Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for V/T Advice

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by HappyAssassin, Aug 29, 2006.

1. HappyAssassin

HappyAssassin IncGamers Member

Looking for V/T Advice

Hi pally forum. I've been playing a WW/Trap hybrid for a long time now, and I want to try a new character. I read the V/T guide in the compendium, and I've settled on a Smite heavy V/T. Besides that fact that I will use grief on my pally (I don't know why it's not in the guide), I'm looking for useful advice. I generally GM duel. My current thought for gear is:

Shako: Ber
    Enigma (Archon Plate, not sure on this)
    Bloodfists
    U'pd Hoz: Ber
    Dungos
    BA Grief
    Maras
    Raven
    BK
    No clue for the boots. Gore Riders don't seem like a great option.

CTA (I've heard that a good trick with this is to make your CTA in a +3 FoH, +3 Conviction Scepter, this seems interesting, if I did it, I'd probobly have a Hoz on this switch also.
    Spirit

I have a few worries. One, I've never played a character that relied on high def. Will I have enough defense with a Max'd Holy Shield?
    I've also only played a paladin a little, and the aura switching stuff is complicated. Is there are good set of hotkeys or a trick to doing it perfect?

Basically, I'm looking for good advice for the top V/T players. Tips, tricks, ideas about gear, whether or not to Life Tap, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

V/T isnt a high def build normally, as most hybrid-type builds dont usually rely on defense. I'd go with a Dusk Enigma since the requirements allow you to go base Strength and the real difference in defense shouldn't matter much for V/T. I also wouldn't up the HoZ, especially with Grief, unless you make the requirements anyways (i.e. don't spend hard points on up'd HoZ it isn't worth it).

The key to all V/Ts that have beaten me is aggressiveness, they Charge or TeleSmite (or both) and if you stay to fight its just like a Smiter duel but if you run too far you get FoH'd (if you get Conviction on you it could be GG at that point).

My T/V sorta sucked because I focused too much on facets and not enough on DR, Resists and Life. It look like your'e doing allright in that department however.

As far as tips I can tell you that Conviction as a V/T is not used as much as you'd think, and using FoH shouldn't be limited to ranged opponents or when you do land a Conviction; you can use FoH to startle opponents or make them stop, in which case they get Charged, Smiten, FoH'd (to put them in recovery animation) then Smiten to death. It's a good combo.

3. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

Looks good. My v/t is also smite heavy his gear is very similar to yours:
    ber'd shako
    maras
    grief pb (zerk in stash)
    nigma mp
    up'd ber'd hoz
    ik gloves (have 20ias +str gloves, and up'd bloodfists in stash)
    2xBk rings (ravens in stash)
    dungos
    +65 life waterwalks (treks, marrowwalks in stash)

when I foh I just hit w and swtich to this cta and spirit (thought about useing hoz). After I bo I set the right skill to conv so as soon as I hit w I have foh on the left and conv on the right. Then I can switch between smite/fanata and foh/conv with the push of 1 button. As for charms I use 9xP combat lifers (rangeing from 14-34 life), torch , anni, 6x20 life small sc's and 4x 17+life/8+ single res sc's. I have 4.4k life, max block, 4k foh, lvl 18 conviction (without spending any pts in it), and 3.3k smite. My resisitances are not max'd they are only in the 60's but if I really need res that bad I have a perf um'd kiras in my stash.

4. RetroStar

RetroStar IncGamers Member

Gearwise:

I prefer 2soc CoA for the resist and DR. Though you will haev to add points to str to use this but worth it. I str bugged my BerBer one and lost it. :point:

You might consider dracs for BM times because you will lose in pubs without lifetap vs. other smiters if they use tap. Simple as that.

Also you do not hit the last bp for smite using a mara. You might wanna use a IAS glove with CB or Highlords.

Boot, I prefer tri resist boots for pubs and gore for GM duels.

Maxing HS isn't that effective for boosting defense and the difference between 1pt and maxed is probably 3-5k defense.

AND. I SAY T/V > V/T cuz of Grief. I've made both and not alot of builds can take down my T/V. MAX fps Grief Smite + 7k FoH (on switch) is hard to kill. :badteeth:

P.S. If anyone suggests Grief PB over Zerk for PvP. That is nuts. Range on Zerk is valuable vs. smiters/zealots/fury/conc/ww/ANY MELEE. They say repairing Zerk is a pain but hey! if you kill enough you'll get your share of gold. :scratch:

Also what realm you on. I have a decked out T/V and V/T on EastNL if you want duels or tips. *star.

5. HappyAssassin

HappyAssassin IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Sadly I won't be making a V/T after all, as I was completely cleaned on my account. Amoung the casualties, a 39/400 grief BA, a 9 30+ pally combats, lotta 20/5s. Sad day. Good luck with your paladins!

6. Desi

Desi IncGamers Member

Ah..boo, too bad you didnt end up making that v/t...you helped me alot with my sin : ), i cud have been a help to you...i had a really good v/t, also, anyone that has a v/t visit OP smite.1337 to get ranked amongst some of the best v/ts (non lad east only folks)