Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lord of Destruction expansion

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Jagger2010, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Jagger2010

Jagger2010 IncGamers Member

I bought Diablo 2 years ago but never played it. Recently I reloaded it on my computer and started playing. I am halfway through Act 2 and I am having a blast. I am thinking about buying the Lord of Destruction expansion. Although I am a little confused about the blizzard battlenet. Do I to have an active internet connection to play Diablo 2: LOD?

I bought a new computer a year ago and I have never hooked it up to the internet. And I won't. It still runs the same as straight out of the box. I know as soon as I connect it to the internet, it will start going downhill. So can I play Diablo 2:LOD with a computer which is not hooked up to the internet?

2. Harleycooper

Harleycooper IncGamers Member

no you dont have to be onlinetoplay lod.. whats better is you buy the diablo battlechest..pre much same price plus it comeswith a strategy guide with tables for crafting monsters weakness etc original d2 and lod... roughly 20-30 bucks :). i only playsingleplayer at the moment :). pick it up maybe on ebay or eb games or any decent games store.. lod adds alot to the gameplay ..rune hunting is addictive and new monsties are a plus :). i dont know a great deal about diablo 2 but i can anwer whatever questions i can relating d2 im mew myself 2 weeks :) this site has given me alot of information and noodle has really helped me out with tips here and there.

3. Harleycooper

forgive my typos im using a ps vita its small lol

4. Jagger2010

Thanks HC! I did some seaching and it appears Diablo 3 requires internet connection for play as far as I can tell. Couldn't find much on LOD but I noticed I could get it download for $10 from blizzard net. I am definitely going to pick up LOD or the battle chest. I could definitely use a monster guide.

5. Harleycooper

d3 is online only :( have it as well . its a good game also. the strategy guide is pretty thick come with lots of useful information:). one thing i must mention before you do is... the downside..any players you made on the original d2 wont work on the expansion... but you can create a new game and ge high lvl super fast ..i made a necro and a amazon necro is late 70's amazon 40's plus 3 other chars around 20-30 within the two weeks most have decent gear ont go intodetail but its notall a loss :).

6. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

D2 is fine for offline play. If you pick up the expansion, you're likely to get a version as early as the 1.07 patch. If possible, I'd recommend trying to connect online at least once to upgrade to 1.13. 1.07 can be fun to play, but it has some serious imbalances that were addressed in later versions. I find 1.13 to be the most balanced patch, and it's the one with the highest prevalence of rune drops. Runewords are a lot of fun to build and use. Good luck!

7. Jagger2010

Thanks all. I can download the patch without a problem. I virus screen any files before using a portable hardrive to move the file to my offline computer. I think the greatest danger to a computer is just surfing the internet. I think just about any site can put ugly stuff on my computer which starts degrading performance. So I use an old computer for internet and keep my new one offline.