Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Looking for a little advice (rushing, sorc, barb v pally)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by LouisLeGros, Apr 29, 2008.

1. LouisLeGros

LouisLeGros IncGamers Member

Looking for a little advice (rushing, sorc, barb v pally)

Hello classic plays :wave:

I'm going to honest and just say that my primary focus is in classic is to rush mules and convert them. It can be a nice break from LoD though, so that is an added bonus :grin:.

So I'm looking for help/advice on various matters.

First thing: The rushing

Okay I'm using a FO sorc and I get through norm and NM no problem. Act 1 hell is also pretty easy. I've got mules set up who have opened tal rasha's chamber but haven't finished the quest so I can avoid the maggot lair and speed up rushing... or well I'm done with the normal and NM one, still have to finish the one for hell.

So I don't really want to bother with my cold sorc for Act 2 hell, she is too fragile and too many cold immunes. So that is why I come to you guys to ask for advice on what char/build would be pretty good at doing Act 2 hell (viper temple, Arcane & Duriel) while keeping it cheap? I've started a hammerdin (lvl 19, no big deal if I go with another char), but I'm having second doubts about his effectivness with my limited funds.

Second thing: My sorc
    I really don't know what to go for with my gear on my sorc.
    I'm currently at level 72
    str: 60 (base 50)
    Dex: 29 (base 25)
    Vitality: 335 (base 335)
    Energy: 35 (base 35)

Helm: Cathan's Visage
    Armor: Hawk Mail
    Weapon: Iron Jang Bong
    Gloves: Magefist (frostburns in stash)
    Rings: Cathans Seal & Doom Circle 10fcr, 97 AR, RL 5, LR 9%, FR 20%, 6mf
    Amulet: Ghoul Mark +1 sorc skills, +2 dex, 22 CR
    Boots: Shadow Slippers 10 FR/W, +2 dex, 27 CR, 29 LR, Half freeze duration

The primary purpose of my sorc is to rush, maybe do some MFing. What gear would you guys suggest I try to get? cookie cutter and personal preference are both welcomed.

Also, I'm on West SCL... there doesn't seem to be much activity online when playing.

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Re: Looking for a little advice (rushing, sorc, barb v pally)

One thing you may want to get for your sorc is a shield.

I find the stickies can help from there.
    Or that thread 2 down from yours called "Classic Sorc Build for Hell 8-player rushes".

3. LouisLeGros

I've read the stickies and that player 8 hell rushes.

I've considered a shield + shard, but I have no idea of how expensive it is or the best way to go about getting them... Then I also don't know what shield I should look for, my strength is low some my options are limited.

I don't know if I should stick with the magefists, go with frostburns or try to get some FCR rare gloves. Or maybe go with Irthras, I've seen the helm + gloves + amulet combo suggested in some of the various builds for casters. I'm not sure if I'd want to give up the castrate or possibly +skills in those spots for a little defence and resists. In CS runs I never die and resists + defence don't really seem like they would be the most important things as I get a long fine with normal and nightmare.

I'm just generally confused :confused1:. The guides linked in the sticky generally seem to be about things that are common sense (better stats = better value, why we need a guide for that I dunno) or specifics for more endgame stuff that is out of my reach. The rare evaluations things was helpful, but it was more focused on trading/identifying GG gear and getting SoJs for them.

There are good pvm pally and barb guides, but I don't really have too much experience with either class and I don't know how effectively they can take on act 2 hell in classic with the gear of classic, especially barbs.

Then balancing +skills and other stats has got me questioning what to do. With classic it seems to be either one or the other, unless you have SoJs and use those and trade em for really good gear like the +2 pally shields & +skills barb weapons.

I'm guessing I should probably MF for some gear, but I'll probably need to find some more cast rate... and some MF, neither of which seem to be easy to find.

There is 1 game on hell difficulty, so I don't think trading is much of an option for me.I don't have anything worth trading anyways though.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. tokeabowl

tokeabowl IncGamers Member

I'd go with iratha for sorc and use shard to make up for the fcr. I forget the breakpoints for the sorc, but you might want to throw in a fcr ring. But full iratha set is great because it provides dex for shard, lots of resists and run/walk. For a shield a 30/20 priz bone shield is probably best, but that can be expensive. Wall of the eyeless might be ok or a 3pdiamond shield if you can't get one. Twitch is very good for sorc giving you str dex fhr and fbr. It doesn't really get better than that. For boots I use 30frw 10fhr with resists and mf.

I have a mace barb which is extremely good and cheap. Just follow the guide on the site exactly but try and go for a rare mart with high ED and AR. Get leech if you are rich. Putting points in strength over vitality gives a lot more damage too. My barb can kill council and meph pretty easily, just get dual angelics and ammy if you have ar problems.

