Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Loot Journal? Ideas for a better loot game

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Monstrous, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Monstrous

Monstrous Diabloii.Net Member

Loot Journal? Ideas for a better loot game

First I'd like to point out what attracted me to the Diablo series and kept me playing all these years, the loot. Loot is what kept me playing into the early hours of the night, doing run after run trying for that one special drop. I didn't care if my character could use the drop or not, half the fun was trading the item for items your character could use.

With the various bits of information on the upcoming Diablo 3 title available it sounds like they are keeping with basic loot game which I'm very happy about it. I have some ideas on what could be added to the game in regards to loot, and I'll try to put one of these ideas into words.

Item Journal - I would love to look back and see what items I had found over the course of my adventure. An item journal could cement these finds into your characters history. Building on this idea, if anyone has tried the MMO Warhammer Online they used a similar method in which you could see what item sets you had equipped during your characters life.

Elaborating on this idea, such possibilities could include:

- collecting items to unlock bonuses even without having the items currently equipped

- lower level set items could be useful even after they had been out leveled by making only one item in the set needed to get the bonuses if you had acquired the other items in the set previously and recorded in your journal

- could be used as the stash itself (this will cause a huge debate, but this allows people who want to try and collect all the loot in the game to have an organized system)

These are just my thoughts feel free add ideas as to what Blizzard could add to make the game better in terms of loot. Thanks for your time.

2. razen

razen Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Loot Journal? Ideas for a better loot game

Though they are appealing ideas... I can immediately point out major flaws:

1) community sharing
    2) system complexity

And I don't quite agree with everyone's take on mule and share stash account. (In some ways, a version of your journal idea) Part of the fun of Diablo item collection is the fact that you must pick and choose what you like. Just like in real life, you can't store everything you like. Mule character is never intended to be part of the game. We, as gamers, just found the loophole and took advantage of it.

Instead, I actually would like to see this instead: penalty for extra storage. For example, you can buy extra stash (ie hire more caravans) but at a cost of gold per day.

A lot of people already keep item journals. They just come in the forms of MS Excel and Word (or whatever Apple uses).

3. chezzmaster

chezzmaster Diabloii.Net Member

I could see a list that is stored on the local computer and changed when a new item is found being reasonable. If course this would make it a lot easier to change outside of the game, so you probably don't want it to grant bonuses or act as the characters inventory.

4. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus Diabloii.Net Member

I liked trying to keep track of which, and how many of each, uniques I found. Something like that would be cool.

5. Typoko

Typoko Diabloii.Net Member

Hi!

Same for me. It doesen't have to give you anything except show what you have found.

WAR had a system that it showed a list of set items that you had found. It had the set, wich items of it you had found and a little lore about the set. This kind of thing for legendarys and sets would be awsome. IMHO this list should be only updated if YOU loot the item, not trade it. This will help you keep track what you have found on your journey.

6. Dahmer

Dahmer Diabloii.Net Member

Never intended? Loophole? What?

I've never used a bot, I traded for duped/hacked items to sell them to vendors, I spent lots of time beating up people used duped/bugged items and now you're here telling me I abused a bug/loophole to have a mule character? I'm sorry but I'm going to need an explanation as to why you think that was never intended...

I'll tell you why it's not a loophole :
    1) people were using mules since the start, several updates/patches came and none of them even changed a thing about it
    2) blizzard is not retarded, if they wanted it to stop they would've stopped it or at least tried
    3) there was 0 effort required, nothing at all, all you needed was a friend to stay in a game while they made it harder and harder to use maphack (eventually banning a LOT of people that still used it)

@item journal idea :
    Would love to keep track of what I found, when I found it & where I found it :D
    Not quite sure what you mean with "collecting items to unlock bonuses even without having the items currently equipped" though =o

7. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus Diabloii.Net Member

It's probably more metagaming than anything else. And metagaming one of the core pillars of d2.

8. Monstrous

Sorry after I read my original post myself I realized I had worded it stupidly. What I meant is once you have equipped the item once, or even just picked up the set item for it to be added to your loot journal than you get the set bonus from that item regardless if you aren't wearing it.

example:

Meatshredder Plate Set (3 pce set)

- Meatshredder gloves (req lvl 10)
    - Meatshredder boots (req lvl 15)
    - Meatshredder helm (req lvl 45)

Lets say while lvling up I had found both the gloves and the boots for the set, once I have reached lvl45 and found the final piece of the set which is the helm I would already out lvl the other pieces considerably. It would be stupid of me to keep the low lvl set, but If my loot journal has marked down as completing the set and I just want to wear the helm than I get the set bonuses for the complete set by just wearing the helm. This would make it worth while to collect the complete set. This allows all loot to be worth something, no matter if it's endgame or not. No more rushing to the end of the game to get the best items / skipping of content or loot.

That's one of the ideas in which a loot journal could be used for.

Regarding some of the other posts I agree, I would love to just track how many/what uniques I've found all together. Even if it's just for bragging rights to my friends/guild.

9. Monstrous

I really enjoyed the WAR lore behind the sets, it would be nice if we could get the same concept for D3 even if it's just sets / legendary items.

10. razen

razen Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, calm down there... I never said it was cheating. It is a loophole. Let's be honest here, if they intended this to happen, then they would have made it easier right? It's like not like it's hard to create a few lines that allow you to mule items. Okay, so maybe "loophole" is the wrong word... unintended side-effect? Lots of thing in this world are unintended... but that doesn't mean people don't enjoy them. Mules aren't wrong in any case (neither did I imply that it was). In fact, compare to the grand scheme of thing, it's such a none issue that Blizzard doesn't even bother fixing it.

