Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lost season three!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Merick, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Lost season three!

*Spoilers for non-US fans of Lost*

Random thoughts on the third season premiere of Lost:

I loved how the opening was something seemingly completely unrelated to anything. Just like season two's premiere.
    The book club was reading "Carrie". Everyone also had a different edition.
    What sort of relationship do Juliette (there's a suspicious name) have with Fake Henry Gale (now known as Ben)? He closed the door on her when the chamber was flooding, and he was the guy who didn't show up to the book club.
    How did Juliette get all that info on Jack?
    Who is Karl? He didn't seem to have any knowledge of the crash survivors and he didn't seem to be an other.
    Some people seem to think the cage that Kate and Karl occupied was for the giant bird in the season 2 finale. It is taller than it is wide and seems to have a platform for a bird.
    As interesting as Jack can be, I wish there weren't so episodes about him. He feels like the main character on a show that really isn't supposed to have one. I think he's had two more flashback episodes than anyone else.
    What was everyone shot up with? Just a seditive?
    Why is Jack being kept seperate?

/Pre-emptive "I tried to watch it before, but I couldn't follow it", "It's too complicated", and "It's too slow".

2. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Karl is clearly an other. He was just there to be a foil to Sawyer.

What I want to know is how we tie this into what we saw at the end of last season's finale and Desmond's girl?

How do they have all this information about Jack, but not know about Desmond's boat (from the preview of next week)?

3. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

<_<

>_>

Interesting episode, but I have to say I was expecting more from the Season Premier. Like perhaps a double episode? Anyway, here are a few of my thoughts on some of the bits you highlighted.

I believe that two survivors are being kept 'separate', Jack physically from the other two, and Kate emotionally from Sawyer. The scenarios seem like psychological experiments as follows:

1) - A fairly simple scenario whereby Jack, against his better judgement, comes to trust his jailor and see him or her as a friend, eventually to the point where he will do anything he/she 'requests' as an ally against 'the real bad guys' (i.e. Ben). How well this will work with him remains to be seen, especially given that Juilette seems to sympathise with him and dislike Ben.

2) - Again, a simple scenario assessing his ability to cope with hardship and deprivation. This may become more complex with the involvement of Kate as a model prisoner appearing to get all the perks from the jailors whilst he gets crap, the idea being that when the jailors actually raise him back to normality he feels a deep gratitude to them and distrust for Kate.

3) - Possibly the most complex, preying on her empathy and feelings of guilt (recall the death in her flashback). Basically her two-week ordeal is to watch Sawyer be reduced down to his basest instincts knowing that not only can she do nothing to help (if she does she will kill him, or Jack, or both) but also she will be treated well so she cannot saite her guilt. Most likely she would do anything to help allievate Sawyers conditions by the end of the two weeks.

To precisely what ends they seek to do this is unclear, apart from perhaps an effort to break them and re-shape them into members of their community (if they are deemed suitable) and split them from each other in the long term. We could even extend this into Juliettes circumstances where perhaps Ben was her on personal jailor at some point in the past.

Still, we are only into the first episode, and I have been wrong before. Hopefully some more light will be shed on the subject next time.

4. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Three seasons and still NOBODY KNOWS A DAMNED THING! AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

[/ash's tar]

5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

We know why the plane crashed. That was like one of the biggest mysteries.

S Z:
    It kinda is a double episode though. Like in season 2 there was a 'hatch' episode followed by a 'raft' episode. This season it looks like a 'Jack, Sawyer, Kate' followed by 'island and boat'.

When Karl told Sawyer to run the other way, my first thought was he was getting Sawyer to play decoy. It's either that or he was getting him to run into Juliette.

I just rewatched Orientation today (the one with the film explaining the button) and you know how Candle mentions various things being studied like electromagnetism and psychology? Utopian societies is the last thing he mentions, which makes me think of the Other's nice little book club village.

They are definately playing phsychological games with them. I wonder if their personalities and how they get along are why they were chosen to be brought here. For what end though?

