Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for a solid Java/+ Build for p8 hardcore untwinked solo play

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by w-igor, Apr 2, 2016.

1. w-igor

w-igor IncGamers Member

Hello after many years!

I started a challenge yesterday. I'd like to test myself in /players8, hardcore, single player, playing untwinked Amazon. Of course I seen Fishy's guide to WS K LF/FA Amazon, but I'm thinking whether it's optimal for
    1) Hardcore
    2) p8
    3) Untwinked
    4) Solo
    5) 2016 :)

What do you guys think? Here are some questions, but recommendation of a guide, example built, etc would be VERY helpful as well!

- Maybe less bow synergies and more java?
    - Maybe FA isn't the most optimal 2nd skill / way to kill immunes?
    - Really no Valk (and no dodge etc)?

I'm open for all suggestions :) And to make it easy, here's the Fishyzon build as a starting point
    http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/guide-ws-k-amazon.464188/

Javelin Skills
    20 Lightning Fury
    20 Charged Strike
    6 Prerequisites

Bow Skills
    20 Cold Arrow
    20 Freezing Arrow
    1 Prerequisite

Passive & Magic Skills
    1 Pierce
    2 Prerequisites

Deuterium likes this.
  2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Lightning Fury and Charged Strike is a great combo. You can place a few points in Bow skills just for immunes but you'll probably not use it that much once you get geared up. So maybe leave a few points unspent just in case you get to Hell and don't yet have the gear you need.

Deuterium likes this.
  3. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

Assuming your goal is to make it to Guardian status, I think you picked the right build for the task. (Though I'd probably thumbs up any LF hybrid build such as Plague Javelin or Immolation Arrow)

The only change I'd make is drop the Charged Strike for max (or close to max) Valkyrie.

Seriously, the whole "OMG D/A/E is going to get me killed around Flayers" argument is highly overblown. The only way to fail with this build is getting stair mobbed by heavy hitting melee enemies like a pack of aura enchanted Hell Lords or Night Lords. In this case while the Charged Strike isn't going to do anything, your level 20+ Valkyrie will buy you enough time for whatever your Plan B is.

Now, if you're worried that bosses might take too long to kill without CS, a pair of Blood Gloves to use with 1 pt jab, or giving your merc a 'Strength' weapon are both very quick and easy untwinked solutions.

4. Whitering

Whitering IncGamers Member

Sorry, late to the party, you've probably already finished. Here is what you need.

20 CS, 20 LF
    13+ in Valk, 1 in every other passive

Then you need Witchwild String on switch (20 magic arrow), 300 or so dex, and you can kill anything on P8, I know because this is a character I do every ladder, not first though, first is always a Hyrbrid Zon, and normally with about 5 players.

Normally after I get an upped Witch and Titans, I make my LF based Zon, and don't look back, you don't need anything too expensive, but I make an Infinity normally, but I waffle on that or Reaper's Toll or Kelpie's Snare for my Merc, because Witchwild will apply Amp pretty quickly if necessary. Kelpie's stops Baal and most other bosses right in their tracks, but once you get enough good gear, it doesn't matter.

With a Defiance Merc, and Stone armor (yes, my favourite armor), and a TGods belt, you are one of the hardest characters to kill in the game. I used to help people kill stair traps because you can't get hit stunned or worry about the DAE if Reapers has everything slowed, and with TGods and and Wisp you cannot be killed by Lightning. You can easily end up with a 5% chance for mobs to hit you, before accounting for DAE. The only other armor I think stacks up is a preloaded Fade/Treachery, but I love the hit recovery too much to leave it behind.

If you can't find a Witchwild in a timely fashion, just chuck 20 in Magic Arrow and grab the beefiest/quick bow you can find. Seriously, I do tons of River runs, and kill Heph Phys Light immunes with it all the time in 5-8 player games.

Also, I only play HC, haven't lose a zon since they took Iron Maiden away from the Oblivion Knights, they are seriously sturdy if you avoid the common over hyped armors and go with Stone or Duress, but Stone has amazing hit recovery and defense, also, I only use Defiance mercs, but if you find yourself getting hit too much you might try a Holy Freeze one. Skip on the Freezing Arrow, you need an Insight Merc to run it, almost forever, whereas once you get your gear together you can dump it from the standard LF zon.

I do typically build equally between my decoy and Lightning Strike after that because LS is a bit picky, but can clear Flayer Jungle and other environs pretty quickly or you can just take strafe for those situations, but I like to boost LF as much as possible.

Deuterium likes this.
  5. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Whitering, that sounds interesting and close to what I do myself. But I can't help thinking that it's a bit wasteful to pump dex that much for your switch weapon, when it does absolutely nothing for your main skills? WWS's Level 20 magic arrow is in my experience severely underpowered for packs esp in 8-player games - how do you get it to do the job quickly enough?

6. Causa

Causa IncGamers Member

I play mainly SC ladder on realms but I would like to hear more about this matter. The thing is that I really like to have some odd projects on the side and HC chars on SP is something I like. Haven't had much time on those but who knows, after I quit ladder I know I'm not giving up my SP files.

-Causa

7. Whitering

Whitering IncGamers Member

I play HC, I end up at 300 dex with items, I don't put that many points there and I play max block always, and you need 151 dex for Mat Javs, which I want from stats mostly because I don't necessarily farm torches or count on the dex from those, in any case you can respec to tweak.

STR is for gear only, rest is vit, but like I said, I haven't lost a zon since they took iron maiden away from CS and even then, it was me killing myself lol

Witchwild with approx 300 dex quickly kills LI packs with 1+skills in strafe or multi, or be lazy and jab them to death, that's how I used to kill myself in CS. You will almost never, ever, ever run across packs of LI/PhysI monsters. I have met a PhysI/LI Heph though, and magic arrow is quite fine to kill him with a double shaeled/upped Witchwild, you won't have any trouble, even in a 5 player game. Of course, it super helps if your merc has Kelpie.

I will be playing the next ladder again, I am skipping the most recent restart. With Cyberpunk not likely coming out until 2019, and Battletech 2018, I got plenty of time.

Edit, you might run into PhysI/LI ghosts I guess, but they have really low hp. Otherwise, you don't have to kill every mob.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017