low dex amazon

KoalaBearThirtyThree

Diabloii.Net Member
Update... long post coming up.. hope you guys don't mind :) Feel free to chip in with your opinions... and to correct my mistakes and assumptions...

Ok... I levelled up my bowazon a bit more (yes I have no life :( )... she's in act1/hell and around clvl 50... some thoughts...

The amazon has basically become the Paladin of pre-expansion. What I mean by that is that she is probably one of the toughest to play (unless you go cookie-cutter javazon) and this has opened up a lot of choices, decisions, and strategies. Paladins faced a similar situation a long time ago, before Blessed Hammer became powerful. It sucks in some sense (she's very weak) but it's more strategic and challenging.

SECONDARY ATTACK

You know you really need a secondary attack when you can't even get past the Den of Evil in hell LOL :) What's this? I'm a cold-only sorc now? ;) Time to make a decision. Lightning Fury looks obvious but I crunched some numbers. Here are my choices:

I'll do some rough calculations over 10 seconds (this should roughly capture the time delay of immolaiton arrow but this is not 100% accurate since there may be delays between attacks). All the numbers are rough and I'm not picking the ideal case (eg. weapon speed is just 2 attacks/sec even though it can be higher/lower with IAS combinations). I'm also ignoring synergy (there's like slvl 1 exploding arrow synergy to immo; lightning bolt synergy to lightning fury; etc). I'm ignoring the stacked firewall damage of immolation arrow. That is, since firewall lasts 3 seconds but you fire only once every second, you can have up to 3 firewalls (it's basically 1 firewall in 1st second then 2 in 2nd second then 3 in 3rd second, then 3 in 4th, 3 in 5th, etc). Finally there may be strategic advantages of using one over the other that I'm totally ignoring. For example, you can use a shield with LF; timing the immolation arrow so you fire exactly every second may be difficult; etc. I'm assuming you have enough mana to fire for 10 seconds (requires around 400 mana (20/attck * 2attack/sec*10 sec)).

All numbers are average damage.

(i) slvl 20 immolation arrow: 365 dmg (1 sec delay) + 120/sec = 365*10sec +120* 10sec= 4850 dmg in 10 sec

(ii) slvl 20 exploding arrow: 140/sec = 140*2 attack/sec * 10sec =1400 dmg in 10 sec

(iii) slvl 20 Lightning Fury: 291/sec = 291*2 attack/sec*10s= 5810 dmg in 10 sec

(iv) slvl 20 Plague Javelin: 1913 dmg in 10 sec (but prevents monster healing)

Based on these rough numbers, Lighting Fury is the best choice. Immolation arrow probably does similar damage if you count the stacked firewall and can time it so that you fire exactly every second. I also threw in plague javelin for refrence and as a weak but easy to use option.

norvi11erogers said LF is the best choice and that's the best path it looks like. Lightning Fury it is...

MANA

I dug through all my chars and found some +40mana rare rings. They are not great. I was hoping to get 15%+ resists on them but oh well. My total mana now (clvl 50ish) is around 300. Have to drink mana potions like crazy but it's ok. I have around 100 unallocated attribute points so I'm wondering whether I should put them in energy or use something like frostburns. Wearing frostburns will give me 120 mana and get me closer to my goal of around 400 mana. But doing so will mean that I can't get IAS (or possibly resists) from the glove. Here are my choices:

(i) Frostburns: around +120 mana and +0.5sec cold duration in hell
(ii) sigon glove (plus helm): 30IAS (and 500+ AR with helm; 10% life leech too but taht's useless for this set up)
(iii) rare glove: 10IAS and hopefully dual 10%+ resists

Sigon or Frostburns require an extra 20 in strength but that isn't that big of a deal (that's like +60 life or +25 mana). Since I have low health and high mana, those numbers are almost negligible (60 life isn ot going to stop me from dying and 25 mana is nothing next to 400).

I think I'm going to go with frostburns.

