Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lord Of Mages Reborn?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GodofWar, May 18, 2005.

1. GodofWar

GodofWar IncGamers Member

Lord Of Mages Reborn?

I was wondering about an old 1.09 build, the Lord Of Mages. It was really the only viable summoning character besides an overlord in 1.09 but I never got around to making it. So I was wondering if anyone would know if it is viable or not? I also have a few questions.

-is their anyway I can check or compute the damage for the mages
    -will lower resist pierce immunities
    -what aura would be good
    -if you know of any guide on a 1.10 Lord Of Mages

I'll probably use the full Trangs set as is provides a lot of +skills and resistances, as well as those fire skills (love em!) which should work pretty well couple w/lower resist. Knowing me I will probably end up making one no matter what, but I just wanted some opinions (now I just need to get the Trangs set, dangnabbit!). Thanks

-Guan Yu

2. Warrior of Light

Warrior of Light IncGamers Member

Lord of Mages isn’t common in 1.10. Mages are pretty weak against simple skeletons and require LR curse, that are worse than AD, that you will want to use with a tank merc. Mages although require good tank or two. Usually you will use a golem and a merc, but you will have a lot in Skeleton Mastery, so you may use just normal skeletons. Eventually you will be playing just as any other Skellemancer. :)

Don’t be discouraged by this. Mages do ALOT of elemental damage at high levels (see Arreat Summit), and may bring a lot of fun gaming.

Anyway, Lord of Mages in 1.10 isn’t a powerful build in opinion of Warrior of Light. :)

Look Necro FAQ at Necro Forum for more info.

3. GodofWar

Thank you very much Warrior of Light

I just recently ran a "test" run in Hell with a level 85 necromancer with the Full Trangs, Maras, Wisp Ring, SoJ, Marrowalks, and Arm Of King Leoric. My skills were as follows

20 Skeleton Mage
    20 Skeleton Mastery
    20 Fire Golem
    8 Clay Golem
    6 Golem Mastery
    5 Revive
    5 Lower Resist
    1 Summon Resist
    1 Corpse Explosion
    And all of the prequistes.

Needless to say, he did pretty well. I have 12 mages, 1 fire golem a lvl 79 defiance merc w/Reapers, VGaze, Duriels, as well as 15 revives and an Oak Sage. After plowing through Acts I & II, I decided to jump to the WSK. We first ran into a horde of those little fetish guys, who were fire immune (my greatest enemy) as they had several boss shamans that I could not really damage we got stalled for awhile and the bridge from the wp soon become choked with the slain fetish. Eventually I got through their, managed to get some Gloams and skeleton warriors (through revive) and was going along smoothly. Here are the builds weakensses

-lacks power to deal w/fire immunes (fireball/meteor/firewall have no effect)
    -has trouble get to monsterts w/a great deal of range
    -mages lack life

Altough the small life of the mages surprised me, I quickly noticed that after a few revies they died very little, even less than regular skeletons as they rarely got hit. The killing speed was pretty good I must say, and it was kind of fun trying out a new build. I will probably start one tommorow.

-Guan Yu

4. Warrior of Light

Warrior of Light IncGamers Member

Why you mention the fetishes? Are they a problem? You have pretty good CE with this setup, haven’t you? Mages kill one fetish for you, CE kill all remaining. =)

Warrior of Light may be wrong, but LR breaks immunities of monsters, doesn’t it?

5. Gouda

Gouda IncGamers Member

My current necromancer has 20 points in raise mage, but is more an overlord, combining about 30 summons, merc and himself in my army. The mages do quite well, but without lower resist their damage is not too good.

The most trouble you'll get is with bosses, because my mages tend to die to Diablo fire ring attack and baal's elemental attacks very quickly. Maybe with the Oak sage and your higher skill levels they will survive better, but these wide area attacks will be your biggest problem.

For a pure Lord of Mages i would suggest something along the lines of what you have build, and raise mostly elemental attackers, so the gloams would be a great choice. A poison back up attack is offcourse also a good plan, but you may not have enough skill points for that.

Minimum:
    20 skel. mastery
    20 raise mage
    1 in all other summoning skills
    1 in all curses
    --
    56 used

assuming you level him a bit, you may have ~40 skill points left. Maybe just enough to build a decent poison attack. Not sure about the synergy possibilities with charges, but should be fun.

Gouda

6. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

Since we've, thankfully, been rather "flame" free lately I'm not going to make a big deal out of this but -

You've participated in MP games
    You've received Giveaways

How did you run a "test" character?

7. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Kept the test character seperate from all other characters and stashes I suppose.

8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I play a LoM in the "Rare Pleasures" tournament. Influenced by the tournament restrictions and my own preferences, I will go a slightly different route than what some people have suggested in this thread.

FYI, here are the tournament main rules:

* Untwinked, and may only use rare items. That means that I will use no charms and no magical jewels. The only allowed socketables other than rare jewels are the runes and gems from the Hellforge and Rescue quests.

