Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lost Gems

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grimlorn, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Grimlorn

Grimlorn IncGamers Member

Lost Gems

Hi I just started a Diablo 2 game after hearing about the Diablo 3 announcement. I've been playing for a little bit and got Wirt's leg. I stuck it in my storage next to some gems, and when I was moving some gems around I accidently put 2 into Wirt's Leg. I lost a Flawed Amtheyst and a Chipped Emerald. Is there anyway to get those gems back without losing the wirt's leg? I've been searching for ways to do this through mods or even cheats and can't seem to find any info on the subject. I tried searching for threads on gems, couldn't find any.

Was hoping more experienced people could point me in the right direction or give me more information on the subject. I'm just playing single player on my computer. I'm not playing online or anything. It just annoys me to lose gems like that. I really want them back.

Thanks.

2. Joosh

Joosh IncGamers Member

Re: Lost Gems

This is the wrong place to ask about cheats/mods, we do not look upon them kindly, as for your loss I am sorry but in due time you will easily recoup those gems. Later in the game if you happen to find a hel rune and are desperate to unsocket that leg, you can use the cube recipe (Hel Rune + Item (in this case wirt's leg) + Scroll of town portal).

I am sorry I can not be of more help, but at least it was only a minor loss, I have done much stupider things before, like putting a HoTo in a Crystal Sword when i first started on battle.net, needless to say I don't play there anymore.

Best of luck to you!

Joosh :thumbup:

3. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Play for ten minutes and you'll get 'em back. Chippies are a dime a dozen, and any amethyst is basically useless besides crafting/rerolling when they're in perfect form. Next time, be more careful. :coffee:

Welcome to the SPF. If you plan on sticking around, make an intro thread, read the stickies at the top, and beware of the squid.

4. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

It should be noted that the recipe that Joosh provided does not remove the gems, it destroys them. Those gems are gone forever. I don't think a hack or mod exists that allows you to unsocket items, so I don't recommend looking for one, and you aren't allow to discuss them here anyway.

Your gems aren't a major loss. It's much worse to stick a worthless gem in a very valuable item. Then you have to waste a Hel rune to get it out. A Flawed and chipped gem in a worthless item is nothing to worry about.

5. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Don't bother with the gems, play for 15 minutes, oyu will get them back and they are worthless anyway. Later in the game, you will get lots of flawless gems anyways. Also throw away the Wirt's leg too. You can allways get it from Wirt again and it just eats your space in the inventory...

6. Grimlorn

Is this true? Can you really get Wirt's Leg anytime in the game if you throw it away? Would the portal to Tristram still be there?

Also, what about Jewels? I'm not sure I remember them being in the game back when I played the game on Single Player when it first came out. I'm having trouble finding info on what I can use them for. Like I think I found one horadric transmutation and that's it for them.

I'm such a noob at this game now. I don't remember anything about the mechanics and how to get the good eq and stuff. Also wasted my imbue, too. I'm so annoyed about that too. I wasn't sure whether I'd still have it if I played into Nightmare or not.

Clicked on some guides here and they don't seem to exist anymore. Like general topic guides. Game's so old.

7. Are

Are IncGamers Member

The portal to Tristram will still be there (although it doesn't show on the automap, so you'll have to look around the Stony Field to find it again), and each time you click on Wirt's Body he'll give you a Wirt's Leg.

The Leg is only used to open the Secret Cow Level, once you've killed Baal (Diablo in Classic) in that difficulty, so you can safely throw it away until you reach that point. Transmute the Leg with a Tome of Town Portal while you're in the Rogue Camp.

Jewels can be placed in socketed items the same way Gems can be. They are also used for some Horadric Cube recipes, primarily (only?) crafting recipes.

8. Grimlorn

Ok thanks for the help. Not sure if I should make another thread, can't edit the title of this one.

I'm not sure if I'll level my character up high enough to go through hell. I'm mainly just playing for the story. I might try going through nightmare though.

I'm playing a Hammerdin. I see a lot of guides recommending the best gear, but is there any decent gear I should shoot for in normal or nightmare on the way to hell? Like anything I can craft that would be worth it on the way?