SPEED & ATTACK RATING

Most people would probably look at speed over mana but I really think I need 400+ mana to fire continuously (recklessly? ;) ). With speed, the breakpoints I need are: 10IAS, 20IAS or 40IAS. Each breakpoint gives roughly 15% more damage. I really want 10IAS but would prefer 20IAS. Choices:

(i) goldwrap only: 10IAS
(ii) twitchthroe only: 20IAS

Speed is more complicated than it seems because these items mean sacrificing AR (for example, if I wear goldwrap then using 2 set items (like hsaru belt+boot) is not possible). I'm still not sure what my % to hit is going to be. Right now in act1/hell, it's around 50% (AR of probably 1500) so I assume it will drop to 40% by act4.

One question for you guys is: if I do 15% more damage (by firing faster), is that the same as having 15% more % to hit? Does that conceptually make sense?

I think I'm going to go with twitch and see how AR works out...

KoalaBearThirtyThree

Diabloii.Net Member
If one of you guys are "rich" ;) you should try this char with an aim of +skills. Something like 2 SOJs, tarnhelm, +2 amulet (have to give up Eye of Etlich though), Silks, etc may do noticeably more damage (at the expense of resists and AR).

norvi11erogers

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, so far so good. One thing is that you might be a little bit low level to accel in hell. Monster levels are high, meaning your to hit % will be sort of low.

re your question: not sure what you mean by having 15% more to hit. Do you mean, if you had 50% to hit, this would increase it to 65? Or, are you saying 15% of 50%, or that your to hit would increase to 57.5%?

Let's say you increase your to hit by x so that your new tohit, h' = x+h, where h is the old to hit. (this is the case of the former). Neglect bow damage. Then, to hit only affects pierce: realpierce % = pierce%*tohit% = ph. Call the old to hit h, so that You can pierce up to 4 times (i believe, it might be 5).

Hittable monsters:
1. Then increased to hit has no effect.
2. On average, the number of explosions will be:
=1+h'*p=1+(h+x)*p
The old damage was 1+h*p. The difference in damage will be
=x*p
divide this by 1+h*p to get the % increase.
3. On average, the number of explosions will be:
=1+h'*p + (h'*p)^2
increase in damage will be
=1+x*p + 2hxp^2 + x^2*p^2
and so on.

So no, it's not exactly the same. Now, I think it's fair to say that in most situations, you only have the chance to pierce 2 or 3 times. Consider the case of 2, and consider x=.15, h=.50, p = .67.

Then the increase for 2 is = .15*.67/(1+.5*.67) = .075

The increase for 3 is = =(0.15*0.67+2*0.15*0.5*0.67^2+0.15^2*0.67^2)/(1+0.5*0.67+0.5^2*0.67^2) =0.123

I'm too lazy to do those for higher, but it's easier to just use the formula for geometric series:
[ph'-(ph')^n]/(1-ph') - [ph-(ph)^n]/(1-ph)
divided by the second term to get the percentage. n is the number of monsters you can hit.

Sorry for all that. short answer is no, not the same. Also, you should err on going faster than doing more damage.

KoalaBearThirtyThree

Diabloii.Net Member
My question is actually simple. Basically, can I assume that 10% to hit (an actual 10% to hit increase (not 10% on top of existing % to hit)) is equivalent to firing 10% faster or doing 10% more damage?

Let's say I attack 2 attacks/second. If I go to 2.2 attacks/sec that's like 10% increase in speed so technically you will fire 10% more arrows...

Let's say my % to hit is 50% and I increase it to 60%. I will hit more monsters...

Or let's say my damage is 100 and it goes up to 110. That's 10% increase in damage....

Would all these three situations yield the similar results over time? I'm not necessarily thinking of the frost maiden and instead am speaking in general for any char (or at least a bowazon in general). Even in the case of freezing arrow, which would be the best: 10% increase in speed, damage, or absolute 10% increase in % to hit?

One might think that splash damage which always hits makes speed important but is that so? How about if damage is increased 10%?

