Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lots of noob q's

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by purehybrid, Mar 4, 2004.

1. purehybrid

purehybrid IncGamers Member

Lots of noob q's

These are my boggle:
    What items should I have imbued by Charsi?
    I am in Act 3 NM and come across some superior gothic etc, but I don't know what is/are the best things to imbue. Does anyone know if this is bases on clvl (character level?)? Does it matter what difficulty Charsi does this, ie if I give her a superior gothic in normal, and theoretically the same in NM would I have a good chance of getting the same equipment from each imbue-ment (I made up a word!)?

Which items should I have socketed? How many sockets can I put on an item? If I can only do one socket to an item, what should be put there? I am using a necro with the skeleton army, so I don't melee. I am thinking topaz for MF, or diamond in my shield.

How do I know how good my items are? I see godly, uber, exceptional, rare for cube recipes to upgrade items, but I don't know what items are what. Actually I am pretty sure that my items are sub-normal. (E-bay be nice to me :worship: ...)

What is the difference between crushing blow, open wounds, deadly strike and the like?

This may be a bit off topic, but I would like a wider perspective. When partying up, what kind of necro's do most people like playing with? I have maxed out skellie and mastery, and am almost at a loss for what to do now. The mage skellies get dead (re-dead) quickly, I am thinking either maxing out iron golem or revive.

Last question, what the hell are clans good for? Other than handing down second hand items (kind of like when I had to wear my grandfathers clothes because if they were good enough for him...), I see no benefit.

2. GIR

GIR Banned

Corpse Explosion is your very good friend. Max that for a large boom radius.

Don't forget that point into Amplify Damage. Makes your skeletons kill much quicker.

1 point in Clay Golem and Golem Mastery, and then one in Summon resist. With +skill items you find, 1 point will be enough for these.

Use Decrepify curse and Clay Golem on the big bosses (Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, Baal, and anyone else that give you trouble) to make for a very slow moving/attacking boss.

3. purehybrid

I have been putting points into decrepify. is this an adequate replacement for amp damage?

I have already put more than one point in golem mastery and iron golem, should I backtrack and max Corpse Explosion and then worry about something else? Big blasting sounds good to me...

I don't recall seeing how much the clay golem slows monsters, but see the thorn damage of iron golem, is clay golem that much more better than iron?

I have a merc from act 2 NM, offensive that has a +3 to pally skills, is he a pally? If he is, does he get a bonus from the weapon?

4. GIR

GIR Banned

You really don't need more than 1 point into Decrepify, as it will get boosted sufficently once you get some +skill items. But, more points can't hurt, but I'd stop putting points into it. A longer duration is helpful and all, but creatures really shouldn't last past a first level duration, anyways, except for Act bosses. As for a replacement for Amplify Damage, I say no. I only use Decrepify on the big bosses. Amplify Damage makes creatures take +100% damage, while Decrepify is +50%. With max skeletons and Skeleton Mastery, your skeletons should be staying alive just fine, so the Weaken and Slow effects of Decrepify aren't necessary for your mundane battles. Better to be able to kill everything quicker.

Corpse Explosion is definetly good. Coupled with Amplify Damage, you'll be laying waste to everything in your way.

I think a level 1 Clay Golem slows targets by 11%. A level 6 one (+5 to summoning skills is pretty easily obtainable. You'll find more than that as you go along) slows targets by 44%.

Iron Golem... Golems, even at highest levels, aren't really good damage dealers. They'll knock a few smaller things around in Normal alright, but once you get to Hell, they're little more than a distraction for creatures. Thorns isn't really worth the price of admission, especially in the higher difficulties, as the amount of damage that creatures to that will get returned by Thorns compared to their life is minimal. Clay Golem has the highest life potential, and you'll come to love it's slowing effect coupled with Decrepify on Act bosses.

Act 2 Mercs aren't Palladins, so they don't get bonuses from +Palladin skills.

5. Glacial Trail

Glacial Trail IncGamers Member

Just to clarify what the poster above said, it depends on the wording of the item. So they will not be affected by mods such as "+1 To Paladin Skill Levels" which by definition is exclusive to only Paladins, but they can be affected by direct skill mods such as +1 To Jab (the Amazon skill) and +1 To Might etc.

