Loose the 'Life status bars' on monsters!

Arkardo

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Loose the 'Life status bars' on monsters!

There should at least be any indication about the monsters condition (a hurt monster would tend to flee, bleeds, hunches over, etc.) and/or how much damage you're dealing (how the hit recovery looks, amount of blood lost, some other kind of indicator for how well you struck considering your min/max damage, etc.)

My $0,02.

Gigashadow

Banned

I like the life bars where they are simply because I am staring at the MONSTER when I'm attacking him, and looking at the top of the screen is annoying and even dangerous sometimes.

Speaking of indicators, we already have numbers on critical hits.

But no fleeing monsters, please, that's very annoying.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally I'd like to see them out of the centre of the screen. Stick 'em back up top where the were and not in my way when I'm whacking stuff. The bars are too long to be centre screen.

fully agree, looks much better at the top

Bad Ash

Diabloii.Net Member

I like the life bars, but think there should be an option to toggle them on and off. just too mix things up if you get bored, add onto that replayability baby!

sh25

Diabloii.Net Member

I think they shud get rid of the bars but still show the condition of the monster.

Like if he's getting close to dying he can get slower and do less damage. Maybe even one of his limbs cud fall off lol.

Idk if any of you have played the game command and conquer but that how it works on there. Its not a rpg but I think the same concept would work great on diablo.

teh_Thrasher

Diabloii.Net Member

DO NOT remove them. just give the people that dont want them the ability to turn them off in the options screen

Vadoff

Diabloii.Net Member

Personally I'd like to see them out of the centre of the screen. Stick 'em back up top where the were and not in my way when I'm whacking stuff. The bars are too long to be centre screen.
I'd prefer having this option as well, just like how it was in d2.

sectoid

Diabloii.Net Member

One good answer to this problem is to only show health bars and other info after you killed X monsters of that type. That's somewhat common and I think it's better than having no health bars or always having them.

For bosses, they could show the health bar but not the status modifiers until you landed Y hits or stayed at the same screen of the monster for Z time. Maybe they could also be displayed after they became obvious, for both normal monsters and bosses (example: if the monster has a % chance of chain lightning when hit, it would show only after you triggered it for the 1st time).

Obviously it would be awesome to see in-model modifications in real time, like bruises, dismemberments that do not kill, enemy/hero becoming slower (although this one would hurt the fast pace of the game) and such, but I don't think we'll see this type of thing in D3.

I also agree that D1's music was more scary and added more to the setting overall, but I didn't dislike D2's.
edit: forgot to mention that D1's narrator was also great!

Romak

Diabloii.Net Member

Okay, here is what I think.

I'll start with the good things; the boss health bars. With the tradition of the top screen health bars, the boss bar is doing well. Since it doesn't float above the boss, it will always appear in the same place regardless of the size of the boss (The Siege Beast's "above head" area is barely visable). Also, it doesn't disappear if you dont keep your cursor on the boss - In D3 we are going to have alot of tactical actions, like preforming a leap to a more strategic location. Actions that does not include targeting the boss, so having his bar visable all the time is handy. Very good

The problem starts with the little creeps.

Current System:
Click - Example Image
This is what Blizzard came up with for D3... floating bars. For this, I have both good and bad points of view.
Good: Since it appears very close to the creature you're targeting, you don't have to move your eyes away from the battle, where the action takes place. you're eyes are always in the center of the screen both for the visual hacking&slashing and checking your enemies health, keeping you 100% in the heat of battle
Bad: It's bad for the visual aspect. The health bars block and hide a large area of the battle, so while it's doing the job, keeping your eyes on the fight, it also takes away from the visual interest and makes it feel like you're fighting a pack of health bars and not monsters.

Diablo 2 System:
Click - Photoshoped Example Image
The old fashion D2 system. The goods and bads of this system are exactly the opposite of those of the new D3 system.
Good: Doesn't 'hide' the battle and is placed in a location that is usually dead and unimportamt anyway.
Bad: Takes you're attention away from the heat of battle. You're eyes are doing all the way from the center of the screen to the top just to check when are you going to kill the creep.

My Idea for the New System:
Okay, here we basically got the origianl D3 system. Then, I took the health bar, made it half as wide, half as high and 50% transparent. So now it doesn't really block your way with it's intense red ^^ It's harder to see now, but I really think this could work.

I saw that some people think there shouldn't be any health bars at all... for that I have to say that it's really going to be frustrating. (also you can't really compare that to FPS, although I really liked Bioshock's health bars :)).

I can say that it will be impossible to play the game without health bars. Also, health bars serve as indication of the selection of the monster. It's easier to know if you target a monster when a bar pops up when you do.... it sounds weird, but trust me. In Titan Quest, things like 'graves' which you need to click don't have anything pop up when you target them so you can never know if you clicked them. Indicator is a must, so if there is one... why not make it show your enemies' health?

delosombres

Diabloii.Net Member

My Idea for the New System:
Okay, here we basically got the origianl D3 system. Then, I took the health bar, made it half as wide, half as high and 50% transparent. So now it doesn't really block your way with it's intense red ^^ It's harder to see now, but I really think this could work.
No, it couldn't. When you will have 20 enemies on the screen plus spell/skill effects plus red/violet-like background...