Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for people to interview

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by liquidicem, Mar 17, 2004.

1. liquidicem

liquidicem IncGamers Member

Looking for people to interview

Before I start, the post has been oked by Gaile, so no flaming please.

All right here is the deal, I am writing a paper for my college psychology class about internet gaming. I have chosen D2 as the central focus of my paper because it is one of the few online games that has kept me entertained over the years.

I have already interviewed several "legit" players of various skill levels and commitments. No I need to get the other side of the coin. I truly would like to talk to some people who make a lot of money from this game. IE: people involved with the massive rune duping on the ladder who sell on ebay would be perfect candidates for interviews.

I do not expect to find many, if any people like that on these forums, but I still had to ask. If there is someone reading this who falls into this category, please send me a private message or an email at [email protected]

Again, this post is not saying that cheating is ok in any way. But, we all know that it happens and I need to take to someone from the dark side. And please no flaming in this thread. Thanks!

2. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Hello,

I'm a second year graduate student in neuroscience who recently received IRB approval for a totally different study. Looking at your post, I see a few problems that I think you should explain.

It is in bad professional form to repeatedly say "no flaming please." I know that kids in here can be brutal, but by saying "no flaming" you're more likely to incite it.

Calling dupers "the dark side" already implies that you have passed judgement on them. One of the most important aspects of scientific research is impartiality. You have already admitted bias in your recruitment. Your results, therefore, are 100% suspect of showing that bias and are thus invalidated before you even start.

This means, therefore, that your research is being conducted without the oversight of a review board. I'd feel much better about your work if I knew your mentor had approved the text of this post.

I hope that you consider these points very carefully before proceeding with your recruitment.

3. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

I would suspect that this is for a low-level college psych class and not for graduate level research, hence no research review board. Its probably more of a report, than honest-to-god research. I could be wrong though.

Good luck finding your info :)

4. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

nevermind the fact that you are looking at the wrong place to find dupers and such. I've found that the tendency of the people in these forums are geared to be more honest legit types....that is, the tendency....indeed, good luck.

5. Fearox

Fearox IncGamers Member

Try to contact the dupers by contacting the buyers. You know where to find 'em...

6. liquidicem

Anyee I appreciate your input, but as adamfgt78 correctly guessed, this is for a lower level class. As for refering to the dupers as the dark side, that was just another attempt on my part to make sure that this thread does not become a flame fest. I know that probably 99.9% of the people that read this will not have anything to do with duping and selling items. I am just hoping that the 0.1% of people who read this post and are involved in that aspect of gaming will be able to see that I was just trying to maintain the integrity of the thread and privately contact me. Thanks for anyone who as looked so far!

7. Rigel Kent

Rigel Kent IncGamers Member

A good place to start is by looking at the sites that get spammed on battle.net-- both the item vendors and the hacks & cheats pages. (Don't download any executables or give any passwords, of course!) Follow links until you find the somewhat more... ah... "permissive" forum boards that exist out there.

Also, many of the authors of well-known Diablo II hacks maintain forum boards of their own... navigate the usual "hlp my acct got deleted why????" posts and you might be able to find some more knowledgeable people hidden here and there.

8. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

Hrm...according to that logic, my undergrads could go around electrocuting the psych students without IRB approval. By all means, though, drop me the name of your college and I'll ask them myself. :)

9. liquidicem

Anyee, I don't think you understand what I trying to do. This is a research paper, not an experimental study. We are supposed to use the internet and library to locate information for our papers. I'm trying to go a little above this and interview people as an additional source for my paper. This is just a typical undergratuate research paper. I just have an actual interest in the subject, therefore I'm trying to dig into the subject a little deeper.

10. toader

toader Banned

Dont worry about Anyee. Just go on conducting your research, if she offers some advice you think you might need, by all means use it. But otherwise she generally tries to dampen peoples days in general. Dont let it get to you.

11. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

If you want a suggestion, go to the Blizz Hackers forum (search for it on google or something). I haven't registered there or anything, but I have read it a little, and I have to say, that while the types of people there are the hackers/dupers that you need, some of them are quite knowledgeable about what they do, and they're not the normal stereotype noob-calling pubby bnetters that you normally encounter.

I'm not trying to compliment the people there for what they do, but if I were you, I'd go and post this there.

12. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Wow, that sounds like you traveled to a completely different realm....

13. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

I've never heard someone ever portray her accurately.

As for you Anyee what is this? We all know your intellegent you don't need to wave your degree and what not in everyone's face. Are you trying to give yourself a self-esteem boost or are you on that big of an ego trip?

You just came in here and picked their post completly apart and told them that it wasn't good enough and to redo it? If I was liquidicem I'd be angry at your arrogance.

14. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Whoa, man, back off. Anyee was just offering her opinion, as what these forums are all about. What Anyee says is quite valid and truthful, and can be taken into account. What's it matter to you if she has higher standards then some other people?

15. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

What's that supposed to mean? No, wait, actually I don't want to know.

16. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Too bad. I'm answering :uhhuh:

I'm just so used to this one forum, the ideals set behind it, and the kind of geeks that float around here. It seems kinda foreign to me to even think of another forum that has people just as geeky, but know just as much....I'm so used to thinking of B.Netters as being noobish folk...says something of my own inexperience, I suppose.

17. discoboomer

discoboomer IncGamers Member

thats one of the bad things I have found in grad school, you learn to pick apart studies very well. However at some point you should learn some perspective, this is not a dissertation, or even a thesis. I woudl have thought that any psych major has done these lil experiments without irb approval, they are harmless.

but good luck finding the dupers, I would try either the aforementioned blizz hackers, or email an ebay seller.

18. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

Theres no need to back off. Shes forever flashing the fact thats shes smarter then the average poster. Maybe she enjoys the attention? And as for her offering her opinion, I did the same. My opinion was just directed towards Anyee's personallity.

19. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Regardless, you are in no position to judge her as an attention seeker. Furthermore, she's only smarter than the average poster if you let her be such. It's your own character fault to allow such a downriding on your own imbecility. Now...back to the topic?

20. liquidicem

I have no problem with her trying to show that she is smart. I am very comfortable with my intelligence. I'm not even a pysc. major, it’s just a liberal arts elective class that I'm taking. I am an honors student chemical engineering major in the number one undergraduate program in the US. I'm very open to any suggestions that people offer.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be sure to check it out. Also, thanks to everyone who has offered their ideas and input so far.