Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for advice on zerker barb grinding level 90+ XP

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheGuardianXXXIII, Feb 8, 2019.

1. TheGuardianXXXIII

TheGuardianXXXIII Diabloii.Net Member

Wondering if you guys can help me on the right track with grinding XP for levels 90+ as a berserker barb (pit zerker build). I just hit 89 last night. I read through a few threads, most notably the 99er SPF compendium, and it looks like the typical progression for single player grinding is: 80-90 are Pindle and the easier alvl 85 zones like pits and AT. As a pit zerker, pits & pindle are his natural home. Around mid-90's one transitions into CS or Baal runs and finally at the 98, nihlathak is a good option. The CS runs can be done a variety of ways, such as clearing all boss packs, doing gripp runs with just clearing Vizer & Infector, or full runs w/ diablo kills. Personally i find Baal runs to be.... not fun on this character. I'd rather not do Baal runs.

I find i get a lot of enjoyment out of CS with this guy, even though a pit zerker isn't highly optimized for it. Howl just seems pretty damn good there to speed through and pop seals and it's always interesting and breaks up boring routines that too much p1 pindle or pits sometimes can bring.. Not to mention the high boss pack density which is what a pit zerker loves. I'm thinking skipping De Sies is the right way to go here.. i lose a ton of time (or purples) not dying to that asshole's minions.

My zerker isn't god tier yet, but i have finally gotten my Enigma together which is amazing fun, and have had a nice Grief for a week or 2 now. He still needs a caster ammy, a better source of CBF (currently using "Rhyme" Heater), and better caster switch. But i'm finding the p1 CS runs with 63FCR breakpoint to be pretty fast, even with killing diablo.

The trouble i'm having is being a single target killer, xp grinding is quite a bit slower than i'm used to compared to my necro and sorc. It is normally recommended to run at the highest players-setting one can efficiently clear, i'm assuming that's no different for a single-target killer like a pit zerker? Normally you run pits/pindle at p1, but that's for MF'ing, would upping p-count on those 2 areas be worth it on zerker for XP grind?

I'm thinking about putting on Arreat's or GFace with LoH gloves, swapping out MF charms for more dmg & res charms and trying my hand at p3 or p5 CS & pindle. Would that be a good way to go for XP?

I also recently found a Reaper's Toll - would that be recommended on the higher p-setting over Insight for XP grinding or would the loss of the mana slow things down too much?

I know i should probably just do a bunch of runs and time it all out and figure this out for myself, but you guys are such a wealth of information... figured i'd get some input so i didn't have to reinvent the wheel :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Luhkoh, Zyr and sir_cyclops like this.
  2. Tatterson

Tatterson Diabloii.Net Member

So, I'll get the easy stuff out of the way first. Reapers toll's decrepify lowers the enemys physical resistance, but berserk deals magical damaage, so as far as I know, pitzerkers dont benefit from a reapers.

Code:
    Player setting    XP 1.08    XP 1.09    XP 1.10+
    1    100%    100%    100%
    2    167%    175%    150%
    3    233%    250%    200%
    4    300%    325%    250%
    5    367%    375%    300%
    6    433%    400%    350%
    7    500%    425%    400%
    8    567%    450%    450%
    This is the exp chart for player counts. If p3 runs take you over double the time of p1 runs, then don't do p3 runs. Pitzerker is awful for leveling since you only kill champions and unique monsters, while leaving the normal monsters and minions behind.

Damage charms of course would lead you to faster runs and therefore faster exp. LoH is best in slot for barbs, I'm not sure what youre using instead of it. I tried p7 vizier + infector, p1 de seis and diablo runs with berserk but I don't remember what the results were. If you want to level the most efficient way, respeccing to WW is probably the best move.

Luhkoh and Zyr like this.
  3. TheGuardianXXXIII

Oh man, lol! Thanks for pointing that out. Nice catch!

Ah, this makes sense. The table really helps determine how much fast you need to be at each p-setting. So really, the only way for me to know which p-setting is to just test it out.

I did 18 test runs tonight on P3. First 5 runs were more of a warmup and a little hectic as i'm still getting used to the break-neck pace of Enigma life lol. These were 2:30 avg runs with 7.4 bosses per run (11.24 counting horks) including the 2 seal bosses (Vizer & Infector) and any RoF bosses i ran into. I earned 661,449.8 avg XP per run.

My next 13 runs felt a lot smoother as i was getting used to the run and where the boss packs spawned. These were 2:26 avg runs with 8.07 bosses per run (12.27 counting horks) and 719,353 avg XP per run. So a few seconds faster, 1 more boss on avg more, yielding an extra 57.9k XP per run.

Using Fabian scores the 2nd batch of runs was 11.89 seconds per boss killed and 5.38 "Fabians"

Well since i was mostly doing P1 pits, CS, and pindle, i was using Chance Guards for MF. LoH is what i used for my test runs tonight. I also swapped out SHako for a clean Arreat's Face, and my MF/AR/STR/Frez ring for a Dwarf Star to help vs. all the fire damage. I haven't messed with my charms yet. They are mostly dmg & res/life charms anyway. My 4 MF sc's have dmg/AR on them so not too worried there. My Gheed's is really the only deadweight as far as XP grinding goes.

Since my P3 seems to be fairing pretty well i'm going to try P5 next.

I'll hold off on the WW respec for now, though you're right.. it's probably the most efficient way due to AoE and leech.

==quick update==
    I did 15 runs on P5 and it added 45 seconds on average per run, which is a 30.8% increase. Unfortunately I forgot to note my starting XP, but average boss kills was about the same, probably 1 less per run as i was skipping some of the annoying extra fast mage packs that kept spawning. So by the tables, 50% more XP on P5 than P3 which still puts me ahead of my P3 efficiency by about a 20% difference.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. ffs

ffs Diabloii.Net Member

WW 100%. When I found a great Pit mal on a lower level Berserker (~85) I tried to avoid the WW respec also. In hindsight, not doing it earlier and trying to level as Berserker was quite a waste of time. ;)

Luhkoh likes this.
  5. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Most of my barbs careers go like this:
    - Play the game in the build I want.
    - Respec to WW, run Trav to about lvl93
    - Respec back.

If you want to go higher, Lister runs.

6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Any particular reason you want him to still gain levels at good speed? Otherwise I'd stick to what he is best at: p1 Pit runs with high mf.

7. TheGuardianXXXIII

Mostly want a few extra levels for more skill points. The Fabian build i'm using is really skill point starved. I'd like to get 1-2 more points into Find Item and same with Shout.

I got to 90 1/4 this weekend doing modified gripp-style Chaos sanct runs. Basically killing any unique/champs on my way to Vizer & Infector seals then remake. It went pretty fast once i got into the groove of the run. My CS map has decent boss density, about 6 + 2 (seals) per run. To keep things interesting i was going between P5 and P7. P7 was about as fast as P5, but i had to skip certain packs more frequently (Obliv Knight champs and extra fast uniques just weren't worth the time it took to kill them w/ their decrep curse) so the avg boss kills per run was down probably 1.5.

It was pretty good MF'ing too. With my gear tuned more to killing/surviving, my MF was only around 200, but that's still plenty to see some nice drops. I didn't get any runes beyond low stuff... I think a Io was the highest i found, but i did find 2 shako's, another Grandfather, Treks, eth Treks, eth Ghost Glaive, Rising Sun, IK armor, and a Tal's armor. Pretty good haul and a nice change up from Pits/Pindle farming.