Loot?

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
Just looking at Quin69's gameplay video it showed a Dol and a Vex rune dropping. Sets appear to be taking more of a back seat in D4 as well. Joe Shelly (1 of 2 lead game designers) has mentioned expansions when discussing content patches. It would appear that this is the monetization model of D4. Pay for (content) patches. Updated with Wolfcryer, Bloodshed, and Simple Combo's videos.

In the developer interview that Rhykker had with David Kim it was mentioned that crafting will be worthwhile. So less of that spin the wheel mechanic we saw in D3 which incidentally was the last straw for me with that game (shards). Charms were also brought up and David said: "if we did something like that we could improve on it". This was in reference to the need to travel back and forth to town just to be more powerful. It was also mentioned that you should be able to find the best items in the game from weak objects like barrels but the odds of it happening are very low or something to that effect. Magic find and Gold find will likely make a return but they don't want it to be a trade off for killing power.

The runes and effects are:
Conditional
Vex "When you use a potion activates the next socketed rune"
Amn "When you freeze an enemy activates the next socketed rune"
Eth "Every 3 seconds without moving actives the next rune"
Fal "When a pet dies active the next rune"
Eld "When you are stunned or frozen activate the next rune"

Activated
Dol "When active gain 50% critical strike chance for 7 secs"
Ko "Reduce a random skill cooldown by 15%"
Sol "When active gain a random shrine effect for 7 secs"
Ist "When active your next thorns hit gains 30% damage"
Thul "When active gain a 500 damage barrier"

It was mentioned that there would be a progression system for runewords. Levelling or scaling them?

Sources:

Last edited:

RyTEK

Diabloii.Net Member
Zod thank you for posting this. I had no idea they were going to allow ppl like Quin69 to post their gameplay.

GUFF

Diabloii.Net Member
So far not liking the linear gear progression which was one of the colossal mistakes of D3.

The parallel progression found in D2 is the superior system for a Diablo ARPG. Multiple item classes or types that are each interesting in their own way need to be able to compete for the top slot and not just one.

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer
Just looking at Quin69's gameplay video it showed a Dol and a Vex rune dropping. Sets appear to be taking more of a back seat in D4 as well. Joe Shelly (1 of 2 lead game designers) has mentioned expansions when discussing content patches. It would appear that this is the monetization model of D4. Pay for patch.
I didn't hear them say pay for patches. I understood it to be that expansions will be the monetization model. Maybe that means several smaller expansions or DLC that we have to pay for. I don't have a problem paying for DLC's and expansions, as long as there are regular updates or patches, that are free like every other game does. Because to me, a patch is a fix for something they either screwed up or was an unintentional result. A DLC or expansion is something different all together.

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
Sh*t. They're doing this again.

"You can expect to get more powerful versions of the same item throughout your progression even in the end game."

That's it. There will be no interesting low level items. Only the items with maximum ilvl will be worth anything, just like in D3. Level scaling items are a terrible idea as the drops will not mean anything until you're at maximum level, which by the way, will be a short burst again instead of a long time goal that isn't meant for everybody.

And by the looks of systems and features -panel today, item affixes look pretty boring. Feels like all I see are "attack", "defence", "crit this, crit that", "cooldown reduction" and "%damage reduced from elites". Simplified and bland. Not the rich variety it could and should be.

I really don't want be negative, but this definitely doesn't seem to be going back to the D1 & D2 roots.

superdave

Diabloii.Net Member
Simplified and bland.
that is the quickest way to get a playable game in the hands of the testers. a lot of people don't remember how different d2 was when it was first announced.

expect a lot of changes between now and even the beta release.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
Does anyone want to take a guess how Ancient items work? The seasonal items.

I can't delete this post but I can say that I have a partial answer for my own question. Go to bludsheds video linked in the source above and skip ahead to 13:01. It shows that you can have ancient legendary or ancient set items. Then mythic both.

Last edited:

the8thark

Diabloii.Net Member
Random question but is loot in D4 instanced like D3 or a free for all rush to get it like in D2?

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Sh*t. They're doing this again.

"You can expect to get more powerful versions of the same item throughout your progression even in the end game."

That's it. There will be no interesting low level items. Only the items with maximum ilvl will be worth anything, just like in D3. Level scaling items are a terrible idea as the drops will not mean anything until you're at maximum level, which by the way, will be a short burst again instead of a long time goal that isn't meant for everybody.

This is comparable to the loot system in Grim Dawn. I don't think it's necessarily bad. Also, like @superdave said, a whole lot will change between now and release. They had to get out something to get playtesting and the demo started.

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member
I am playing Grim Dawn these days and, although I think it is very good so far, also GD has some loot problems. There is way too much stuff dropping, yellow seems the new white here as so mucht is at least yellow, most give a boring small increases of the same things you are wearing. And I wish they brought IDENTIFY back. You know, you find this rare bow while you are looking for a better bow. It is much better to not see immediately what just dropped, but to have a moment of 'what will it be?' before you identify it.

Good drops should be less common and give you this feeling kind of like you open a loot box. Actually for me that moment is what gave D2 a lot of its addiction.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
I am playing Grim Dawn these days and, although I think it is very good so far, also GD has some loot problems. There is way too much stuff dropping, yellow seems the new white here as so mucht is at least yellow, most give a boring small increases of the same things you are wearing. And I wish they brought IDENTIFY back. You know, you find this rare bow while you are looking for a better bow. It is much better to not see immediately what just dropped, but to have a moment of 'what will it be?' before you identify it.

Good drops should be less common and give you this feeling kind of like you open a loot box. Actually for me that moment is what gave D2 a lot of its addiction.
GD is over-rated imo. The astrology skill chart thing is about as good as it got imo. There were a lot of things not to like about it, too many to go into but loot is definitely one of them. Unidentified gear forces you to make a guess as to whether or not the item is likely to be good or not. In many ways having unidentified gear stops you from going through everything and wasting your time. I like it too.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member

GD is over-rated imo. The astrology skill chart thing is about as good as it got imo. There were a lot of things not to like about it, too many to go into but loot is definitely one of them. Unidentified gear forces you to make a guess as to whether or not the item is likely to be good or not. In many ways having unidentified gear stops you from going through everything and wasting your time. I like it too.

Ghonn

Diabloii.Net Member
This is comparable to the loot system in Grim Dawn. I don't think it's necessarily bad. Also, like @superdave said, a whole lot will change between now and release. They had to get out something to get playtesting and the demo started.
Hopefully you're right. I haven't touched GD since like ...2015? It was a good game, but I can't recall level scaling uniques or whatever they were called in that game. I should refresh my memory.

Not accounting the level scaling, I guess my problem regarding affixes is the small affix pool D3 had and D4's current resemblance of that pool. Not a fan of shrinking all stats points (strength, dex, vita and resources) into attack and defence either. Also discarding potentially negative affixes from the pool and ultimately minimizing all thought work into red and green arrow within item description gets a downvote from me.

Visually D4 has potential.

Last edited:

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree that D3 is underwhelming when it comes to item affixes. I hope they'll do it differently in D4.

I probably missed this, but do we get stat points (strength, dex, ...) again in D4, just like in D2?

Arctodus

Diabloii.Net Member
@T72on1 Nah. Only Attack, Defense and Health Points as stats. It’s only a demo after all, but I’m not too confident that we’ll have full stats like in D2.