Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Low-budget MF and cast rate?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by BipolarTemp, Mar 31, 2005.

1. BipolarTemp

BipolarTemp IncGamers Member

Low-budget MF and cast rate?

Well I've decided I'm tired of being relatively poor (especially after my Witchy died :mad: ) so I think I'm going to break down and build.....an MF Sorceress! Since, as you can most likely infer, I am hardcore, I was thinking something similar to a PvP build: an ES Orber. I haven't played many sorceresses in 1.10 (nothing past 30, at least) but I like Orb for it's wide range and relatively safety, not to mention only requiring 60 skill points to fully empower. The ES is mostly because I'm hardcore so would like the added protection. Of course, I'd also like to maintain 105% FCR so I can have a healthy teleporting experience during MF runs.

My question is this: how can I get decent MF and still keep that cast rate? I don't know a lot about Sorceress equipment but Occy, Skullder's, and Tarnhelm (assuming they can be had for pgems - please correct me if I'm wrong) only give the 30 FCR on Occy. I guessed around 180% MF, which is a decent amount, I suppose, but where can I get the rest of the cast rate I need? I only see the 30% on Occy. If I used 10% FCR jewelry and Magefists (though Frostburns or Bloodfist would be nice), I still only have 60%. Another 20% from Lidless (if I could get it) would put me at 80% and then I'm stumped. Where can I get more FCR?

*sigh* So many items, so few body parts.

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

You could ditch the Skullders and get a Vipermagi....with a good MF switch you should still have very decent MF...Spirit runeword would be a very good solution, but it's rather heavy in a monarch:( and the block is poor...easy to make though. You can also craft a caster amulet which can give up to 20% FCR but good luck getting that with +2 sorceress skills:( I don't think 105% FCR is essential...Especially when your only/main attack is Frozen Orb, but I also play single player where you can save a really good map...I really think you should get rid of Skullders and use Vipermagi instead...then get a Gull/Ali Baba + Rhyme shield on switch...

3. BipolarTemp

Yeah, I just checked out the price guide and it values Skullder's around Mal. I read a post recently about getting Skullder's and Occy for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-18 pgems, but I guess that isn't the case in hardcore - Occy itself is an Um. But Gull is only a Fal, so I can probably swing that with enough gems. That plus a Rhyme would do well enough with a ptopaz Viper and Tarnhelm. I'd still really like to have that 105% FCR breakpoint so I can be sure I teleport successfully. It's not worth the risk without it, IMHO.

Here are my options, as I see them:

Viper (30)
    Lidless (20)
    Wizardspike (50)
    One FCR ring (10)
    That's a total of 110, which is plenty. The advantages are the ability to use Frostburns. The disadvantages are the price of Lidless/Wizardspike and no blocking.

Viper (30)
    Magefist (20)
    Spirit (assuming 25 out of spite)
    3x FCR jewelry (30)
    That's 105. Advantages are having a shield with some blocking and not having to buy Wizardspike and Lidless. This is a big advantage to me. Disadvantages are having to use Magefist and losing the open jewelry slots for MF.

Viper (30)
    Wizardspike (50)
    3x FCR jewelry (30)
    This gives 110. This would be my favorite option if price were no issue. I don't mind sacrificing the MF I could have on the jewelry to have a good block and I'd get to wear Frostburns for even more safety. However, I'd still have to trade for that blasted Wizardspike.

Option 3 might be my favorite but I think option 2 is the most affordable and most likely, but I figured I'd get some input. Thanks for reading over everything, as inane as it might have been. ;)

4. Chimaira

I'd go option 2...but that's because I'm single player and we don't have access to Spirit:(...besides I don't think you're going to need blocking when you're running Mehpist...a bit of dodging works fine. This setup would also be quite powerful enabling you to kill him much faster=less danger. I only play softcore so I guess I don't value protection as much as you do:) Funny how Wizardspike is hard to get...I remember back in 1.09 I had like 20 of them...

Good luck.

5. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

in hc your gonna need the block and resist so the only way to go is:

whitstans(storm if you can afford)
    wizzy(or hoto when or if you can afford it)

your not gonna last long with occy and lidless

6. Chimaira

This is budget so I think Stormshield and HOTO are out of reach:( Whistans is a cool shield but for pure MF'ing I think resists are more importan than max block...I could be wrong though:)

7. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

whitstans(storm if you can afford)
    wizzy(or hoto when or if you can afford it)

as i said if you can afford, i put it in (), you easily get max resists with pdiamond whitstans viper and wizzy, then you also get the very vital max block and fcr,

and in hc both max resist and block are vital for your survival ive done this before and i never died, you wont survive long without it

8. parkerbsb

parkerbsb IncGamers Member

Well if this is HC, there is a sheild that is greater than Storm or Whitstans... Get a 2 pdiamond Upgraded moser's blessed circle (huge resists + high blocking).
    Get wizardspike, vipermagi, magefists, and gamble for 2 rings with fcr... really you could do fine with 63%FCR or greater if you are just starting out, play alot more defensivley.
    (BTW with mosers/viper/wiz you should have near max resists in hell, 75%Block and still have lots of life)

If this is non-ladder I think up'd mosers are expensive, so go with whitstans... but UM it if you can, every bit of resists will help out.

9. BipolarTemp

Well I suppose that settles it. Wizardspike it is. I must say, I really like the massive resists on the thing and having max block to boot wiill be nice. Combined with Frosties for the mana, I don't think I'll be in too much danger. Thanks for all your input everyone. :thumbsup: