Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lord of Mages

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by ZeGeRtheslayer, Apr 16, 2005.

1. ZeGeRtheslayer

ZeGeRtheslayer IncGamers Member

Lord of Mages

Hello everyone!

I´m pretty new to Necromancers and would really appreciate some help with a build.

Are Skeletons Mages good enough to work out in Hell?

Because I was thinking of making a build with mainly Skeleton Mages.
    To help the Mages I was thinking about having one or a few revives and perhaps a Golem. I thought that using the Mages with a Fire Golem and the Curse Lower Resistance maybe would work. Maybe some Corpse Explotion too?

What do you think?
    Do you have any ideas of how I shall build this charcter?

Thankyou very much in advance!

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

While it needs some patience when playing him, the LoM seems to work out in hell. And there's always the occasonal situation where my Skelemancer relies more on his mages than the warriors.

Isn't there a LoM guide in the "Essential necromancer information" sticky thread?

3. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

A build revolving around Skeleton Mages is fine as long as you don't want to solo in Hell. They have about a third the life of Skeleton Warriors, do little damage, and die quickly in Hell. They are good in Normal and Nightmare however, along with a good Merc and Clay Golem. To make the best of their attacks be sure to invest in Lower Resist. Check the stickies for build info.

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

The search feature works wonderfully. Check out this thread, this thread, this thread and this thread.

Nobody has written a coherent one yet.

It can work. All it requires is that you stop viewing Mages as Skellies and don't think that you'll fly through the different Acts.

5. Myrakh-2

Indeed... if you look closely at the graphics, you'll notice that mages don't have swords, but warriors do. So the warriors can easily cut cookies, whereas the mages have to somehow chew through them.

Now, I'm not exactly sure why the ability to cut cookies helps in D2 (I've never actually seen a cookie there), but the most successful builds are genereally the ones with the ability to cut cookies.

But there's no need to use swords to cut cookies, of course. Take a hammerdin, for example: if he concentrates carefully and hits the cookie at the right angle with his hammer, the cookies will break in a way that makes it look as if they've been cut. That's why hammerdins need the concentration aura, because it's next to impossible to achieve this effect randomly --- they would just crumble the cookies.

Now, as I've already pointed out, Skeleton mages can't cut cookies, but given that I haven't had to face a cookie in a LOOONG time, this should not prevent them from going through hell.

6. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

See my Thread on the 1.10 Lich Lord. My recent mage lord DOES solo hell, and is the doninant player in most multiparty games. My mages rarely ever die. It is important to have enigma with this build to be able to group your mages together, so that when they shoot it is in a stream, much like a strafer's strategy. I agree you need to max Lower Resist, and some Corpse Explosion helps when there are large groups. With 1 point in raise skelly and 1 point revive, after +skills you will have plenty of tanks.

7. ZeGeRtheslayer

It sounds really cool!

I was thinking about perhaps maxing out Skeletal Mastery, Mages, Lower resist and Fire Golem. What do you think about it?

8. Myrakh-2

I think you should take a look at the Lower Resist skill at Arreat Summit before maxing it :) Summary of the table: the increase flatlines very early on.

Whether you want to max fire golem is probably up to you, but I think it's pretty mana intensive for a diversion. Not to mention the lack of monster slowing.

9. ZeGeRtheslayer

Thankyou very much! I just thought that maxing Lower Resist would give a large radius and a long duration, and that the Fire Golem would benefit from it as well.

I´ve got another question about Lower Resist. Will it help his bone spells anything?

Thankyou for your help!

10. Abdiel

Abdiel IncGamers Member

Lower resist no helpum bone spells, bone spells heap based on pure magic damage. Lower resist no changeum pure magic resist.

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

My LR is at 8 with plus skills and the radius is just fine. I could throw another 19 points into it for another -8 to resists which is nothing to scoff at, but I'd prefer to round out most builds more. I could see putting maybe five points in, but more than that is a pretty expensive investment for just a handful of -res points. Try and figure out your gear. Once you get to the point where you're investing 2 points for -1 to resists, you might want to consider not putting any more in. Summon resists on the other hand, has a considerably more forgiving rate of diminishing returns and I think more worthy of extra points if you have them to spare.

An Enigma mage build sounds cool though. Did you do that with infinity too or did it work that well without?

12. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

My enigma mage build used a Faith Fire Rogue Merc. I maxed Lower Resist (level 33 now lol).

13. ZeGeRtheslayer

Thankyou all very much!

But is there any way to break Immunities to elements?

14. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

The lower resist curse and the conviction aura can stack to break immunities but for each point over 100 reduced it takes five points. You can get conviction from the Infinity polearm equipped on your merc (very expensive Ber Mal Ber Ist IIRC). Conviction reduces maximum resists by 85%. This is irrelevant for breaking immunities but if an enemy has resists of 15 or less, it does nothing whereas LR will reduce resists regardless. It also apparently does nothing for poison damage (just learned this in another thread).

Check out the monster stats on Arreat Summit to get an idea of how many immunities you can break. I've found that with my poisonmancer I couldn't break the immunities on any monsters after Act II with LR alone in Hell.

15. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

:thumbsup:

16. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

As opposed to the tank minions (Skeletons, Revives) wouldn't several points into Attract suffice for this build instead?

And on a side note, is this TRUE that Lower Resist doesn't work on magic damage like all the Necromancer bone spells?! Have I been living a lie?? :eek:

17. Naja

Naja IncGamers Member

Adding onto this, I just realized that you could exploit another lovely spell to keep your mages more safe: Bone Walls.

With a maxed out Bone Wall spell, paired with the synergies from Bone Armor and the Marrowalk bug, added to the added hitpoints in the subsequent difficulty levels, your Bone Walls are going to be unstoppable in Hell. Just think about it: if you maxed Skeletal Mastery, Skeletal Mage, Summon Resist, and Lower Resist, had a decent level Bone Wall with appropriate + skill items/synergies, and a decent level Attract, you could literally block off passage ways (or barricade yourself and your minions from all sides to be safe from harm - does Bone Wall protect against ALL missile attacks?) while the Attracted monster/s get pummelled by their buddies, while your Mages drip away from the monsters' health. How lazy can you get????

18. Myrakh-2

Indeed.

Lower Resist works for fire, cold, lightning and poison. Conviction works for fire, cold and lightning (poison not included here, to go along with the general "no poison" theme of paladins).

Nothing in the game lowers magic resistance or improves magic damage (i.e. there is no -%resist for magic and no +%damage for magic).

19. UltraNull

UltraNull IncGamers Member

-It doesn't help against blizzard or meteor (duuuh!)
    -It doen't help against bonespear from the viper guestmonsters or the greater mummy's 'darkstar' missile.

20. Myrakh-2

Add lightning bolts (the big ones from gloams, not the lightniong enchanted bolts) and those spearcat javelins to the list.