Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

low level dueler suggestions

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by bigballerpaul, Oct 23, 2006.

1. bigballerpaul

bigballerpaul IncGamers Member

low level dueler suggestions

I am in the process of making a low level dueling zon that will utilize the Edge runeword. The char will be finished at level 25 and will have the perks of being rushed at least through Nightmare. The gear I was going with is as follows:

Weapon: Edge runeword Gothic bow/Double Bow*
    Belt: Death's Guard sash
    Gloves: Death's Hand
    Boots: Sigons
    Helm: Sigons (socketed with Ort)
    Angelic Amulet, Rings, Armor (haven't decided on what to socket armor with yet)

*I will have the Gothic bow to use for more damage and the double bow to use for more speed. The runeword plus the 30%ias that I will get from the Death's set items will achieve 3fpa with the gothic bow and 2fpa with the double bow if I use Strafe.

I will be using as many +5 dex/str large charms as I can and put the rest into vitality.

This build will give resists of 75/75/65/75 (assuming I do Normal and Nightmare Anya quests), with great attack rating and speed.

The thing I haven't decided yet is the placement of skills. If I get rushed throught Nightmare, I will have 32 skill points to place at level 25. If I continue on and get rushed throught Hell, I will have 36 ( assuming I do all of the skill quests in each act). I would like to use Strafe as my main attack skill because of the speed. The problem with this is at level 25, Strafe can only be at lvl 2. While this won't offer much of a damage bonus, I think I can use this as an advantage -- put more points in passive skills. I will probably put 10 in critical strike and 8 into penetrate. I will also probably put at least a point into slow missle. I may put one point into Decoy just for a quick diverson. The rest of the points I am debating about. I really am inexperienced with the Amazon class and with their Passive skill tree. I am considering dodge, evade, and aviod but am not sure the best to use for PvP. Another option could be to put them in an elemental arrow skill. I will have a mere 5 points left over if I get rushed through Nightmare, but 9 if I get through hell.

I would like some information on these skill issues if anyone has any experience and also any pitfalls I might face against other low level dueling characters.

As always, thanks for the comments in advance!

2. Yossarian

Yossarian IncGamers Member

A few thoughts

I think your bow and armor are both way wrong. AS are your rings and ammy unless it's for the life boost.

The bow needs to be 4 sockets as does the armor. Both should be loaded with +15 max damage jewels. You also want +10 max charms (lv 24 req).

You also won't be using strafe ever. You use guided arrow. So you don't need AR.

3. bigballerpaul

bigballerpaul IncGamers Member

I was thinking about going for that. Just using a jeweled bow, but finding/trading for the jewels is going to take a while and I am impatient. The bow doesn't offer that great of damage, but I can make up for that with some charms. The armor with the other set items will give good bonuses (+150 defense, +1 skills, fire res, AR, dex, mana and life bonuses). I know I could just use guided arrow and not have to worry about AR, but that would just be cheap and easy. I was going for a speed build as opposed to a mass damage build. It may be impractible, but it won't be boring.

I really just wanted some information about the passive skills: evade, dodge, and avoid.

4. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Your Zon will be dead before you can get off your first Strafe... and it will be a lvl 9 that kills her.

You MUST do all skill/stat/resist quests.

You are still considered a low level dueler until lvl 29.

Strafe is useless, in combo with D/A/E it can be deadly. Use GA if you must have a bow, it is anything but cheap and easy.

A couple of weeks ago my lvl 9 Jabber went toe to toe with a lvl 35 GA Zon and it was a total stalemate. Neither of us could take more than 10% off the other. In the same game a lvl 78 Pala took three hits to kill my friend's lvl 15 Barb.

My highest kills are a 73 Necro and a 41 Trapsin. I would also have a 58 Pala if he didn't chicken at 1/4 life.

A lvl 9 can wear Ancient Armour and that has far more defence than what you plan at lvl 25.