Some of what I'm asking is just for curiousity sake but some of it is to decide if I should change some stuff with my bowazon. In particular, would roughly 10% or 15% increase in damage (from +skills items eg. tarnhelm) be better?

norvi11erogers said:
Ok, so far so good. One thing is that you might be a little bit low level to accel in hell. Monster levels are high, meaning your to hit % will be sort of low.
I mostly stuck around in act1/hell so it wasn't that bad. I probably cleared the full jail several times in parties (used to skip to catacombs 2 before so it was fun to meet monsters I haven't fought in a while eg. boneash). I also wanted to get to hell quickly because I wanted to test if I had enough mana, health, resists, etc. I played quite a bit over the weekend (long weekend here) and am something like 67 now and in act2/hell, almost ready to go to act3.

So far, the % to hit hasn't been a problem. I think I'm at something like 50% to hit skeletons in act2, and this is with low dex and without specialized equipment (although I did try to get high AR rings with +mana).

I haven't found pierce to be as important yet. This is probably because I don't line up the monsters. Maybe when I hit act4, I'll have to rely on pierce due to higher monster HP but we'll see...

I have basicall spent all my skills points... 20 FA/10 cold arrow/20 LF/6 valkyrie/5 pierce... rest going into cold arrow...

I have like 200 unallocated attribute points so I need to do something. I am basically playing with base life (around 200 health). I probably die more than I ever have with my strafer but it's playable. One thing though is that, any hit is literally a death. Even if I don't die with a hit, it puts me into hit recovery and I'm toast. The biggest surprise is how mana is not really a problem (I have around 500 with frostburns). I think I'll put around 100 points into vitality (that's like 300 health if I remember) to take my total life to 500. That's leave me with around 100 points for energy (that's like 150 mana--doesn't look big but frostburns will multiply that a bit).

For what it's worth, my resists are all negative (close to -40 I think). Slow Missiles is one of the best skills the amazon has. I never realized how powerful this skill was. I guess one only realizes its power with low health and horrible resists. I'm sure most of you experts use Slow Missiles but those that haven't tried it should make it part of their regular skills (just 1 point is good enough)...

Oh BTW... Lightning Fury rocks.... Due to store vendors not re-stocking the low dex javelins, I had to increase dex to 65 with equipment (still contemplating whether I should raise dex to 65 without equip because when I die, my naked amazon can use javelins that way). I maxed it and it is viable as a strong backup skill (it probably does even more damage than FA but FA obviously has defensive freezing feature). It will probably become somewhat weak by act4/hell but it should still be enough to take out cold immunes. Thanks for leading me in this direction. I think if I didn't have this discussion with you, I would have probably gone with immolation arrow. In hindsight, immolation arrow would have been a horrible mistake.

KoalaBearThirtyThree

Diabloii.Net Member
Akukami said:
You probably know this by now, but added Dex = more damage. Just my .02.

- Akukami
Yeah... but this is a special build that does not rely on physical damage at all. I'm actually using wizendraw unique bow which has very low physical dmg...

On another note, once I'm done with this bowazon, I'm thinking of pure melee using fend or impale. I know everyone says it sucks but is there a way to make it work? Any thoughts on that? Pre-expansion, these skills weren't given much thought to but it looks like the numbers were changed in the last few patches (?). Is impale still super-slow or is it ok now?

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
Akukami said:
You probably know this by now, but added Dex = more damage. Just my .02.

- Akukami
it has been a neat break/diversion to try Fred's glass cannon build with that 123 poison dmg bow... mid lvl 60s, and hell csing. not doing much killing in the hell cs, and I actually spend more time testing the waters of hell flayer, but an interesting build. requires a bit more patience, and "off screen killing" than I normally would get involved with, and obviously, flayer is a lil easier if I self chant using the laptop.

since I had the str anyway, for giggles, I tossed the gskin on in lieu of the rcage for a cs run or 3, and had the lvl 9x guys snickering, but it did make it somewhat easier to survive.

so far, still on target with fred's build. 95 base str, the rest into dex. this my in fact be one of the first or second characters that I have built according to any specific guide, "to the tee" - the only thing I'm missing for now, is a higher dmg gothic bow...

Sebbie

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a level 66 strafer in hell act 4. A glass canon just like you. She dies all the time. I hoped she would be able to handle act 4 hell single and it's a total mess. Could not get to izzy in 3 attempts.

