Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lost in a world of D2

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Sir Chumpalot, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Sir Chumpalot

Sir Chumpalot IncGamers Member

Lost in a world of D2

Hi everyone, thought I would sign up as read quite a bit on here and learnt so much already.

Firstly, I apologise for the incredible noobness of this post.

I played D2 back when it was released but never really got into it, I preferred the story and ambience of the first Diablo. However, after watching a few vids of Diablo 3 I thought I'd fire up D2 again and give it another go, and boy am I glad I did!

Well, I say I am, I am and I'm not. To give you an idea of where I'm at. I haven't completed it yet, i'm on act 5 Whilst my character (a lvl 30 Hammerdin) fairs quite well in the game, there are times when things all get a bit too much, especially when I'm surrounded. The downfall of a Hammerdin I guess.... perhaps.

One of my main questions (and there are quite a few :yes: ) is this. I have collected many low level runes (a full Horadric cube full) and many gems. A few of which are perfect. Are these actually of any use to me and are they worth keeping hold of? Or, could I trade them perhaps for something that will aid me a bit more in the later levels and in Nightmare?

Also, any advice that anyone can share with me to aid me later on? Especially on the other difficulties.

Thanks in advance

Dave

2. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Re: Lost in a world of D2

Gems have these uses:

1. Trade currency
    2. Insert into sockets: Mostly topazes for mf in helms/armors and diamonds for all res in shields, but on lower levels sapphires are useful for more mana too ...
    3. Rerolling magic items, mostly grand charms to get skillers (grand charms with +1 to a skill tree).
    4. Crafting.
    All of the above methods of using them can be of use to you, but point 3 and 4 are probably not worth worrying about until you've already used point 1 and 2 to gain a decently equipped high level character.

Runes are best used in runewords, some low level ones of interest are: spirit, smoke, stealth, lore, and insight. Check out their stats and I'm sure you'll see why.
    The only problem is getting base items for them as the runes are fairly common, especially when you can run nightmare countess (boss at bottom of the tower in black marsh = great rune source).

3. Sir Chumpalot

Thanks for the reply and for the runeword suggestions, it's just what I needed. I think I just need to concentrate on finishing the game, by then I'll be around level 40. Until then I don't think things are worth worring about. I may have a go at making Smoke as the resistances would help a lot. I think Insight at around 140 required strength is a little out of my league at the minute!!

Regarding stats, whenever I level up the majority of the points go onto Vit. I'm at around 360 life. The only advantage of putting it into Str as far as I can see is so that you can wear better gear as it doesn't affect damage too much anyway. Is that right?

4. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

that totally depends on what character you are playing :)

edit: you might want to add the type of build to that 2. (like bowazon, orbitaller, summon necro, smiteadin etc).

5. Sir Chumpalot

Apologies. I'm going for a Hammerdin. So far it's working quite well. It's only when I'm surrounded that I find i can't do enough damage.

6. sighoth

sighoth Banned

Ok, i have a 93 hammerdin that i leveld pretty much solo, so ill try and help. Firstly an Act 2 mercenery is ure best friend, You look after him and hell look after you. The problem with the hammerdin is <60 they dont excell at mob killing, mainly due to mana and damege issues. If it were me id respec somthing a bit more funner like a zealer, With life/mana leech its a very fun build with less to worry about that a hammerdin. Alltho if ure sticking to ure guns and want a hammerdin, read on.

At low levels MF isnt a massive priority, So you want to gem mana/life and maybe some resistance. Ure final build should look similar to this,

20 Vigor
    20 Blessed aim
    20 hammer ( whod have thought? )
    20 concentration aura.
    1 into redemption, explained later

Max hammers first, then concentration, then vigor and finally blessed aim. You should ALLWAYS use concentration while casting hammers, the 2 are syergyised to work fantastic together.

As for stats, Dont pump energy or dex, put enuff strenght to use ure armors, and put the rest into vitality, The reason you dont use energy is due to 2 things, Insight and redemption. If you play on battlenet ill happily give you a free low insight you can slap on a merc and youll never worry about mana again, Until you get this, Redemption is a great skill, when you kill a pack opf mobs, switch to it and it gives you life/mana back for every dead monster you have killed.

in reguards to gems, keep all the perfect, many people with wealth to spare will buy gems for crafting, the items they give wont be great for them but godly for you, so defo keep hold of them.

I hope i helped a little bit, and i see ure from the UK, i am aswell, so if your on Europe battle net ladder, feel free to whisp me if u need advice,

*Sigoth

( if you dont know how to whisper its /m *sigoth messege goes here )

7. Sir Chumpalot

sighoth, thank you very much for the information. That is the exact build i'm going for, it's always good to get clarification and pointers from someone who has actually done it, as I'm sure many others on here have also.

I find myself getting mobbed all too easily I'm afraid and I have to do a lot of running around and circling for things to be effective.

I'm currently on the hunt for a Lo rune and I'm just about to defeat Baal so that's where I'm at.