Only notable piece of eq I have is a Grand Scepter that adds 1 or 2 to Concentration and 1 or 2 to Blessed Hammer. Looking for caster buff eq, but that seems it.

9. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

Crafting will be somewhat difficult through normal; all those recipes require perfect gems, right? (I could be wrong; been a while since I crafted anything), and you probably won't get too many of those. If you're fortunate enough, look at the caster crafts for Faster Cast Rate. It'd be good to check some builds in the stickies to see the breakpoints for FCR.

10. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

For a basic hammerdin gear - get a Stealth runeword (you can easily get the runes from few Countess runs in act 1. It helps with everything you need, gives FRW (nice at the begining), FCR - good for casting, FBR - good for recovering from hard monster hits.
    Try to get rings with +mana and faster cast rate.
    Try to get +skills, resists. (+skills could be tricky, but I don't know where you are in the game - the items with +skills start to drop around act3)
    ORT+SOL (Lore) helmet later..
    From beginning, you will probably don't have enough mana for casting hammers all the time - get a weapon with good damage (Steel Flail - 2socketed Flail could be bought as soon as you get to act2, TIR+EL is all you need.) In 1st act - use just anything with high damage.

11. Rhonlyn

Rhonlyn IncGamers Member

Regarding the imbue, you can save it as long as you want, and go back from, say hell to normal and imbue a diadem or whatever. You will lose your map though- when you go back to hell you will have to "discover" the areas again from your last waypoint. No big deal.

12. Grimlorn

I just started act 3 on normal. I'm level 23 or 24.

For some reason I have enough mana that I can kind of spam hammers as I see fit. I didn't put any points into energy. I just have one piece of eq that I think restores 1 mana for each kill, and another that increases mana regen by 40 percent. I have casting rate amulet and ring (10 percent each) but I'm not sure what the benefits are to casting faster, since I don't have much trouble getting the hammers off at all. Also my amulet replenishes life and gives me a 40 percent mana regen increase so I think that's probably a lot better than 10 percent fcr. I only end up using 1-3 potions each trip and it's pretty easy getting that many to drop.

I think I have a base str of 75. Maybe like 55 or 60 for vitality. I'm working on Dex (think it's like 50) for shield block, because I keep on reading you need 135 for the 75 percent block of holy shield or something. Leveling concentration because it seems to increase attack damage of blessed hammers by 15 percent while the others do 14 percent. Concentration just seems to add more damage easily more than the other 2 synergies. Probably saving Blessed Hammer for last so I don't have to spend more mana each cast, but I did put a few points into to check out the increase in damage compared with the synergies etc.

13. Ohomemgrande

Ohomemgrande IncGamers Member

Concentration only works at 50% effectiveness with Blessed Hammer so you're really only getting 7.5% increase with each level. However, it also benefits your Merc so it's still a good choice.

Your damage will also go up much faster by maxing BH sooner rather than later. For example, the base damage of 1 BH +40 synergy is 92.4 average damage where if you did 11 BH +30 synergy it would be 520 average damage. That's a 5X increase in damage for a 2.5 mana increase/hammer. Once you add in the Concentration bonus, it gets even more complicated but I think the principle is the same--max the main skill as early as is comfortable and then work on the synergies.

14. Grimlorn

I just lost all my jewels I think. I had like 8

I was full on runes, gems, and skulls in my stash, so I dropped all my jewels outside to make room and would pick them up when I saved but after a few trips back and forth I've noticed they are all gone. I've done this with eq before why would jewels disappear if eq doesn't? Does this also happen with gems, runes and skulls? The piece of eq I left next to them is also still there.

15. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Yes, stuff disappear if you leave them on the ground for some time. White items disappear fastest, then magical, then set and last uniques. For generally, don't keep stuff on the ground for long if they have value for you.

16. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

You can allways save your items in Atma stash if your inventory is full (check Atma program in the stickies). Don't worry, you still didn't loose nothing major from the long run perspective. Items worth something will start to appear in NM difficulty..