprap.
I use Twiththroe from lvl 14, that gives me 20%IAS.

SHAEL in Ravenclaw is not a best thing for me, because I have only one 1.09 Ravenclaw and Shael has required level 29!

nebux

Diabloii.Net Member
i use on mine chars this maul

Gemmed Great Maul

Durability: 24 of 60
Required Strength: 10
Item Level: 73
Fingerprint: 0xe8afae04
Requirements -90%
150% Damage to Undead

and death gloves + belt at lvl 6.
at lvl 11 i put cathan seal ring
vl 13 replace the maul with this

Steel
Giant Axe
'TirEl'
Two-Hand Damage: 29 to 57
Durability: 44 of 50
Required Strength: 70
Required Level: 13
Axe Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 36
Fingerprint: 0x581265f5
+20% Enhanced Damage
+50 to Attack Rating
+3 to Minimum Damage
+3 to Maximum Damage
+1 to Light Radius
25% Increased Attack Speed
50% Chance of Open Wounds
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Socketed (2: 2 used)

lvl 15 manald + eye of eyelich + tarnhelm
lvl 16 twitchthroe

then i'm done until lvl 25 when i have a caster i put a spirit crystal sword sigon shield and a 4 P Saphires armor until my merc can equip a Insight polearm then i rush all to normal kill baal p8 all the way single pass twinking on lvl up.

if caster i don't do baal runs but i go to P8 NM and so on until hell

Kefir-Tribe

Diabloii.Net Member
Interesting guide. Does Raven Claw really kill that fast after level 20? I think the real pain in getting through normal is level 22 - 35 (especially 22 - 25, before you can gain xp in act 5).

XDoomasX

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice guide:thumbsup:

This is my precious:

Bonesnap
Maul
Two-Hand Damage: 178 to 254
Durability: 31 of 31
Required Strength: 59
Required Level: 24
Item Level: 40
Fingerprint: 0x27f9720f
+297% Enhanced Damage
Fire Resist +30%
Cold Resist +30%
200% Damage to Undead
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Timinator

Diabloii.Net Member
Kefir-Tribe said:
Interesting guide. Does Raven Claw really kill that fast after level 20? I think the real pain in getting through normal is level 22 - 35 (especially 22 - 25, before you can gain xp in act 5).

most definately, for example i'm usually level 20 around dry hills or so, i can get a whole level easy in the maggot place, you have to kill things and it takes 2 seconds to fire a couple of extra arrows to clear the passage, tals tombs are REALLY cool for exp, just run into the middle of a really crowded room, aim for any horadrim and eventually the arrows will get through and knock them down. rooms FULL of scarabs are great fun .. just maybe drink a pot or 2 at the same time :p i finish act 2 at 24 easy, 25 isn't hard

it should be noted level 25 is where the experience formulas switch over from the depending how many levels different the monsters are to just exp *your level / monster level i think.

if you stay on P8 all the way 35 wont be hard .. personally I HATE the jungle, so get to 25 then slam to p1 until act 5 (the original EXP haven)

just remember to shoot EVERY boss pack and minion, and i had a pally today got to act 5 normal at level 26, i run to the first wp, change to p8, then i do eldritch runs to 31, then i put on p1 run to open up pindy, back to p8 to do a combo of eldritch/pindy and i get the 6 levels from 31-37 in maybe 30mins? not sure exactly its pretty quick :p

i always take ancients at at least 37 to not waste any EXP, also ANYONE who has forced themselves to go slow through act 5 on p8 knows you will level lots and the claw still carves up well. just make sure you have some phys dmg in either a merc or dmg jewels for the few fire immunes like the grand vizer and the first boss pack in baals minions.

one last thought, the raven claw is really the type of weapon where you have to see it to believe it

Cenerae

Diabloii.Net Member
you keep mentioning the 1.09 version....so I have to ask, how useful is a 1.11b ravenclaw?

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Cenerae said:
you keep mentioning the 1.09 version....so I have to ask, how useful is a 1.11b ravenclaw?
1.09 Ravenclaw fires lvl 30 explosive arrows. 1.11 ravenclaw lvl1 (or 5?) - so it's useless unless it's enchanted...

Cenerae

Diabloii.Net Member
Not much good to me, then...seeing as I don't see the point in reinstalling/patching to 1.09 just for one broken item

NeoKnuckles

Diabloii.Net Member
OK, so other than 1.09 Ravenclaw (I'm too lazy to reinstall as well), what good low level bows are there? Just +damage socketed bows? Should I just melee with zons until I get decent?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Timinator said:
These players will most probably already have played through normal several times before...
Check.