For instance one Burning souls attack and she is fried. I don't think playing with her resists would help that much. See the life total is just too low. Another problem is flesh spawners. Flesh spawner cause huge amount of problems to zealots and it just gets worst for the strafer as she deals even less damage. She basicly can't handle the flood of spawned creature. Sometime she can kill them but it will take just too much time. Mass damage would be better here. Perhaps a fire/ice bowazon would be better. Don't even wanna hear about a ice bowazon with lightning fury... Unless they implement the W key in classic that is just too much hassle!

Here is what I can say to someone who would like to try it out:
Poison damage is mandatory. You deal very little damage so monster will heal between each arrow unless you poison them (or open wound / bow with prevent monster heal if it exists).
Highest Monster flee possible and Penetrate is needed. In alot of maps monster will come from all sides and unless you send them running each time you aim at them they will kill you in 2 to 3 shots. I use Face of horror and Cage with all dex and level 20 penetrate. Face helps you alot to lift gothic bow too.
You are totally dependant on your valk. She is your life bulb
Prepare to go gather your corpse often as a burst of lagg means that you just died
Don't even try this build if you are not seeking challenging (and frustrating) gameplay because it's the only thing that the strafer has in store for you!

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
Sebbie said:
I have a level 66 strafer in hell act 4. A glass canon just like you. She dies all the time. I hoped she would be able to handle act 4 hell single and it's a total mess. Could not get to izzy in 3 attempts.

For instance one Burning souls attack and she is fried. I don't think playing with her resists would help that much. See the life total is just too low. Another problem is flesh spawners. Flesh spawner cause huge amount of problems to zealots and it just gets worst for the strafer as she deals even less damage. She basicly can't handle the flood of spawned creature. Sometime she can kill them but it will take just too much time. Mass damage would be better here. Perhaps a fire/ice bowazon would be better. Don't even wanna hear about a ice bowazon with lightning fury... Unless they implement the W key in classic that is just too much hassle!

Here is what I can say to someone who would like to try it out:
Poison damage is mandatory. You deal very little damage so monster will heal between each arrow unless you poison them (or open wound / bow with prevent monster heal if it exists).
Highest Monster flee possible and Penetrate is needed. In alot of maps monster will come from all sides and unless you send them running each time you aim at them they will kill you in 2 to 3 shots. I use Face of horror and Cage with all dex and level 20 penetrate. Face helps you alot to lift gothic bow too.
You are totally dependant on your valk. She is your life bulb
Prepare to go gather your corpse often as a burst of lagg means that you just died
Don't even try this build if you are not seeking challenging (and frustrating) gameplay because it's the only thing that the strafer has in store for you!
in my opinion, hell act 4 is good for only one thing. partied CSing. the number of physical, and elemental immunes and the sheer number of mobbing style monsters overwhelm just about most chars in the mid 60s lvl.

I've done so/so in flayer jungle, and reaped quite a bit of xp, but it requires much more thought in how one attacks/navigates, and I still die pretty frequently. Cast the Valk at the edge of the screen, and literally fire away in that direction. Most of any success I have in this regard, is with having monsters die off screen, not sure if that dramatically impacts the xp I get.

I plan on tossing Gskin on for some partied CS runs this weekend to see if I can get into the 70s, at which point I'm hoping I'll be then able to do Flayer a bit more successfully with rcage, and without a 1100 dmg chant boosting my regular damage.

I'm hoping, that evne with this not as valuable bow (123 dmg, with 50 psn) that I can still use her successfully enough to get her at least on the bottom of the ladder. I have a 148 gothic bow on non ladder, muled, waiting for her if/when ladder resets. *Shrug*

Akukami

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't know if many of you recall this, but Fred did make that Glass Cannon Bowa, and took her up to the mid 80s. From what I can remember, during CS runs, he did a lot more dodging of attacks than he did trying to help kill the baddies in CS. In short, that kind of Zon is really not meant for Hell CSing, and you'd actually be better off with Flayer runs. However, you'd still need a decent Chant to be able to kill stuff quickly.