As for Crushing Blow etc. - try this link http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic.shtml and scroll down.

6. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

NOOOOOOB hahha hahhaha lol

7. GIR

GIR Banned

[sarcasm]Oh, he's new to the game. Yes, it's very funny. Why, we should ridicule him mercilessly for it![/sarcasm]

Make silence, fool.

8. pliu

pliu Banned

stfu :rant:

9. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Don't make me kill you in the face sonny.

10. purehybrid

Yup...I'm a noob, no doubt about it. Do you think that pointing that out is going to hurt me? :yawn: How about this? I am going to rub your head with a dull cheese grater until I see squishy stuff. :flip:

Back to the story...
    What items should I have Charsi imbue and does the imbue-ation (another new word!) get better at the higher levels of difficulty?

What to socket, and what to put in?

Ok...I screwed up and put a couple of points in iron golem. After maxing out CE, should I go for golem mastery and clay golem? I don't think that I will have enough points to get bone spear and it's synergized stuff, so I think that is out.

11. GIR

GIR Banned

Imbuing. Thinks that people wouldn't normaly think to imbue, particuarly belts, tend to get some decend mods.

For socketing... wait until you get some high-end items. By then, you'll have better gems/runes/jewels, and you can make your high-end items even better.

If you don't have enough points to get a decent damage Bone Spear, Bone Wall can help out to divide and conquer. It'll be useful for breaking up large packs of creatres that might give your skeletons trouble in higher difficulties. Plus, Bone Armor is a prerequisite for Bone Wall, and adding points to Bone Wall gives better returns to Bone Armor than putting points into it directly.

12. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

My two cents on imbue:

(Be warned that my advice is biased towards how I play D2 (Single Player, no transfer of items between characters and I only play each area in the game once (doing a full clear)). So an item I find useful, you might not.)

An imbued item will get an item level of your character´s level plus 6, regardless of what difficulty it is done in. You can go back to Normal with a high-level character and imbue.

I generally don´t imbue gloves, belts and boots. Those are cheap to gamble. And I often end up with some unique, socketed or runeworded armor, so I rarely imbue those either.

Weapons: You can get "Cruel" at level 46 onwards. I normally don´t imbue weapons you can gamble for (unless in specific situations, for example if I find a War Javelin in act 4 Normal, that can be a great item for many character builds, for quite a while). The really high-level elemental damage affixes (Condensing, Shocking, etc.) have ALVL in the 70-ies.

Class-specific items: +2 skills on those is generally ALVL 50, so an item imbued at level 44+ can get that. Good for Orbs, Necro heads, Pally shields and Druid/Barbarian headgear.

Cirlcets: often a good choice, even though you can gamble them at level 20+. Can get a number of really great abilities, for both early game and late game. All the big resistances (Amber, Ruby, Sapphire), best Magic Find, 1-2 possible sockets, elemental and +% damage and 20% Faster Run are all available when you first find circlets.

You can get +1 to a character class skills if you imbue at level 27+.

+2 to class skills on an imbued circlet is possible at the following character levels:
    Circlet: 81
    Coronet: 76
    Tiara: 71
    Diadem: 66 (but it´s unlikely to find a Diadem that early...)

13. purehybrid

Thank you much for the info. Is there a difference if I use cracked circlet rather than regular circulet, or the superior?

Is there an item list that I can look at to see how items rank?

Thank you again for all the info! :worship:

14. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

The quality of the item is irrelevant when imbuing, you'll get the same output whether you use a Cracked Circlet or a Superior Circlet - save Superior stuff for socketing later.

As to item rankings... not sure what you mean here. You can find assorted stats such as TC, qlvl, defence/damage, and so on at www.d2data.net (beware, they have a lot of incorrect info - their item stats are correct though, I think). If you mean rarity, there's a rarity list floating around in the Gen. Strat. or Stats forums. And if you mean in terms of what's best - well, that's personal preference mostly :)

edit: A minor correction to jiansonz's post - Diadems can get +2 class skills at any character level because of the odd way that they work (high qlvl + magic bonus gives them access to all affixes at any level). But obviously there's no way you'll find a plain Diadem before Hell difficulty...