Timinator said:
...and be quite bored with it,
Not really. Playing tournaments and wacky characters keeps the early game fresh. Going untwinked means you can find end-game worthy charms already in the Blood Moor. Also, trying to squeeze out as much MF on the gear as early as possible is a fun challenge (gogo, chipped topazes en masse!).

Timinator said:
perhaps even suffering from not wanting to start a new character because of a bit which isn’t as much fun as later in the game.
Certainly NOT! I love the early game and I start too many characters anyway...

So this guide isn´t for me. I knew that. I am just curious as to why this "boredom" thing has never reached me? Is it because I´m weird or is it the result of my playstyle? Or both...

inanefedaykin

Diabloii.Net Member
Normal has very few monsters and most of them are normal guys. Not like hell, in hell you're running into a boss pack every 3 feet.

Most people find the challange enjoyable.

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member
In act1 I use jewels of envy (poison) instead +max/% damage & -req's. With a crystal sword it's easier to meet my str/dex requirements without "wasting" a slot or three on Hel runes:

8-9 jewels in armor, helm, and shield = a ton of poison damage so you can just tap something and run away. I need 6 more jewels because I'm also using a 6 socket crystal sword with chipped emeralds, atm. This much poison damage allows 1-hit kills on almost everything until the inner cloister (on /players8).

Notably it is less effective in Act2 because several monsters have decent poison resist. Usually my melee chars switch to a full death's set at this point (keep the +poison armor/helm/shield), or I begin my caster off with some PSkulls armor/helm, manald heals, Wall of the Eyeless, Maelstrom, +mana charms.

I don't have a 1.09 Ravenclaw, or Khalim's Will, because those seem a little cheesy to me. If you don't mind though, 'fill your boots' - as they say back home.

Also, I don't remember you mentioning:
- the unique chain boots (Treads of Cthon) at level 15. IMO, the boots are better than Sigon's boots, even when combined with the set bonuses. 30% FR/W and you'll never run out of stamina again.
- and Eye of Elitch amulet at level 15. Unless you've got a great rare ammy that works specifically for your build, you really can't beat this all-purpose, early-game ammy.

Finally, for the first 14 levels I use a magic amulet with +life regeneration. It's not that useful after you get life-leech, but it helps make up for the fact that I'm stingy with potions.

Regarding mercs: a 3 socked hunters bow /w flawed topaz will let a rogue merc 2-hit kill almost everything in act1. If there's 10-15 monsters swarming you, you'll notice a slight difference in killing speed, otherwise I agree that mercs aren't particularily helpful early game. If I'm playing a melee char I'll switch over to a defensive A2 merc for the rest of normal - you'll notice an improvement on how often you get hit (and the less time you're in hit recovery means the more time that you're attacking).

Great guide, it's nice to learn someone else's play/twink style.

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
So this guide isn´t for me. I knew that. I am just curious as to why this "boredom" thing has never reached me? Is it because I´m weird or is it the result of my playstyle? Or both...
Different playstyle, I think. Maybe you don't have as many chars as some of us. Dunno.

Personally I can related to the boredom thing a bit, maybe even the "don't wanna start new char cause of normal" part. It's just that normal holds no challenge. I've done it with an untwinked zerker using nothing but warcry to kill from lvl 30 on because he just couldn't get his hands on a weapon with more than 10 avg damage. It just drags on forever. Still, unless I go afk he won't die. I find little fun in this. Basically the scene is the same in normal, nm and hell and what I want to know is whether or not my latest idea can cut it in hell. I'm quite sure that no matter how retarded it is, it will be able to beat normal because a barefisted char can do that. That's why I try to skip through norm and nm as fast as possible too. I twink less, though, and usually start using my chars skills around lvl 24-26 instead of raven claw.

Shagsbeard

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd put forth a motion not to have this thread devolve into a us vs. them debate like so many other recent threads have.

This is clearly a guide for those who enjoy twinking, so if you want to make comments on untwinked play, start up a new guide to complement it.

I personally think this is a waste of brain cells since optimizing something for which even a distant approximation to it yeilds little better in results is futile. I'm kind of surprized the guide didn't focus more on how to avoid as much as possible, rather than how to kill stuff most efficiently. There's got to be tips on speeding your way through the first few acts.

First tip I would do... don't play on /players 8. You waste time looking through stuff for the odd goodie and you don't need the experience, as you will recoup the loss by playing Act V in /players 8.

Second tip: Don't change gear so much. That takes far more time than playing with slightly sub-ultimate gear. The quest for ultimate gear is fun, but the micromanagement of it once you have it is not.

