Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for BEST all around melee build... PvP

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by JayfeziE, Apr 4, 2004.

1. JayfeziE

JayfeziE IncGamers Member

Looking for BEST all around melee build... PvP

I can make an extremely godly Paladin right now. The question is what kind should I make? I told myself that I don't want to be another Hammerdin, and I don't really want to use spells as my main line of offense. I also play a S/S Barbarian, with Enigma, so for the most part, I appreciate melee, but I like a melee that has versatility, and with experience and intelligence, can kill anything. That's why I loved my Barbarian, whirlwind combined with teleport I was nearly unstoppable. But I want to try something different.

The next thing I want is a Paladin. I looked over the guides and it amazed me at how many different types of effective Paladin builds there can be. I liked the Zealot guide, but I thought myself that being a Zealot would have it's disadvantages against opponents that utilize range. Here is a breakdown of what I'm looking for in my ideal Paladin build in order from most important, to least:

1) Utilizes melee.
    2) Very versatile, not easily countered.
    3) Not a Hammerdin.
    4) Can utilize spells (ie. FOH), but does not rely on them.

I can virtually get any item for the build that I really and truly wanted, so gear is not a problem, if it's an expensive build to make effective, please mention it anyway. Also, please mention what types of characters and/or builds the build you mention is good/bad against.

If anyone would like to give any feedback, tips, or testimonies, please feel free. Or you can contact me on USWest (I play ladder), my account is *Exid_54.

Thanks!

Exid

2. Guy_LeDouche

Guy_LeDouche IncGamers Member

You should build a Vindicator/Templar. That seems to be the build your kinda describing there. Uses FOH but not exclusively and Smite. If you want to make a really nice one, then its gonna kinda be expensive.. although all good chars are. Mine uses an enigma mageplate, ber shako, Asteron's +4, Exile/UM'ed HOZ, Impshanks, bloodfists, rare ammy, verdungo's, and a raven and weddingband. 10 combat gcs and life/resist small charms/ annilus. all told, his foh gets to like lvl 37+ and is quite effective. The smite is good too. I find that i can kill most other classes with this pally except for wind druids.... good ones mess me up almost all the time. Anyway, you might wanna take a look at this kinda pally.

3. JayfeziE

I looked over the guide for that, and I must say that I liked it a lot. Looking at your setup I can tell that you rely on FOH a lot. I want to be able to kill melee with melee (Smite?), and I want to be able to kill ranged, with range (FOH).

I was thinking of using the Doom runeword a long with an Exile ethereal shield (ENH.DMG or +Res?). I figure that the Holy Freeze might help me smite some people around. I also have a BOTD I could use, but since O/W and C/B seem to be an important thing, I figure that Doom might be a better choice. Dracul's Grasp for O/W and Gorerider's. Also I'd use Enigma, as for a Belt, most likely Verdungo's.

I really don't know though, if I make this build, it seems that the only skill I would be using is FOH, even so, I've never had experience with smite. I don't quite know how it would work. Should I get a high damage weapon? Or should it just have IAS? (I know charge comes in handy in some situations, according to the guide.)

Should I focus on +Skill? Defense? Melee Damage?

4. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

Charge and smite will take care of most melee and ranged. Use Foh as a finishing move or when ppl run away. I don't use it a whole lot.

I figure Doom will help you get nk a lot too. You know you need some extra ias if you use doom, right?

Focus on all, +skills, defense, smite and charge damage.

5. JayfeziE

Should I only put one point into charge?

6. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

Depends. I mean, one is alright. You will still do pretty good damage with 10 charms and gear, but more points equals more damage.

7. JayfeziE

I'm trying to think of the good amount of defense on the Exile shield. What's a good number?

8. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

How come you read my guide and then decided to use doom, draculs, and exile? :scratch:

9. Guy_LeDouche

Guy_LeDouche IncGamers Member

Actually i smite more than foh on my pally. My smite rules, it does a butload of damage. + to skills are great, they are what your after on this build. As for the doom, it works good, but like the other guy said the holy freeze is bad manners (not that i ever really care either for the most part). Im a big fan of the Asteron's myself. I believe it to be highly underatted. CB=Good, + damage = good, +4 skills = GOOD. Even the ar bonus is nice when charging in, i find that my charge hits more now which is very good. Plus its fast. The nicest part about this build is that most of your skills are useable too. I can beat some zeal pallys ( not the really good ones) with my zeal (lvl23) Skills are nice for the charge too (also 23). All of the + skills add to CTA battle orders level too, which gives nice boost to life. Life is by the way what you should concentrate on. The higher the better. im making my new v/t with base str and minimal dex in order to pump vit. Ive met a smite pallys that had 4000 + life. 3000 is a more obtainable goal unless you can afford combat/life charms. (thats what im currently working on). For exile, the ed does add to smite damage, but it doesnt display it on the character window, i guess youd say its hidden, but its there. Resists is proly the better way to go to fight various classes. For v/t only 1 in charge, ur skills will bring it up to a decent level. a decent resist exile is like 800 ( little less on rondache i think, but lower req) a nicer exile has like 100 def, but i have seen vortexes with 1250.

10. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

The other guy says asteron and exile are bm as well -,-

11. JayfeziE

I know they might be BM to the hardcore Paladin, but there are people out there using Angelic Set, everyone with an Enigma, etc. and I think the only way to survive out there is to be the best you can be.

Now when I go into a Pally vs. Pally only game, that's when I can change things up a little bit.

12. JayfeziE

What do you guys feel the GCs are worth each? Oh, and I am on ladder BTW.

13. JayfeziE

I was looking over the IAS table that DiabloII.net provides. It's quite interesting.

I am not sure how to figure out the base IAS on my weapon, it is a Doom Berserker Axe with 45% IAS. Is there an equation?

Thanks again, and sorry if the questions are overwhelming lol.

14. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Most people do not consider exile BM, more people considered holy freeze BM. You will run into some who say hammerdins are BM, so really, its just a matter of which will make the fewest people mad. I would say holy freeze is the one that will make people the most mad.

15. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

I can't think of anyone who likes to duel people with life tap. :grrr:

16. JayfeziE

I can't see how Dracul's Grasp could be so bad, it only has a 5% chance for L/T?

17. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Of course then you add in exile and your chance of casting life tap soars to 20%. Even 5% chance casts often enough to be a nuisance in melee duels, but it doesn't matter, Dracul's don't bother me that much, and in my opinion, bloodfists are better anyway. However, exile has aura stacking and lifetap, which definately makes it BM.

18. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

Sounds like palapk where cta, exile, and lifetap are okay, but smite and charge are BM :)

I'd say smite in combination with life tap and freeze would take the prize. Use amp too and you have yourself a winner.

19. PiscesIscariot

PiscesIscariot Banned

argh doom/exile paladins are awful most of the time.

Exile is like legal potting.

the best smiters use astreons/HOZ.

20. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

If you added amp to the mix. You could mess things up by with the 2 curses killing each other off.

Jay I think we all know what you are talking about, I for one duel in alot of pubby games. I think its realy funny to watch these people some times. I still do not fallow in they're foot steps at all. But at times people here think what I do is bad mannered so go with what ever you feel is cool. Just do not feel bad when you get beat by some one that uses the "crapy" items that people use.