(Not even sure why you so worked up, that wasn't even an opionated remark)

-------------------------

Sorry had to take attention away from main topic, while I do not agree that the journal idea should offer any kind of reward/bonus. Maybe there can be a bnet "player" ranking system regarding item find. (Sort of like win/loss record of Starcraft/Warcraft) Like the more items you find, the rating will grade higher percentage (since sets and uniques are finite)

100% earn you an extra title beside the "grandmaster" or whatever

Maybe like... Lucky Charm Grandmaster
    Collector Matriarch
    or something way more creative

11. Silverfang

Silverfang Diabloii.Net Member

I like the general idea of a loot journal. But it should imho be realized as account-wide journal, featuring the item with the best stats found, where you've placed the item (shared stash, charx-body/stash/backpack, sold), where you've found the best version and the total number owned of this item. And that's it. (2nd or 3rd versions of an item still have to be managed by the player himself...)

And I don't like the Set-piece idea. Ok, you could argue that once a connection is made, the connection stays. But that would imho only count for a partial bonus for items not worn.

12. SneakyMilo

SneakyMilo Diabloii.Net Member

Monstrous - I really like the idea of a Loot Journal or Scrapbook. The best moments in Diablo 2 were had playing late into the night with friends doing runs and hoping for good drops. It would be really cool if the game also recorded the characters you were playing with aswell as the date/location/monster/ect. This could also lead into a neat leaderboard function that would rank the best "looters".

13. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idea, it could tie in with the Battle.net-2 account for Diablo 3 (having a record of all the items your characters collected/equipped/traded during your play time, and also would tie in with the achievements system (having few achievements for collecting certain types of items ... i.e collecting 50 different rares/100 different magic/ .. etc etc).

But i have to disagree on the Set Bonus thing, the system of the item journal is cool and all but it should stay as a passive record it shouldn't impact the actual gameplay in any way IMO.

14. Dyuu

Dyuu Diabloii.Net Member

Hear hear. No way that it should affect the gameplay.

But always recording in the background, sure. I've always loved keeping record of such things, back in the days when WoW was played I went nowhere without my addon (Which i forgot the name of) which did just this. Count everything I did. Every monster I slew, and every time my critical hits peaked, time spent idle, time spent in combat, everything. For some reason, I found it good fun. While this was a WoW comparison, I find myself thinking it's an acceptable one :)

15. phaolo

phaolo Diabloii.Net Member

If the Loot Journal is like a "statistic" window, I completely agree. If it's something like an infinite stash.. Blizzard will never do it (but I'd accept it lol).

One thing that I'd really want, however, is a LORE panel. That would add more importance to ingame information.
    Talking with quest NPC, finding notes or bringing items to Cain would reveal secret locations, plot hints and game help.
    Discoveries should be character-enabled, however, so that word spreading couldn't ruin the quests.

Examples (all items would be rare random drops with level req):
    -special scroll > it reveals dungeon location where to search for a random unique weapon appeared just for you (timed lore note). This would also move players in other places than final bosses.
    -old book > ingame explanation of an hidden rare item attribute now enabled just for you. This still requires that you find it, of course. (permanent one-time lore note)
    -puzzle > temporary access to a secret random location opened just for you (timed lore note).
    -clay figurine > reveals monster weakness, enabling +X damage to it from now on (permanent one-time lore note)
    -ancient tome > reveals plot details and gives +X experience (permanent one-time lore note)
    -gem and rare sceptre combined > can open a closed altar with random unique inside (timed lore note).
    -hidden note > describes the items needed to make a set and its final stats when full. This will help making choices in the future (permanent one-time lore note).

These are just some ideas, but the most difficult aspect would be dealing with the multiplayer side and preventing their mass exploiting (es: no scroll searchers\farming).
    I, however, hope that D3 won't become too much arcade and brainless, but that it could bring back some mystery\complexity found in its original chapter.

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  16. Chorkstain

Chorkstain Diabloii.Net Member

This is a sweet idea. It's almost like another set of mini quests. Kind of like achievements with little esoteric rewards.

I hear you man. Diablo had its roots in Rogue-like games and that gritty, mysterious style, with its cryptic shrine messages and NPC monsters were the things that charmed me the very first time. I would love to see this sort of thing return.

17. Bandreus

Bandreus Diabloii.Net Member

The loot journal would be sweet. It just don't have to be implemented into Bnet (and be sure Blizz is not going to do something which means hundreds/thousands more records per player), but as something handled locally on your hard drive could be a great feature.

I'm pretty sure a lore journal has allready been talked about by the devs, though. It should collect every lore piece from quests/books/NPCs.

18. phool

phool Diabloii.Net Member

I'd like a journal. I'm a collector of things like eth uniques, even if I'm never going to use them, so a built in ATMA-like archive would be great, even if items can only be viewed and not withdrawn.

I'd far rather just have a banker npc though who will hold onto an infinite number of items and catalogue them for easy viewing but demand a price for every deposit and withdrawal.

And I want more stats in general... A list to put the GTAs' to shame, ideally. Deaths, boss kills, runes found... you name it.

19. Kokolums

Kokolums Diabloii.Net Member

The flaw with this idea is that if collecting items, trading, and building wealth is what you want to do, you should be playing World of Warcraft and just farm and play the auction house. I'm not sure how D3 can compete with WoW on this front. D2 was great for farming and building wealth in its day, though.

On the other hand, I could understand that if given a choice between paying $15 month for the ultimate in wealth-building fun, or a game with no monthly fee that offers slightly less in that regard, you might go with D3.

20. phool

phool Diabloii.Net Member

WoW's loot system can't hold a candle to D2's and I'm sure it won't to D3's.

Are you aware of the thriving community of grailers diii's SPF hosts? I mean, what/who is this even directed at - this thread seems to be about recording drops more than buliding in-game wealth.