* We can gamble rares but if we equip a gambled rare, we may not switch out that item for another gambled rare.

* We get one crafting attempt in NM and one in Hell

* Raise Skeleton and Revive may not be used.

* No skipping or repeating of areas (that´s my own rule)

So, under these circumstances I decided to go with:

Skeleton Mastery: 20
    Raise Skeletal Mage: 20
    Prerequisites, all golems, all curses except Confuse & Attract, Summon Resist: 1
    Bone Prison, Golem Mastery, Dim Vision, Corpse Explosion: a couple -> many points

Merc is currently a Prayer merc, then I will switch over to a Thorns merc in NM. That will add a bigger physical damage component to my gang. A high-level Thorns merc will return more damage than what maxed Iron Maiden would AND will allow me to use another curse (and save 19 points in IM...)

I will try to protect my mages via golem placement, curses and Bone Prison. Teleport charges would also be great for their survival. In fact, I already have that, but it´s unfortunately from an ethereal staff (only 12 charges left).

In time we´ll see how far I´ll get with this build. No matter what, it will be fun!

@Gouda:
    I haven´t had any problems with act bosses. Golem + Iron Maiden have killed the first four (even Diablo, on /p8!), and there is no reason why that shouldn´t work later, too. Since I don´t run them, it doesn´t matter if they take a while to kill.

@Warrior of Light:
    Yes, Lower Resist can break elemental immunities. However, I think it may help a lot simply to adapt the mage types to what immunities you come up against in the different areas. Myself, I think Lower Resist will be a rare luxury I will use in specific situations (like when I have cornered a boss, the golem and merc tanks it and all mages focus on it) and not something I can use most of the time. I will probably need a lot of Dim Vision, Terror, Decrepify or even Life Tap to keep me and my buddies safe.

9. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

:rolleyes: Perhaps we should resurrect the thread that linked to the "test" pack of 7 lvl 99 characters? That way everyone would be able to try out builds before they wasted the time trying them.

So it begins...

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I wondered that myself.
    Well, theres only 1 way to see if he's a honest player. see if he sinks in water. If he does, he's innocent, if he floats, he's a witch..i mean haxx0r, and so should be burned at the stake.
    :thumbsup: :jig: :thumbsup:

11. corax

corax IncGamers Member

if he floated i thought he was a duck

12. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

I bet it was his friend's character.

13. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

I smell "item pack" but since he also said lvl79 merc, it is more likely some kind of editor.

14. corax

corax IncGamers Member

what lvl are the mercs you can hire in hell?

skellie mages are like a the class fatkid on an excursion. they lag behind and get lost. as opposed to the class ADHD kids (revives) who run around and get stuck in things and get lost.

15. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Mine only get lost if they are firing at something and I move away too far (and then it´s really MY fault, becasue I should have stayed and helped them!), otherwise they teleport to my necro (at least almost) without failure.

16. GrandmasAreYummy

GrandmasAreYummy IncGamers Member

Good job keeping the board flame-free shermo! It's that kind of attitude that makes a forum a community. I think everyone got your meaning from your first post. As much as you might disagree with him using an editor, actually, as much as almost all of us disagree with him using an editor, I believe you're the only one who has taken it as a personal affront to your morals and beliefs. You can be critical without being condescending; you should try it sometime.

G-A-Y

17. GodofWar

Yes the character was made using a Diablo 2 Editor that I used to use to test out builds before I made them on battle.net. I am sorry, I didn't think it would offend anyone. I immeadiatly deleted him afterwards. As for the sarcastic remark about the builds well, I didn't wanna waste 10+ hours of my life to see if a build is viable. I am still very new to the SPF and my highest lvl char is 36, so I don't have the luxury of testing out builds to level 80+ when I'd rather be lvling my Fishymancer for mfing.

Thank you all for your replies, I look forward to starting him over the summer as my playing time is now limited due to exams.

-Guan Yu

18. shermo

shermo IncGamers Member

Firstly, the use of an editor does offend me. This forum is a haven for people who want to play SP legitimatley, and using an editor contravenes that.

Secondly; there's a whole lot of knowledge here about builds, both crazy and more mainstream. I think your question was answered in a helpful manner, and I don't think that you had to go off a hack a character and items in order to confirm what people had already told you. I'm sure once people had got to know you and if you'd asked politely, someone would have been happy to donate a trang's set to you.

G-A-Y; I suggest you read over your own post again, particularly the part which says "You can be critical without being condescending; you should try it sometime". I hope that was meant as some sort of ironic joke,

19. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

I view the use of a Character Editor even without it affecting someone as a first sign of possible burning at the stake, and as a way to pimp hacks.

20. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast IncGamers Member

wasn't it that he would be witch eeh... h4xxor(!!11!!one!) if he weighted the same as a duck because he can float if that is the case? ..