Would love to play on bnet, I'll get the 1st 'run' out of the way and see what nightmare is like then let you know if that's ok?

Many thanks again for the advice, a great help.

Dave

8. Sir Chumpalot

Well, I had no idea that Nightmare difficulty would be this hard! God knows that Hell must be like with 8 players set!

9. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

You cannot expect any high runes until you're in hell, and even then they'll take quite a bit runs to find. Focus on getting the runewords that don't need more then Dol/Io/Fal-ish runes at most, as anything below lem should be easy to get from nightmare countess.

You should aim at getting dual spirit runewords (long or crystal sword + paladin shield with some base res), and lore. Getting those items will increase your +skills and you fcr, helping your killspeed a lot. You can probably trade for a vipermagi (good unique armor with 1skill, 30fcr and some all res) rather cheaply, just make a thread about it on the appropriate trading forum here and I'm sure someone will have one for a few pgems.

I haven't actually played a hdin untwinked personally,have had a set of those items ready for him when he reaches 25-30, and when he has those he's pretty much unstoppable for a long time pvm wise.

PS: You can avoid double posting by using the edit button in the right bottom corner of your post. Use it when you wish to add something to your post of correct something.

10. Sir Chumpalot

Thanks, I have a bunch of low level runes, tal, ord, eld, nef el, ral. Will an aerin shield do or should i be aiming for something a bit better?

11. Sir Chumpalot

OK, have just made my first Runeword, Ancients pledge but for some reason the resistances are slightly lower than the pics on this site in the runewords section. Would that be because I've used an Aerin shield?

12. sighoth

sighoth Banned

Np was glad to help, As someone else mentiond, unfortunatly high runes are very very hard to come by, ive found 3 i think in the last month, and i mf a hell of a lot. The other poster had a good idea with the dual spirits, a crystal sword/flail with 4 socs would be fine, and as for the shield, any pala shield will do really, your using it for the FCR,

I forgot 2 things, in hell the mobs are a hell of a lot tougher, So i would advise when you get to about 75ish respecc ure stats and put enuff dexterity to give you max block, this reduces the damege u take alot, The other thing is Holy shield, make sure you have atleast 1 point in it while ure maxing ure hammer skills, it boosts defence and keeps you alive :).

I assume ure on single player atm, If not as i said, msg me and ill help you out.

13. Sir Chumpalot

From reading a bit more, I figured the resistances aren't that great as the Aerin shield is classed as a normal shield, not Paladin. No matter.

What do you mean by dual spirits? Two of them? The spirit is a four socketed shield and I was thinking about going to ancients pledge... confused now lol. Also, isn't the Spirit ladder only?

Lastly, and i apologise for sounding so new, what does FCR mean?

Thanks again everyone for the help.

14. Sir Chumpalot

One last thing before i let you all go to bed :yes: would it be better for me to shoot through the first Act or so on normal difficulty rather than hell? I'm finding Nightmare slow going and I think this is due to combination of both my gear and low level.

Thanks

15. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

fcr = faster cast rate, will allow you to cast you hammers faster.

Dual spirit implies just that, make spirit in your weapon AND in a shield. The runeword can be made in both item types, and a spirit shield is far better then ancients pledge (just compare the mods listed in arreat summit for the two).

Yes, spirit and insight are ladder only runewords, you'd need the runeword mod (RWM) to make them on SP. You can find that in one of the stickies of the SP forum.

Aerin shields are paladin shields, it should say so in the item description "(Paladin Only)". If you wish for us to say why the resistances are lower then they should be from making ancients pledge in one, please post a screenshot so we can see how it looks.

PS: I repeat, avoid double posting by using the edit button when you want to add something to your posts.

16. Sir Chumpalot

Apologies for the double-posting. It wont happen again.

I understand now. Having compared the two sets of stats, I'll aim for one of those I think.

Thanks again, I'm learning :)

17. sighoth

sighoth Banned

dont understand what you mean by "going through first act on normal" Ure best bet is to make normal games and do baalruns, i havent played single player in years so i have no idea if u can make games or you have to stay in nightmare, if so then all you can do is act 1 :p.

18. Sir Chumpalot

When you say Baal runs, you mean using the teleporter to go straight to worldstone keep and defeat Baal there?

I think it must operate differently on bnet, nothing is open to me in Nightmare difficulty so that is my only option i guess. Have got 2 runes off of Andariel already... low level but hey.

19. sighoth

sighoth Banned

by baalruns i mean by running through the WSK getting to throne, killing minions of baal, then baal himself, you can do this over and over till 40-45 then nightmare shouldnt be a problem, as you level you wont get xp from lower acts, at 30 stick to act 4-5 to level up in normal.

20. Sir Chumpalot

Brilliant, just what i wanted to know, thanks.

I'm slowly beginning to realise what is worth picking up and what isnt (i.e, almost nothing is worth picking up :wink: ) At the beginning I was picking up every rare and unique item i could get my hands on!!