I also play on west and have an extra shard and lots of other uniques. Message me @tokeabowl if you need help.

5. WarlockCC

You should be able to buy the items tokeabowl mentions with gold. Make a game offering 700k gold for a shard and you'll see high level gamblers popping in soon enough.
    3 sock shield for 3 Perfect Diamonds you can buy from charsi normal.

6. nobes

nobes IncGamers Member

I'll just add that you can buy a 30/20 priz bone shield from hell Drognan. Takes a little time and patience but its easy.

Thats what I use for my sorc. (I even keep shopping Drognan until I found a 30/20 priz Grim sheild :) ) I find the added block of a 30/20 is well worth it over a 3 socket one.

7. LouisLeGros

alright then... if only I hadn't just died in like 11 out of 12 of my last andy runs I would actually have the gold to buy those things.

I don't know what is wrong with me. I'm always teleporting in place even though I'm clicking right in the middle of a hallway and I'm missing monsters that are right in front of me with my orb that is going straight at em. It Is really frustrating me, not to mention that I also just got realmed.

I've already got a 3 socket Pdiamond shield, I'll try to find an act 2 map with the entrance near drognan so I can shop for one of those 20/30 shields. I'll need to find a shard before I can use either though.

Found a 30/20 grim shield in about 10 minutes :)... or am I supposed to buy a 30/20 one that also has resistances? Would my level have anything to do with them selling something like that?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  8. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

with FCR (not sure how much u want or need based on break points), and most or all pts into vit for life, u shouldn't hardly ever die once your char lvl gets high (for stat pts into vit for life), and *also with resists on gear of course*.

this allows u to rush. u should have enough FCR to easily teleport around freely even if surrounded by monsters u should have the FCR to tele out of it and the life n resists to take what damage they can do before u teleport away.

as mentioned by warlock in/with that 8 person sorc thread, i have a post about a rushing (and imo best build) sorc. it does work mostly as i say it does. an orb sorc with max teleport and high FCR and high vit/life and what resists u can also get on gear, really can go any where and kill even nearly everything once u put pts into the secondary attacks of fire n lit and use static to reduce life first.

as for gear:

imo, FCR is really important for 3 reasons:
    1. hyper fast teleport for traveling (rushing)
    2. life saver (u can teleport out of danger like being surrounded by monsters or u teleport so fast its impossible for monsters to do anything like being able to hit u)
    3. faster cast for spell attacking speed

FCR gear:
    1. shard (dagger?) (50% fcr)
    2. wall of eyeless (shield) (20% fcr)
    3. magefist (gloves) (20% fcr)
    4. amulet (10% fcr)
    5. ring (10% fcr)
    6. ring (10% fcr)

rest of gear:
    1. twitch (mail=torso/chest) (increases shield block %, especially for wall of eyeless at only 40 block %, and FHR very helpful, +10 str, +10 dex, pretty low str req)
    2. hawkmail (mail) (CBF, +10-15? to MAX cold resist, but higher str req)
    3. goldskin? (mail) (huge resists, but high str req)
    4. silks (mail) (+1 skills, but high str req=100 str)
    5. 3 socket diamond shield (huge resists if u need more than wall of eyeless 20% FCR)
    6. belt, helmet, boots, amulet, rings (whatever u need/want and/or best u can get)

imo of importance:

if u got needed resists from gear:
    most important: FCR > +skills > resists : least important

if u do NOT got needed resists from gear:
    most important: FCR > resists > +skills : least important

9. HegemonKhan

a prism 30/20 shield is great if u can get one, as well as the gear i mentioned

(the gear i mentioned is cheap gear u can get/find pretty easily and works well for cheap budget if u dont already have good gear)

the mods (prefixes and suffixes) on gear IS determined by your character level. i'm not sure at what character level the mod prismatic becomes availible to roll on gear when u shop. u'll have to have some one else answer this as i dont have it memorized or known at what levels u get mods at.

*search for orphan's guide/thread/post/whatever, it has the all the classic mods n info about it). i'm pretty sure warlock has it stickyied in the locked guides thread.

the TYPE of gear from shops depend on the shop (which shop-NPC u click on), town (act 1-4), and difficulty (norm, nm, hell).

10. HegemonKhan

about orb not hitting:

1. orb ***IS*** interruptible!!!!try to move away from melee with melee monsters so u can than cast/get your orb off and it kills monsters and try to move away from getting pelted and hit locked by ranged attacks with ranged monsters.
    2. orb IS blockible (i think). many times i have seen orb go back behind my character instead of going in front of my character like i clicked it to do. i am presuming this is because it was blocked and the animation for orb being blocked is to show it going the opposite way of the direction u clicked it to go.
    3. orb does NOT seem to hit monsters in melee range especially if u target (click on monsters name) orb on monsters. i've found it does hit them a bit if u click on empty ground past the monsters in your face instead of clicking on their name but it still misses lots of hits when they next to u. this is a lot like diablo's pink lightning and sorceress' lightning spell skill attack too.