Third tip: Don't do all the quests or try to find all the way points. Skip any that you don't need to do, though you should rescue Cain. Even the Imbue quest is pretty much worthless for those players who have stuff like this. I typically only have four way points in Act II: Town, Far Oaisis, Arcanne Sancuary and the Canyon of the Magi. None of the others are even worth clicking.

Peppe

Diabloii.Net Member
1-24 gear: Sigons set, angelic rings/ammy, Khalim's Will.
On players 8 i sually start act 3 around 18. I tend to drop the players setting for maggot layer and tomb. Depending on the char's skills i will sometimes get a merc to help keep the heat off.
To get from 18-24, i don't have the best method. Khalim's will slows down quite a bit at this point, but usually i just grab a heavy hitting weapon and a cold mage from act 3 and go to it on players 8 again. Typically its not too bad, and hitting the dungeons in kuraast will get a the levels quick. The cold merc makes things so easy, requires no equipment to stay alive, and can actually kill some things.
Depending on the build i'm trying i will either help it out more from 24 on (rush/charms) to get through normal or usually an endgame skill can start to be used, so the items and twinking become less needed.

I remember one time through with a zon i was level 24 and didn't have great bow/skills to kill Diablo, so i grabbed a bonesnap off a mule and killed him in a few swings and a lot of panic'd running arounf with that. Then i liked it so much i used it for a few more levels ;)

Untwinked i have to agree with some of the posts above. A rogue merc with a bow full of chippies will help you get through Act 1-2.

ok it's Gear show off, here is my 1337 hammer, too bad I didnt managed to find enough good jewela to get a perfect one but this will do

Gemmed Great Maul
Two-Hand Damage: 53 to 82
Durability: 51 of 60
Required Strength: 10
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0x54d39ed3
+42% Enhanced Damage
Requirements -90%
150% Damage to Undead

DX

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Shagsbeard said:
I'd put forth a motion not to have this thread devolve into a us vs. them debate like so many other recent threads have.
I will just say one more thing to NF then I will shut up. :wink3:

Shagsbeard said:
This is clearly a guide for those who enjoy twinking, so if you want to make comments on untwinked play, start up a new guide to complement it.
I have actually been thinking about that. I need to decide on how extensive I want to make it, though.

Nightfish said:
It's just that normal holds no challenge. I've done it with an untwinked zerker using nothing but warcry to kill from lvl 30 on because he just couldn't get his hands on a weapon with more than 10 avg damage. It just drags on forever. Still, unless I go afk he won't die. I find little fun in this. Basically the scene is the same in normal, nm and hell and what I want to know is whether or not my latest idea can cut it in hell. I'm quite sure that no matter how retarded it is, it will be able to beat normal because a barefisted char can do that. That's why I try to skip through norm and nm as fast as possible too.
While it is true that Normal holds no challenge as far as survival goes, I enjoy trying to reach as far as I can, item wise, on each of the early stages of the game. You can find some really nice stuff in the late parts of Normal (Skystrike, Shael runes, etc.) and some of the classical MF pieces can be found early on.

Keep in mind my 'one-pass-only' way of playing. You have told me that the times you have played untwinked (quite a while ago) with a 'somewhat item dependant' character, you tend to stop by and do some 'item find' runs along the way (usually NM Mephisto). In that case, or when you twink, I can understand that you only need to get your character forward in the game, and to an approprite experience level. The challenge for survival with a reasonably strong character is low up to Hell, and your character doesn´t need the wealth or the drop chances up to that point.

My situation is different, by my own choice. The item pool I can choose from comes from what drops during my one pass through the game, and from what I can gamble, buy, reroll, imbue and craft using the (limited but generous) wealth I collect. Therefore, the early game is not just a "transport" to more challenging stages, it´s a scavenging hunt for useful items and wealth.
My best option is (obviously) to try to squeeze out every possible resource from every area I play in the game (in a manner that doesn´t get my character killed). That in itself is a challenge I enjoy a lot.

You say: "I have this (hopefully fun and unusual) character idea. Can it cut it in Hell?"

I say: "I have this (hopefully fun and unusual) character. How far will he/she make it in the game, given my playstyle, on this try?"

I think that sums up our main difference pretty well.

BTW 1: When you have experienced the gameplay in Hell with a certain character build (and made Guardian, hopefully), you are pretty much done with that build. I can play the exact same character build I have tried before and have a very different experience/difficulty, depending on the items I get and the monsters I encounter. Talk about replayability.

BTW 2: about that barb that had trouble finding a damaging weapon. Three words: Savage polearm recipe...