Looking for Music Recommendations or Suggestions

Leopold Stotch

Diabloii.Net Member
(does a thread like this already exist? I know of the Covers thread and What are you listening to but no recommendations thread comes to mind. sorry if this is a repeat thread)

Specifically looking for doom metal, but I'm open to anything gloomy, sorrowful, something that really taps into depression and thrives on it. Asking for myself. :grin:

If Dredd suggests any Radiohead songs, I'm already on it, homie. ;)

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
Was gonna say, I listen to music generally in order to feel at least mellow, if not happier.

Several of The Police songs would fit Leo's description, but she seems to be looking for children's music. {/sarc}

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Was gonna say, I listen to music generally in order to feel at least mellow, if not happier.

Several of The Police songs would fit Leo's description, but she seems to be looking for children's music. {/sarc}
Nonsense.

You listen to music to make the Baby Obama cry. That's why you do it.

Dredd

D3 Off Topic Moderator
I don't know. The Doom metal I listen to taps more into the sinister/mischievous/nihilistic/edgelord categories and lacks the somber tone you're looking for. One notable exception might be Katatonia's Dead End Kings (2012). The whole album is one extended wrist-slitter but the opening track in particular, "The Parting" is misery incarnate.

Other Genres (much easier):
Mazzy Star - entire discography:
  • She Hangs Brightly (1990) - Least depressing album but still a must have.
  • So Tonight That I Might See (1993)
  • Among My Swan (1996) - Best album. Good starting point.
  • Seasons of Your Day (2013)
  • I'm Less Here [CDS] (2014)
Some stand-out tracks (from various albums): "Fade into You", "Five String Serenade", "Unreflected", "Into Dust" (omg), "Flowers in December", "Rhymes of an Hour", "Still Cold" (love this one to death), "All Your Sisters", "I've Gotta Stop", "Does Someone Have Your Baby Now?".

Loreena McKennitt - "The Highwayman" (from The Book of Secrets, 1997) - this song is so sad that I always skip it when listening to the album.

Johnny Cash - All of his albums from the "American Recordings" series are amazing, but the real punch to the gut comes from American IV: The Man Comes Around (2002). His cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt" is brilliant and genuinely painful to listen to.

Portishead - "Roads" - preferably the live version from Roseland, NYC Live (1999).

UNKLE - "Rabbit in Your Headlights" (feat. Thom Yorke) - from Psyence Fiction (1998).

Natalie Merchant - "My Skin" and "The Living" (from Ophelia, 1998).

If Dredd suggests any Radiohead songs, I'm already on it, homie. ;)
Oh, I see how it is. You think you're going to stop me from preaching the One True Gospel. Well, I'll have none of it, sister! If you're truly "on it", then you'll have picked up their most recent album, A Moon Shaped Pool (2016). It's easily one of their best LPs (top three for sure). All 11 tracks are amazing (okay, "Identikit" is kind of a stinker), but "Daydreaming", "Decks Dark" and "True Love Waits" (the saddest song ever written if you've read the backstory) have everything you're asking for (minus the doom metal part :p ).

Also going to recommend Thom Yorke's Tomorrow's Modern Boxes (2014). Dark. Chilly. Anxious. Alienating. Challenging. Check out "Guess Again!".

You'll be downright miserable after all this so you might want to ask for uplifting tracks next.

Well, list them! She's looking for recs, Merv. Good grief! :D

T72on1

Diabloii.Net Member
Doom metal? I'm usually a happy and optimistic kind of person, but everyone needs a good shot of doom and misery once in a while !!!

• Ahab: all 4 albums, although The Boats of the Glenn Carrig is my favourite, and The Giant has some parts I'm not into so much.
  • My Dying Bride: mainstream for the genre, but still, they put out so much quality I can't not recommend them
  • Doom:VS: all 3 albums are top notch funeral doom; quality songs, good production
  • Swallow the Sun: more variation than bands like Doom:VS and Ahab, so if misery and depression is all you are looking for, this might not be for you; only discovered them myself a while ago, so can't give any particular album recommendations
  • Skepticism: the organ gives their music a very specific touch

Leopold Stotch

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks, y'all! I've got some really good stuff here and I'm looking forward to diving into it like hot chick in a pool of warm sausages.... All the sausages: breakfast, Italian, chorizo, smoked, kielbasa, ALL OF THEM.

After all these years, I still cannot listen to "True Love Waits."

Barl

Diabloii.Net Member
See my post in the "what are you listening to" thread about Devil Doll, the Italian/Slovenian band that was active from 1988~1996.