**for those of u who dont know, diablo's pink lightning wont hit u if u are close to him, its a secret probably a decent amount dont know about**

11. LouisLeGros

the problem with the orb & teleport thing seemed to fix itself after I reset my computer and I'm not dieing anymore because of it :).

My sorc is pretty much exactly that, little str all vit, maxed orb & synergies & maxed teleport. I'm leaning towards gear like the FCR one and hopefully it can survive arcane and viper temple.

12. HegemonKhan

viper temple/vipers:

viper temple (vipers=chargers) is probably the worst area/monster for sorcs. sorcs can have resists so elem damage isnt a problem, but phys damage thats the problem, and thats what vipers do with their phys damage charge and charge lock. sorcs really cant have any protection from phys damage (unless u use a ES TK sorc and there's no mana burn monsters.... or make a high defense "melee probably" sorc and have high str for high def armor and sk pts into cold armors for enhanced def..a sorc build almost never done), so really the only way to do the viper temple with a sorc is FCR and teleporting so fast through it vipers/monsters cant touch u. which is a part of why i emphasis FCR over +skills and resists.

if u have firewall at a high enough lvl that u can kill with it, than u can kill the vipers but it would be really slow and very dangerous still.

hyper teleporting (is still best option..just dont die in snake temple. impossible for u to get body back and do the snake temple if u "naked"/gearless. hopefully filter doesnt censor naked:p) to the alter, get quest amulet, and go to town:D.

arcane sanctuary:

arcane santuary u just need resists for the most part. fire resist to protect from the mages (whatever they r called=the fireball and inferno casting mosnters:p) and lit resist to protect u from the lit "towers-spires" that attack u with nova and lightning. than if memory serves, the goat-demon monsters, the spire-towers, and the mages are cold immune (not sure if the goat-demon monsters r cold immune, cant remember, they might be fire immune instead of cold) so u cant really kill anything. so just try to hyper teleport through it, and definately do NOT let the goat-demon monsters hit u as they do phys damage (and fire?) which u have no protection againt. though u should have resists so the fire and lit shouldnt be dangerous.

13. LouisLeGros

My main concern with the Arcane sanctuary is making a safe space for the rushees to be.

I have no idea what naked hyper teleporting is. You highlight my very concerns with the vipers and why I'm considering just making a different character for that part and might as well do arcane as well.

Also, after over an hour of searching
    [​IMG]

edit:
    I don't seem to have enough strength and dex for all of my gear. I could get the shard and shield on, but I sacarifice all of my plus skills.

Any advice on finding some good rare rings & ammys? Or should I try to level some more and put some points into dex & str?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  14. HegemonKhan

when u say safe place for rush do u mean for arcane sanctuary (act 2) or chaos santuary (act 4/diablo area)?

cuz, safe place makes me think your talking about cs (chaos sanctuary) at the "star" for rush portal, not the arcane sanctuary (act 2 with the summoner-quest in it).

what i was trying to say about the snake temple and being "naked"/gearless, is that:

if u get killed by vipers in snake temple, GOOD LUCK, getting back to your body's corpse wihtout dying again and again losing lots of exp and gold (unless u in norm difficulty) when u no longer have your gear being "naked".

its better jsut to leave game, take a hit in the exp lost, to get back your corpse and the gear on it, than to try to retrieve it from within the snake tmeple probably surrounded and covered with vipers....(i've had some bad expereince my self and foolishly tried to get my corpse body back from within snake tmeple and died over n over losing all my exp and gold...)

my "hyper teleporting" phrase jsut means having a high FCR so u can teleport really fast. in hell cs rush games this (teleport rushing/traveling) is often called/known as sora 'ing. bora'ing would be a barb using leap/leap attack to travel/rush often again in/for hell cs rush games.

about str/dex troubles:

u could put stat pts into str/dex and make it easier for equiping gear.

for those of us who want to make perfect or near perfect sorcs with all or most stat pts into vit. u'll be having trouble until u get high enough lvl to wear +str/dex rings and such gear. and it'll take time finding them if u dont have any yet.

+str/dex rings for example require u to be about lvl 47 to equip them. so until than u wont have the str to wear the gear u want.

man if u could (if its possible, that is) get a shield with +2skills, 30/20, and prismatic, it should be worth a nice decent amount!!! one very nice shield!!!