- Akukami

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
My StrafeZon does quite nicely in Hell CS. Her Valk takes all the heat though. The valk prolly does most of the killing aswell. ;)

Seriously though, with CB and a descent damage bow she can hold her own. Since there are usually smelladins around with a conc aura, the damage is also quite acceptable. Without that boost she can still kill though. So, get up and make yourself a Ballista Blaster. :)

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
Akukami said:
I don't know if many of you recall this, but Fred did make that Glass Cannon Bowa, and took her up to the mid 80s. From what I can remember, during CS runs, he did a lot more dodging of attacks than he did trying to help kill the baddies in CS. In short, that kind of Zon is really not meant for Hell CSing, and you'd actually be better off with Flayer runs. However, you'd still need a decent Chant to be able to kill stuff quickly.

- Akukami
I do recall that. :) he also had a higher dmg bow than what I'm working with :p

he may have also applied his skills in a different order than I am. My valk is still lvl 1, as I have been concentrating on the other, killing skills (and surviving skills like dodge, etc) in flayer, that valk doesn't last very long.

re: cs runs... I may toss not only the gskin on, but also a p diamond shield, and just run around, since most of the lvl 9x's can kill/wipe out an entire cs run in 45-90 seconds depending on if the party moves as a mob, or splits up :) that being said, they probably don't want the baggage, since I'm not BO-ing, cursing, or teleporting/popping seals. tis no wonder that so few zons are on the ladder.

seems like most zons these days are java, used for mfing cows, and/or mld using farcast hacks...

Sebbie

Diabloii.Net Member
goomba said:
I may toss not only the gskin on, but also a p diamond shield, and just run around,
I mean at that point why even botter to level her up at all... Is it just to say I have a level 80 bowazon? I for one enjoy the game and to me to run around while others do all the work and level me up that sounds stupid. That's not playing the game at all. Not like you are gonna go duel with her afterword once she levelled up. Strafer are only "good" for pvm.

And with a all dex zon you need a high level valk. It's so important. You have no hp she needs to tank for you while you rinse behind her. Putting points in dodge, evade and avoid will mostly only help the zon since she is the one tanking.

I have the following skills at level 66:
strafe 20
penetrate 20
pierce 1
dodge 3
avoid 3
critical 5
valk 15

The valk will die at a mini boss under heavy swarming. She dies slowly so the problem is not there. I wear a +1 amulet and my bow could be better but it would not change the fact that she doesn't kill fast enough and that she handles flesh spawners very very poorly. Burning souls simply totally owns her.

And yes I do know how to play a bowazon. I mostly brought her there alone so I know the tricks of how to peek with a decoy, recast the valk when needed etc... Even when you play tight and slowly crap will happen. That is me being honest. I'd like to say it again crap will happen. That's why I recommand maximum monster flee. I use goblin toe too but I might test without it to see if it's that useful.

That being said flayer jungle is ok for this character. The reason is simple the monsters have less hp...

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
Sebbie said:
I mean at that point why even botter to level her up at all... Is it just to say I have a level 80 bowazon? I for one enjoy the game and to me to run around while others do all the work and level me up that sounds stupid. That's not playing the game at all. Not like you are gonna go duel with her afterword once she levelled up. Strafer are only "good" for pvm.

And with a all dex zon you need a high level valk. It's so important. You have no hp she needs to tank for you while you rinse behind her. Putting points in dodge, evade and avoid will mostly only help the zon since she is the one tanking.

I have the following skills at level 66:
strafe 20
penetrate 20
pierce 1
dodge 3
avoid 3
critical 5
valk 15

The valk will die at a mini boss under heavy swarming. She dies slowly so the problem is not there. I wear a +1 amulet and my bow could be better but it would not change the fact that she doesn't kill fast enough and that she handles flesh spawners very very poorly. Burning souls simply totally owns her.

And yes I do know how to play a bowazon. I mostly brought her there alone so I know the tricks of how to peek with a decoy, recast the valk when needed etc... Even when you play tight and slowly crap will happen. That is me being honest. I'd like to say it again crap will happen. That's why I recommand maximum monster flee. I use goblin toe too but I might test without it to see if it's that useful.

