Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by ericbres, Feb 18, 2004.

1. ericbres

ericbres IncGamers Member

Looking for some advice

Well ... unfortunately D2 is becoming somewhat of a drag. To the point where I got on the computer last night and played Ghost Recon rather than Diablo!
    I have one of each character class, so I can play each one to break things up a bit.
    But ... they are all about ready to take on normal Baal and I am finding their gear just ins't up to par. I do have a lvl 78 Orb/Hydra sorc ... but she seems to get whalloped when I try to do some MF runs. I pretty much designed her with the best gear I found to help her actually complete the quests. So her MF is low ... and she can't just mow-down packs of monsters at will (I had distributed some stat points in other things such as static, energy sheild, thunder storm and chain lightning just in case I run into a fire/cold immune).

I am using an Act2 Prayer Merc ... whom can't even last long in a pack of zombies ... let alone anyone who packs a punch.

So ... my questions are ...
    1. Should I get a different Merc?
    2. If so, what Merc?
    3. Where is the best place to level a Merc?
    4. Where is the best place to SAFELY and quickly level myself? Obviously running the Throne in Hell is useless to me ... because at some point either I (or my Merc)die too often or it simply takes too long because I need to properly spend some more skill points properly.
    5. Should I focus skill points in masteries? I believe I only have 6-7 in each.

I know these answers can all be found with some searching around ... but what is the fun in that? I am giving you all a new thread to post in ... get those numbers up! :thumbsup:

2. ericbres

Forgot to mention ...
    Yes, there have been members in the forum who have offered to give me some gear to help me on my way. (including the ever-elusive unique ... Trout of Face Smashing ... or whatever it was :lol: )
    But to be honest ... it wouldn't be the same as finding the loot on my own.

Although I GREATLY appreciate all who have offered ... truly the group who are members here are a class above the rest!

3. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

Well, my lvl 82 wind druid uses a Act 2 Def. merc from hell, hes also lvl 82, and I run the pits, lvlin myself quite well, and my merc lvls with me. He adds to the defense, without him i have about 1k def, but with him it jumps to 4.2k, so it help greatly, and his def is about 9k, so he doesnt die much, can usually take on hell baal without loosin too much life (granted I do give him full reguvs here and there). Hes wearing perf. Shaft, perf. Gaze, and Ariocs needle. Now I understand that those items arnt the most common to find, and I would be willing to help you get them, but as you said yourself, you would like to find them on your own. Which makes sense, but If ya need anything my account is DS_PhsycoTimmay, Im usually on each night for a couple of hours.

4. GIR

GIR Banned

I'm the one person that's probably never played a Sorc. Hah.

But, what I can tell you is ditch the Merc. While that was actually the first one I ever tried out from Act 2, it just doens't work all that great. The life regenerate is just too slow acting to be at all effective against the heavy hitters, like Baal.

If you just plan on running Baal endlessly, skip the Holy Freeze Merc, too, as it doesn't work against Act bosses as I understand it.

Blessed Aim Merc - Being a Sorc, unless you've built and Enchantress or something, you don't need AR. (Not to mention Enchant adds AR for you, if you were to use it.)

Thorns Merc - Let's face it, in my opinion these are even less useful than the Prayer Mercs. Monster damage done vs. their Life, especailly in Hell, makes Thorns hardly noticeable. Next please.

That leave Might and Defiance Mercs. I think each can be used effectively, it really comes down to preference/equipment available to them.

Might Merc - Again, as a Sorc, you're not going to be getting yourself into much melee, and I would think certainly not agains Baal, but, if you have a high damage weapon for you Merc, it can greatly improve him and his damaging capabilities, which makes this plenty valuable.

Defiance Merc - Same thing with a Might Merc, you really shouldn't be getting yourself into close quarters as a Sorc if you're actually using some tactics and not just standing there firing off spells. A few exceptions might be Carvers and the like, since they tend to like to swarm, as everyone knows, but they get dropped by a quick spell, so that's not really an issue. Where this shines will be again on your Merc. If your Merc has some good high Defense armor, this could be useful, as in my observations Baal's most damaging attack is him using his melee attack at close range, which is where your Act 2 Merc would be. So, if with his Aura on, Baal has a low chance to hit him due to high defense, then this can be plenty valuable as well.

So, now it's up to you:
    Might - Faster killing, but more hits potentially taken.
    Defiance - Slower kiling, but less hits potentially taken.

Of course there's also 3 other Acts of Merc, as well.

Rogues - Never brought on into Baal, but I imagine that if he teleported onto her, she wouldn't hold out too long. Plus, I find they spend more time running away from things than actually helping. Also, I'm not sure if they have high enough damage at higher levels to be of any real use.

Act 2 Elemental Mercs - If you're worried about immunes, these can be a better investment than spreading your skill points too thin into other Skill Tees, like I think you did. They also have the ability to equip a shield, which can be used to more resistances and useful things like that. Same thing goes for their sword, because while I've heard they'll occasionally melee, I've never actually seen it myself, so a high damage weapon isn't required at all. However, I think that an Act 2 Merc would do a much better and faster job at clearing some Elemental immunes, and as a Sorc you can clear any Physical Immumes that get in his way, or even use something with Amplify Damage charges, or a % Chance to cast Amplify Damage on Striking weapon.

Act 5 Barbarian Mercs - I've personally never used one, so someone else will have to fill you in on the pros and cons of them.

Simply put, Act 2 Might or Defiance Merc would be my choice.

Oh, and something with Lower Resist charges can be very useful to you, as well. Keep an eye out for those.

5. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy IncGamers Member

First off why are you guys offering suggestions on A2 mercs. Sure they are great for melers, but this is a caster. If he is having problems dieing, then hands down he needs a act 5 merc. equiped properly they can have decent mf, and with a nice sword excelant damage.
    you need this merc to tank for you so you can stand back and blast away some orbs.
    Also it seems to me that you have to diversified of a build. If you want a fast kill mfer, try a blizzard/static sorc. maybe ad some into orb. Synergies are your friend in .10.
    Look in the stagy compedium for build sugestions. You cant go wrong there. These are som what cookie cutter builds, but if your poor, these kind of builds can get you up and running a bit faster.
    Good Luck,
    Beastie

6. sutra

sutra IncGamers Member

Well i dont know your skills exactly but if u use orb and hydra as tour main u should invest points in the masterys... it help the dameage a lot...

I use an act 2 nm merc and the really important thing is to find good solid gear for him... he hold down the beasts and my meteor do the rest...

7. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

Yes, act 5 merc is a good tank equiped properly, but so is a Act 2 defiance merc, mine has 9k def, like I said, and he tanks wonderfully, he will tank just about anything thats put infront of him, but then again, its a matter of choice, and gear.

Good Luck with the merc.

8. ericbres

Thanks for the advice guys ...
    I am going to print this out and try out some of the mercs recommended tonight and tomorrow night. Thru the Pits as well rather than Baal.

Wife is working Saturday, so I should have a good solid 6-7 hours of working on this. Maybe if I could at least level 7-8 up ... maybe I can get my skills focused properly too.

Once again ... thanks for the help guys ... and if you are bored Saturday, my account is ericbres on us east. Feel free to join me.