6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Great... the plane crashed. One thing in how many thousands of loose ends? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

Alot of mysteries have been solved, or at least been shed light on.

Plane Crashing: explained
    Polar Bears: mostly explained
    Who are the Others: we have some ideas
    What is the Monster: we have some ideas

What the Others want with the children: unexplained
    Walt's powers: unexplained
    "Visions" many characters have had: unexplained
    Locke/Rose/Jin's healing: unexplained
    Basically all the really "supernatural stuff: unexplained

We know about Dharma now, which explains alot, like the function of the hatches (abandoned research facility) and where the others (maybe) come from.

8. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Maybe I shouldn't have tried playing Animal Crossing on the DS while not paying attention. Or better yet, maybe they SHOULD GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!

9. jackthelad

jackthelad IncGamers Member

Lost reminds me of Twin Peaks: Spends a lot of time going nowhere v e r y s l o w l y.

Stupid forums, not letting me put a representative amount of spaces between my letters.

10. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

It's like the X-Files, they aren't revealing stuff, they're just making it up as the go along. Very, very slowly.

11. mhl12

mhl12 IncGamers Member

i just saw it a few minutes ago.. if anyone missed it, you can watch for free at www.abc.com

pretty interesting stuff.. great way to open the season by creating even more questions.. ha

12. S Z

S Z IncGamers Member

When I say double episode, I mean 'I'm a greedy b*****d and want a 2hr long season Premier :wink:

There is also the whole 'Life Extension Project' which the Hanso Foundation's current significant project. I can't see this being unrelated to the very impressive healing of Locke and Rose seen since the crash. One of the outside chance plot developments I've thought about is bringing the whole 'Fountain of Youth' legend into the mix (especially fitting the fact that the island is hard to find/escape from tying into the mythos).

Personalities, definitely. Also Jack would seem to be a very useful commodity to have in a Utopian community purely because of is medical background. Kate and Sawyer don't appear to have such clear-cut attributes, though you might be able to call Kate exceptionally decisive though she may not always make the right decisions, and Sawyer is very charismatic when he tries to be (and often when he doesn't). We don't really know enough about their back-stories to gauge them that well though.

We know that Kate looks damn fine in a dress. That is enough for me.

13. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

The producers stated fairly early in the first season that they had an outline for 4 or 5 seasons and planned to end it then. There's a hell of a lot more going on then the handful of X-Files episodes pertaining to the "larger" storyline too.

14. ogogo on ice

ogogo on ice IncGamers Member

I agree we know why the plane crashed, but is them knowing each other and all the insane coincidences before they got on the plane just coincidences? I mean like Jack's ex-wife being the one to kill Shannons dad, Jack's dad meeting half of the island, etc.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

So they say. I call bull**** on the idea that all that crap is going to eventually make sense.

But anyway, five seasons is WAAAAY too long for a show like this, particularly considering it's essentially a one-trick pony. They should cut their seasons in half and double the content of each episode, at least. When I watch it I just feel like I'm being milked.

Look how pissed people were when they didn't get to see the monster at the end of season one. That was crap, the writers are out of their minds.

16. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Coincidences happen in life, there's no reason for any of that to be explained, it's just for fun IMO. It adds to a feeling of 'destiny'.

Much of it does make sense, and like I said above, it doesn't all need to. I have trouble understanding the "too slow, milked" mindset. If I'm reading a book, and I love it, I want it to keep going as long as possible. I've never gotten bored partway during a book/TV show/game that I thought was great. If it's great, then the longer it is, the longer I can enjoy it. There was lots of action in this episode, I didn't feel like it was dragging at all, even if I didn't find out anything huge.

17. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

Agreed. To me, the very best moments on this show are not when a mystery is clarified, but rather when a new one is introduced.

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Well, the whole second season just kept dragging out the revelations and hardly anything happened per episode.

19. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

They learned from DragonballZ

an entire season for one fight:rolleyes:

20. Nacaa

Nacaa IncGamers Member

Explain please