That being said flayer jungle is ok for this character. The reason is simple the monsters have less hp...
the point would be to get another quick 7 or 8 lvls to get the valk a few levels higher. (as well as that much more in dex) I have a plus one priz zon ammy, but so far, have found that adhering to the gear that Fred originally suggested, with one exception, using a dual leach ring, with a minor amount of rez on it as happenstance...

also, as I mentioned, if/when ladder resets, and if it goes as previous ladders have, then I have a 148 gothic with better mods, waiting for me on non ladder in a mule.

she's an experiment, as such, I typically prefer to see rapid results on, than to labor super intensively. It has also taught me a bit about my game play, and generally, I am much more aggressive in pvm, than this char can currently handle.

as an abject lesson in patience during gameplay, it alone may have proven useful...

to reiterate the gear from fred's build

angellic ammy + ring
deaths gloves and sash
howltusk
rcage
gtoes.

the other ring is dual leach, with some inconsequential rez

I don't recall my exact skill allocations currently, but at lvl 62, I have nearly 11k AR, and am doing roughly an indicated LCS 500/arrow damage w/out a chant. obviously, at this point, the limiting factor is my valk being only lvl 1...

literally 30 minutes of leaching in a coordinated cs run would allow me to correct that by easily getting to lvl 70 and having a lvl 9 valk (or buffing her before casting with a zon ammy - does that work like BO? )

KoalaBearThirtyThree

Diabloii.Net Member
goomba said:
seems like most zons these days are java, used for mfing cows, and/or mld using farcast hacks...
I'm not an expert by any means (only played two amazons post-expansion) and my opinion is that strafers are probably not viable. I know Warlock above says he has one in Chaos Sanc but I think he has a bodly ballista (right?). Even then, I really wonder how quickly he can kill monsters (I'm not really sure if his comment about the valkyrie doing more damage is a joke or not). I personally think strafers are almost useless. I see some doing well but that's only when you have a paladin aura (like fanat or conc). Having said that, freezing arrow, used by my present amazon, seems to work so far (act2/hell). I'm curious to see how ti stacks up in act4.

A lot of people don't play classic so there aren't many games in hell difficulty but the ones I have played in rarely have a bowazon past act2/hell. I see some who have rushed (I can't believe rushing is so popular now--it wasn't this bad pre-expansion for whatever reason) but they really can't survive. All amazons past act3 are pretty much javazons in my experience....

goomba

Diabloii.Net Member
KoalaBearThirtyThree said:
I'm not an expert by any means (only played two amazons post-expansion) and my opinion is that strafers are probably not viable. I know Warlock above says he has one in Chaos Sanc but I think he has a bodly ballista (right?). Even then, I really wonder how quickly he can kill monsters (I'm not really sure if his comment about the valkyrie doing more damage is a joke or not). I personally think strafers are almost useless. I see some doing well but that's only when you have a paladin aura (like fanat or conc). Having said that, freezing arrow, used by my present amazon, seems to work so far (act2/hell). I'm curious to see how ti stacks up in act4.

A lot of people don't play classic so there aren't many games in hell difficulty but the ones I have played in rarely have a bowazon past act2/hell. I see some who have rushed (I can't believe rushing is so popular now--it wasn't this bad pre-expansion for whatever reason) but they really can't survive. All amazons past act3 are pretty much javazons in my experience....
east ladder has/had quite a few classic games on during eastern std time evenings, quite a few more than non ladder actually.

now that school is back in session so to speak, it obviously impacts the number of games. generally, during weeknights, from dinner time to about 10:00 I can find plenty of games to flayer in. that being said, the cs games are definately growing somewhat fewer, with the few good ones getting jammed up, filled up, and people premaking BS, which in turn means that one has to hang out in one of the channels, and/or cs with clans via their channels. weekends game populations are generally up, especially if the weather sucks.

that all being said, this is one of the reasons I went forward with this, and the hybrid orber experiement. both were easy enough to lvl and/or MF in nm games for a while.

doing so, I usually run into one, or two people that play/interact with some maturity, and end up with another person or two to consider tossing on the /f list...