Damage is god. Speed comes later. You could be the fastest Zon in existence but if you don't do the damage you will never win a duel and will certainly never be able to kill anyone higher than you. My lvl 9 is doing around 170-200 damage Jab atm and I don't have all her gear yet.

Go check out the PvP Forum, there's good info there (iirc a Bowazon of any kind is considered one of the worst possible builds for lld).

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Since none of the bow skills really give much damage at low levels, you pretty much have to rely on dex to boost your damage.

Strafe will not work in PvP, period. Nobody worth dueling is going to be dumb enough to run straight at a Strafing Bowazon.

If speed is what you're after, try this:

'Zephyr' Edge or Double Bow
    Twitchthroe
    Death's gloves+sash

This gives you 75%IAS and still leaves 4 sockets for max dmg jewels between the mask and armor (a pretty good balance of speed and damage, I think... plus you won't have to trade for so many jewels).

5 stat large charms are crap at that level. Get enough str for gear, leave vit at base, and pump the rest into dex. You should rely on your charms for life; even a crappy +10 life small charm is equivalent to 3.33 stat points per inventory square, while a 5 stat large is only 2.5 per square. You can get as high as 15 life per square, which is twice as good per square as a 5 stat large.

Angelic jewelery is just fine to use for the life and dex bonus. Try to get Cow King boots if you can; they're perfect for this build. Otherwise, Sander's are easier to get and will give you some much needed stat points and run speed.

6. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

I'm not a big fan of bowazon LLDers either to be honest with you... I made one on hcl last season, hoping to find some upside to what I knew would be an underpowered build... I didnt. I retired her after about a week, her life and damage were way too low, despite pretty decent gear (carnages/sharps with some smalls of sus thrown in there) Her advantage did indeed lie with her speed, and the fact that I used a riphook for its slow. (again, hcl.. slow is a lot more acceptable than your stringent scl rules). Speaking from experience, its a pretty fun build, you'll get some kills if you can use speed and range to your advantage, but its enough of a glass cannon you'll end up losing more than you win.

7. ubermoose

ubermoose IncGamers Member

Pretty much standard lvl 29 bowzon gear [europe at least] :

5socket ashwood bow with 4 shaels and a max dmg jewel
    50-60 life artisans light plate with 3 max dmg jewels
    rare circlet with life/ +1 ama/30frw and a max dmg jewel or 2 OR peasant crown with a max dmg jewel
    bloodfists
    rare stat rings
    rare stat/skill amu
    sanders boots. Some prefer cow kings or rares but i think the extra 10frw is more than worth any mods you might be giving up
    rare harpoon [eth-repair if you can find one] and artisans kite with max jewels on switch

inv of life/dmg scs [for the rich] or just life or just stat charms

Not so sure about stating or skilling it though. Both pure dex and pure vit have thier upsides, however because of your relativly low damage, dex wont be adding lots of dmg per point like you see on high lvl bowzons.

8. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Forgot to mention skills.

Critical Strike is where most of your damage output comes from, so getting that somewhere in the slvl 12-16 range wouldn't be a terrible idea. No need for Penetrate, Pierce, or the left side of the passives tree.

After that, I'd start maxing Guided to lower the mana cost.

9. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

on east lld is up to and including 30. i think that default for that level is an upped rogues bow. 30% ds, 50% ias.

well made 18 bow zons are able to do well so i hear...i have yet to duel one.

Edit: i just remembered i have dueled one with my 18 zealot. it's the reason i remade him with charge. without charge i had no chance. with it i had a chance at least.

10. Moritz

Moritz IncGamers Member

hi alex :)

i have such a zon @ lvl29 in euscnl...

my stats are 928 life dexonly, 85frw, 900jab dmg with 55ias bp, 80-900 ga dmg 8fps 59%crit, 330mana, about 500 all resi in nm.

you can pm me if you wona see her.

