Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for advice/sample run of version 1.0 orb sorc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by twotoke, Aug 20, 2019.

1. twotoke

twotoke Diabloii.Net Member

Hi SPF community. I recently started playing version 1.0 and with the great info/guides found in this forum, I have geared a nice WW pike barb (cow king is stingy with a failed unique pike still) and have a decently geared orb/static sorc. I am interested in running hell CS with the sorc but I don't seem to kill mobs fast enough before I get swarmed. Is there any builds/guides/videos here that will show me how an efficient CS run with orb sorc should go? Thanks!

DariusTriplet likes this.
  2. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

twotoke likes this.
  3. DariusTriplet

DariusTriplet Diabloii.Net Member

What are you skills/stats/gear like, and what players setting are you doing the CS on? There's a real artistry to using SF+FO; certain monsters (Storm Casters) are best just Orbed to death, but otherwise the usual Orb -> Static to whatever point you feel good at -> Orbs should keep you safe and pushing forward. The trickiest parts are the front door and the side hallways, since there aren't great angles to Orb there - don't forget that FO "stops" once it hits a monster, even though the animation keeps playing.

twotoke likes this.
  4. twotoke

Hey thanks for the reply, I should have included this information in the original post but here it goes:

Skills
    Warmth - 20
    Static - 5
    Teleport - 1
    Frozen Armor - 1
    Frozen Orb - 20
    Cold Mastery - 15

(Rest have been going in light tree, I was thinking of pumping ES or TS once I max out cold mastery.)

Stats
    Strength - 80 (to wear gskin)
    Dexterity - 51 (for shard)
    Vitality - 159
    Energy - 100

(Rest of attributes will go in vitality.)

Gear
    Helm - Tarnhelm
    Chest - Goldskin (still waiting on a good rare with res to switch to)
    Belt - random rare with FHR some res and some +life (still farming cow king norm for better)
    Gloves - Frostburns
    Boots - random rare with FRW, some res, life, and GF (still farming cow king norm for better)
    Weapon - Spectral Shard
    Shield - Saigon's Guard
    Rings - 2x SoJ (got some decent rares but still waiting on something good enough to displace SoJ)
    Amulet - plain ole +1 sorc skill blue ammy (hence why I am running normal CS but would like to do hell CS for a possible +2)

Thank you especially about the tip concerning the visual bug with Frozen Orb stopping when it hits a monster, this might actually help a whole lot! I have been attempting hell CS on players 1, sometimes players 2 if I have my barb in game for support. The orb damage just seems a little lacking and I end up having to back up a lot which can lead me to getting swarmed/killed. In addition to getting this sorc better at farming hell CS I was hoping to run hell cow king with her but that has also proven tough. Any item recommendations are appreciated!

5. twotoke

Hey! Thank you for replying and linking! I'm definitely new (well new to posting in SPF, I have lurked this site since like early 2000's) here but I have scoured much of the SPF forum including 1.0 guides/builds I could find, including the main timetravelers one. I was just hoping someone had a version 1.0 orb sorc that they had a guide and or video of showcasing a typical hell CS or hell cow run.

6. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Ah ok, sorry about that, I assumed too much about your post count! :oops:

twotoke likes this.
  7. DariusTriplet

DariusTriplet Diabloii.Net Member

Not a guide, but at the risk of tooting my own horn, this is fairly comprehensive re: playing a Classic Sorceress.

Gear-wise, you should be fine, although depending on your resists Twitchthroe + 3 Perfect Diamond Tower Shield might be better than Sigon's + Goldskin. You get +27 resist all over Goldskin from it, and similar (same?) blockrate, although you'd lose +1 skill. You might want to swap the plain Angel's Amulet for Prismatic or Of Warding - resists+block+MDR will make your Sorceress into a total tank.

My main suggestion would be to figure out how to tackle each type of monster, and act accordingly. slvl 20+ Orb should clear Storm Casters without much hassle, and Static+Orb will make short work of everything else. Don't bother with Static against Storm Casters - their 75% lightning resist make it not worth the trouble. Venom Lords are pushovers (low resists, can't really hurt you) and Doom Knights can wallop you but are only effective at melee range. Oblivion Knights are the scary ones - their bolts sting, and Lower Resist can really ruin your day - but Static's range + Orb should do the trick. Diablo himself shouldn't be hard - Orb keeps him chilled, and Static does the rest.

twotoke likes this.
  8. twotoke

Wow how did I overlook your thread (guess I was looking for strictly 1.0 information), that's exactly what I hoped for! Got some reading to do :)

DariusTriplet likes this.