the rushing has gotten popular, in part because the game is so cheap, and people have 2nd/3rd PCs lying around, laptops, and/or are experimenting with proggies that I probably cant mention (is loader a bannable word?), and thus it becomes easier to mule, self rush, and/or not only rush pals, but hell rush mules for example. hell capable mules are pretty handy, instead of asking someone to join a norm game to make a trade...

this all being said. I found it fun to level first, then rush the last two experiments. (and one of most fun ways to lvl was to raid, but not quest norm games, and then eventually nm games)

KoalaBearThirtyThree

Diabloii.Net Member
goomba said:
east ladder has/had quite a few classic games on during eastern std time evenings, quite a few more than non ladder actually.

now that school is back in session so to speak, it obviously impacts the number of games. generally, during weeknights, from dinner time to about 10:00 I can find plenty of games to flayer in. that being said, the cs games are definately growing somewhat fewer, with the few good ones getting jammed up, filled up, and people premaking BS, which in turn means that one has to hang out in one of the channels, and/or cs with clans via their channels. weekends game populations are generally up, especially if the weather sucks.
I'm on USEast but there aren't enough games. It's so bad at times that you end up with high levels constantly coming into low level games, killing diablo and ruining the lower act games. But, as you point out, it's not that bad during prime evenings and weekends. There are a ton of games in nightmare and normal difficulties though...

the rushing has gotten popular, in part because the game is so cheap, and people have 2nd/3rd PCs lying around, laptops, and/or are experimenting with proggies that I probably cant mention (is loader a bannable word?), and thus it becomes easier to mule, self rush, and/or not only rush pals, but hell rush mules for example. hell capable mules are pretty handy, instead of asking someone to join a norm game to make a trade...
It's interesting though... when I was playing a lot many years ago (pre-expansion), very few people rushed. I guess you always had the power players who tried ot maximize levelling in a given amount of time so that's sort of like now. But now you have newbies asking for a rush, which I find bizarre because levelling is more important than getting to higher acts... I guess what you said (multiple laptops, more hacks (although now there is less duping and PKing it looks like), etc) probably help a lot.

fledgeling

Diabloii.Net Member
I have never had a bow amazon (apart from an unfinished one)
but I wonder if boneflesh wouldnt be better than rattlecage?

WarlockCC

Diablo Classic Moderator
I don't think boneflesh would be better for a strafer. Since, with a strafer, you should be hitting a lot of times per second, not really giving the bleeding time to "do it's dirty work". In those cases, rattle would be better. Especially if you don't do enough damage to kill them yet, just get them to run away. When you do get enough damage to actually kill, that running mod can be very annoying.
Although one could consider it for CS. All the monsters cept the bosses(and Oblivions) will run. And since only those monsters are 'important'.

yes, my level 80 ballista zon is Hell CS viable. She can do that on her own, with her level 20 valk (and her 20 Decoy=much more life on the valk).
The valk has about 500 Str and a exceptional weapon(Lance) so the valk does pack a serious punch. It is in fact the only way the valk dies... to our good friend IM.

The Ballista has 184ed, 13 max, 127ar, 4 ml, 17 dex and full reqs(80 dex 110 str). The damage is 93 - 169.
I'll make a screeny of her if I remember to do so, and put it up on the gallery they have here. ( http://diabloii.net/gallery/ )
Still, it takes her 3 Volleys to kill a Venom Lord in a 8 Player game, so she doesn't have hammerdin-speed killing, but it is quite do-able.

KoalaBearThirtyThree

Diabloii.Net Member
WarlockCC said:
Still, it takes her 3 Volleys to kill a Venom Lord in a 8 Player game, so she doesn't have hammerdin-speed killing, but it is quite do-able.
Hey, anything less than 15 shots to kill a monster is good in my books ;) That's probably how slow my failed strafer is in act3/hell. I'm actually surprised that she is that good. Do you think it is pimarily due to the weapon? Can you see yourself being viable if you had a decent but not great bow (say a 110 dmg gothic or something)? Three shots to kill is actually amazing for a ranged attacker. Even a typical WW barb seems to take a few whirls to kill anything in Chaos Sanc (I should note that these are typical barbs and not necessarily the best or anything).