1 final note: check what type of shield u want. heavy shields (and mail=torso-chest armor) slow u down and have high str/dex req, but give much more def. so based on what u need make sure u r getting the type of shield u want.

3 types of weighted armor (light, medium, heavy) and there are ONLY 2 types that effect u: shields and mail=torso-chest armor types. heavy slows down your walk/run by 30% ?, medium slows u down by 10 or 20% ?, light does NOT slow u down, no effect of walk/run speed.

15. LouisLeGros

with my current gear I have no trouble teleporting to hell CS. I wish WSK was so easy :p.

Then I did mean arcane. I know you can have the rushee die and stay dead, but getting him through the portal could be a bit hard if there were cold immunes next to the summoner (which there almost always are). Then it connects to my confusion in my rushing process described below

The way I'm thinking about doing my rushes is like this.

Set up:
    I run two clients and rush myself, so there is a little trouble with fast reactions
    Act 1 I tele to catacombs 4 drop a tp and get andy down near the double doors and kill her. repeat all 3 difficulties for every rushee

Act 2 I have tomb mules that have unlocked Tal Rashas chamber. I do viper temple once for ever 2 characters (mostly for hell, doing it one at a time on normal and nightmare isn't really a problem). Once I get to the altar I put up a TP and have the rushee enter and put up his own TP. I then have the rusher leave and bring another rushee who will party with the remaining rushee and they will both get credit for quest.

Next I get one of these rushees to the summoner and have him receive that quest. Once the summoner is done I create a new game with the "tomb mule" so duriels chamber will be open. I then proceed to kill duriel and open a TP for the Rushee who can go talk to tyreal.

This is where I get confused on my plan, I've read something about being able to get 4 rushees through with only having to do most of the rushing with two rushees and being able to get the other two past act 2 without having to do viper for each rushee and I think the summoner as well, I'm not sure exactly how it worked.

Anyways I do that norm - hell

Act 3 I just tele behind the council clear the area put up a TP and kill the council and then proceed to mephisto. I do this for norm - NM, I can do this part very quickly on hell with my LoD characters.

Act 4 is a similar deal to act 3, just tele to CS put and TP and do the killing in norm and NM. No need to do it in hell, there I will clear the path to hellforge and collect my reward.

Eek that is ugly, but I think I figured it out.

Should I try to make it all pretty and make a guide?

16. HegemonKhan

i wish i had two computers (or whatever means there are out there).... would make realm/mp play so much more convenient and effective...

i've actually stopped doing mp (realm) play. i do terribly miss the parties' skill bonuses, quest rushing, and party exp leeching that i cant get with doing the sp I am now.

i stopped doing mp (realm) and went to sp (using atma for first time, after getting sick of trying to do sp without it) mainly because i got sick of gear/account management and upkeep. i'd always get so much gear, that it took my entire time jsut renewing my mules on realm that i hardly ever got to actual play with my real characters...grr.. so i went to sp and am enjoying atma a lot...after i found about turning on this 1 option to mule uniques on atma...lost a few nice uniques..while i wasnt aware of this thing i had to turn on in options.

though i miss being in a party and having my characters boasted by the otehr characters in party like a bo barb or paladin auras or enchant sorc...which i cant get in sp with only 1 comp...

my sp (and only 1 comp) straferzon could really use a partied sorc's enchant, a paladin's fanticism, a barb's bo, a paladin's concentration, a paladin's might, a paladin's conviction, a paladin's blessed aim, all enhaning her at the same time...cries

17. WarlockCC

You can still get the XP and monster difficulty in single player by typing /players 8

18. HegemonKhan

thats true , that the 8 player option is availible with the /players(1-8) "chat" command, and i use it always.

my complaint was that i'm playing by myself, so NO party and their skills boasting my character, as i mentioned for my strafezon...i could use those 7 characters and those skills on my strafezon..but thats not possible when i am doing sp without an ability to have multiple characters playing together for their auras from partying..

otherwise SP and atma is really awesome, i was jsut saying i miss being in a party with a hammerdin with lvl 30 concentration boasting my strafezon's damage:p or a 32-33? bo barb giving HUGE life and mana to u:p or a enchant sorc giving u enchant...etc..

i got spoiled from party play on realm/mp....and miss it, doing sp all by my self with only 1 character in the game:D

19. WarlockCC

Then just come back to the realm. :)

20. HegemonKhan

i stoped doing realm because i got too tired-annoyed with collecting items and keeping my accounts from running out....(300 mules with junk...8 full acounts of playing characters lvl 70 and up...etc...was too time consuming jsut with trying to upkeep all my accounts...spent most my time jsut renewing my 300 mules:p..than trying to find where i put what item on what mule....GRRR)

sp and atma is much less stressful and not as much of a hassle