Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looks like Dubya's buddies are getting the Iraq reconstruction funds

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SirKnightmare, Mar 12, 2004.

1. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

Looks like Dubya's buddies are getting the Iraq reconstruction funds

His buddies get the tax cuts and this, I'm not sure but that does not look like a good president. But you know it is all he can do, be a puppet and make up his own words. I wouldn't misunderestimate his strategery.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=/ap/20040311/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_contracts_3

To quote John Kerry, they are the most "the most crooked, you know, lying group I've ever seen." Aww and they want an apology, too bad they don't mention what he is talking about.

2. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Old news. This happens a lot.

3. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

This is off topic, but could someone please explain to me why Dubya is an acronym for GWB? I just don't get this. You can PM me or explain it here. Thanks in advance.

4. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Dubya is what a mentally-deficient Texan sounds like when they say the letter "w" out loud.

5. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

**GASP** OH, my... I never knew that

Thanks for the explanation.

6. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Trading campaign funds for contracts is hardly new, and there doesn't seem to be any good way to make it stop. The sad thing is it has become standard in the industry....a cost of doing business really. i really wish there was something that could be done to stop the terrible rampant corruption, in both parties, in every level.

i am a bit defeatist about this...not my usually vocal self mostly because i live in "Crook" county in IL (chicago and surrounding) and i get to hear aobut old governeor ryan, mayor Daily (Daily as in how often you hear him on the radio defending himself for some scandal or another), and his little puppet aldermen. Luckily I'm not in Chicago city proper, so i don't have to deal with him all the time...and he doesn't directly affect my property taxes.

This case pales in comparison with the things I've heard over the years. at least the contractor performed some sort of service(anyone hear an idling truck?)

<sigh>

7. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

This is not unheard of. Companies bankroll a politician's campaign in hopes that that candidate will one day return the favor. It's shady but thats how things are done in Washington. The days of drawing posters and decorating them then hanging them out on the hall ways are over. It cost millions to have a full campaign. Certainly nothing a politician can easily have without generous contributions.

8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

That's the problem though. Aren't contracts supposed to be awarded to the company that will make the best product for the dollar spent? Remember, whent eh governemtn picks a contractor, they're spending my money. If you were the one making the descion...with your money...and you didn't get any "generous" contributions, wouldn't you pick that contractor instead of the one that got gave the most money to some politician? I don't think it's out of line to wish things worked teh way they're supposed to. i don't thinkI'm out of line to think the system is currently broken.

What i want is a way to fix it. You can't vote the mayor out of office, there are more dead people voting in chicago than alive it seems, and you can't prosecute him...he owns everyone everywhere...it's a terrible situation...and whenever he gets caught he fires someone and then gets them some job in the private sector. no one can pin him down. At least the president is limited to just two terms...Too bad teh democrats couldn't come up with someone better.

9. Talon0835

Talon0835 IncGamers Member

I read a very in-depth article in The New Yorker concerning Chesne and Haliburton. Let's just say...it pissed me off. >_<

10. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Are large corporations more likely to have Republican ties? just given what they believe it would seem to hold true, even though I have no facts. And big reconstruction projects certainly require large corporations to do the job. Most just can't handle that much work.

11. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Aero, when you hire someone to do a job, any job, don't you usually look at that person's resume? Don't you at least glance at previous projects to see what that person has done and what the quality of that project was? I wouldn't hire an architect if I knew she designed ugly, low-quality buildings. I wouldn't hire a teacher who consistently slacked off and didn't know her stuff. And I certainly wouldn't hire a company that has mismanaged a 20 year, multi-billion dollar project in Boston to oversee an ever bigger, more expensive project in Iraq. Haliburton screwed up the Big Dig in ways that are ridiculous and costly...imagine what they could with Iraq, with zero federal oversight and zero checks or balances on their spending.

12. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Haliburtion may have bollocksed up the big dig, but that has no bearing on the OP's topic.

Make a new post if the Big Dig gets your pants in a twist, Anyee. I call strawman. Yes, it goes to credibility. Yes, Haliburton is the evil. Spin on, sister.

The irony is that without LBJ, Haliburton wouldn't be what it is today. Damn Democrats. Look up Brown and Root if you get a chance. Or you could read the first volume of the LBJ biography. In fact, y'all should read it. But, you won't.

13. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Erm, you're implying that everyone who pays taxes in the US is Bush's "buddy"?

And "Dubya" is just how people with a southern accent often pronounce "W". No "mental deficiency" required.

14. Plum

Plum IncGamers Member

The "Dubya" thing is apparently based on how Bush Jr. himself actually says it.
    So Duped's definition actually works either way. :D

On a more relevant note- I don't believe that Bush alone should be held directly responsible if some mutual back scratching is actually going on. I'm inclined to lean towards AeroJ's stance on this issue in that the majority of companies that apply would probably be more likely to have Republican connections. Beyond that, the article does point out cases in which Republican ties certainly couldn't have been the motive for the awarding of the contract, since there was a lack of them.

15. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

You have a lot to learn about American politics.

16. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Haliburton? Or Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff??

Honestly, I am a bit confused.

That is normal for me at times.

17. SirKnightmare

SirKnightmare IncGamers Member

His tax cuts favor the rich, there is not much to it.