Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for a new job

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Looking for a new job

It's time to find a new job for myself. The old boss has finally gone off the deep end. He's gone so far as to actually start slandering me to clients on a regular basis. That on top of blaming me for everything, calling me a liar on an hourly basis and generally being a prick.

My home business isn't enough to live on. It's only going to bring in about $6,500 this year. So here goes. This should only take a couple of weeks. The rate homes are being built around here I can easily get a framing job (which I wouldn't mind - it's good to know how to build) or work myself into a design/build firm as a senior CAD drafter.

Remember kiddies, the economy sucks. There are no jobs. Yeah, right. :lol:

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy Diabloii.Net Member

What about doing a business pitch to someone for that idea you've got about building retirement communities?

3. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Those things cost $4+ million to build. I don't know anybody willing to part with that kind of money for a long term investment when they can build 6 homes with that and make a $2 million profit inside of 6 months.

I'll stick to doing what I do best, designing homes with the Not-So-Big philosophy. Or I'll build homes and learn that part of the industry. Either will suffice nicely.

4. AeroJonesy

Call up The Donald. Here's hoping your search goes quick! :drink:

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

Bah, I've got 4 million in one of my bank accounts. Oh, wait, dollars . . . hmm. Never mind.

If the boss is actually slandering you, that's something to stop with legal means if necessary . . . He isn't making it any easier to keep doing work in that field with that set of clients, to be sure.

6. festers50

festers50 Diabloii.Net Member

Good luck with the job search :thumbsup:

7. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Whaaaaat?

Lord Bush doesnt provide for his minions???

So you run around in that stormtrooper outfit all day for no pay?

8. KnightFall

KnightFall Diabloii.Net Member

Kill your boss and take his job. ;)

GL with your search, I'm going to be doing it myself soon I think...

KnightFall

9. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead Diabloii.Net Member

Hey Freemason,

How about coming up to Alaska and showing these goofy modernistic self-righteous architects from Santa Monica how to PROPERLY design a capitol building?

See, Juneau wants a new capitol building and somehow the winning design has drawn statewide spurn and disgust. Looks like a freakin egg on a glass box. Take a peek.

http://www.tndtownpaper.com/Volume7/alaska_deserves.htm

10. UserMathias

UserMathias Diabloii.Net Member

Er, what was your old job?

11. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe Smeg can help The Donald out with his crusade against the WTC replacement building? The Smeghead has a nice ring to it...

And as for supervisory slander, try living with it for 5 years. The job market isn't quite as sweet as you imagine, particularly when it comes to technical jobs that can be offshored (like design). The framer job sounds like a good idea - but if you want something as good as you already have, be prepared to relocate at your own expense or live in lesser conditions. You start finding out just how much horsepucky you can put up with.

12. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

That is just scary.

Freemason, if you know SDRC I-Deas I could maybe hook you up in the aerospace industry.

13. AeroJonesy

I-Deas is actually used in industry? Man, I hate that program. Maybe we just used a crappy version of it. In the labs here we have version 11, probably on some sort of educational license.

14. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I-Deas is very high end. We use it over such programs as Pro-E for aerospace design. You may not have all the bells and whistles.

15. AeroJonesy

Probably not, but I know if you do things properly on it, it's incredibly powerful software. The user interface just needs a boatload of work. Making changes to an I-Deas design is like arguing with a woman. You can try all you want, but you'll never win.

16. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

The interface can be customized for each user. I prefer the icon driven menu myself.

I disagree. One of the reasons we use it is because how quickly we can make changes. We can constrain or not based on our need and that really speeds things up. It's all about how you manage your sub-assemblies as well.

I'd be curious to know what kind of design you were doing.

17. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead Diabloii.Net Member

I like the egg-shaped thingy more than the suggested design. Looks very weird and unique. And shiny. Then again, i don't live in alaska.

18. AeroJonesy

Nothing fancy, just some basic aircraft modeling. We actually had a pretty cool setup of the wing and tail airfoils that we were using, with the composite and aluminum materials we used. The troubling part was creating the models. Once you have the models, running an analysis is pretty darn easy because of how you can store different boundary condition sets and load sets. I just found it hard to modify the size or material or element type when creating a model.

We also just got the program thrown at us. Our professor photocopied some workshops out of a book for us. The first one we did was workshop 17 or something like that. It would have been helpful to have had more time to actually understand the program.

19. Amra

Amra Diabloii.Net Member

I suspected your training was incomplete young padawan.

20. Freemason

Freemason Banned

I'll do what I can while remaining right here.

So far the search has shown there are no advertised architectural jobs locally. No bid deal, less than 10% of all available jobs are advertised anyway. All I need to do is rebuild my portfolio, update my resume and start hammering away at the custom home builders. I've seen the drawings their guys go and I'm not impressed. Sure you can build the house if you make a couple dozen unfounded assumptions and BS the building inspector. Or they can hire me and have a proper set of documents that don't require any[/u] assumptions.

This is going to be a lot of fun. The first time I've ever changed jobs because I want to. Finally, a chance to take my time and get hired by the right people.