11. ubermoose

ubermoose IncGamers Member

hi mate,

500 all res in nm = gosu :p

12. oiTart

oiTart IncGamers Member

Re: low level dueler suggestions

Although one user had a decent build/setup. I have another

Weps
    3 skill w/ed ashwood - socketed with 2 shael and 3 maxers
    Up'd rouges bow - nef'd for knockback. The 30% deadly strike adds to your crit strike. So if you have 59% critical, you will have 89% critical with this bow.
    Eth harpoons w/ repair- A definate must. Ctc amp will work wonders if you can get it.
    Generals (yes the slow flail) - For those who like to bm. Casting just a few ga's then switching to generals before they hit...will pass off the slow. Same works for the ctc amp with java's.

Armor
    Artisans Light/mage plate of the squid (Get as close to 80 life as possible for this is the cap of the lvl 30 req) soc with 3 maxers
    Having a twitch with a maxer is a nice switch (I use twitch with ash, and lifer armor with rouge's)

Belt
    Death's sash is a must! (you'll find that being frozen = instant death)

Gloves
    It is nice to have both death gloves and bloodfist. Depending on what bow you use. (Keep in mind 63 ias is needed to hit bp with ash bow)

Boots
    sander's is a must (the extra ar is nice for the jab switch)

Helm
    Even though we all aren't rich to have a 2 passive 30 frw rare circ soc. with 2 maxers...Peasant crown with a high maxer can work just as well.

Jewelry
    Ammy - 2 passive or 1 zon (ctc hydra is sexy for zvz) Mana, life and resists bonuses a plus. (Having a frw ammy with life and stats is always nice.)
    Rings - Life, rep life, resists, ar and MANA The one thing you'll realize is how much mana you will use in duels. Sojs, you think they'd work wonders, but in fact you recieve 50 mana per soj. And with ga at 5 mana per arrow...that won't last long. My zon currently has a 107 ar, 20 life, 5 rep life, 86 mana, 2 dmg reduce ring Which will blow an soj out of the ballpark.

Resists
    Unless you do anya's, your resists will be ****. But keep in mind the anya bug. You die once...you have to rejoin. When you die...all the resists you get from anya are gone. It'll say you have them, but it's a glitch in the game.

Stats
    str- enough to wear gear
    dex- everything else
    vit- none or about 40 If you can't afford max/lifer scs, You will want to bring up your zon's life to mid 600's
    energy- none

charms
    The obvious... 3/xx/15s
    The cheapman's way max gcs with 15 lifer scs
    DO NOT use str charms. Putting those 2-6 str you get from charms into vita does not compare to the life you lose of replacing those life charms. Lifer scs are vital to your survival. If you intend on using any stat, make it dex. with max ga and high dmg ash bow/lifer armor you get around 2-2.5 max dmg per 1 dex

And most of all skills
    Maxing ga is a must
    Strafe = worthless
    A couple into multi is nice for the zvz. also for the runners everyone hates. (Keep in mind spamming more than 3 multi's is considered bm)
    You want mid-high 50's in the crit strike so about 10-12
    1 into penetrate (ar for the jab is well-needed)
    1 into dodge, evade, avoid (a couple extra in evade and avoid is nice.)
    1 into jab
    Getting decoy or valk is totally of to you. Some people prefer it...I don't.

One tip when dueling...is that you are constantly moving. When you are not shooting arrows, your shield should be out at all times. If you have ctc amp javas, once you spam a few ga's, your shield should be out almost instantly to hope you get that cast. Amp is almost always a win.

That's about it. Hope it helps

13. crawlingdeadman

you have no idea what you're talking about. ds does not add directly to cs. this leads me to believe the rest of your post is wrong too...

14. Queen Mebd

Queen Mebd IncGamers Member

Well that and the thread's from 2006; gogo thread necromancy, it's a bowazon's toughest opponent.

15. crawlingdeadman

ha! didnt even notice that. thought it was the one from a week ago or so...